The silence, the pause, the unspoken words

Fishfish thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 12 years ago
Dear Friends,

Many of you may recollect that in KS there was a Jai / Bani scene, where Bani was upset with Jai and goes away to Pia's place, Rano goes to visit her and then she and Sahil trick Jai / Bani and try to make them speak to each other, the moment Bani hears Jai's voice on the mobile she goes quiet and Jai not getting any response knows immediately it was Bani not Rano on the phone as Sahil told him... then Jai begs Bani to come home, he opens his heart telling her how he misses her in his daily routine...it is one of my favourite scenes from that serial..Sometime back I was reading an interview of the great Paresh Rawal, he was asked what is one role he cannot play, he replied 'Romance' for I cannot run around the trees for me 'Romance' means a lot of silence...

A little while ago, I was watching Chandragupt Maurya, a nice serial but then it has its own bloopers and flaws...the scene I loved in yesterday's episode is 'Chanakya tells Chandragupt that time has come for him to use all the teachings he has learnt from Chanakya, he has to pass through some of his toughest times, Chandragupta once again takes his oath to serve his guru to the fullest, Chanakya then blesses him, makes him unconscious and goes and handovers him to thier enemy in lieu of his disciple Bhadrabhat who had been taken prisioner earlier...now released Bhadrabhatt watches Chandragupt being carried away, he has the common sense not to question his Guru in front of the enemoy and I was applauding the creatives for coming up with such a nice scene only when in the next scene they were out of the limits, Bhadrabhatt questions Chanakya's gesture...grrr...

Chanakya was known for his cunningness infact he was shown going to various kingdoms advising kings and Bhadrabhatt had seen how Chanakya had groomed Chandragupt, was it necessary to question is Guru here? I know he has the right to be curious but for me the intensity of the scene goes away when you ask for answers, as viewers we are not dumb, we know whatever Chanakya has done he must have some trick up his mind, let the story unfold...

This week in BALH, there was a scene at the roka Priya finds out it is her and not her sister Ram Kapoor wants to marry, she throws a fit and her temper and says what not to Ram who answers back...I was discussing the same scene with my friend M-M (Shweta) who told me she sees nothing wrong as even the most dignified people lose their temper once in a while...somehow I could not agree with her...for me silence speaks alot, specially in situation which is volatile, there was already a misunderstanding and Priya was shocked...if she could only utter half a sentence, 'I know Mr Kapoor you are desperate to see your sister settled but at this cost ...she goes silent and runs out of the room...I am sure the message she wanted to put across Ram shouting on top her voice would have been conveyed more effectively with minimum words, a lot of pauses and silence...

Long time back there was a serial called Buniyaad in TV, Lajoji and Masterji...the shy masterji never had words to express his love for Lajoji...Lajoji knew it and sometimes taunted him...Anita Kanwar and Aloknath were not exactly good looking hot romantic lead like we see today but I remember from my grandmother to mother to us we loved their chemistry, the shy masterji, the teasing Laloji, they understood each other without speaking at times...

Yes friends, the high drama, the need to explain every scene, every motive and more so in a visiual media where we can see the expressions of the actors is it required? The screen play should be such where silence, pauses and expressions and of course some required words should be enough to deliver the story...Your thoughts friends, Love Tin

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shanti05 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Great explanation but somewhere since ram was clueless that the opposite party thought the alliance was for priyas sister he somewhere was totally insulted maybe feeling that how could I even think of settling down with Ayesha who is as much age as his very own natz . I would have wished a small private talk and smaller tone of accusation . At the spear of the moment it was too volatile of the opponent to be bombarded with high remarks
May be each one is right at their place just my pov
Fishfish thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
@Shanti, Precisely the reason Priya should be speechless, there is no love lost between Ram and Priya and they did not meet under friendly circumstances in the past, Ram wanting to marry Ayesha (assumed) must have made Priya hate Ram more for cradle snatching but then she agreed as her sister saw him short cut to her dreams (grr) now that Ram actually wants to marry her shocks Priya, makes her realise or makes her believe to get rid of her to smoothen the way of his sister to settle down, Ram has decided to marry her in desperation, she is angry no doubt but she wants no pity, she is disgusted...in short...that is my take and yes I would then want Ram to realise what can go through her mind, he is a matured man and he goes and has a small talk with Priya as you said...keeping in mind their age, such a scene would have been perfect... Edited by tintiny - 12 years ago
bikerider thumbnail
@tintiny.
πŸ‘ very good points. yes indeed . now subtality is a virtue thats gone from serilals ., its all high end drama shouting, zooming of camera angles etc 🀒

I would have preffered a silence or a private talk.
now i want to know what is discussion that happens between RAYA so that they look happy the way they look inpromo

avivakirk thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Regarding  the topic of silences, it's slowly going into oblivion...It's the age of din and noise...People have to outdo one another to make themselves heard...Silences speaks volumes.  Ram and Priya's previous encounters ,were ,u could literally feel the quiet ,underlying chemistry btwn them.The rain sceneπŸ˜ƒβ˜ΊοΈwas so memorable.
Well I'm looking forward to their engagement...So not crying over last episode.
On another note I can never forget  Amitji's and Jayaji's  quiet lovelocks!

Great Post!πŸ‘πŸΌ
Edited by avivakirk - 12 years ago
Sphallolalia thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Enjoyed reading your post, and totally agree with the references.

Brought back memories of someone who  kept silent on the phone often and said "I like the fact that we don't have to fill every gap,and am content knowing that you are at the other end of the line" πŸ˜­

Like you said,an unfinished sentence, an eye-lock with Ram or just a single line to her Dad 'take me home' while the Mothers spoke about the misunderstanding,would've been more powerful...it was  an opportunity to show Priya's vulnerability, as already she had done some bhashan after the engagement broke and been sarcy to Ram and put him in his place...
well that's just my two cents worth...

Anyway, less is more, but then subtlety isn't their forte!
Edited by trinket - 12 years ago
avivakirk thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: trinket

Enjoyed reading your post, and totally agree with the references.

Brought back memories of someone who  kept silent on the phone often and said "I like the fact that we don't have to fill every gap,and am content knowing that you are at the other end of the line" πŸ˜­

Like you said,an unfinished sentence, an eye-lock with Ram or just a single line to her Dad 'take me home' while the Mothers spoke about the misunderstanding,would've been more powerful...it was  an opportunity to show Priya's vulnerability, as already she had done some bhashan after the engagement broke and been sarcy to Ram and put him in his place...
well that's just my two cents worth...

Anyway, less is more, but then subtlety isn't their forte!

Wow ! what a profound statement!
suwas thumbnail
It would could have been done better with less worlds. All she could have said was thatt she wants to talk to Mr. Ram in private or just should have walked out...
Sphallolalia thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: avivakirk

Wow ! what a profound statement!

Yeah, he was quite good with his words... gone too soon 
hamzanuha thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail

Great topic & great points by everyone.

It's the age of cacophony & brash gaudy display. Subtlety is long dead, not just in reel world but in the real world too. Any practitioners of subtlety will have to explain in detail as the world at large needs words to understand emotions. It's almost as if the silence is scary.

It's like the character of Priya has undergone a change from the understanding, sacrificing sort-of like abla nari to a shrewish one (a wierd combo of Shipra-Nuts-Nihu). But then Ram is no tamer of the shrew, merely a sacrificial lamb, um, calf, no no ummm, ox πŸ˜‰πŸ˜ˆ