Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

~LiL*PrInCeZ~ thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
wow so polygamy seems 2 b a more popular issue than purdah...aparna di if u want u can separate da 2 topics and move my post abt it der
sowmyaa thumbnail

Originally posted by: Rindam

Well, for me personally, if my husband were to mentally be with someone else but with me physically and financially and such, then no that is not enough for me. I want everything or nothing at all. I think a woman should be able to fend for herself and her own if the need arises. I think a woman must be able to think for herself if she wants to be in such a relationship at all. Government must influence her decision with awareness and education not think for her by passing laws. The government must have laws that support a woman that protect in more than just sexual preferences of men.

πŸ‘ well said Rindam.
Rindam thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Thanks hun, My two pence on purdah.

I think the concept of purdah, not literally the exact dress, but similar to Hijab exists in India among Hindu women as well. A lot of women are expected to cover their head with the Saree as a mark of respect when they touch elders feet or when such elders are around. This is almost like a reflex action for some of my friends mother's. Wheter this truly bothers them or not or they dont even think about it I dont know.

I have not seen this in the southern states, only Rajasthan and UP among the friends that are close.
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Minnie

Beleive, for once you write something, it has to be smething ripped off from an article.....πŸ˜†

WHERE did I say that polygamy was banned by scriptures? READ. I DID NOT say it was banned by scriptures, I said it was banned by LAW, specifically by the Hindu Marriage Act passed in 1956.

Before that, Hindu men were allwowed to take multiple wives, and many men married many times, mostly becasue in those days having an unmarried girl over 13 in the house both in the Hindu and the muslim society was a stigma, so the parents of both communities married their girls off to whoever was availble, no matter how old. In those days, female mortality was high too due to death by didease or child birth, so men often lost wives and so remarried many times. Still, having more than one wife at a time was not really a norm even in those days. Can you think or know of anyone in your grandfather or greatgrandfather's time having more than one wife at the same time? I am not talking of remarriage after the demise of the first wife, but polygamy.

I think No Need to wear purdha....cos Women are intelligent, caring and loving.  Women have alot to offer society.  Women can be nurses, doctors, teachers and lawyers.  Yet, Purdah would keep women from filling these roles.  If a woman is in Purdah, she could not be a doctor. years before women treated as sex objects and etc etc but now a days Women are looked at as individuals who are judged not by their physical beauty but by their inner beauty and mind..........😊

~LiL*PrInCeZ~ thumbnail

Originally posted by: Believe

I think No Need to wear purdha....cos Women are intelligent, caring and loving.  Women have alot to offer society.  Women can be nurses, doctors, teachers and lawyers.  Yet, Purdah would keep women from filling these roles.  If a woman is in Purdah, she could not be a doctor. years before women treated as sex objects and etc etc but now a days Women are looked at as individuals who are judged not by their physical beauty but by their inner beauty and mind..........😊

I STRONGLY Disagree!! How dus dressn modestly prevent a woman frm freely being able 2 express herself? modest dressing dus not interfere with her work and it shud have no effect in her individualized and liberal life...dus wearing a turban prevent a sardar frm being a dr or wateva else he wants 2 be? wat abt the Jews hu wear a yamaca? so u prolly think these comparisions rnt accurate. but they r!....how dus da way u dress affect ur woork status?

Hijab liberates a woman and it dusnt bind her. Islamic clothig allows ppl 2 c da woman 4 hu she is in da inside not da way her body or she luks...it puts less stress on outer beauty and more on inner beauty and isnt dat wat all women want?

u said women WERE treated as sex objects and now as individuals...well heres a reality check....DER NOT!

all these item numbers in movies and da music videos and songs and women..is dat not treating dem like sex objects? wen women choose 2 expose dem selves dey r givin in 2 men and loosing der rites as individuals and makin demselves weaker

-Believe- thumbnail

Originally posted by: ~PaKi*PrInCeZ~

I STRONGLY Disagree!! How dus dressn modestly prevent a woman frm freely being able 2 express herself? modest dressing dus not interfere with her work and it shud have no effect in her individualized and liberal life...dus wearing a turban prevent a sardar frm being a dr or wateva else he wants 2 be? wat abt the Jews hu wear a yamaca? so u prolly think these comparisions rnt accurate. but they r!....how dus da way u dress affect ur woork status?

Hijab liberates a woman and it dusnt bind her. Islamic clothig allows ppl 2 c da woman 4 hu she is in da inside not da way her body or she luks...it puts less stress on outer beauty and more on inner beauty and isnt dat wat all women want?

u said women WERE treated as sex objects and now as individuals...well heres a reality check....DER NOT!

all these item numbers in movies and da music videos and songs and women..is dat not treating dem like sex objects? wen women choose 2 expose dem selves dey r givin in 2 men and loosing der rites as individuals and makin demselves weaker

Look now a days womens doing all these things not by forcing, its their own freedom, if Sania mirza wear purdha she cant play,Banzeer butto wear purdha and cover her face she cant be a leadar, its depend upon the situation common yaaar...😊 .... if your feel secure in purdha then do it whos telling dont wear,...😊.

-Believe- thumbnail

Originally posted by: Vishesh

heyyyyyy paki princez... don't be so strongly disagree...

it is 'believe' problem..!!! he again.. copied a little portion from "Angela's thought.. " ..  u need to read her thought.. carefully .. before writng above thought .. she also said in previous paragraph..

"Now, I started to read a few things on Purdah and I can't understand it"

after writing that.. she has written those thoughts which 'believe' quoted..

don't ask me..who is Angela πŸ˜† 

(that will be Ad of anothr forum... i will PM the link to u... or anyone if being asked)

Believe don't be angry on me... the word "a lot".. is misspelt there too as "alot".. so it is simply cut n paste.. with everything as usual πŸ˜‰

same thought can be happn yaar....am not angry 😊....i agree with angela 's thoughts so thats y i paste there...any probs😳.........

-Believe- thumbnail

Originally posted by: Vishesh

"Believe" no problem..
and i was not complaining..
this topic is really very interesting..and ppl are really writing many good thoughts here..
πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘
and i thought this Topic is "Topic: polygamy and Purdah - Woman's view?" so i was reading women's view..

we shud not chat here... both of us spoiled one very good Topic in past..

i was just helping others.. so that they can understand the "quotes" in correct context... and can be disagree/agreee with it ..in proper way..

the way Minnie.. commented on Dr Zakir's comment ... that was brilliant..

i am just speechless by these good thoughts by other ppl.., i didn't mean to interrupt this topic.. i just tried to help others.., so that they can discuss it better.. and i can enjoy and learn more by reading this..
πŸ‘
😊

okey....keep it up....😊.... but dont support for all waste topic if it saying a girl.......😳 i notice that....πŸ˜ƒ

Lady In Pink thumbnail

Originally posted by: Aparna_BD

purdah question - Is it mandatory in Pakistani schools and Colleges for girls to wear them ?

Hey......sorry i know im late Aparna di, laikan i absolutely HAD to comment on this πŸ˜›

Im a muslim, i live in Pakistan , Karachi. It is a big city---its considered to b the most modern city in Pakistan. Thankfully, v are not forced to wear burkhas n all tht(**phew**) ITs a free city. U'll always find me in a pair of jeans n a t-shirt πŸ˜ƒ

We do hav uniforms in school though.But i feel thts not too bad, since if there were no uniforms, id spent too much of my time on deciding wht to wear πŸ˜† 😳
Edited by EiShA - 18 years ago
sowmyaa thumbnail

Originally posted by: Rindam

Thanks hun, My two pence on purdah.

I think the concept of purdah, not literally the exact dress, but similar to Hijab exists in India among Hindu women as well. A lot of women are expected to cover their head with the Saree as a mark of respect when they touch elders feet or when such elders are around. This is almost like a reflex action for some of my friends mother's. Wheter this truly bothers them or not or they dont even think about it I dont know.

I have not seen this in the southern states, only Rajasthan and UP among the friends that are close.

I agree with you Rindam. I had a friend who was Marwadi and her bhabhi used to always put "ghunghat" all the time even while cooking. and I had a Rajput friend and whenever I used to go to his place his mother didn't come and joined us in living room and was not allowed to sit with men in main room. However, in both these families the later generation my friend and his sisters were very casual, but I am sure that they were to wear that "ghunghat" once they got married. I don't understand this concept and it does annoy me. Why in today's world where we call ourself "advanced" men still impose their thoughts about having women put ghunghat and purdah. As far as I think, no women would personally love to bein purdah or ghunghat. They too would like to move around freely live everyother creature on earth. Then why impose them to have purdah. As we are on this topic I have a very good friend who is Marwadi and she was always seen in jeans during our college days. Last time I visited India she came to meet me from Rajasthan and was wearing jeans. I told her that it's good that you still get to wear all this clothes (i remember she told in tehir community she can't wear this) and then she explained me that just 'coz she is visitn her parents' she is wearing this and in her sasural she still wears "ghunghat". Now i cannot imagine her sitting at home not allowed to work and just staying in ghunghat!! It's like wasting all her tallents. I remember my grandmother used to tell me how her "father-in-law" used to tell them to put "nail" in their head so while doing dishes their "Ghunghat" does not fall down. And when I sit with my father-in-law and we debate about issues or we chat sitting on same couch my MIL tells me that during their days they were not allowed to sit in the room their FIL was sitting. Those were the days..... and I think we should change our tradition and our thoughts as we move forward. People like my friend are and her husband are educated enough to know that they should get out of such traditions and treat women as a Human!!!

Friends, I know this topic was based on Purdah but I didn't know much about the culture I am sharing views and my experience.