Charlie and Denise: Back to Court

pinkstarrs_9 thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Apparently, Charlie Sheen slipped his wedding band back on his finger a little prematurely

Just two months after the Two and a Half Men star confidently flashed his ring and claimed things with Denise Richards were "really good" during an appearance on the Late Late Show, Richards has announced through her rep that she is "moving forward with divorce proceedings."

On Wednesday, both halves of the couple asked that their divorce case be removed from Los Angeles Superior Court and handed over to a private arbiter.

Richards originally filed for divorce in March 2005, citing irreconcilable differences as the reason behind the split from her husband of almost three years. At the time, she was six months pregnant with the couple's second child.

Following the birth of their daughter, Lola, in June (an event attended by Sheen), the on-again, off-again twosome seemed to be making strides towards a possible reconciliation.

They were frequently photographed together in the company of Lola and their older daughter, Sam, and Sheen was not shy about professing his belief that he could resuscitate his damaged marriage.

In September, he appeared on The Late Show with David Letterman and announced that he and Richards were trying to move past their problems.

"We're working toward getting back together and fixing things," Sheen said.

Though neither Sheen nor Richards publicly gave a reason for the split, Sheen admitted to Letterman that the breakup may have come about due to some regrettable actions on his own part.

"I think the one thing I would point to as a primary reason, basically, is that I was a gigantic ass," he said, adding, "It's the first time I got dumped in my life."

However, the former Hollywood bad boy denied that he had ever been unfaithful to Richards and even issued a statement, calling allegations to that effect "unconscionable."

Then, in November, Sheen made his Late Late Show appearance, during which he referred to his wedding band-clad finger as a "pretty good indication" of what was going on in his relationship with Richards.

While Richards steered clear of discussing her love life on the late-night television circuit, appearances seemed to suggest she, too, was interested in making the marriage work.

She was seen sporting a large diamond sparkler on her left ring finger--a reported gift from Sheen--and attended a 65th birthday bash for her father-in law Martin Sheen, in August.

But despite the couple's best efforts, their attempts to reconcile didn't take, prompting reactivation of the divorce case.

In her initial filing, Richards requested custody of the children with visitation rights for Sheen, and spousal support payments. Sheen fired back with divorce papers of his own, seeking joint physical and legal custody of the kids and requesting that neither party be awarded spousal support.

It remains unclear whether either party plans to make amends to their original court documents

Edited by pinkstarrs_9 - 18 years ago