Alisha Chinai post super smashing ‘Kajra

sheetald thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Alisha Chinai again finds herself hugging the headlines after 'Kajra Re'- the song that has almost gone ahead to become the national anthem. She is the pioneer of Indipop and is the true blue Indian pop diva. Her collection of individual pop hits alone makes her a pop queen. Not to mention her equal numbers of hits in Bollywood play backing. We also saw her recently rocking the MTV Immies.  And Alisha is still in her lively and sparkly best. We catch up with the singer as she celebrates her New Year's Eve in Kolkata.

Excerpts from the Interview:

Is your visit to the city just for the sake of celebration or something more is in store?

I'm looking forward to spend an enjoying time in the New Year at Kolkata. Other than that there is also a performance in store. This is my first visit to the city after Kajra re are people are expecting a livewire from me this New Year. 

'Made in India' made you really big. But after that why didn't we have more of you?

As an artiste I'm always on a look out to do satisfying and quality work. After 'Made in India' I didn't come across anything that good and exciting to give another shot. And it was useless to be a part of the limelight when you're actually doing nothing. So I decided to take a break.

Is 'Kajara Re' a comeback of sorts for you?

May be because I'm once again thrilled by the way the music industry is shaping up. The ongoing music trends suit my taste and preference. I'm enjoying the melody and the lyrics. I would be more comfortable singing such numbers. So may be you'll see more of me now.

Other than Bollywood music, what is your take on the Indipop and remix scene?

Such genre of music is in vogue now and people like them. They're extremely popular. I believe that it is also a creative side of music and the artiste should do the way he feels. We can't say that there is no creativity in a pop or remix numbers. They too showcase the probable talent of an artiste.

Has Kajra re unleashed a new life in you?

Indeed I'm feeling great once again with the appreciations pouring in. People all over have liked the song and it is an achievement of sorts. The song has almost become a national anthem. You know when I bagged the song and also recorded it I didn't feel it to be anything special, leave aside the expectations of it becoming a hit. So I just sang the track just like that. Now I realize what big a chartbuster it has turned out to be.

Where do you look from here?

I've been working in an album and have just wrapped it up. The album has been produced, picturised and recorded in London. It'll hit the market next year. I'm also singing some Bollywood stuff for Don The Remake, The Killer and Dhoom II. I'm having quite a busy time. But I'm enjoying it.