TOI: Saas Bahu shows rock-Jhanvi

Armu4eva thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago

Saas-bahu shows still rock the charts: Jhanvi

Amrita Mulchandani, TNN | May 24, 2011, 12.00am IST

Radio was her first introduction to the world of entertainment. And from being an RJ, today she has moved on to the small screen. Jhanvi Dave has come a long way since then. 

She debuted in the show Ek Packet Umeed and she thanks producer JD Majethia for giving her a break. Interestingly, JD was there on her show once and she says, "He offered me the role and so far it has been good." 

Currently Jhanvi (an Amdavdi girl) is doing the late night daily, Kismat where she plays the role of a 16-year-old and has gradually moved on to playing a married woman in the show. "Being a period drama, my entry in the show was very well-introduced. It was fun playing the role of a 16-year-old. Playing a role is not a problem as everyone has a teenager within him/her but looking 16 is a little difficult. I am glad that everyone told me that I looked quite perfect for that role," says Jhanvi who is in her mid 20s. Jhanvi who was earlier seen in Rishta.com and few other shows wants to be careful and choosy about the kind of work she does. 

A successful RJ and an actress today, Jhanvi loves to work in both the mediums. "I have great regard for people working with radio. Acting excites me as I can learn so many things everyday. If time permits, I wouldn't mind doing RJ-ing and acting at the same time," she laughs. 

Talking of saas-bahu shows, she says, "I don't know who watches these shows. There have been youth shows like Miley Jab Hum Tum, Dill Mill Gayye, Seven and Khotey Sikkey. It is easy to say that we need changes but are we ready for the new shows? When it comes to TRPs saas-bahu shows still rock the charts. The shift is gradually happening and I hope more changes happen in the coming days," she says. 

With the number of fresh faces becoming a part of our industry every now and then, is it more easy for a newcomer to carve her own place in the world of television? "Today as there are number of reality shows, becoming a part of telly industry has become easier. Even producers look for new faces and so the entry is more easily accessible today," says Jhanvi and adds, "I feel TV industry will soon be ruled by Amdavadis. I meet so many new people and they all come from Ahmedabad." 

We are sure she has a very hectic schedule but does she manage to visit her hometown? "I am very keen to come back to Ahmedabad. I make it a point to visit Ahmedabad every three months. I am surprised to see the kind of changes and developments are happening in the city. Every time I come back here, I see a new Ahmedabad. During my college days, I used to hang out at IIM kitli with my friends and now it all looks so different. On the other hand, Mumbai doesn't change so much," she says. 

Jhanvi unwinds by attending acting workshops, yoga classes and she also loves her lessons in contemporary and jazz dance and Urdu. "I feel Urdu has a touch of romance and I am keen on learning it," she shares.