Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 13 years ago

Originally posted by: ladygaga

Maya i am not denying rajini's star power... just like Ash is called the most beautiful woman in the world, srk has crazy german fans, i used to hear  this thing about srk being the biggest superstar in the whole world again and again.. his movies used to open very hugely in UK box office.. but have any of these people acheived constant and consistent success in oveseas markets.. maybe one or two of their movies have done well.. but do they enjoy recognition at the level of a hollywood star.. or do their movies score as high as even an average hollywood movie.. i don't think soo.. most of these so called superstar's appeal is fairly limited.. specially in terms of other international stars...and their movies fail to get international recogniton also...

Of course the Khans have Star Power. They started in the 90s and still leading the roost. Many other Tamil actors who started in the 90s have withered away. Rajnikanth still enjoys Star Power and success. He used to act in Rajesh Khanna/Mr. Bachchan's remakes and vice versa. Now I believe his health permits only one film in few years and that becomes this huge hit.

And if it was just confined to South India then this wouldn't be happening. NDTV's Entertainer of the Decade: Rajinikanth

Star Power means someone who can bring audience to the hall year after year and give blockbusters. Here's this Sexagenarian man who's doing that for decades. That's all. Now we can make our own assumptions.
gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
LG: I see what you mean..yeah its hard to make movies that please all of them.

Mages: 90's era was the best for me because that defines my childhood..plus the movies were more watchable than many of today's also. There are some good things about today's cinema--like small budget films work more..and the audience is paying more and more heed to the script of a movie..

I agree about the 3 Khans looking old and not suiting their lead heroines. They really do look like their uncles. I honestly think Priyanka is the only current popular actress who looks good with Salman, and somewhat better than the others with SRK. She has not worked with Aamir yet, so I can't judge. But I kinda feel like Juhi was the last actress Aamir had any chemistry with. The others look like their sisters/daughters/nieces..

That's kinda what I mean..Rajni's movies are massive blockbusters (biggest in Indian history) but most of the revenue comes from the South. He has amazing star power though definitely :) See I haven't grown up on Rajni (I am not South Indian) so I never knew much about him..Endhiran/Robot is my first actual introduction to Rajni's star power..
Before I logout,

And I don't understand Rajni phenomenon because I don't get his antics, cig throwing, walk, talk nothing.

Though I'm a lover of serious cinema, I do watch all sorts of films from slapstick (even Govinda ones) to romance (I love mush). I like cinema period. I tried Dabangg which was ATBB (I wanted to follow the herd as everyone here was quoting this acronym today) but I couldn't sit beyond 25 mins. It was horrible.

Now again I don't know how it became a blockbuster but then there are so many things that I don't know and I can't explain so I just leave it. My not understating the film or its success doesn't change the fact that it was a blockbuster of last year. And yes, that makes Salman a huge Star. Actor? Meh.

Originally posted by: Dexterphile

Thats your definition. Mine is different. I find Salman worse than Hrithik when it comes to acting, which is saying a lot. But despite his weakness, he has survived almost 25 years as an "actor". If thats not a star, Idk what is. SRK, Aamir, Salman, Bacchan Sr. are all stars. Their acting potential can be debated, their box office success and failures can vary. But their stardom remains the same. If you can sustain your fan following for all these years, then you definitely have a hold over your audience. That equates to stardom for me. 

I agree with everything you said but if you notice, I never denied that he is a star. I was merely commenting on how he cant be called the number one star. Although I should have said that Rajnikanth is the true definition of the number one star, or rather a superstar because he has the crappiest movies ever and by crap, I mean CRAP but dear lord, they somehow become superhits and blockbusters. When Salman Khan's crappy movies were coming out before he made his comeback, even Katrina couldnt prevent his movie from flopping. All his movies were not only flopping big time but also get poor openings, which is not indicative of stardom (e.g Katrina Kaif, every movie of hers gets thunderous openings, Rajni does, Amir does). He is just a temporary star. 

And talking about fans, of course they wont let go of their celeb. We have plenty of fanbots of different stars who wont let go of their favourites, no matter how unsuccessful they are. *cough*Sonam*cough*. Salman is a star no doubt, but I doubt he is worthy of the number one position. 
ladygaga thumbnail

Originally posted by: TheDilettante

Before I logout,

And I don't understand Rajni phenomenon because I don't get his antics, cig throwing, walk, talk nothing.

Though I'm a lover of serious cinema, I do watch all sorts of films from slapstick (even Govinda ones) to romance (I love mush). I like cinema period. I tried Dabangg which was ATBB (I wanted to follow the herd as everyone here was quoting this acronym today) but I couldn't sit beyond 25 mins. It was horrible.

Now again I don't know how it became a blockbuster but then there are so many things that I don't know and I can't explain so I just leave it. My not understating the film or its success doesn't change the fact that it was a blockbuster of last year. And yes, that makes Salman a huge Star. Actor? Meh.

He clearly doesn't appeal to the bollywood watching audience... he sorta reminds me of mithunda and govinda... he has that sort of an appeal... and i don't think many of his movies have even had extensive release in north india... only robot or maybe shivaji.. and his movies weren't even publicized to the bolly watching audience.. i was always aware of him.. but i don't remember watching any of his movie's trailers or anything...
ZoobiDoobi thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
Will be? He is already for me. 😎
SidNeeti-fan thumbnail
soonn b # 1??😕hello he is number 1..duh...remember dabang breakin box office records
Gadar also broke box office records, does that make Amisha Patel the number one star?
Guddu.Pandit thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5

Sarcastic Chatterbox

Originally posted by: eraser

Gadar also broke box office records, does that make Amisha Patel the number one star?

Ya She is... and will remain proud of being the part of a "A L L = T I M E = B L O C K B U S T E R" movie... ðŸ¤£

skipping the essays. 

🤪-me!