TOI: Take Two --- Aashka Goradia

Armu4eva thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago

TAKE TWO 

Television actors who were once playing lead actors are now seen in character roles.AT takes a look 

Amrita Mulchandani 

Its a brutal world out there in showbiz.The highs can be intoxicating but not necessarily permanent.Thats what makes the whole world of glamor and glitz so very unpredictable.Yes,as they do say that once an actor will always be an actor.But equations change on the small screen even before one can flip the channel and the role changes from a lead one to a character one.There was a time when we saw actors like Nausheen Ali Sardar,Aman Verma,Amar Upadhyay,Aashka Goradia,Reva Babbar,Nikhil Arya,Abhigail Pandey,Additi Gupta and Sakshi Tanwar grabbing eyeballs and garnering maximum TRPs as lead actors.They were hot favorites of prime time television and heartthrobs until recently.The small screen audiences loved them,night after night.But its a different story today.Now actors Nikhil Arya (Tere Liye),Aashka Goradia (Laagi Tujhse Lagan),Aman Verma (Na Ana Is Des... Laado) and an upcoming show),Additi Gupta (Sanjog Se Bani Sangini),Reva Babbar (Ram Milaye Jodi) and Nausheen Ali Sardar (Beendh Banooga Ghodi Chadoonga ) are essaying character roles.Going by the requirement of the creative shows on air these days,fresh faces are in demand.There are also a lot of shows made on youth,so one has to cast youngsters in them, says TV producer,Sudhir Sharma.Agrees Chloe Ferns,creative head of a show,The year 2000 saw tremendous groW*H for the television industry.So telly actors became superstars overnight but today the scenario has changed.There are loads of TV channels and shows and thats why an element of freshness is required.Audiences tastes have also changed and they are bored of watching the same faces.Once they relate to an actor as a particular character,they dont want to see him/her essay another character. Chloe adds,The big stars will be back on the small screen only if a script demands their presence.They now want to do roles that they are comfortable in.In Bollywood scripts are written keeping in mind Amitabh Bachchan We need something of that sort on television too. Isnt it getting an established actor better than hiring new faces Experienced actors demand a high fee.Today,it is important to invest wisely.Moreover,established actors do not guarantee TRPs or commitment, says Sudhir.Overexposure of an actor is a no-no on TV.Show makers want new look for their shows and prefer new actors.Also the audiences does not accept lead actors playing another character sometimes.Channels do not want to take risks by roping in established actors, says director,Rajan Waghdhare.He adds,Lead actors have a limited shelf life their career span lasts up to five years.To be successful,the actors need to change their genre. Ask actor Riva Babber on why she chose to play mom when she was once the second lead in the immediate past and she says,Ive already played mom to actors who were elder than me in Kyunki... ! And rather than playing a sister or bhabhi I prefer playing the female leads mom. While actor Aman Verma feels that there is a major change in the age of an actor.Today a 20 year old girl plays a 16 year olds mom,a 30-35 year old woman plays grandmom,and a 16 year old girl plays the main lead.Times are changing and actors who are changing according to market demands,survive.I could experiment as an actor because I worked during the groW*H period of the TV industry. Aman says that that if actors work on themselves,grabbing a variety of roles would be easier.Ronit (Roy) and Shweta (Tiwari) have managed to do lead roles as they have maintained themselves.We have to push ourselves, says Aman.For small screens limelight moths,being visible in strong character roles is important,because what matters at the end of the day is attracting attention and staying in news,besides of course creative satisfaction.

(With inputs by Shruti Jambhekar) 

[email protected]

Nikhil Arya 

Aashka Goradia 

Aditi Gupta 

Aman Verma 

Nausheen Ali Sardar 

Ahmedabad Times [Next]

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Srushti- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 7
hi Armu I just read this in Ahmedabad times and logged in knowing that you must have tagged AG in the forum article post๐Ÿ˜†
But somebody should tell them that unlike Nikhil Arya, AG has far more imp role in LTL....Her character is awesome and is one of the strongest in LTL...
Thanks ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
TheRager thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
I think Nikhil Arya, Aditi and Aashka play very important roles even if they are not the male or female protagonist. So its fine. Its better to play strong character roles rather than some silly lead role. Also these 3 still play their age.
I feel Nausheen or Reva playing a 21-22 year old character's mother is a strict no-no. Its simply ridiculous.
Prinsesse.Suvi thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Thanks for sharing...haye that kusum wali lady is there too...I saw her once! She was at my cousin's school..I think
Armu4eva thumbnail

Originally posted by: -Srushti-

hi Armu I just read this in Ahmedabad times and logged in knowing that you must have tagged AG in the forum article post๐Ÿ˜†
But somebody should tell them that unlike Nikhil Arya, AG has far more imp role in LTL....Her character is awesome and is one of the strongest in LTL...
Thanks ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I agree of the list... Aashka and Aditi are doing really strong roles..n Aashka is simply mindblowing ๐Ÿ˜Š

Btw... are u from Ahmedabad? ๐Ÿ˜ณ
kabeeraspeaking thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: kshreya2002

Its better to play strong character roles rather than some silly lead role. Also these 3 still play their age.

Totally agree, Ksh. 

I think every role should be a character role actually. REAL actors are the ones who look for character based roles rather than leads from my experience of non-Indian shows too...they guage it for the strength of writing and significancenot the duration of time or magnitude of status. And that's the trick too...if you have a hard-hitting role which provides you with a different range to explore and challenges you, you've only gotten something from the experience and made a distinct mark while at it too...case in point, Anna...that was an absolutely character based role, and a cameo at that, which ended up turning out fantastically for Murli Sharma, who didn't quite need it, but he enjoyed it and did so great at it...it made him memorable to the audience, added another notch to his resume, and creatively satiated him enough that he accepted it in the first place...that is much better than being stuck in a lead role in some chindi serial that has the same formula trip/catch/misunderstanding running on loop. As actors age too, I think they prefer spreading out and trying out different things for creative satisfaction...lead roles aren't going to provide that because hero and heroines are always stuck in archetypes which are only defeated once in a blue moon by something like Dutta, which is also much of a character role due to the strong writing, past and personality given to him.

And AG's role particularly is a fantastic one...she stands out in LTL. What surprises me always too is that VR is so young, yet he doesn't mind playing a character role. If you read his interviews, he actually seems to enjoy the popularity that comes with Baaji and is grateful just for that...for someone who used to play a lead, but now plays 'second fiddle' to put it harshly, that's so pleasantly refreshing. It makes sense too though, because I think something like this actually gives you another dynamic to play (the good friend, brother, advisor, helper), makes for enough money I would suppose, and gives you time to spare as well, which leads otherwise wouldn't have with their on-the-clock and rundown schedules.

Thanks for sharing!
Edited by make-believe - 13 years ago
-Srushti- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: Armu4eva

I agree of the list... Aashka and Aditi are doing really strong roles..n Aashka is simply mindblowing ๐Ÿ˜Š

Btw... are u from Ahmedabad? ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Am so sorry for the late Armu, checked twice for your reply but seem to have have missed this one...LOL...me and meri tinchbutton jaisi aankhen๐Ÿ˜†
Yup from Ahmedabad....and I know I read your real name somewhere in a thread.... but seem to have forgotten...May I know your name plz๐Ÿ˜ณ

TheRager thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: make-believe

Totally agree, Ksh. 

I think every role should be a character role actually. REAL actors are the ones who look for character based roles rather than leads from my experience of non-Indian shows too...they guage it for the strength of writing and significancenot the duration of time or magnitude of status. And that's the trick too...if you have a hard-hitting role which provides you with a different range to explore and challenges you, you've only gotten something from the experience and made a distinct mark while at it too...case in point, Anna...that was an absolutely character based role, and a cameo at that, which ended up turning out fantastically for Murli Sharma, who didn't quite need it, but he enjoyed it and did so great at it...it made him memorable to the audience, added another notch to his resume, and creatively satiated him enough that he accepted it in the first place...that is much better than being stuck in a lead role in some chindi serial that has the same formula trip/catch/misunderstanding running on loop. As actors age too, I think they prefer spreading out and trying out different things for creative satisfaction...lead roles aren't going to provide that because hero and heroines are always stuck in archetypes which are only defeated once in a blue moon by something like Dutta, which is also much of a character role due to the strong writing, past and personality given to him.

And AG's role particularly is a fantastic one...she stands out in LTL. What surprises me always too is that VR is so young, yet he doesn't mind playing a character role. If you read his interviews, he actually seems to enjoy the popularity that comes with Baaji and is grateful just for that...for someone who used to play a lead, but now plays 'second fiddle' to put it harshly, that's so pleasantly refreshing. It makes sense too though, because I think something like this actually gives you another dynamic to play (the good friend, brother, advisor, helper), makes for enough money I would suppose, and gives you time to spare as well, which leads otherwise wouldn't have with their on-the-clock and rundown schedules.

Thanks for sharing!

I think VR satisfaction stems from the his own history with Ranbir Rano. The show was crappy and yet he was fired and the reason told was bad acting. LTL has worked out much better for him...given him more popularity and range of emotions too.
But yes I was initially surprised he took it up as he wouldnt have known how it will work out. But maybe he took it up as Colors has a history of strong supporting roles.
NainaSengal thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
thans for sharing tanuuuuu +hugs+
kiran255 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
well in all of these AG has the best role !
She is the integral part of LTl !
and she has her due importance 
she is not a second person in LTl !

and as FOr Baaji !
his immense popularity has says it all !
Baaji is an amazing character !
he is more popular thn leads of some shows !

and Tanu thanks for shjaring !
Edited by kiran255 - 13 years ago