Shabir The Adrenaline junkie -Interview/Article

Persephone_Pri thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 13 years ago
Adrenaline junkie
Khatron Ke Khiladi champ Shabbir Ahluwalia will host Guinness world records with Preity zinta
Shabbir Ahluwalia wants to be a responsible host on Guinness

Then: He aced one daredevil stunt after another to remain the last man standing on Khatron Ke Khiladi 3.

Now: He will egg on participants as they attempt to break one record after another on Guinness World Records — Ab India Todega. Small-screen heartthrob Shabbir Ahluwalia will join Bolly star Preity Zinta to host the Colors show that will air every Friday and Saturday from March 18.

A t2 chat with the Shootout at Lokhandwala man…

How did the Guinness job fall into your lap?

I have always been a huge Guinness fan. I remember as a kid, it used to air on Doordarshan on Sundays and was one of my favourite shows. I was spellbound by the way people used to make and break records in an instant. I have forgotten the name of the host (David Frost) but I remember he used to make the show very lively and interesting. So when I was told that Colors was bringing Guinness to India, I knew I had to be on it. I walked in for the auditions and the next thing I knew was that I would be hosting the show! It feels great to be part of a format that is so popular the world over, but it also means a lot of responsibility.

You are the outdoor host while Preity will anchor the show from the studio…

Yes, she will handle all the records that will take place indoors while I have to sweat it out for all the hanging-from-a-building, rolling-in-the-mud kind of tasks that will happen outdoor (laughs).

But I know that all the fun will actually take place outside. I am more than happy to host the show on the ground because I know that the records created and broken outside will always be far more challenging and difficult. I am really looking forward to it.

You have hosted popular shows like Nach Baliye, Dancing Queen and Meethi Chhoorii No. 1. How different will hosting a format like Guinness be?

Very, very different. Firstly, all the shows that I have hosted so far have been either talent or fun formats. But Guinness is serious business. Every contestant is going to be someone who has dedicated his or her life to a certain craft. Here we are talking about professionals whose single-minded determination and will power will egg them on to make the impossible possible. Though I haven't shot for the show yet, I know that I will constantly support and encourage every contestant. But I will also underline the danger involved in trying to break a certain record. As a host, it is my duty to show a contestant both sides of the coin — the good as well as the bad, the safe as well as the dangerous. Only when I, as a host, feel that a contestant is fully prepared to perform a task, will I give the go-ahead. It's not the kind of show jahaan pe aaye, do-chaar meethi meethi baatein bolein aur ghar chale gaye. As I mentioned earlier, this is a format that calls for a lot of responsibility on the part of the host.

Preity Zinta on the Guinness show

Any tips for first-time host Preity Zinta?

Oh, this may be her TV debut, but Preity for sure doesn't need any tips from me! We started out doing some publicity shoots together and within the first five minutes, I knew that she was the best person to host the show. Her bindaas, I-am-what-I-am-take-it-or-leave-it attitude is a perfect fit for Guinness, a format that is all about being daring and listening to one's heart. I am really looking forward to hosting the show with Preity because I think she will make a fantastic co-host. Her image on the show will be a lot like Salman's (Khan) on Bigg Boss and that's something I am sure the audience will love.

What do you feel are the keys to being a good TV host?

Presence of mind is extremely important. You should also have a sound knowledge of the show and the contestants. It is important to feel comfortable and make the contestants comfortable. And a good host should always be in control (laughs)!

Will we get to see host Shabbir attempt to break any records?

I am an adrenaline junkie no doubt, but Khatron Ke Khiladi was enough for a lifetime. This time I am just going to take it easy and watch from the sidelines. Something tells me India will win it, India will break it!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

111priyan thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
wow amazing , thanks dear.
prachimishra85 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2