Importance of Love in Life!!

pj04 thumbnail
Posted: 19 years ago

Discussion of the week

We are going to post one very controversial topic every week and invite your opinion on it. However I request you to follow a few basic rules

1) these are just opinions and do not reflect a person's moral/social/ idealogical values so please refrain from name calling and personal attacks

2) keep the post decent (some topics might be infuriating). rest assured they are from what we encounter in our daily life and we expect a honest , healthy and intellectual debate.

3)if you have any ideas for the topics...please forward them to the moderators.

I hope you will take this opportunity to participate in this debate without being judgemental. Open mindedness and tolerance have been the greatest asset of this forum. Also please feel free to send us feedbacks if you would like to continue with these discussions or not.

Ok let's start: Our topic for this week is

LOVE.....HOW IMPORTANT IN LIFE??

Poets, writers,movies and tv shows all have emphasized over and over again how miraculous and gratifying falling in love is....to the extent that most of us yearn to have some one special in our lives pampering us and making our lives worthwhile. however philosphers and the elders in the family tell you , it is a mirage, a fantasy that truly cannot exist in real life(at least not the way picturised in the books and shows). what do you think...how important is love in life, how far are you ready to go to achieve it?                      

LET THE DISCUSSION BEGIN.....

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

*~puja~* thumbnail

LOVE... everyone has a different interpretation of what love is... its an abstract thought, feeling, or state of mind...

i have to say that love does exist, i mean i can't explain why it does, because its a feeling, and it difficult to describe in words... its felt. As for those that believe it doesn't exist, they might not be aware of it or they have just been hurt and don't want to believe in it... Love is an important part of life, without it life is empty and has no meaning... but i don't believe in the filmly love, that doesn't exist... that is just not possible

gehani thumbnail
love................. a feeling it can never be described i can probably explain more better when i am in love
pj04 thumbnail
the question is not wheather there is a feeling called love or not. almost everyone has experienced the feeling at some time or the other. the question is how important is it in life. is it a priority and worth any cost or are there other things more important than it in life and it is wise to choose those materialistic things over feeling called love.
anitha.b thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
For me...

Love is very important than everything. You can have good health, prosperity, fame...but what would be life without your loved one's or without any love in back.

Love is something you cannot live without, It is really virtual.

I found a beautiful Poem on love and this is what I exactly feel too....

When walking through the garden one day I
meandered past the tree of life when I
became enamored by the most divine
dark Rose that nature ever fashioned. So
astounding was the Rose that I was robbed
of speech and breath. I fell onto my knees
and stared until my eyes did hurt. The poor
dark rose had suffered lack of proper care,
resulting in an inert outer shell.
I took great care removing petals scarred
from winter's callous touch. I was amazed
to see inside the tantalizing pink,
dew covered flower open fore my eyes.
A sight so wondrous cannot pass without
adverse effects for those perhaps unlucky,
perhaps most opportune of all. I knelt,
bereft of voice, devoid of breath, and blind;
the Rose, its beauty now replenished, took
great pity on this wretched soul of mine.
Perhaps it was the wind, perhaps it was
celestial intervention, maybe Earth
itself began to shake; you may believe
whatever you decide but as I felt
the Rose incline in my direction I
knew then as I know now no forces were
at play that fateful moment save the Rose
exerting her own will. She chose to give
herself to me that day. When I felt her
soft petals touch my hand, and smelled the dew
that flowed onto my fingers, life became
completely clear. I knew my purpose on
this planet was to find this Rose and love
her evermore. Caressing her long stem,
I felt her shudder faintly as I heard
upon the wind a sigh of consummate
contentment. Leaning in to kiss the Rose,
to taste the sweet ambrosia at her core,
I knew that we were of one mind, brought
together by the strong embrace of love.
As I grasped her roots and pulled her from
the only home that she had ever known,
I promised her that never more would she
endure the harsh effects of winter's grip.
We walked together down the path that leads
I know not where. It matters not, for we,
together, will abide whatever fate
has planned for us. Forever.

- Ferventlove -
bas02 thumbnail

wow, thats a very nice poem smisha, thanks for sharing!

How important is love in life? For me, love is the most important thing in my life. Love is expressed in so many different ways, it can be a love of a mother for her child, or love for friends, or love for that special someone.

If we didn't have the love of our parents then I don't think I would be standing where i am today. It is because of their love for us that we have been given education, luxuries and so many other things that we take for granted.

If we didn't have the love of our friends then what would the world be like? Everybody would keep to themselves, we wouldn't have someones support when needed most.

My point is that love is important in life because it is what keeps us going when times are hard, it is what motivates us, it is what helps us succeed in life, it is what, quite simply, keeps us happy😊. Without it in my life I don't know what kind of person I would be, but I know i would definitely not be the same.

Morgoth thumbnail

Very nice viewpoints Smisha and Bas!👏

Yes, love is indeed important, but its not a bed of roses either - the way it is picturized in Books, television and the movies. That kind of love fizzles out after a few weeks - I dont think that is love at all, but a mirage...a chimera. Materialism creeps up into it anyway - we need material things like food and shelter...Romeo and Juliet, Laila and Majnu were a work of fiction. Fairy-tales do not come true in real life.

Defining love is crucial because without definition, there is no understanding and without understanding, one cannot truly evaluate the importance of love in one's life.

Someone wisely said that you love someone when you can imagine growing older with them. That is what love truly is - it is the satisfaction one gets from life with parents or a spouse or children. It is acceptance and understanding of flaws...it is a source of happiness

I would do what I can for love, but the practical person within me will always look for satisfaction. What is love without satisfaction?

Satisfaction comes only when everything is in moderation - it is only when you become very materialistic or fanatical about a loved one that suffering arises.

Some say love is undefinable. I feel love is an overrated form of satisfaction.

(Sorry if I turned too philosophical there - working on a Buddhism paper😳)

ides thumbnail
excellent discussion folks....

I think the importance of love in one's lie is similar to that of a thumb on a hand....on its own it cant do anything but without it the hand cant do anything....

without love life is barren and inspid......no joy, pleasure or excitement....but life cant be lived on love alone......similarly love alone cant hold a relationship together.....love without compassion or compromise can be obsessive....

In short....No I do not think that love is the be all, end all in the world....most of what the media portrays in the name of love is passion, a very volatile but transient emotion, with a life span of abt a couple of years.....if a relationship stays beyond that, it is because of the presence of likeness, compassion, compromise and friendship.....

pyaraladki thumbnail

i agree with bas. there are different kinds of love and i think every one has experienced it some time or another. i

m happy for those of you who are in love and i hope you continue to make it work.

very good point mystica i look for satisfaction too and i am very picky and careful when it comes to an intimate sort of love cuz ur giving your all to sum1 and it hurts knowing that they can deceive you so i guard myself well which my friends say is not good and perhaps im the only 1 here like that.

but love is important and its important for people to kno wat it means to love sumbody cuz love is a word that comes and goes and few people really know what it means i just wish i could meet sum1 that does.

saroj thumbnail

To love someone or to be loved by someone is the most beautiful thing that can happen in one's life.I have been in love with someone for over 8 years now and this has been the most stabilising factor in my life till date.Being in love has taught me to be more thoughtful,caring and compassionate towards others.Ours was a case of best friends falling in love and it happened over a time period.Love needs to be cherished but one has to stay focussed on other aspects of life as well.Too much of love leads to obsession which is unhealthy for anyone.