Discussion : Accuse affluence for crime - YES/NO.

ieatbrainz thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
This is my first write up on this website. I hope to bring in a thought provoking discussion which is not just related to the show we watch. Besides, I find it quite relevant in the edifice of our modern society.

Does wealth motivate crime and serve to expedite it ?

Money today is entirety to human race. Every single aspect is reckoned in terms of money. Likewise, the affluent make merry out of their monetary worth in every possible field.
A person can earn money and use it to purchase whatever is required for personal sustenance and also utilize it as capital to earn a living. It impersonalizes and democratizes transactions, empowering the possessor with economic voting power that drastically reduce discrimination based on class and status. Money increases the individual's freedom of choice and gives great scope for the development of individual talents and potentials.

While the society becomes wealthier, the significance for culture, ethics, customs and its affability subside. Value for money surrogates emotions like love and affection. The opulent parents express lovingness for their children by giving them money and material possessions. This creates ignorance and carelessness in the minds of the kids which makes them consider that their parents have sufficient resources to get them out on they break any law. Eventually, the commit a felony and never get caught. Such is the magnitude of wealth today.

Why do rich kids commit more crime ? One prompt response could be that the rich kids are 'spoilt brats'.
This means that the rich kids have too much time and money on their hands and, having exhausted their avenues of entertainment, turn to crime for thrills and excitement. Another reason could be their parents who are too busy making money to spend quality time with their offspring, which holds still for the fact that parental neglect could also be possible reason or catalyst for criminal activities. When the kids are not monitored of the activities, they make an erroneous use of the freedom they are entitled to. Not just crimes, they also risk life by feeling imbued with the obsessed use of drugs, nicotine and alcohol. Networking with blasphemous agents deceive to make them part of vicious criminal activities. Resurrecting from chastisement would not be a big deal, but gambling with life would make them pay a huge price.

Contrary to it, the poor class also engages in crime due to scant in resources and rebelliously break up to achieve equality.The crime committed by them is often singled out by the guilty rich strata for especial criticism. The nature of weapons of the rich society criminals ( lobbyists, deregulation, safety shortcuts, heightened production quotas) may not seem as terrifying as the stereotypical criminal use (guns, knives, fists), but its results are deadly and far more widespread.

What to blame ? Money or Conscience ?
Edited by ieatbrainz - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

debayon thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Nice topic, but I think you should post this on Debate Mansion(DM) forum.

Yes, if I were given an option between these, I would actually not choose one of 'em, but rather both of them. Like you rightly said, money and affluence kickstarts a chain of events that leads to a premonition of 'invincibility', like you can do whatever you want and no one can stop you. Just what happened to Mohit, he thought that he could actually drive in a coherent manner after getting drunk and almost lost his GF in the process(not that he cared about her anyways). So, yeah, money plays a biiiig role into this.

However, like they say, your conscience has to be clear too. It's one's mentality that matters the most, if one's conscience is pure, one cannot perform such heinous tasks. But I believe that everyone's conscience is pure, and it is something more external, such as money that obliterates the conscience. I saw the promo of KS's next episode, and they show that the gang, who were once arrogant, brash people, are now supporting the law, and saying stuff like "Par usne galti toh ki hain, saaza toh milni hi chahiye", something that was unthinkable coming from their mouths before.

So yeah, both wealth and attitude matters the most in these cases.

..Naina.. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 7
Damn nice DOTW.

I'll definitely come back to edit this.

But reserved for now.
What a discussion of the week...

Reserved for now as im leaving.... will come later and edit😛
ieatbrainz thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: debayon

Nice topic, but I think you should post this on Debate Mansion(DM) forum.

Hey. Where is the Debate Mansion ? I thought this website has forums only to discuss soaps. Why don't you ask the members to join this discussion ? It'll be fun .

Originally posted by: debayon

However, like they say, your conscience has to be clear too. It's one's mentality that matters the most, if one's conscience is pure, one cannot perform such heinous tasks. But I believe that everyone's conscience is pure, and it is something more external, such as money that obliterates the conscience. I saw the promo of KS's next episode, and they show that the gang, who were once arrogant, brash people, are now supporting the law, and saying stuff like "Par usne galti toh ki hain, saaza toh milni hi chahiye", something that was unthinkable coming from their mouths before.

So yeah, both wealth and attitude matters the most in these cases.

That is a very nice point you have come up with. People assume that money could even buy them conscience and conduct. When people begin to feel that the world is under control of their money, that's the time they don't hasten to perform crimes and get away with it. Also that their eyes could be veiled in covetousness to enhance and protect their riches. It is hard for the affluent to put down arrogance and feel conscience stricken of their misdeeds. The show prospects such a stimulus.

Minionite thumbnail
I really think that what should be blamed is conscience. Many of us think that rich have everything that they could ever dream of, but as time and time again has been seen, the rich have all the things that money can buy. What they lack is love. Even Khote Sikkey shows this.

Where the rich lack in love, they try to make up by making themselves the fear of the world. They commit crimes to cover their conscience and not to make money or gain valuables.

Problems arise when these rich criminals get arrested. Instead of suffering for their crime, they decide that they have a right to be let out. For this, they use their money and position to be let out of jail. This leads to the ultimate conclusion that money is an access card into the crime world.
Edited by luv_cid_shreya - 13 years ago
Shipra_S thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
I would say- conscience. If a person has that criminal streak hidden in him/her, he/she may commit a crime if the need be or otherwise. At the same time, a clear conscience person won't even think of committing a crime as small as theft, even if he/she has a dire need of money. 
Why else there are certain rich people, whom we genuinely respect? 'coz money hasn't blinded them to make them self obsessive n greedy. Inspite of being wealthy, they always believe in being humble n generous. Simultaneously, there are certain not so affluent people in society, who also believe in 'simple living high thinking'. And society respects such people. 

So, in my opinion, 'money' is not as big a factor behind committing a crime, as the 'conscience'. A god fearing person, no matter rich or poor, will never try n commit crime. And vice versa.
Mru_bee thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Nice debate.

I think access to wealth is just a means to an end.

My opinion is it is due to the basic sense of entitlement that each one thinks. Whether they are rich or poor, everyone comes with their own sense of entitlement. And when they are denied that, or perceive that it is being denied to, is when the thought of getting it either by hook or crook take birth.

Whether it is love of a parent, or career path or love a person or simply acceptance in the social structure, it can be justified as a valid reason for committing a crime. Whether one chooses to act on that instinct, is totally dependent on how strong the feeling of entitlement is for the thing that is being denied.

-- Mru

TitansFan thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
nice topic, reserved , will answer once iam back