Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

kabeeraspeaking thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 13 years ago

Originally posted by: nureat01

So is Mishal a variation of the word "Mashaal" then? Cuz that's the word I know of that means "torch" or "flame torch"

Anu, from what I have studied with regards to Arabic grammar, this structure (beginning with the 'Mi' sound compared to 'Ma' or 'Mo') is used for the thing which is used to do the action in the root word...the root word in this name means 'to give light'...so Mishaal would mean the 'instrument which gives light'...I know in Urdu we use Mashaal as the common word for that, but maybe it's due to morphology. In Arabic, the letters forming the 'Ma' sound in the beginning of the word signify that the action (in the root) is being done upon someone...so it would mean 'something which was/is lit'...again though, I think those are very literal meanings and now in evolved language and speech, they would pretty much be interchangeable.

EDIT: @shikhachopra: Like kite16 said, Misaal, meaning example, is without the "Shh" sound. Mishal and Mashaal are very much from the same root/meaning, they are only in different nominal states.
Edited by make-believe - 13 years ago

Originally posted by: kite16

the word meaning example in not mishal its 'misaal', even i dont know wht mishal means

rlyyyyyy??if misaal nd mishal r differnt then mishal=mashal=torch...lolπŸ˜†
AreYaar thumbnail

Originally posted by: make-believe

Anu, from what I have studied with regards to Arabic grammar, this structure (beginning with the 'Mi' sound compared to 'Ma' or 'Mo') is used for the thing which is used to do the action in the root word...the root word in this name means 'to give light'...so Mishaal would mean the 'instrument which gives light'...I know in Urdu we use Mashaal as the common word for that, but maybe it's due to morphology. In Arabic, the letters forming the 'Ma' sound in the beginning of the word signify that the action (in the root) is being done upon someone...so it would mean 'something which was lit'...again though, I think those are very literal meaning and now in evolved language and speech, they would pretty much be interchangeable.

Ohhh so there's morphology at work here too? Hmmmm I dunno what to think now....is this a combination of Mashaal and Misaal?πŸ˜†....just one letter changed here and there and the meaning can go anywhereπŸ˜†

Oh thanks! This clears things up....I also always thought MASHAAL meant torch, not Mishal....so Mishal means example or trend? NiceπŸ˜† Either ways, it suits himπŸ˜†

i think so bt now kite doesnt agree...this mishal will make us crazy sum day...πŸ˜†
AreYaar thumbnail
How come ppl never ask Mishal the meaning of his name in interviews and he's asked allllllllllll sorts of stupid questions instead?....koi dhang ka interviewer nahin gaya kabhi uske paas? And all these random ppl happily butcher his name on TV tooπŸ˜†.....You'd think that given it's such an unusual name, that's the FIRST thing ppl would ask him....πŸ˜•

How come ppl never ask Mishal the meaning of his name in interviews and he's asked allllllllllll sorts of stupid questions instead?....koi dhang ka interviewer nahin gaya kabhi uske paas? And all these random ppl happily butcher his name on TV tooπŸ˜†.....You'd think that given it's such an unusual name, that's the FIRST thing ppl would ask him....πŸ˜•

i just hate it when wassup tv anchor call him...MISH--EEL.....😲....seiously these media ppl😲
kabeeraspeaking thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Arey, he would say light/torch too πŸ˜† And I have to say, it's unique for me not because the name's unique because I've heard and known of many women with this name...but his parents used it for a boy...that's unprecedented...never heard/thought that it could be a boy's name. Maybe it's more common among the Sindhis...I know there are a few on the forum, maybe they know better πŸ˜†
Beees thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: shikhachopra

MISHAL MEANS-----EXAMPLE OR A TREND.....😊

MASHAL MEANS---TORCH

hope this helps nd i m very much sure about this....😊

Misaal means example or a trend.....
Mashal means torch
Mishal is a boy aswell as girl name,  means torch or beacon and is of arabic origin

In pakistan generally gir;'s are named mishal but world over this is a name for guys too.....very uncommon though

AreYaar thumbnail

Originally posted by: make-believe

Arey, he would say light/torch too πŸ˜† And I have to say, it's unique for me not because the name's unique because I've heard and known of many women with this name...but his parents used it for a boy...that's unprecedented...never heard/thought that it could be a boy's name. Maybe it's more common among the Sindhis...I know there are a few on the forum, maybe they know better πŸ˜†

Ohhh so this is a common name for women among Muslims? lol I toh have only ever heard of this name first time in his case only....men or womenπŸ˜†.....I thought Mashaal was the common name....but I guess Mishal isπŸ˜†

Ok bhai final consensus is "torch" then? Good...that should end the speculation thenπŸ˜†
Faryyy thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
So it's a muslim name then...well quite surprised I never heard it before my Polish singer who is  a christian...
Well we should ask Mishal how they re parents chosen his name...in fact we should do a list with interesting questions about him and send it to Wazzup TV for an interview with GOOD QUESTIONS! I m also wondering if is he 100% indian because first time I saw him he looks like a Turkish guy to me lol...So guys who's in?