The way Baji's LS was approached

rayjst thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
I was planning on not writing this, but ended up doing anyways😔............

Does anyone else feel that the reason it didn't get kicked off as expected had more to do with how it was done than with who..

Lets first think of how it was initially gonna start with Roops:

Kala leaves, first she is all depressed, then she suddenly realises that Kala was wrong nd she loves her Bhau...The getting drunk bit was fine, she might have felt guilty nd wanted to get some light headedness. She was still in character when she called Baji naukar when drunk because she is like that only. Baji telling her off was also fine because they share that kind of a dynamic only but then, she decides to commit suicide, I really didn't understand why she would do that, nd the hero comes nd saves her, all of a sudden she is transformed to a very emotional being. They decided to get B-R together by getting them both sad nd then all of a sudden its like, lets bond. She brings in food, tries to be all to concerned, sheds tears etc. Then that plan got scrapped nd Madhu was introduced.

Madhu had lots of expectations riding on her shoulders when she entered but she also got characterised as the emotional being nd again they decided to go with the same approach they tried with B-R with B-M as Madhu is doing the same things these days that Roops used to do during her short 'transformed' phase, being emotional, trying to bond with B, shedding tears, bringing food etc.

The scenes of B-R I used to like were the ones were Roops used to order him around nd his retorts back at her, he really was never a fan of nd was quite sceptical of Roops as is evident from a lot of his comments, not all the emotional bonding stuff....When their interactions used to be unpredictable nd khatti-meethi...

I don't know, I feel that Baji isn't the type who need people crying around him for emotional support, he is independent, has always been nd is quite capable of handling himself nd at times when he falter, he needs someone who can bang on hit some akal into him nd not emotional athyachar...

Unlikely comparison but that worked well in Ranbir Rano, when Vinay used to do that.. What was nice about that was the constent bickering nd how they used to fight. Kindof cliche, I know, but fun nonetheless, makes me wonder what Baji would do if he got handcuffed to either of the girls😆 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

AreYaar thumbnail
Very nicely written👏

You make an interesting point and I do agree to a great extent.....the HOW of the Baaji potential love interest/love story has not been handled well to a large extent.....like you said, all this emotional atyachaar that he is subjected to with both the females in the picture doesn't suit him.

The only thing I kinda disagree with is vis a vis Roops.....the point you made....how it used to be more interesting when he bickered with her, retorting back at her when she tried to order him around.....it's valid....but regarding Roops's emotional transformation....for that very reason I found it believable....there was (at that point) an EVOLUTION happening with her character....in a credible way (to me atleast....I know most ppl don't feel that way.....lol) barring the suicide bit which I also found kinda excessive....the rest felt believable....the way she got drunk....ranted at Baaji....how Baaji picked her up and brought her back and tried to handle the situation....that dynamic they had....there was a clash of wills going on there that I found interesting....and even later on after Roops mellowed in a sense as they showed her "falling" for Baaji....they still had this sort of playful dynamic....I remember this scene when Roops offers to help him in decorating DN's room after Dutta had asked him to (although that scene felt kinda tainted since they'd revealed at that point that Roops was doing Kala's bidding still) but if you take that aside, and strictly speak of their DYNAMICS.....these two have a dynamic which has chemistry....which has potential for interesting clashes. IF Roops was given a chance as a character in regards to Baaji's case, I don't think it would just be emotional atyachaar.....cuz the fact that Roops is a brat at the base of it all would make her clash with Baaji still and how Baaji handles her and how it evolves would make for interesting viewing.

I do think Roops would have stood up to him in a sense as well....she seems more capable of bullying him than Madhu😆

Madhu is the one who is a bit too goody goody sugary sweet saccharine types and leaning more towards emotional atyachaar types in my opinion.

But anyways, this is water under the bridge.....Roops stands no chance....so Madhu + Baaji ki eternal "lowe story" it is😛....Let's all just enjoy the emotional atyachaar😆
Edited by nureat01 - 13 years ago
Yuvika_15 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
yh i agree the way they approach Baji's LS is pretty weird, its like they start it off n thn it gts lost sumwer in between the other storylines n loses focus... i suppose atm they r focusing mre on tasha's marital problems, duji's friendship thts falling apart and seema's re-entry in dutta's life...n thn there's this new enemy which wil enter soon 2..so m assuming its a while before baji-madhu's LS kick starts...

i personally wud hav loved 2 c madhu's character as a strong person, a fighter, someone very very similar 2 dutta... Jessica has portrayed madhu as a strong fighter in her ff, thts hw i wish she wud hav been in the shw bt she seems mre innocent n naive... i mean being DP's daughter n dutta's sis u wud hav thrt she has sum similarities from thm both bt i think she's very different from thm i wish she was like dutta tho....
rayjst thumbnail
Hi, if you don't particulary fancy Roops skip this particular reply post(not nureat's post from above but this one)....Don't want to start M-R comparison again........

Originally posted by: nureat01

Very nicely written👏

You make an interesting point and I do agree to a great extent.....the HOW of the Baaji potential love interest/love story has not been handled well to a large extent.....like you said, all this emotional atyachaar that he is subjected to with both the females in the picture doesn't suit him.

The only thing I kinda disagree with is vis a vis Roops.....the point you made....how it used to be more interesting when he bickered with her, retorting back at her when she tried to order him around.....it's valid....but regarding Roops's emotional transformation....for that very reason I found it believable....there was (at that point) an EVOLUTION happening with her character....in a credible way (to me atleast....I know most ppl don't feel that way.....lol) barring the suicide bit which I also found kinda excessive....the rest felt believable...

I liked her character evolution, till the Baji giving her a bhashan to sudharo scene... After that everything got a bit weird, suicide etc AS ke saath ka scenes plus vahini bit ,bringing food etc (Baji trying to hide her from Dutta etc was hilarious though) I would rather that she got drunk again after Baji's bhashan nd yelled at him😆😆, guilty pleasures....It was really fun how she always gets on his nerves😆..........

the way she got drunk....ranted at Baaji....how Baaji picked her up and brought her back and tried to handle the situation....that dynamic they had....there was a clash of wills going on there that I found interesting....and even later on after Roops mellowed in a sense as they showed her "falling" for Baaji....they still had this sort of playful dynamic....I remember this scene when Roops offers to help him in decorating DN's room after Dutta had asked him to (although that scene felt kinda tainted since they'd revealed at that point that Roops was doing Kala's bidding still) but if you take that aside, and strictly speak of their DYNAMICS.....these two have a dynamic which has chemistry....which has potential for interesting clashes. IF Roops was given a chance as a character in regards to Baaji's case, I don't think it would just be emotional atyachaar.....cuz the fact that Roops is a brat at the base of it all would make her clash with Baaji still and how Baaji handles her and how it evolves would make for interesting viewing.

I do think Roops would have stoop up to him in a sense as well....she seems more capable of bullying him than Madhu
😆

Madhu is the one who is a bit too goody goody sugary sweet saccharine types and leaning more towards emotional atyachaar types in my opinion.

But anyways, this is water under the bridge.....Roops stands no chance....so Madhu + Baaji ki eternal "lowe story" it is😛....Let's all just enjoy the emotional atyachaar😆

I love❤️ Roops nd B-R dynamics, she sooooooooo can bully him nd he needs that too to come to his senses.... I stay at my college hostel nd used to watch LTL only when I went home for holidays but what made me get to watch it regularly, more like hooked to it  was B-R drunk scene, I really thought that it would be fun to watch that relationship develop nd then, I waited nd waited nd waited for months hoping something would happen but as you said, water under the bridge, not gonna happen😔....

Didn't write it in the post 'cause I don't want to favour either of the chara, nd didn't want to end up making it into another comparison thread re😊.................

Ditto to all the bold as well as coloured parts, they had a bindaas dynamic, but I agree, its not happening, ever😭....

Edited by rayjst - 13 years ago
rayjst thumbnail

Originally posted by: Yuvika_15

yh i agree the way they approach Baji's LS is pretty weird, its like they start it off n thn it gts lost sumwer in between the other storylines n loses focus... i suppose atm they r focusing mre on tasha's marital problems, duji's friendship thts falling apart and seema's re-entry in dutta's life...n thn there's this new enemy which wil enter soon 2..so m assuming its a while before baji-madhu's LS kick starts...

i personally wud hav loved 2 c madhu's character as a strong person, a fighter, someone very very similar 2 dutta... Jessica has portrayed madhu as a strong fighter in her ff, thts hw i wish she wud hav been in the shw bt she seems mre innocent n naive... i mean being DP's daughter n dutta's sis u wud hav thrt she has sum similarities from thm both bt i think she's very different from thm i wish she was like dutta tho....

You really like Madhu don't you😊😊..........Nd yeah re, they should have given Madhu more character development, seems like the whole Baji LS got lost amongst everything else going on these days..........I hope ki they give us, at the very least, some Duji goodness after the separation track gets over😍😍..............
kabeeraspeaking thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
I think the problem isn't the approach to the story, i.e. whether it should have been emotional or more upbeat, but the planning and organization which went into it, and wasn't concrete enough to hold in place as things proceeded. On the whole as well, this is an area in which the LTL team lacks...their timing in planning tracks (ex. Damodar Patil, elusive Twin-Anna, drunk-slap, etc.) and the pace of executing those benchmarks leaves much to be desired. Of course, the reason behind this is the time constrictions provided by the channel, and the fact that they make decisions as to what track will be dropped, focused on, or altered and how. The flip-flop that happened with Baaji's story too seems to be the result of having to juggle around and accommodate the channel's decisions...just like nowadays, I think even then, they had a lot on their hands in terms of material to explore but just couldn't organize it in a coherent manner within all the limitations (by the channel) and so, some of the arcs ended up looking incomplete (DP's death), others were rushed (drunk-slap) and some were just forgotten (not only Baaji's lovestory but even his presence as a character leading up into the wedding and FR).

There were a few off-hand comments back when the track with Roops started that Neetu Wadhwa's acting chops weren't found fit enough to be playing the reformed love-interest and this change in the story didn't garner positive feedback, so they looked to other alternatives because of that...I don't know how much truth there is to this possibility, but it seems likely because of how quickly the track was dropped. They suddenly switched gears and brought in a totally positive character as Baaji's love-interest, but again, rather than development of the lovestory, the pair got recycled Baaji/Roops type of scenes that aired in a stray manner, something which only ended up making them look cold and lackluster together. There was and is nothing unique or convincing about Madhu-Baaji...which, IMO, is the biggest pitfall with regards to this couple. They neither have a well-built connection since the start of the show like Roops-Baaji and nor do they bring something new to the table...whether they do emotional scenes or even those that are a little more neutral...there's just nothing to talk of there. Hot and cold would probably be the best way to describe their struggle with Baaji's story...they've been trying to tussle it in there, sometimes more actively, while sometimes totally sidetracking it, and since there are so many other things going on within the show, they just haven't been able to give it good enough a development and presence amongst all the numerous things that need to be shown.

As for the emotional vs. upbeat thing...I don't think it entirely explains why this facet of the story has been falling flat...with Roops/Baaji, one of the reasons I really liked them together is because of how childish and immature they were together, which is such a stark contrast to DN, who are silent and deep-rooted. It would have made for a good juxtaposition and variation in the story because RB did have it in them to do the bickering-young-love thing well...Madhu/Baaji...they can't do the bickering, playful shtick well, not only because of the way their characters physically look together but also because of how they were introduced to each other and the dynamic they share, which is just not fun and frolicsome 😕 On the other hand, if we talk about the emotional treatment to their scenes...it worked well on Roops/Baaji because they had known each other for a long time, Baaji had almost been an over-seer to her, indulging her for many years, so for them to share such deep and intense moments, such as him having the ability to change her mind from committing suicide, or her comforting him re: Dutta worked because of the development they already had...with Madhu/Baaji, it looks artificial, because how many days have they known each other for again? Their emotional scenes don't have the same genuinity and depth because there has been no development to make them look real or touching...

So the emotional thing would have worked well for RB, while they did also have the upbeat, fun feel sprinkled around in good quantity too...better of both the things. With Madhu/Baaji...things are just looking forced and thus failing...they don't get enough screen-time and development for us to buy into and be convinced. And since the writers don't have the time to handle Baaji's lovestory with good focus and treatment right now, why not save it for later after DN get together? Then they can go into it in detail and make it satisfying as well...but now, as they try to stick it in here and there...it's just not working out.
AreYaar thumbnail
@Rayjst: LOL agreed.....there was something about their clashes that despite Roops being a spoilt evil brat, had potential.....it's like they had a spark when together....I guess that's what you call chemistry....lol....

@Fatty: Worddd to the point about these two having HISTORY.....that's what I was trying to say but couldn't say it as clearly.....exactly what I meant when I said I found the evolution believable...cuz they had so much history having known each other for a while.....interactions etc....so to see her evolving from fighting/clashing with him to a more emotional side felt believable to me.....and it wasn't just mindlessly melodramatic to me cuz of the situations that were unfolding at that point like the DP track to me felt credible in assisting her transformation and softening towards Baaji despite some OTT bits in b/w like her hiding in his room behind the curtain or whatever.

Basically as personalities, these two were that ideal contrast to DN like you pointed out.....a childish/immature dynamic which was just starting to evolve on a deeper level so that gave it layers that intrigued me.....again, there was a HISTORY there that helped it all along......which is not the case with Madhu-Baaji.....but anyways, overall speaking, they don't seem to be interested in giving Baaji much scope vis a vis his love story.....so guess we have to live with it *shrugs*

But DITTO DITTO to every point you made here!

[quote=make-believe].with Roops/Baaji, one of the reasons I really liked them together is because of how childish and immature they were together, which is such a stark contrast to DN, who are silent and deep-rooted. It would have made for a good juxtaposition and variation in the story because RB did have it in them to do the bickering-young-love thing well...Madhu/Baaji...they can't do the bickering, playful shtick well, not only because of the way their characters physically look together but also because of how they were introduced to each other and the dynamic they share, which is just not fun and frolicsome 😕 On the other hand, if we talk about the emotional treatment to their scenes...it worked well on Roops/Baaji because they had known each other for a long time, Baaji had almost been an over-seer to her, indulging her for many years, so for them to share such deep and intense moments, such as him having the ability to change her mind from committing suicide, or her comforting him re: Dutta worked because of the development they already had..[/quote]Edited by nureat01 - 13 years ago
rayjst thumbnail

Originally posted by: make-believe

I think the problem isn't the approach to the story, i.e. whether it should have been emotional or more upbeat, but the planning and organization which went into it, and wasn't concrete enough to hold in place as things proceeded. On the whole as well, this is an area in which the LTL team lacks...their timing in planning tracks (ex. Damodar Patil, elusive Twin-Anna, drunk-slap, etc.) and the pace of executing those benchmarks leaves much to be desired. Of course, the reason behind this is the time constrictions provided by the channel, and the fact that they make decisions as to what track will be dropped, focused on, or altered and how. The flip-flop that happened with Baaji's story too seems to be the result of having to juggle around and accommodate the channel's decisions...just like nowadays, I think even then, they had a lot on their hands in terms of material to explore but just couldn't organize it in a coherent manner within all the limitations (by the channel) and so, some of the arcs ended up looking incomplete (DP's death), others were rushed (drunk-slap) and some were just forgotten (not only Baaji's lovestory but even his presence as a character leading up into the wedding and FR).

There were a few off-hand comments back when the track with Roops started that Neetu Wadhwa's acting chops weren't found fit enough to be playing the reformed love-interest and this change in the story didn't garner positive feedback, so they looked to other alternatives because of that...I don't know how much truth there is to this possibility, but it seems likely because of how quickly the track was dropped. They suddenly switched gears and brought in a totally positive character as Baaji's love-interest, but again, rather than development of the lovestory, the pair got recycled Baaji/Roops type of scenes that aired in a stray manner, something which only ended up making them look cold and lackluster together. There was and is nothing unique or convincing about Madhu-Baaji...which, IMO, is the biggest pitfall with regards to this couple. They neither have a well-built connection since the start of the show like Roops-Baaji and nor do they bring something new to the table...whether they do emotional scenes or even those that are a little more neutral...there's just nothing to talk of there. Hot and cold would probably be the best way to describe their struggle with Baaji's story...they've been trying to tussle it in there, sometimes more actively, while sometimes totally sidetracking it, and since there are so many other things going on within the show, they just haven't been able to give it good enough a development and presence amongst all the numerous things that need to be shown.

As for the emotional vs. upbeat thing...I don't think it entirely explains why this facet of the story has been falling flat...with Roops/Baaji, one of the reasons I really liked them together is because of how childish and immature they were together, which is such a stark contrast to DN, who are silent and deep-rooted. It would have made for a good juxtaposition and variation in the story because RB did have it in them to do the bickering-young-love thing well...Madhu/Baaji...they can't do the bickering, playful shtick well, not only because of the way their characters physically look together but also because of how they were introduced to each other and the dynamic they share, which is just not fun and frolicsome 😕 On the other hand, if we talk about the emotional treatment to their scenes...it worked well on Roops/Baaji because they had known each other for a long time, Baaji had almost been an over-seer to her, indulging her for many years, so for them to share such deep and intense moments, such as him having the ability to change her mind from committing suicide, or her comforting him re: Dutta worked because of the development they already had...with Madhu/Baaji, it looks artificial, because how many days have they known each other for again? Their emotional scenes don't have the same genuinity and depth because there has been no development to make them look real or touching...

So the emotional thing would have worked well for RB, while they did also have the upbeat, fun feel sprinkled around in good quantity too...better of both the things. With Madhu/Baaji...things are just looking forced and thus failing...they don't get enough screen-time and development for us to buy into and be convinced. And since the writers don't have the time to handle Baaji's lovestory with good focus and treatment right now, why not save it for later after DN get together? Then they can go into it in detail and make it satisfying as well...but now, as they try to stick it in here and there...it's just not working out.

Somehow I feel that the show won't be airing way too long after DN get together, so this might also end up as an open ended chapter only, like BH parts nd DP track😔.......
kabeeraspeaking thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Poor rayjst was trying so hard not to bring the Madhu/Roops comparison into this thread and then that's all I went and did in my post 😆 As Chaskar would say, saaari, saari, saari *kaan pakdos* 😆 😛

Anu, totally agree with what you said about the DP track making situations such that a lot of the stuff that was happening around that time did come across as convincing, be it Roops' reformation or the strengthening of RB's bond. As a matter of fact, I found that Roops' trying to commit suicide wasn't too excessive...it was justified, keeping in mind how immature she is, the smallest kid of the house who overreacts and needs to be reigned in to show better sense. And of course, when two people who have known each other for literally their whole lives support one another through a crisis as such, their relationship evolves to a greater level and develops many new dimensions, which was happening with RB. 

rayjst, don't be sad that Baaji's lovestory might not be shown in LTL...think of it this way: would you rather have a terribly executed track for him or one that doesn't happen at all and leaves his character untarnished? For me, I know that I'd much rather like it if Baaji's character just went with the flow rather than getting caught up in a forced storyline. At the end of the day, I don't care much about the lovestories or romance, I care about the characters...and if they remain true to their essence, all is well! 😊
rayjst thumbnail

Originally posted by: make-believe

think of it this way: would you rather have a terribly executed track for him or one that doesn't happen at all and leaves his character untarnished? For me, I know that I'd much rather like it if Baaji's character just went with the flow rather than getting caught up in a forced storyline.At the end of the day, I don't care much about the lovestories or romance, I care about the characters...and if they remain true to their essence, all is well! 😊

That makes me feel a lot better, Thanku😊.......

Seriously thankful to LTL team also for creating such  well written characters nd executing nd bringing them onscreen so well too👏👏.................