Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

qaisarimtiaz thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago

Originally posted by: cosworthkid007

both sheela ki jawani and munni badnaam hui will be short term hits, ask anyone in mid 2011 and people will ask, yeh kaunsa gaana tha? just like the dhan-ten-an craze ended. Remember the craze for ek pal ka jeena in 1999-2000? Today who remembers the chart bursting music of Kaho na pyaar hai?

Munni badnaam hui is an absolute pathetic song, sheela ki jawaani is more so, in fact its a censored poem converted to music. It doesnt sound like a peppy track but a boring and monotonous tune, will suffer from short term memory loss.

Sorry ! But i Do Not Agree With You , Ask Me , I WIll Tell Yhu In Mid 2011 That What Was Sheila Ki Jaawani n Munni Badnaam ðŸ˜‰

Originally posted by: Indradhanush

Rehman won'tbe A R Rahman if he had continued in the mode and style of IR, similarly RD Burman won't be Puncham if he had carried on in the same style of his daddy ( S D Burman).

Jagjit's departure from ghazal singing with heavy ornamentation of classical was a deliberate one. Yet he retained the character & integrity of ghazal (romance of mausiki); about love. He had to make a place when we had Mehandi Hassan, Malika Purkhaj, Begum Akhtar, so a new style was needed.

Also it was his innovation which kept the interest in ghazal alive of many lay persons like us. Listen to this if there is a confusion about his classical prowess

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JJagg082gs&playnext=1&list=PLADD8D015DC53C6E1&index=26

Same logic of innovation applied to sheila ki jawani or Munni badnaam hui. It has as good music as other songs have these days. Rahi baat item songs, it is part of indian cinema since long from Helen-Asha combo to Sheila, Munni etc.
All time hit song like Mehbooba Mehbooba was not different from Munni Badnaam hui. Visually both have similarity. And it is as good as Mehbooba Mehbooba by music to my ear.(dont have deep knowledge of music). Anyway time to move on for Jagjit Singh, he deviated from pure Ghazal(although he has strong classical background as you mentioned) to fulfil public demand same as Munni or other item numbers.Edited by HakkaBakka - 13 years ago
Dabulls23 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
They both are rubbish song..

Munni badnam huvi Malaika Arora-Khan looks so aweful..

Wordings not good either..

For once I agree with JS..
mr.ass thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: qaisarimtiaz

Hahah ! He Is Soo Selfish , He is commenting that his old songs are still popular , haha , they are popular in aged persons n teh persons who liked that song in that period n the ppl wo are frm that period , 

Jagjit's music is classical , so yes , acc to him , sheila n beedi arent songs or music . he is kinda insultimg ths gen's singers n music dirs especially when he talked abt Sunidhi;s song . so if anybody insulting Sunidhi or Her songs i will not bear . he does not know how much popular these songs are !

actually item numbers arent music, but his repettitive ghazals arent music either 😆
ankit_nyc thumbnail

I am sorry but it's egotistical for Jagjit to just discount other musicians and singers in this manner..........According to his logic, Indian music scene should stil lbe the same as it was 20-40 years ago.........I mean music is a progressive thing........There is not just one kind of music.......There are many kinds..........And clearly the public at large enjoys munni  badnaam hui kind of music these days............Should all of us just listen to Jagjit, Asha Bhosle, and Raffi all day long? Every generation has their likings, and it's not Jagjit's job or place to push down his views and likes on people of this generation.......😕 Jagjit himself has taken the liberty of modernizing old songs for this generation in his albums such as "close to my heart"...........If he is such a believer in music of yester years then why did he feel the need to "modernize" the songs of yester years in his own album? 😕 

Originally posted by: ankit_nyc

I am sorry but it's egotistical for Jagjit to just discount other musicians and singers in this manner..........According to his logic, Indian music scene should stil lbe the same as it was 20-40 years ago.........I mean music is a progressive thing........There is not just one kind of music.......There are many kinds..........And clearly the public at large enjoys munni  badnaam hui kind of music these days............Should all of us just listen to Jagjit, Asha Bhosle, and Raffi all day long? Every generation has their likings, and it's not Jagjit's job or place to push down his views and likes on people of this generation.......😕 Jagjit himself has taken the liberty of modernizing old songs for this generation in his albums such as "close to my heart"...........If he is such a believer in music of yester years then why did he feel the need to "modernize" the songs of yester years in his own album? 😕 

Agree with you 100%...😉😛
ankit_nyc thumbnail
😛 and his point about not listening to munni badnaam hui songs or sheila ki jawani songs with the family is utter nonsense............every single party involving Indians will have kids dancing to  these songs in the coming months........I won't see many parents objecting to it either, in fact many will pay good amount of money to dance teachers to teach their kids how to dance to these kind of songs.......how many parents still listen to jagjit's gazals regularly? I mean which world is he living in? Music is all about emotions, and I am sorry gazals are fine for certain kinds of situation but it would be awfully boring to just listen to gazals all day long.......😛 Music should cheer people up, and what's wrong with these songs if they cheer people up? 😛

Originally posted by: qaisarimtiaz

Hahah ! He Is Soo Selfish , He is commenting that his old songs are still popular , haha , they are popular in aged persons n teh persons who liked that song in that period n the ppl wo are frm that period , 

Jagjit's music is classical , so yes , acc to him , sheila n beedi arent songs or music . he is kinda insultimg ths gen's singers n music dirs especially when he talked abt Sunidhi;s song . so if anybody insulting Sunidhi or Her songs i will not bear . he does not know how much popular these songs are !

He is wrong about forgetting these songs. Bidi jalaile is still popular after 2-3 years. Mehbooba Mehbooba still popular after 30+ years, Dum maaro dum still popular I dont know how for many years. Chal Chhaiyya Chhaiyya still popular and future will say about Munni and Sheila.
-Aaliyah- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: HakkaBakka

So what, Jagjit singh's ghazal have also never been pure ghazal. His ghazal has been ghazal with very little classical touch. His ghazal has been popular because it is more filmy and simple and listener could connect it well because of filmy touch. Jagjit Singh can not sing a pure ghazal with heavily classical touch.

These two songs are item numbers but they are composed for entertainment, not to be measured on classical singing meter.

I've always enjoyed Mendhi Hassan's and Ghulam Ali Sahab's ghazals more than Jagjit Singh's ghazals
xobile thumbnail

Jagjit Singh is right in saying that item songs are popular to a great extent because of the picturisation. And it is also true that new item songs keep cropping up and replace the old item numbers. The film industry is heavily dependent on music to pull in the audience and these days one of the most common ways of consuming music is in nightclubs and parties, so of course more and more dance/party songs will be churned out as adverts for films.

BUT it is completely illogical to say that therefore these songs are bad music. In fact, the huge competition in the market for item songs is pushing music directors to come up with more innovative songs. I'm sure if there were five new ghazals released every month, even Jagjit Singh would have to use 'gimmicks' like picturisation and choreography to get ahead in the market. And then the next month, people would move on to the newest ghazal. That's just how the market works, it's got nothing to do with the quality of music being produced. And it definitely doesn't mean that item songs are not music.
Edited by xobile - 13 years ago