cliches on tv(article)Sudhir Sharma

marisol45 thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago

found this on Times Of India today

Kitschy cliches

With a bagful of kitschy clichs, Indian television is taking a big gamble with its hackneyed screenplay

They are on different channels and time bands. They peddle as different stories as well. Though it might hold true, on closer inspection, most shows on the small screen follow a hackneyed screenplay. Be it the 'time-standing-still'- eye-lock between the couple, dupatta flying in the air or even the love-hate relationship between the lead pair'the scenes are rendered common in almost all shows on the idiot box today. One is left asking if the ploy is to simply follow the formula or a lack of creativity. "In that case, most of the films follow the same formula as well," defends coproducer Raakesh Paswan of shows like "Sabki Jodi Wohi Banata' Bhagyavidhata" and "Baba Aiso Var Dhoondo." 

"If a show runs for a year, it's because of the content. The competition on the small screen is tough. Yes, to a certain extent the stuff is similar but then all shows need to have a nice romantic angle," he reasons. "I wouldn't really call it lack of creativity," says producer Sudhir Sharma of "Miley Jab Hum Tum." "If the show is a love story then the aim is to establish the lead couple and that must be done aesthetically. Some people resort to clichs while others try and break from them, both of which are fine because both work if done well," says Sharma. Yashashri Masurkar who plays the lead in "Rang Badalti' Odhani" feels that the clichd romantic track in TV shows work in a big way. "Simple romantic sequences work well on TV. The hero and heroine are different, but the flavour remains the same." 
    However, Saurabh Tewari, Senior VP and head of programming for a GEC agrees that there is a lack of creativity. "Television today lacks creativity. There are few writers and channel heads interested in doing different stuff. This kind of story telling is being blindly followed, because in the past few shows on similar lines worked. What nobody realizes is content should decide the TRPs and not the other way round," affirms Tewari. 
    While the shows play catch-up with one another, the pattern they follow render them looking similar, even though for a few scenes. This, is an area of concern. "Yes, sometimes people do get confused because of the similarity in scenes. However, the concept of these shows is not the same," argues Paswan. But Tewari is more critical, "Today most shows look like carbon copies and that's the reason the success ratio is 1:10. Only one in every 10 fiction shows launched succeed because the rest simply follow it." 
    With the attention span of the audience dwindling, aren't the makers taking a big gamble with hackneyed screenplays? "The golden rule on TV today is ' when the show works, stay with the story. You spend the story when you have a floating audience," explains Yash Patnaik, co-producer of the show ' "Odhani". "I don't think the attention span of the audience is short when it comes to romance. Everyone loves to watch it even if they have seen it in slightly different way. Basically love stories rule,"says an optimistic Sharma. Tewari however, has a word of caution. "It's a big gamble. But most of them still decide to go with it because they feel it's safe. The most unsafe thing in television today is to play safe." 

P.S Don't mind the bold lettering at the beginning. somethings wrong with my comp :-(
Edited by marisol45 - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

biden thumbnail
thanks .but i m sscared too read this.
CandYlicious_S thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
In my opinion, MJHT is way more better than other serials and its definitely not c***ched.... 😳  The lovestories of MN and SG are both realy deep in their essence.... 😳
Edited by CandYlicious_SG - 13 years ago
aashizin thumbnail
all shows and movies use same formula but here main essence is to portray it and i think in any layout mjht always gave same concept with different layout like they said duptta falling i think its an art to show like this, in sg and mn story they sometime showed same concept of opposite attraction 's love with unique way and i love mjjt for it 
-Preeti- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: CandYlicious_SG

I  The lovestories of MN and SG are both realy deep in their essence.... 😳

Point to be Noted
Stories might b the Same but the potrayal and the overal Look and treatment given does matter too along with the ACtors performance
MJHT might not have had the Best of Tracks but when it comes to the Bonding between the Couple's we have the Best of the Moments
-Nymphadora- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
MJHT has been BIG one moments..
but Mr Sharma-for all the bosting his Both shows have had Loads of cliches-but ofcourse the treatment was diffrent!
aashizin thumbnail

Originally posted by: -Preeti-

Point to be Noted
Stories might b the Same but the potrayal and the overal Look and treatment given does matter too along with the ACtors performance
MJHT might not have had the Best of Tracks but when it comes to the Bonding between the Couple's we have the Best of the Moments

@bold same thought its actors and creative ppl who make each and every stories in same way with different funda with their own ideas which lead to connect ppl with their joy , sadness, happiness , that's why when it comes to love story the love remains same but with unique way , like in i hate love story that producer said hamari movie hatake hai ðŸ˜† he seems us to be funny but in reality that's one side of coin that though story is same but they put new essence in it with their originality that's called perfection in acting and char portrayal in real sense , same love story with uniqueness of real essence 
aashizin thumbnail

Originally posted by: shruti.nil

MJHT has been BIG one moments..
but Mr Sharma-for all the bosting his Both shows have had Loads of cliches-but ofcourse the treatment was diffrent!

i think shruti mr sharma should include their hard working actors who made that used idea to be known again in unique way ,bcz of them show gave superb sajan and mayur , old with golden way ðŸ˜‰
ruexangel thumbnail
thanks a lot, 
yes there are some cliches, but its very refreshing still with mayur or even sajan sometimes, whereas with other couples i just roll my eyes ðŸ˜›
_symphony thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
lolllz mr sharma has MARS so he can give any sought of explaination...after all for him the so called "LAck of creativity" is compensated by his brilliant actors.Thats what i call a businessman's spirit! He knows his tactis well.When u have the aces who cares if the cards are old or new!