Aki 'Bluffs' Abhishek Bachchan, Nana Pate

Malashetty thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Aki 'Bluffs' Abhishek Bachchan, Nana Patekar in style!
Priya Tanna
Tuesday, December 13, 2005  20:47 IST

CALLING THE 'BLUFF'
It was AB's maha hot baby who roped Aki in for 'Bluffmaster'. Informs Aki, "he called me after 'Bunty and Babli' was released on which I'd worked with him. Normally I design and style for the main cast, but the look, feel and script of this movie was so interesting that I ended up designing not only for Abhishek, Priyanka and Retiesh Deshmukh but for Nana Patekar and Boman Irani as well."

LOOKIN' GOOD
Retro is peppered with edge and meets bling to create the look for the movie where each of the protagonists have been distinctly styled keeping their characters in mind. "For Abhishek I've given him lots of flash as he's playing a conman - linen, my signature printed shirts and textures with detailing with cool jeans."

"With Priyanka, I've worked around one main look which is that she wears a watch throughout the film with a big dial and different fabric straps to go with her different outfits. Also, she wears these chunky wooden bangles that are very hip."

"Riteish plays Abhishek's disciple. Not only does he want to ape his tricks of the trade, but also his style quotient. So essentially he plays this rookie, a wannabe, who believes in excess. So he wears two watches, two bandanas, two belts, he wants to be one up on the rest."

NANA IS A ROCK STAR!
Aki is effusive with praise for Nana Patekar who, according to him, is a true rock star.
 "My inspiration for his look is Vivian Richards whom I consider a real style icon, you know - tweed jackets, chains, printed shirts and loafers. It's the '60s when the over-the-top look was very in."

VERY ENGAGING STUFF, THIS
It's an engagement scene which is the high point in the movie according to Aki. "Abhishek is wearing a bandhgala with a Hawaiian shirt inside. We've worked with a new silhouette that is slightly above the knees. Priyanka is wearing an off white chikan sari with a twist - it has antique brocade with gota work ."

OYE BABLI
"With 'Bunty and Babli' after a long time film fashion has gone to the next level and has taken to the streets! Honestly has been the biggest compliment for me. Whether it's Sarojini Nagar in Delhi or Linking Road here, everyone was selling the 'Babli' kurtis and everyone was wearing it."

Aki's top phillum-o-graphy:
Monsoon Wedding' (Very da Punjabi ji and very da convincing)
Bunty Aur Babli' (Who dare forget Aishwarya in Kajra re huh?)
Garam Masala' (Akshay Kumar's sporty avatar with yummy clinging jeans)