Sukiriti Khandpal on the journey as Pia

-Lostindreams thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 13 years ago

Sukiriti Khandpal on the journey as Pia

It was by a stroke of luck that Sukirti Khandpal landed into acting. It's not that she didn't want to act. She, in fact, aspired to become an actress at the early age of 12, but hailing from the small town of Nainital, she didn't have a godfather.

However, acting did ultimately happen to her, as it was the call of her destiny. She was spotted by the creative head of Dill Mill Gayye at a caf, and the rest is history.

Khandpal is now all set to embark on a new journey as Pia in Pyaar Kii Yeh Ek Kahani. She will be a part of a show which is unique and promises to entertain the viewers. Pia, who is a simple and naive girl, is very much like Sukirti in real life. The actress is kicked about playing the role of Pia, as it allows her to be herself, not to forget – along with her beautiful, curly hair. Sukiriti, who had hated straightening her hair earlier, feels lucky to be able to sport her natural, curly-haired look on the show.

She talks about her short yet extremely fulfilling journey of three years on television so far, and her experience of working with the czarina of TV, Ekta Kapoor. Along with her, we too are looking forward for the show to launch.

How is it working with Ekta Kapoor?

Ekta, as a producer, is very involved. She will enact the character that you have to essay, along with the expressions. She gets into the skin of the character, and knows exactly what she wants from you. She isn't strict, but wants us to be the best. For a producer to know everything about the character and how they want you to essay the role is incredible.

What's that one thing which prompted you to do the show?

The fact that I can sport my natural, curly hair. I like my curly hair. I don't know why people in the industry think that girls with curly hair are fit to play only negative characters. My character of Siddheshwari in Agle Janam Mohe Bitiya Hi Kijo was supposed to be a positive one. I wonder who injected the idea into my creative team that since I have curly hair, my character has to be negative. Here, I play Pia, who sports curly hair and is extremely positive. What else can I ask for?

Do you think you have been able to change the perception?

I don't know if I have been able to change the perception, but I want to stick to this perception till I can change the opinion of my colleagues.

The casting took a while to get finalized. Do you feel privileged as you have been chosen to play Pia?

Yes, I do feel obliged. From my first show Jersey number 10 to Dill Mill Gayye to Agle Janam and now to PKYEK, it has been a three-year-long journey, and what a fruitful journey it has been! I am thankful to my fans and all my producers.

How did you groom yourself for the character?

I am not even remotely close to those girls or characters you see on shows who keep crying and shedding copious tears. Thankfully, that's what Ekta doesn't want from Pia. I didn't have to prepare for the role. I have to just go out there and be myself, obviously not so chirpy. I didn't go through any kind of preparation, but read the script and my lines thoroughly.

Co-actor Vivian Dsena or Robert Pattinson of the famous Twilight saga. Who is your pick?

I am in love with Pattinson. If it is about romance, Robert will be my pick. He is amazing, and essays the character with utmost intensity. PKYEK is entirely different from Twilight, but I love Robert for the way he has essayed the role of Edward.

So does that mean you are averse to playing negative roles now?

There is no liking as such. At the age of 22, I just want to be who I am. I am definitely not negative in real life, so it is a little difficult to portray negative characters convincingly. I also believe that my face isn't negative. It's a very typical phase, as no one in my life is so negative. I have never bumped into any saas, sister-in-law or bahu, who would go to the extent of killing their family or poison them. Yes, I can play manipulative characters. There are people with grey shades, but nobody is completely dark.

Your character of Pia is compared with the internationally popular character of Bella from the popular Twilight saga. What's more difficult - playing a complete fresh character or essaying a role that's similar to an already well-established one?

I had replaced Shilpa Anand to play Dr. Riddhima on Dill Mill Gayye, and then went on to play a dumb girl who later turns negative on Agle Janam Mohe Bitiya Hi Kijo. I just try to give a new dimension to every character that I essay, be it a replacement or an original character. I try to be myself, irrespective of the fact who I have replaced for the particular character.

Are you aware that Dill Mill Gayye is ending?

Yes, I am aware. It obviously feels sad. The show has given me a lot, and even now, when I go out, people address me as Dr. Riddhima. That is the magic and power of DMG. I don't want it to end but, like they say, all good things come to an end. I would want it to end with Armaan and Riddhima re-uniting, as this is what viewers ultimately want from the show.

Apparently all the shows that you have left are concluding, including Agle Janam. Do you think you were the lucky mascot for them?

(Laughs) Well, I don't know how to answer this, as this is really funny. I think God has been really kind to me, as every time a controversy is likely to happen, I am out of the scene. I would wonder why this happened with me, but in some time, I would get the answer. I left DMG when it was at its peak, and once I had quit the show; the entire controversy involving the leads of the show started doing the rounds. Till the time I was a part of Agle Janam, the show was garnering a TRP of five, which kept declining later.

Do you think one can fall in love with a villain, which happens to be the concept of your new show?

Yes, I think all women want to fall in love with bad men. Normal guys can be boring, and love has to be exciting for me.

Who is your mystery guy?

Well, let him be a mystery as of now. I like genuine guys, and my guy needs to have a great personality. I don't like flirts at all, though it can be interesting and adventurous. But I want my guy to be loyal, as I am possessive myself.

Do you think PKYEK will help you lift off the baggage of Dr. Riddhima from DMG?

I don't take it as a baggage. I am proud of all my characters and the shows that I have been a part of. I enjoyed the phase as Riddhima, and I am going to enjoy the nearing future as Pia too. I work to enjoy roles, and I love my work.

How difficult is it for a small-town girl like you to make a mark in the industry?

I am very much like Pia. From the age of 12, I wanted to act, but in my hometown, Nainital, no one understood me. My father put me into college, and I enjoyed my time spent in college. From 14 to 22, it has been a long journey for me. Now when I go back, I see their faces lit with pride, and it feels like an achievement.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Abby315 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
cool
there is no crying scenes  by the lead
thank god.now am more happy about the show

thanks for the Article 😃 

loved her responses ..
.:.MONA.:. thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
thankc u for the article thank god we want need to see all the crying drama in this show...lol

❤️MONA
-Lostindreams thumbnail

Yeah guys agree, no crying, i think many of us have seen enough of crying.

Edited by pakindmuziq - 13 years ago
thanx for the article. Thank god we dont have to see all tht crying drama in this show.

Hope this article mentioned abt Dupatta romance too🤣 i dont wanna see dupatta romance ever again
-Lostindreams thumbnail

Originally posted by: Vidya85

thanx for the article. Thank god we dont have to see all tht crying drama in this show.

Hope this article mentioned abt Dupatta romance too🤣 i dont wanna see dupatta romance ever again

Depends on the dupatta romance 2 😆😆

I just know whn it first starts it nvr ends.
luvkasu thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Thanks iqz
love suku so much.. For us she was n still is the best ridhhima
thanx for the article...
loved suku's answers...........
she will definetly rock as pia........
ragzz. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 8
Gosh what an awesome interview.wow love u Suku..thanks iqqu for posting muaah!