Shiamak Davar indirectly bashes Terence lewis

Posted: 13 years ago
This article is on the front page of Bombay Times.

A part of it is mentioned here

"Our government sends me all over the world to show what modern India is about"- he said.
It is true.And amazing which makes him among the most envied and copied dance masters in the world. This is something that upsets him because imitators back home are doing such a bad job! Dance teachers, choreographers send students who copy everything in his academy from his enrollment form to his dance steps on their cell phones. And even before he presents it to India, they put it on reality shows on television."I am not worried" says Shiamak Davar,"but people get fooled into thinking this is good contemporary jazz. It took me 15-18 years to produce 10 good choreographers. And here there are copy-cats trying to make grade in 3 months! "

Edited by the.undisputed - 13 years ago
How do you know that shaimak is talkin about terence?? 😲
you know... he may not be talking about terence..and if he is...then its probably not very accurate...

..because terence is extensively trained for many many years...infact he said, he never started teaching, until he got a certification ...and learnt dance formally for many years...abraod and in india....he didnt even open a dance school until  then....

terence infact keeps learning even now....i think thats amazing...
Edited by soooperfan - 13 years ago
😊 Are you sure Shaimak Davar is talking about Terrence? I mean if he is, I agree with him completely. 😊
I think, its time for indian dancers to know what is really forms of dance, bcz we have international dance programmes on tv like so you think you can dance ,
so do not get fooled by anyone ,
The legendary dancers should speak with the dancing on stage , I would like to see them dancing on stage instead of talking and behaving like international dancers and teachers , ofcourse it only can happen in INDIA .
i think he is kinda right! i know but it sounds weird but in DID most of the dancers are untrained and in 3 months they learn so much. i have been dancing and doing gymnastic professionally since i was 6 and now i will be 21 so i have 15 yrs of training. sometimes when i watch these reality dance shows i get mad bcuz they aren't as technical and precise, and they do copy sometimes. Princes signature step is a copy! i remember finding some Jamaican guy under youtube who does the exact same popping and locking!
but what Shaimak said wasn't that hard to digest! a professionally trained dancer for 15 years will look different while dancing compared to someone who is a natural but is untrained! it took me like 7 years to get into Pointe from Ballet! but in reality i couldn't get into Juilliard bcuz they said i was under trained!?!?! so shows like DID are more like luck by chance and some talent is required. like Mayuresh was a great dancer but he got voted out at like 8th that was bad luck. not bcuz he wasnt talented. so sometime we have more talent than others but their luck might work for them while our doesnt! this is what Shaimak mean that it took him like 18 yrs to get where he is now and others are getting the same amount of fame after only a few months!
is shiamak good? very subjective

i thought it was sacrilege to see him and shobhana dancing together!
i dont agree w/ shaiamak...(sorry 4 the wrong spelling) didnt he also opened a show...DPL?!?! tht also was the same as did...granting some1 choreo...for what they do in 3 months..even after ppl are out from did..who know whetehr they will be successful chreo..or not...n terrance is amazing...he is an intelligent person when it comes to dancing..n veryy tanlented....
Originally posted by rudolf123

I think, its time for indian dancers to know what is really forms of dance, bcz we have international dance programmes on tv like so you think you can dance ,
so do not get fooled by anyone ,
The legendary dancers should speak with the dancing on stage , I would like to see them dancing on stage instead of talking and behaving like international dancers and teachers , ofcourse it only can happen in INDIA .
yea i also it hate it when they compare indian dancers w/ international dancers...indian ppl can dance..we have our won forms..bharatnatam..etc..lot more...if they try to do tht..they wont get near it fully....(watched a dude dacne to bharatnatyam on so u think u can dance) his mudras..veryyyy bad...the same way..indian ppl wont be able to perfect themselves w/ salsa n tango...only in a weeks pratic..b/c theses dance forms requires years of pratice....so i hate it when they compare...western style to indian....both r equally hard to do...why the importance to western dance...goshhhh...😆
We don't know if he's talking about Terence.

And he is right in a way. There will always be a huge difference between someone who is trained for years and someone who just learned a dance form for 3 months.