Mary-Kate on Paris and Her Break Up

mandy0310 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 18 years ago

All eyes were on child star MARY-KATE OLSEN two summers ago when the 19-year-old mini-mogul entered a treatment facility for an eating disorder. Then, just when the frail twin seemed to be getting things together, a chance meeting between friend PARIS HILTON and Mary-Kate's boyfriend, STAVROS NIARCHOS III, led to romance. Now, Mary-Kate is talking about her heartbreak and why she left school in New York in the January issue of W magazine, on stands nationwide Dec. 23.

"I miss him and I love him and I don't speak with him anymore," she tells the mag. "It's a hurtful and painful subject. I've pretty much been with someone my whole life, so this is a hard time for me."

Mary-Kate was dating the Greek playboy all summer, and tells W she actually introduced him to Paris. When those two were spotted canoodling in nightclubs in September, a frazzled Mary-Kate abruptly took a leave of absence from NYU and moved back to Los Angeles to "pursue her acting career."

"New York was really hectic for Mary-Kate," explains Senior Editor MARSHALL HEYMAN, who interviewed the waify billionaire for W. "Lots of paparazzi, lots of gossip reports, lots of school. But in L.A. she has time for herself."

Mary-Kate probably need never work again. As one of the faces of the Dualstar Entertainment empire, which oversees the production of her and sister ASHLEY's videos and movies as well as their books, dolls, furniture, rugs, clothing and cosmetics, she is set for life. But she left the Gallatin School of Individualized Study, she says, because she wants to push herself.

Eventually she says she hopes to star in a movie without her sister -- something edgy directed by any of her favorite auteurs, such as SPIKE JONZE ('Being John Malkovich'), SOFIA COPPOLA ('Lost in Translation'), or JANE CAMPION ('The Piano').

L.A. seems to agree with her. At the star-studded Accessories Council awards in November, she ditched her usual layers of shawls and bohemian flats for a pretty strapless gown and high heels. Even the weight seems to be coming back on.

"She's looking really healthy and feeling really sexy, she told me," says Marshall.

But she still indulges in her favorite guilty pleasure -- Starbucks, up to four beverages a day!

For more on Mary-Kate, watch tonight's "Insider." W magazine is on newsstands everywhere Dec. 23.

Courtesy of The Insider