Abhilasha Chellam appreciation thread

Indradhanush thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
Here is the list. hope no one is left...

Dabulls

Amukta

kuhu kuhu

Hakka Bakka

musicmuse

akufull2mad

ashraynaik

ZoobiDoobi

sunandshine

Malaysian Girl

prafulb

rrsood,

thewiseone,

-Neha-

, suresh555,

SunBright,

p@ras,

Awww,

Divya_kaldivya,

sanaya11,

malaysiangirl,

kiti_g,

DharmeshSir,

JaspalToronto,

Vedo,

PimpJuice,

_DrEaM_,

somone999,

old-black-joe,

Angel-likeDevil,

anjali10,

mcm226,

Summer3,

Rimpa

Padma55

gopalbhai

Lifeztuf

Divya_kaldivya

Desicrowd

Nishita123

sanaya11

Gaganjot.S

SearchSat

Ishan.

mcm226

somone999

shayari

Vedo

Sunbright

Indradhanush

[quote]when the 11-year-old toothy smile tells you that she can sing, you go, yeah, ok. you look at the resume her proud father hands you and you say, ok, so she can sing. she did, after all, make it to the mega finals of anu kapoor's aao jhoome gaaye and says she did that without any classical training or major musical tutoring. but nothing quite prepares you for the taste of the pudding, when you ask for proof. abhilasha chellam clears her throat and launches into an old hindi song we haven't heard of and her tiny voice is suddenly transformed into this resonant sound that fills the room with sweet melody. and there isn't even any accompaniment. oh, yes, she can sing! abhilasha is a talent that no less than mohammed aziz bowed before, when he heard her do ae mere watan ke logon on the aao jhume gao show. back home, abhilasha was one of the performers who stole the limelight at the indradhanush showcase of pune's talent, put up for the recent pune festival. manna dey, zakir hussain and durga jasraj have all doffed their hat to abhilasha's vocal prowess. one gets the feeling that if this talent doesn't go places, it will be a tragedy. but at 11, the giggle-prone student of at anne's high school is oblivious to the greater implications of her voice. she just likes to sing and wants to become like lata mangeshkar. but the little nightingale's dad, chellam iyer, is much more aware of his precious daughter's talent. he has, untiringly, worked to get her behind a mike on stage as often as possible. "i realised she was a musician when as a four-year-old, she pointed out the pitch change to me in the song humma humma. ever since, we have been trying to ensure she explores her talent," chellam tells us. that included frequent trips to mumbai, auditions, tying up with anandji's mini super-stars and participating in various competi-tions like the tho gaao om contest, where she came out on top. but it was anu kapoor's talent search show that made the suggestion that abhilasha was destined for greater things. chellam says he realised that if abhilasha was to go anywhere, a certain amount of classical training and fine tun-ing of the voice was necessary. so abhilasha rises at 5 am every morning to do her breathing exercises and riyaaz and after school, goes for carnatic training under rajeshwari srinivasan. chellam feels the best way forward will be to make sure abhilasha is heard. and so, sonali bendre's music show is the next stop. the aim is clearly to get into bollywood as a playback singer. jatin-lalit and shankar mahadevan are also aware of abhilasha's existence, according to her father, and if it is a matter of time before the girl's voice makes a mark on the big screen, then it will be a time worth waiting for. until then, abhilasha is just going to enjoy singing. "i like old hindi songs and those composed by madan mohan," she tells us. madan mohan? her taste it seems, is as special as her voice.[/quote]

TIMES OF INDIA-2001 aRTICLE

Remember this girl who sang Mai chanda tu chandni from Reshma aur Shera (?raag mand)? She sounds like a prodigy. one to look out for ..! I will wait for episodes unfold for this talent.

Edited by Indradhanush - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Indradhanush thumbnail
Watch this as well

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=417VoRsDlV0[/YOUTUBE]
gopalbhai thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Is not she the same Abhilasha who  appeared on a star plus singing show ? 

Indradhanush thumbnail

Yes

Tuesday July 17, 02:17 AM
SHE's got spunk. That's reason enough for a nationwide audience to be sitting up and listening to city girl Abhilasha Chellam, a finalist on the show Amul Star Voice of India (SVOI). The show that went on air in May on Star Plus has Abhilasha competing with 11 other finalists in the singing competition which aims to spot playback talent. And with the kind of feedback that has been pouring in, she seems to have pulled off the task with panache. A std XII student at St Mira's College, Abhilasha is no stranger to the world of music, even as she elaborates, "I have been learning Carnatic music since the age of 4 and I've always participated in all sorts of singing competitions." In fact, when she was 8, Abhilasha participated in the television show Aao Jhoome Gaaye on SAB TV, where she was the runner up and lost out on the first position only because she was too young. So when the opportunity to participate in SVOI came along, Abhilasha knew this was another break for her. "My dad wanted me to participate and I went for the auditions. But the seriousness of the situation sunk in when I was selected as a participant and had to stay in Mumbai with the other participants," relates Abhilasha. Apart from the glamour bug, the show has done a lot of other wonders for this budding singer. "My talent has been noticed for sure, but along with that we have add-ons like personality development classes, yoga (which has helped my voice), gymming sessions and music training. This has led to a new phase in my life," says Abhilasha. And though the competition is tough, she has confidence in herself. But how does it feel to live up to the expectations of the jury members like Aadesh Srivastava, Alka Yagnik, Jatin Lalit and Abhijeet, who also happen to be some of the biggest names in the music industry? "Well, our interaction with the judges has always been good. We're lucky to have them to encourage us, and to point out our weaknesses," she says but adds in the same breath that Alka Yagnik and Jatin Lalit are her favourite jury members for their calm composure and encouragement.
ThatAbhilasha's mother, Vijaylakshmi, is a proud parent is obvious when she says, "Abhilasha has really grown up in these two months. She has a good chance of winning if everything goes well till the end. But the trend with such reality shows is that it's mostly boys that win and we hope it's not the same this time too." And as for Abhilasha herself, her confidence sparkles as she speaks. "I am putting in my best and though the competition is tough, I am focussing on victory," she signs off.
The voters may vote her out but she is a gem like the kohinoor among the singers and will make a mark for herself.

yahoo newsEdited by Indradhanush - 13 years ago
kuhu.kuhu thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
yup..Abhilasha is awesome 👏...count me in ...and ID ji,  good to see u back !!!😃
Dabulls23 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Abhilasha is superb...She took part in Star plus VOI 1,  Sony's Waar Parivaar, Zee Marathi SRGMP last yr and now here again...I love her voice and her training is supertb...Looking forward to her performance...
off-beat thumbnail
she has already proved her mettle then why is she filling up the place ?
TVmonk thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Abhilasha has proven herself time and again. She is much beyond these contests now. Why is she participating now??? Its really sad. She should have been a professional singer by now.😔

BTW her performance was superb to say the least.😃 I hope she wins this one.

If this is her fan list, count me in.👍🏼
Edited by TSakshi - 13 years ago
Malaysian_Girl thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Good voice and count me in.....

Good to see more good female singers this year .....Abhilasha is superb and I have heard her before this and she has good voice quality.

god bless.

with best wishes,
malaysiangirl
Indradhanush thumbnail

Originally posted by: off-beat

she has already proved her mettle then why is she filling up the place ?

Dear one. After heart breaking departure of Nihira i C 2005, I used to think on similar line, but observations past years have changed my opinion. I feel to get jobs, shows and keep yourself in mainstream, it is important to be in the race lest you are forgotten. Even in these testing times where voice softwares are ruling the roast there is ample space for singers with real calibre. There is no harm in participating again, it improves the over all quality of the show and raises the bar.