desigal90 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 13 years ago
'Arranged marriages are back in fashion'

While Bollywood is getting more and more adventurous in its portrayal of romances, celebrities are following a different route altogether. With Mahendra Dhoni's secret marriage to a non-celebrity last month, and Vivek Oberoi plans to tie the knot with Priyanka Alva, a girl picked by his parents, the
trend of conventional and "arranged marriages", as counsellors call them, seems to be coming back into fashion.

Dr Rajiv Anand, a counsellor says, "Most marriages these days find it hard to finish five years. And a majority of these crumbling ties are so-called love marriages. Sadly and surprisingly, I come across a large number of youngsters who after a few years themselves realise that they made the wrong decision."

The illusion
Celebrities like Madhuri Dixit too have been married to people out of the media glare and have managed to maintain their relationship until now. Are the expectations from a 'media marriage' any different?

Dr Hiten Shah, a marriage counsellor says, "Celebrities want to feel like a normal person when they return home to their family. So if they are married to someone who doesn't share the same publicity glare that they do on a regular basis, it helps differentiate the worlds for them."

So what is it about arranged marriages, which is causing them to make a comeback? "The fact that sometimes the young generation does not have the same objectivity about certain characteristics that parents can have. Vivek Oberoi has made a wise step in that direction and respected his parents' decision," says Anand.

Open relations
Meanwhile, relationships like those of Kareena Kapoor and Saif Ali Khan too are examples of how bonds based on love, and not marriage, can work. "Nothing is written in stone. Kareena and Saif have committed to each other verbally, and in the media, and yet manage to keep their relationship secure," says Shah.
hug
For celebrities, an arranged marriage could provide the right balance. "A popular personality has a major part of his life outside his home," says Shah. "These people get married to partners who don't have a public life, so they can nurture and care for them. If both the partners share that lifestyle, they would both feel deprived."

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

i did not get this article
pooja_l thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
ok wat this article was trying to say i didn't get most of it

all i can say is that if u love ur partner and be loyal to each other, ur marriage lasts

love conquers all

and as far as the arrange or love marriage is concerned, its a personal choice whom to get married and how, by ur parent's liking or ur own, that also depends on u
desigal90 thumbnail
I disagree with this article. I dont think a marriage working is depending on whether your partner is chosen by your parents or you. Its fate, compatibility, and so many other factors.
Perhaps if you are getting arrnage marrige, you can also assume that the person and family puts a lot more emphasis on marriage, and hence when things get difficult, prefer to do anything over divorce. While maybe someone who chooses love marriage may not think that divorce is the end of the world. Just a way to get out of one bad decision. And that its better to separate and live a better life wiht hope than to compromise. Its all opinion, and just a lot of overlapping factors.

I only posted it coz of the part on Saif and Bebo ☺️
pooja_l thumbnail

Originally posted by: desigal90

I disagree with this article. I dont think a marriage working is depending on whether your partner is chosen by your parents or you. Its fate, compatibility, and so many other factors.

Perhaps if you are getting arrnage marrige, you can also assume that the person and family puts a lot more emphasis on marriage, and hence when things get difficult, prefer to do anything over divorce. While maybe someone who chooses love marriage may not think that divorce is the end of the world. Just a way to get out of one bad decision. And that its better to separate and live a better life wiht hope than to compromise. Its all opinion, and just a lot of overlapping factors.

I only posted it coz of the part on Saif and Bebo ☺️

ye toh i knew it wen u were very happy in saif and bebo part πŸ˜†

initially i thought that saif and bebo are just going to be for a while, there won't b anything serious between them

my mom also said that this relationship won't go long

but now when me and my mom see saifeena, we wonder that what we thought initially was wrong and they were meant to b together

more power to this couple coz i now like them very much
desigal90 thumbnail
Haha i know. I think even I didnt think this relatoinship woudl be for keeps at the start. No one knew what to think, lol. It was so unexpected.
But I had seen ppl saying htey wont last beyond 6 months, or that they'll break up by the time tashan releases, lol
And now look at em. They are committed beyond mushiness πŸ˜†
pooja_l thumbnail

Originally posted by: desigal90

Haha i know. I think even I didnt think this relatoinship woudl be for keeps at the start. No one knew what to think, lol. It was so unexpected.

But I had seen ppl saying htey wont last beyond 6 months, or that they'll break up by the time tashan releases, lol
And now look at em. They are committed beyond mushiness πŸ˜†

ya they seem to b very committed

good luck to them
Nuktaacheen thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
did they ever go out of fashion...?   πŸ˜›

everyone is different, i think... whether a marriage works or not, be it arranged or love, depends on the person... all marriages and relationships go through their ups and downs... whether the two people can survive that, is another matter...  it really boils down to what matters to you the most...!

TintinleMechant thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
i think it just comes down to if two people are strong enough to be with each other forever and not let external factors effect their relationship. And this is the case with all relationships and all types of marriages. Trust, Compatibility, Strength, Pulling the other person  up rather than down.
Micky_elle thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Ok vivek's parents must have chosen a girl for him to get married, but im sure Vivek also likes this girl and thts why he is getting married to her. As for Saif and Kareena relationship it is too early to comment abt thier relationship. John and Bips r a good example, they have been together for quite a decade, but again u never know when relationships turn sour.