Article-Saints or vamps - Shruti Ulfat

Armu4eva thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago

Saints or vamps, are these women for real?

Last updated on: May 20, 2010 15:15 IST

Ritika Kumar in New Delhi

The scheming women characters of saas-bahu soaps have quietly replaced the strong-willed and independent protagonists of Shanti and Rajini of mid- nineties and the TV producers attribute the change to "audience demand".

But does the 21st century woman today relate to the larger-than-life saintly creature with impossible ideals or the conniving vamps shown on the small screen?

TV Actress Shruti Ulfat, who is back on the small screen after a hiatus, with Sasural Genda Phool, a light hearted comedy series, feels daily soaps mock women and society.

"I have never really done a daily soap. I don't like daily soaps because I believe they are mocking the Indian society, they are mocking the way women dress up, the way they think...," Ulfat said.

The Aarara actress, Ketaki Dave, who grabbed the limelight for her comic timing in Kyunki Saas Bahu Thi is back on prime time slot with Star Plus's Behenein, believes the vamp has become stronger than the heroine these days which might not be a progressive sign for TV.

"I totally agree that negative characters are much stronger in television which is not quite a good impression on the audience," Ketaki said.

Image: A scene from Kyunki Saas Bahu Thi

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Originally posted by: Armu4eva

The scheming women characters of saas-bahu soaps have quietly replaced the strong-willed and independent protagonists of Shanti and Rajini of mid- nineties and the TV producers attribute the change to "audience demand".

But does the 21st century woman today relate to the larger-than-life saintly creature with impossible ideals or the conniving vamps shown on the small screen?

TV Actress Shruti Ulfat, who is back on the small screen after a hiatus, with Sasural Genda Phool, a light hearted comedy series, feels daily soaps mock women and society.

"I have never really done a daily soap. I don't like daily soaps because I believe they are mocking the Indian society, they are mocking the way women dress up, the way they think...," Ulfat said.

The Aarara actress, Ketaki Dave, who grabbed the limelight for her comic timing in Kyunki Saas Bahu Thi is back on prime time slot with Star Plus's Behenein, believes the vamp has become stronger than the heroine these days which might not be a progressive sign for TV.

"I totally agree that negative characters are much stronger in television which is not quite a good impression on the audience," Ketaki said.

Hope her perception is wrong after sasural genda phool😉😃
Sanayaa thumbnail
I agree wid Shruti g dese stupid tv shows r seriously mocking our Indian society nd d women... D way dey represent Indian women completely disgusting 👎🏼
But SGP is different real nd d best 😉
serialjunkie thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: Armu4eva

@bold : So true!! Thats why I've left watching certain "other" shows and started following SGP. I dont think SGP aspires to depict extremes. It shows that all characters have shades of good and bad in them. Its not easy to watch people who are projected as simple Black or White characters.