Salim Merchant Appreciation Thread

xobile thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
Hey guys!

Salim Merchant and his brother Sulaiman are a prolific music director duo who have been coming up the ranks in Hindi film music for a long time. As Sonu Nigam said in the first episode of II5, Salim started working as a musician, then arranger and has reached the top of his profession.

Salim-Sulaiman have produced a number of background scores and soundtracks too. They started their career doing the background score and one song for 'Hameshaa' in which the main composer was Anu Malik! At quite an early stage of their career, they have worked with top filmmakers like Karan Johar, Madhur Bhandarkar and Aditya Chopra. Let's hope they do more good work together!

Salim will definitely be a great judge on Indian Idol, since he is a classically trained musician, fluent with the keyboards, guitar, sitar and bass. This will give a great contrast to Anu and Sunidhi who are both classically untrained musicians but have learnt everyhting trough experience. Salim is also a very good singer and recently sang 'Aye Khuda' from Paathshaala for another composer Hanif Sheikh. Importantly, Salim-Sulaiman are known for using lesser-known and unusual voices in their soundtracks, which means that contestants on Indian Idol can get a big break if they impress Salim!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Angel-likeDevil thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Thanks for sharing..

His Kurbaan songs were pretty good.. and, he seems so nice and soft on the singers.. He's sweet!
Sahana_125 thumbnail
yeah, i only saw him in one episode and am liking him so far, i think he is really good at detecting singing talents, and i love all the musc i have heard from his movies so far 😊
naila123321 thumbnail
I like him too! As a judge he is very sweet 👏
xobile thumbnail
I really like how the judges panel for the auditions has been designed so that Salim has a keyboard next to him all the time - so that he can play a chord and break into song whenever required! It was great to see him sing the Kurbaan hua song impromptu! And Anu has his harmonium next to him too, so that he can set his typical shayari comments to music whenever he likes 😊

Salim seems like a really nice guy - he was so kind to that fan girl especially! It's great that this time Indian Idol has two gentler judges like Salim and Sunidhi. This way there is nobody like Javed Akhtar or Farah Khan that Anu Malik can pick fights with!

Ansh08 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
looks like he is going to be good judge this year..very nice guy...just like kailash last II4
miss_choxz thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
i fell in love with salim

he is so sweet!!! and he also has an eye for talent

cant wait to see more of him on II5
desicrowd thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Hey Xobile good to c ya around on II....I totally adore Sunidhi...and Salim too seems to be a wise guy...Anu can talk to himself, don't really care...I like the choice of the two judges...at least someone who knows what singing is...
magicalmelody thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail ICC CWC 2023 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail + 2
I really like him...his music... he's really nice judge so far.. sweet.. who doesnt put up with Anu's s**t..

TallyHo thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

well he just might be my favorite judge this season...how Sunidhi does remains to be seen and Anu is already going overboard! 😃