'Sony dumped me because of Armaan Sir'

anonmember thumbnail
Posted: 19 years ago
'Sony dumped me because of Armaan Sir'
   By: Shaheen Parkar
   February 4, 2005

Shaheen Parkar
BATTLE OF THE BOYS: Sameer 'Purab' Soni (left) was ousted from Jassi, while Armaan Sir (Apoorva Agnihotri) got to stay, even though a viewer poll clearly favoured Purab

Jassi (Mona Singh) may be currently giving it back to Armaan (Apoorva Agnihotri) in Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin (Sony) with the help of boyfriend Nandu (Gaurav Ghera).

While her blast from the past Purab (Sameer Soni) is still asked the question: will you be back in Jassi's life? To which he replies, "I hope so."

Model-turned-actor Soni who played Purab, Jassi's love interest, made a sudden exit from the daily serial in November. He was shown to have dumped Jassi and walked off.

This is what was depicted on-screen. Off-screen however, the growing popularity of his character β€”  on par with Armaan β€” was taking everyone by surprise.

Viewers may recall that Soni entered the show as Purab in March last year. He was the new man in Jassi's life.

Post-Armaan's (Apoorva Agnihotri) engagement with Mallika (Rakshanda Khan), a crestfallen Jassi wanted to get away from Gulmohur House (Armaan's fashion house) for a while. Around this time she was introduced to Purab, an introvertish, self-made man.

Says Soni, "I loved playing the character of Purab. But there were certain aspects to the show and Purab had to be shown making an exit."

Apparently in the original story (Jassi is an adaptation of the Colombian series Yo Soy Betty La Fea) there was no persona on the lines of Purab.

The show has had several guest characters, not in the original storyline. Purab was one of them.

"I was taken as a guest character for five episodes. But after these episodes, I was recalled in the show. Then again I was shown leaving a note and doing a disappearing act from Jassi's life only to be back again till I made the final exit."

What's interesting is that when the channel conducted a poll on who Jassi should go back to β€” Armaan or Purab β€” an overwhelming majority wanted Jassi to go to Purab!

"This was a rather unexpected development. Purab was becoming too popular. But Purab had to depart from the scene as the track has Jassi eventually with Armaan," says Soni.

According to Tarun Katial of Sony, "He left the show because his character got over." The buzz is that Purab's growing popularity at that time had also made Soni a tad hig-handed. Eventually however the track demanded that he had to go.

Soni, who is also seen in Dil Kya Chahta Hai on Star One, was also approached for a role in Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii (Star Plus) recently "but the technicalities did not work out," he says.

From mid-day.com

Edited by sonynyu - 19 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ritu thumbnail
thanks for the Article. πŸ€—
queenbee thumbnail
Seems like Samir Soni got a really raw deal here. First the big bosses kept Samir on to bolster their ratings... and when he became too hot to handle they dropped him like a hot cake. They forgot that the only thing more unpredictible than the weather is viewer preferences !!!

One thing's for sure, though, Armaan is more than justifying his being retained on the show. If Samir comes back to JJKN, his character better be etched out in finer detail without all those holes and cracks.. he deserves better than THAT!!!

Thanks for the article, sonynyu
nishi thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4

thanx for the article

Daisy thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2
Thanks SO much sonynyu...that clears it...no more guessing..
"But Purab had to depart from the scene as the track has Jassi eventually with Armaan," says Soni."

That says it all. And i really don't mind him back as long he comes as Michel and Jassi goes to Armaan. 😊

samir_soni thumbnail
thanks for the information sonynyu
Rumi thumbnail
 IT WAS VERY SAD WHAT HAPPENED WITH SAMEER! BUT UNFORTUNATELY THERE WAS NO OTHER WAY, I THINK! COZ, STORY GOES NOWHERE IF JASSI ENDS UP WITH PURAB! BLF STORY, WHICH THEY ARE FOLOWING EXACTLY NOW IS FAR MORE ATTRACTIVE,AS CAN BE SEEN THESE DAYS! SO BETTER, HE COMES BACK AND REPAIR ALL THOSE DAMAGES CREATED IN THE SHOW BY HIS SUDDEN DEPARTURE WITHOUT ANY EXPLANATION!
jprasad thumbnail
Hmmmm....thanks for sharing the story. I think this story was
quite important for avid JJKN viewers. We were for quite some
time not sure of what happened and we could only speculate
on the Purab's sudden departure.

I am actually quite saddened...I didn't mind Purab's appearance
on the show, however, his entrance and popularity took away
from the show and poor JJKN has had to suffer ever since.
Purab's departure upset a lot of people and as JJKN has lost a
lot of viewers because of this. People are missing out on the
Apoorva's award winning performance and Mona's mental
makeover. The story is going great now and better than ever,
but viewers have abandoned it, because they are still upset
with Purab's departure and this saddens me.    

Alas, I can't do much about it. I can't get the attention of lost
viewership to see past Purab to this new crazy lovestory that is
taking place between Armaan and Jassi. I really wish that
Purab never came on the show, because JJKN lost a lot of
viewers, but can't change that either. Anyway, I will continue to
watch JJKN and I wish there was some way I could get a
message to Apoorva and Mona that they are doing a great job
and I am one of JJKN's greatest fans.
rouble thumbnail
thanks for sharing the article!
Minnie thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

yes jprasad,I couldn't have agreed with you moreπŸ‘.They showed Purab better than Armaan in every aspect,turned Armaan intro a caricature and then wonder why he became so popular  πŸ˜‘???????

The present story and Apurva's performance proves beyond doubt what an injustice they did to everyone.I feel so saddened that a story like JJKN had to suffer because of the insensitiveness of the makers and it's channel.😑😑😑 I wish the lost viewers would at least give a chance to JJKN's actual story.But as u said jprasad,we can't do anything about it and only wish we can get across the message to Apurva and Mona what a beautiful job they are doing.