Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 14 years ago

Originally posted by: Gauri_3

I am lost on the bold part.  Could you elaborate, please?

The way I am reading it is that the account may not get balanced always.  Which is contrary to my belief that eventually, each and every account gets balanced.  Question is what may trigger whole bunch of those accounts getting balanced simultaneously at one particular place in one particular moment.

If all the accounts belong to one entity, then there's a distinct possibility that it gets balanced. By that I mean, start with one entity and end with one entity.

Originally posted by: cuckoocutter

i m not sure what that is, might be consciousness because if there's somethin we have it's the consciousness of our always bein there, never a time we can remember we werent there..

Thank you! I am glad I am receiving some confirmations I was looking for, from sources "other than me".

Needless to say, I agree with the quoted text.

I am lost on the bold part.  Could you elaborate, please?

The way I am reading it is that the account may not get balanced always.  Which is contrary to my belief that eventually, each and every account gets balanced.  Question is what may trigger whole bunch of those accounts getting balanced simultaneously at one particular place in one particular moment.

it's lik this- life is not a series of tit-for-tats. one good deed/ life doesn't necessarily lead to another good deed/ life immedly. it wld eventually if one believes in karma/ mean-reversion to averages, beyond that it's fluctuations around long-term karma. 2 consecutive lifetimes might be lousier than what one has accumulated in terms of karmic averages, n vice versa... Also given our time-frame, we assume one life-time is long, but perhaps viewed against multiple life-times it's no more than one event. we know that bad/ good things can happen in a row, only to revert back to norms eventually..

Originally posted by: debayon

Do you think life exists on planets like Gliese381c? Sorry, I know this is a lame question. But I would also like to ask another lame question: What should the conditions be for life to exist? Now of course, I know you need air, water, blah blah, but what if others breathe helium or hydrogen instead of oxygen? Are we ever going to come into contact with extraterrestrials? Are we ever goign to be able to build time machines?

There's a guy, Frank Drake, who crunched it all quite nicely but even he was criticized for producing worthless results because of the way probability theory works.

For what it's worth, here's how he did it:  http://www.astro.virginia.edu/~jh8h/Foundations/drake.html

Originally posted by: Mister.K.

In the broadest sense, I don't care if justice is being meted out or not. It doesn't matter if it's a zero sum gain or not. The question I have for you (and Gauri and other karma supporters) is this: do you think the universe exists solely to support and balance life?

it's probly natural consequences. just lik if i pinch someone there's pain, the pain will ultimately get back to us... it's karmic justice in that sense. that again gets back to my belief that karma is cause/ effect played out through the interconnectedness of things. corollary there is no cause, nothin to effect. 

also, ppl assume karmic principles play out immediately.  i'd not expect them to, even assumin universe operated on that principle. there's non-linearity everywhere, simplest case being the straw and the camel. it takes quite some straws till we get to the last one that breaks the camel's back. cause/ effect are out of sequence. 

If all the accounts belong to one entity, then there's a distinct possibility that it gets balanced. By that I mean, start with one entity and end with one entity.

Ahhh...reverting back to consciousness being single entity.  I don't know, K.  I really do not think that we all are plugged to one single entity yet turn out so different from each other.  Sources of energy are similar for all but how we all process the energy we suck up differs. 

I would say karmic cycle is unit specific rather than entity specific for the most part.
Edited by Gauri_3 - 14 years ago

Originally posted by: cuckoocutter

it's lik this- life is not a series of tit-for-tats. one good deed/ life doesn't necessarily lead to another good deed/ life immedly. it wld eventually if one believes in karma/ mean-reversion to averages, beyond that it's fluctuations around long-term karma. 2 consecutive lifetimes might be lousier than what one has accumulated in terms of karmic averages, n vice versa... Also given our time-frame, we assume one life-time is long, but perhaps viewed against multiple life-times it's no more than one event. we know that bad/ good things can happen in a row, only to revert back to norms eventually..

With you on the gist of your post.  However, coming back to natural disasters - question still stands how could so many collect similar karmic credit to be wiped out simultaneously.   I feel this is where the collective karma of the entity kicks in - entire mankind's blatant disregard for nature.  Discussed unit vs entity level karma with K above.

In the broadest sense, I don't care if justice is being meted out or not. It doesn't matter if it's a zero sum gain or not. The question I have for you (and Gauri and other karma supporters) is this: do you think the universe exists solely to support and balance life?

How about the angle that life needs to be kept balanced to support universe, i.e. for universe to continue?

re. connectivity - others do get impacted by our actions.  In that sense, we all are connected at one level or the other. 
Edited by Gauri_3 - 14 years ago

With you on the gist of your post.  However, coming back to natural disasters - question still stands how could so many collect similar karmic credit to be wiped out simultaneously.   I feel this is where the collective karma of the entity kicks in - entire mankind's blatant disregard for nature.  Discussed unit vs entity level karma with K above.

and it's same answer. dont lots of kids fail same test same time, even when some have worked hard, othrs have not- till that point in time (in othr words, based on diff karma they've accumulated till then)? the result is necessarily discrete, so doesnt allow for finer distinctions. also the conceptual mistake is to assume somethin momentous abt a life-time,if all it's supposed to be is just a temporary event in a long sequence of life-times.

also, given 5 bil ppl, u'd expect many to share same fate even when they start out with diff karmic credits. n ppl to diverge even when they start with same karmic credits- although what might seem same to u might be very different qualitative things. karma shld logically be expected to balance out over multiple life-times, not immedly as u seem to be repeatedly qning. finally we also know that the slightest change in initial conditions can yield dramatic results based on results fm chaos theory. add all that up, n karma makes sense to me....
Edited by cuckoocutter - 14 years ago
Karma supporters *have* to look at the universe from a perspective that doesn't involve life. That's all I have to say on that. 100% of all available matter is not life and 100% of the universe is not made of matter. A system that neatly balances stuff out, even if it has to span multiple time-lines and multiple universes almost suggests that it's there for a reason. Doesn't sound automatic at all. If such a system is there for a reason, then someone or something is overseeing that it works the way it is supposed to work. That will get into all kinds of complications. Sorry, but I am not convinced.