Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ssk13809 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago

Originally posted by: brahmabul

Oh common! This was was not recorded in single breath. Even I remember one of Shankar ji's interview on a TV chat show. Host was Roshan Abbas. I am really disappointed here that this song is getting so many tens. Shankar ji is no doubt a great singer but he is also a human. Can you imagine any human singing non stop for around 4 minutes.

It's not that he sang it one breath or not, it's the fact that he sang 3 minutes non-stop. That he did for sure. While he was singing, he had a really amazing singing technique that hides his breath thus making it look like he is singing breathless over a long period of time.

That is very tough to do. And that is why he deserves past 10s!
Edited by ssk13809 - 14 years ago
brahmabul thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: ssk13809

It's not that he sang it one breath or not, it's the fact that he sang 3 minutes non-stop. That he did for sure. While he was singing, he had a really amazing singing technique that hides his breath thus making it look like he is singing breathless over a long period of time.

That is very tough to do. And that is why he deserves past 10s!

Brother I get your point. But please believe me it was not recorded in one single go. It was recorded in two halves. Believe me, Shankar ji said that. Sorry I can not give you any proof because that chat show was recorded way back.
ssk13809 thumbnail

Brother I get your point. But please believe me it was not recorded in one single go. It was recorded in two halves. Believe me, Shankar ji said that. Sorry I can not give you any proof because that chat show was recorded way back.

Actually, he has sung it live and done it nearly as well as the recording here.

And here is a live performance of his singing breathless

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwdV0QZOZp4

^^^^
Amazing

👏

Listen to this.....and nothing else needs to be said. Listen to both versions. Wow.

Shankar Mahadevan toh hindustan ki naak hai!

I was also reading a conversation on this, and they said he uses a process called "cicular breathing" that allows him to hide his breath and make it appear he is singing non-stop for a prolonged period of time. Thus it is all singing ability and not something inhuman or extremely acrobatic.
brahmabul thumbnail

Originally posted by: ssk13809

Actually, he has sung it live and done it nearly as well as the recording here.

And here is a live performance of his singing breathless

^^^^
Amazing

👏

Listen to this.....and nothing else needs to be said. Listen to both versions. Wow.

Shankar Mahadevan toh hindustan ki naak hai!

I was also reading a conversation on this, and they said he uses a process called "cicular breathing" that allows him to hide his breath and make it appear he is singing non-stop for a prolonged period of time.

I saw that video. Amidst so much of shouting how can one even think of hearing the sound of breath. And there were many moments where he was taking pause for milliseconds.
If only I had that video of Roshan Abbas' chat show. Even in that show Shankar ji sang the song without any music. Of course he had to take breath in between.
ssk13809 thumbnail

I saw that video. Amidst so much of shouting how can one even think of hearing the sound of breath. And there were many moments where he was taking pause for milliseconds.
If only I had that video of Roshan Abbas' chat show. Even in that show Shankar ji sang the song without any music. Of course he had to take breath in between.

I'm not saying he doesn't take breaths at all. I'm saying there is a process he uses which minimizes and thus hides the breathing he has to do. Even in the concert, he sang non-stop nearly, he probably was taking small breaths through the process of "circular breathing" that I read he uses, but they are so small it's almost unnoticeable and it appears he is singing non-stop. That is the art of his singing here.

And he does it in a fashion unmatched by anyone.
ssk13809 thumbnail

Originally posted by: rahul_02006

Shankar said in an interview that he took breaths in between but art is to hide it i guess.  btw following is video  of Shankar singing breathless live actually faster in the first half  and  much faster in the second :) Just great.

This is probably the same interview you are talking about Brahmbul. He does take breaths in between, but as said above, through a process relatead to singing, he hides them very well, making it look like he is singing non-stop. And that is applaud worthy. 👏
brahmabul thumbnail
^^^

This is not the link to any interview. Its the same video.

Anyways whatever it may be. Sabka apna opinion hain. Ok he might have used the technique par main Saraswati maa ki kasam kha ke kehta hoon ki yeh gaana do hisso mein record huya tha.
ssk13809 thumbnail

^^^

This is not the link to any interview. Its the same video.

Anyways whatever it may be. Sabka apna opinion hain. Ok he might have used the technique par main Saraswati maa ki kasam kha ke kehta hoon ki yeh gaana do hisso mein record huya tha.

I wasn't talking about the video link, I was talking about the comments made by Rahul about the interview.

I think you are getting confused between if he took breaths between or not. He might've said he took breaths between. But as for singing it non-stop in 1 section, the video showed if he could do that or not.
redapple1 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I think brahmabul and ssk need a coffee break. Free coffee is supplied by SAM in the Spoiler-Result Episode-Final 2 thread. Enjoy!
ssk13809 thumbnail
Also, it shouldn't matter how the recording was done. What should matter is if he can actually sing like the recording was done or not.

And that he proved already in that YouTube link.

Because a lot of songs we listen, and judge, might have been done in 2 halves or 3 parts, etc. But we don't judge that. We just judge the overall singing as if it was done live and how would we grade it.
Then there is a question of if the singer could have possibly sung that way in live, and the YouTube performance of him singing like that in live already proves that he can.

So in all, there is no need to judge if it was in 1 shot, 2 shots, 1 breath, 2 breaths, because we haven't done that with any other performance.

So this is really like any other performance, like all other performances, it could be done live nearly as well, and like all other performances, it could have pauses.

So judge it as it sounds.

And it's truly legendary!