ar78655 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
Shah Rukh beats Aamir

Despite tensions in Mumbai, Shah Rukh Khan's My Name is Khan is well on its way to breaking records worldwide!

The last big hit coming out of Bollywood was 3 Idiots which released over Christmas holidays but within three days of its release, MNIK has already raked in 90.2 crores worldwide thereby making it the biggest ever 3-day collection in the history of Indian cinema. In fact the overall weekend collections of MNIK have been double that of 3 Idiots.

Even in India propelled by 5-star reviews & excellent word of mouth, My Name is Khan has smashed all previous records and given Dharma and Fox Star India the biggest ever single day collection in India on Sunday.

In fact MNIK's 19 million dollar worldwide opening weekend surpassed the numbers for Hollywood biggies like John Travolta's From Paris With Love and Mel Gibson's Edge of Darkness. In fact SRK's star power also ensured that even Valentine's Day which stars numerous Hollywood stars like Ashton Kutcher, Julia Roberts, Patrick Dempsey, Jessica Biel, Anne Hathaway, Jamie Foxx, Jessica Alba and Jennifer Garner didn't out do his film.

A love story set against the backdrop racial discrimination post 9/11, MNIK has touched a chord with audiences around the world. Propelled by positive reviews in Hollywood Reporter, Variety, NY Times and LA Times, the film has taken off like a rocket.

Link http://www.starboxoffice.com/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2010/February/News_20100216_75

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ar78655 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
After '3 Idiots', 'MNIK' lights up BO

The SRK-starrer has reaped in a decent amount in its opening weekend at the box-office

It hasn't been a bad beginning to the New Year for Bollywood. While the spillover effects of '3 Idiots' continues to dazzle the 2010 box office too with its rich haul that of a staggering total gross of Rs 196 crore, 'My Name is Khan' has sent the industry in a tizzy once again.

Shahrukh Khan and Karan Johar at a press conference for My Name is Khan

The film shows up a first day haul of Rs 8 crore with Mumbai screening it in only half the theatres and Pune drawing a no-show due to the Shiv Sena threat. Trade pundits would like to add another Rs 2 crores to the first day total gross, if the film had been screened as per scheduled: to total capacity in both Pune and Mumbai which accounts for a major share of the box office receipts. This would have taken the first day total to Rs 10 crore and pitched MNIK amongst the top slots when it comes to first day pickings. Currently, it is at second spot.

In most other cities, the multiplexes ran to 100% capacity, while the single screens opened to a 70% showing. The film has also reportedly opened to serpentine queues in the overseas market. Trade analysts are still counting the figures for the weekend and will pass their verdict shortly on whether the film comes close to the '3 Idiots' juggernaut. Nevertheless, the industry is already upbeat.

Add to this, a fair run by Abhisek Chaubey's 'Ishqiya', with a two week gross of Rs 21 crore and it doesn't seem to be too dull a start for 2010. The success of 'Ishqiya' is specially heartening, since the film does not fall into the traditional slot of mainstream masala and breaks the stereotype completely. Surely, this augurs for better — and content-wise richer — times for the industry.

Sadly, Chandan Arora's 'Striker' didn't manage to create ripples, despite the fact that it is an unusual and immensely watchable film, with a sterling act by the ensemble cast comprising Siddharth, Ankur Vikal, Seema Biswas, Vidya Malwade and Aditya Pancholi.

According to a trade portal, the film has a first week net of Rs 1.25 crore. Truly, figures rarely reflect the quality of a film. Ram Gopal Varma's 'Rann' too hasn't had a fair run, despite its thriller pace, its topicality and Amitabh Bachchan's gritty act as a media baron. The film has made Rs 7.5 crores in two weeks.
The other disappointment of the year has been 'Veer'. Salman Khan's testosterone act as the Indian brave heart didn't actually create an impact at the BO and managed to reap in a total gross of 36 crores.

Now that isn't a rich haul for a Salman Khan movie, considering his Wanted managed to make the moolah roll, only few months ago. All eyes are now focused on Bachchan's third offering in a short span of two months: Leena Yadav's 'Teen Patti' which boasts of Ben Kinglsey too, the Deepika Padukone-Farhan Akhtar romance in 'Karthik Calling Karthik' and 'Atithi Tum Kab Jaoge', the Ajay Devgan-Paresh Rawal comedy which promises to bring back the flavour of Hrishikesh Mukherjee back to contemporary cinema.

Link http://mumbaimirror.com/article/30/20100215201002151337395992a87ff8b/After-3-Idiots-MNIK-lights-up-BO.html
Aamnakideewani thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
srk ROkcssss he the KING AFTER ALL
Ultimate_Shadow thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
no way yesterday i read an article tht shahrukh failed to beat aamir...SO THESE ARTICLES KEEP COMING IN...DOESNT REALLY MATTER HAHA stupidity at its best...NO ONE CAN beat aamir thats for sure
Aamnakideewani thumbnail

Originally posted by: Human_Torch

no way yesterday i read an article tht shahrukh failed to beat aamir...SO THESE ARTICLES KEEP COMING IN...DOESNT REALLY MATTER HAHA stupidity at its best...NO ONE CAN beat aamir thats for sure

i think we should w8 and wtahc time will tell only and btw srk has beaten him  in past a lot of time so yiu can't say this😳
Ultimate_Shadow thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
^^^

no he didn't sweety their record has been 50 - 50...according to box office..if u believe what u think is right..its okay but thats not gonna be a FACT ! it will remain just an opinion..

Aamnakideewani thumbnail

Originally posted by: Human_Torch

^^^

no he didn't sweety their record has been 50 - 50...according to box office..if u believe what u think is right..its okay but thats not gonna be a FACT ! it will remain just an opinion..

and what about ddlj?

Aamnakideewani thumbnail
http://www.india-forums.com/bollywood/article.asp?id=12923#509682
melancholic thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
who cares actually?

i m huge aamir fan , i or any aamir fan wil always b saying he is the best

srk fans wil say srk is the best...

Internationally MNIK is the biggest grosser, however in India 3Idiots & Ghajini have performed better than MNIK as per the reports.