Why are Indians so sentimental ?

Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 14 years ago
Indians are generally considered sentimental with strong family and religious ties. Though overseas they still think of coming home too and they do try to preserve their culture as much as possible. Am I right?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

I think Indians abroad are more sentimental than Indians home.
Ohh God..!! Tell me about it.. and it is sooooo annoying...😳.. Desi's get sooo sentimental on issues like, "Bharat"..  "Marriage".. "Religion" those blackmail aanson's.. ughh.. more drama in some households then on all Ekta shows combined.. πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

For example.. on family gatherings.. uncles just love to argue with me.. first they laugh at the way I speak in hindi.. and second they just love to irritate me on political issues.. thats cuz everytime we start talking abt India, be it, its backward thinking.. corruption.. religion being given more prominence then humanity.. they never have anything to say except "mera Bharat mahaan" ..
😑😑😑.....πŸ˜•..πŸ˜†..  most even if they know India is at fault.. would never ever admit it..πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

And whenever the topic of discussion is religion.. every now and then someone gets up saying "wahe Guru ji ka Khalsa, Wahe Guru ji ki Fateh.."  or "Hey Ram..Hey Ram".. kinda like telling me to "shushh up"..πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Desis.. whether they are abroad or at home.. are equally drame-baaz.. πŸ˜•
..πŸ˜†

Originally posted by: Meena1

Ohh God..!! Tell me about it.. and it is sooooo annoying...😳.. Desi's get sooo sentimental on issues like, "Bharat"..  "Marriage".. "Religion" those blackmail aanson's.. ughh.. more drama in some households then on all Ekta shows combined.. πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

For example.. on family gatherings.. uncles just love to argue with me.. first they laugh at the way I speak in hindi.. and second they just love to irritate me on political issues.. thats cuz everytime we start talking abt India, be it, its backward thinking.. corruption.. religion being given more prominence then humanity.. they never have anything to say except "mera Bharat mahaan" ..
😑😑😑.....πŸ˜•..πŸ˜†..  most even if they know India is at fault.. would never ever admit it..πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

And whenever the topic of discussion is religion.. every now and then someone gets up saying "wahe Guru ji ka Khalsa, Wahe Guru ji ki Fateh.."  or "Hey Ram..Hey Ram".. kinda like telling me to "shushh up"..πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

..πŸ˜†

πŸ˜” πŸ€’ ...

Originally posted by: Crimson_Sky

πŸ˜” πŸ€’ ...

See.. thts exactly what I mean..!
πŸ˜›.. the type of reactions they give.. some stare at the ceiling..πŸ˜•
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Crimson_Sky

πŸ˜” πŸ€’ ...

I think you are extremely sweet and so straight-forward that God is still scratching his head.πŸ˜‰
But even God is sentimental and people of Bharat like to follow God.
karandel_2008 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Meena1

..πŸ˜†

I can try to give you some reasons. I think that some amount of sentimental mentality is due to movies and serials. People think that emotional blackmail is one way to get the things done.

Regarding "Mera bharat mahan" - nothing wrong in it. People should be proud of what they are and should expect others to like as they are at present. If someone hates being himself/herself then that is really wrong.

At the same time, I agree with your point that ultimately people should be realistic enough to realize their shortcomings and do something to improve them.

Another point is that could this be due to the traditional philosophy?
For example, it could be due to the spiritual roots that tend to reject the materialistic world and reject the objective approach. I think that both objective and spiritual approaches are needed to advance in life. One cannot just  search within self and neglect the facts out there. India may be better than many others in terms of spirituality, but not so in terms of practical approach.

Edited by karandel_2008 - 14 years ago
karandel_2008 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Positive side of this sentimentality is that in India, unlike west, Indians dont suffer from loneliness and depression. People care for the elders and their parents (exceptions are there). They dont need an appointment to meet their parents and friends.

People value love, friendship and relations a lot,  in general.

There is so much life and love in India that I think even roses smell sweeter in India than in the western world.
Edited by karandel_2008 - 14 years ago
I disagree that Indians are anything overly sentimental or hyper-emtional. We are humans just like any other community in the world. We are not so rich ... we are progressing, but we have alot of way to cover.

We are a multiethnic, multicultural and multireligious community ... we have various problems and issues surrounding us. Poverty in our rural and urban places are always hurting us.

In such conditions, we have the right to be more defensive and exhausted. We are working hard, but we know we must work harder.

Ours is a culture which gives alot of attention to familes. And we are not alone in that, we know that once (not too many centuries ago) the western world also had similar values. However, things faded out there.

We are left with these values, and we want to hold on to them. Whether we will be successful or not is a matter of debate and can only be seen in the future.

But yes, we are not anything different or over the ceiling. We are normal human beings with our issues and challenges. This is the turning point of India, and at this point many things will change. However, different sets of ideologies are concerned about keeping their ideologies alive. In such an atmosphere....there is a sense of anxiety ....but it doesnt mean that we are something beyond words.

We are a nation with a great destiny. A nation which will contribute to make the world a better place. I am more than sure about it...whether someone agrees or not.
Edited by Crimson_Sky - 14 years ago
Bartz thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: karandel_2008

Positive side of this sentimentality is that in India, unlike west, Indians dont suffer from loneliness and depression. People care for the elders and their parents (exceptions are there). They dont need an appointment to meet their parents and friends.

People value love, friendship and relations a lot,  in general.

There is so much life and love in India that I think even roses smell sweeter in India than in the western world.

With all that pollution I doubt if you can even smell rosesπŸ˜›
By the way your av pic is cute 😊 I can see some emotional/senti blackmailing going on there πŸ˜‰
Edited by Bartz - 14 years ago