Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ivhnaj thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
Hey Everyone,
I am a Kshatriya, and orginally from MP but currently in the USA.
I wanted to say that as far as i know that these things do exist however it is not the forefront in things. Mainly now days it is used for marriage. Brahmans can marry any brahmin... kshatriya can marry any kshatriya.. ans so on. However in each group there are sects. Such as i am a Kshatriya Pawar which is technically a Rajput. Older people most of the time want to see their child not face hardship hence they want us to marry in those sects.
Rashmi and Madhav may be both brahmins but she is bengali and he is uttar pradeshi. changes customs and traditions. It makes it difficult for one to adapt.
and someone posted a question on kayastha and brahmin difference. kayastha people are not low class and neither are brahmins. they say that anyone that are not sudras are upper cast.
kayastha people are dual-cast people they hail from Brahmin and kshatriya class. they have studied the vedas. and eveyone knows the brahmins are the educators, priest, law makers and so on.
thanks for reading this just a way to put in my two cents :D
midas thumbnail

I'm kayastha and from  up.

Eksie thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
I've been meaning to comment on this topic for a very long time .. but somehow didn't.

Just wanted to thank everyone who have posted about their own life .. or what they have seen themselves, irrespective of which caste they are from. So many of you who belong to both castes have come out and spoken about it and given us quite an insight into the system.

Thanks everyone 😊 
Edited by Ektaj - 14 years ago
Dabulls23 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
I am born Gujju Brahmin married into Baniya...I have very diverse family...Domestically & Internationally... We have Maharashtrian, Telugu, So american, American, Thai, Japanese, Diff baniyas and  Brahmins in the family...Love them all....

when I first saw commercial with the line "Brahmin ka ladka aur Kayastha ki ladki" it kind of irked me so I started watching YPNHK (Thanks to freebee Colors channel  on Dish)....😃 Thank god we get Colors in US now...

This week I decided to google and find out what is kayastha all about and posted a very interesting topic....I guess creatives of YPNHK did not do their googling b4 coming up with that line 😉 ðŸ˜† They probably thought Kayastha was a lower caste-Jat to show social differences or they knew about it to use it at the end for  Abeer-Leher relationship to make it all work out...

Who knows what they are thinking...

tvrasika thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Am Brahman from south India. Such marriages between Brahmans and non-Brahmans are quite rare, though compared to before, they happen a bit more now. It would be very hard for such marriages to happen peacefully I assume... bcos where I come from, the difference between Brahmans and non-Brahmans is much more than in north (I think)-language, food, dress, rituals, festivals, temples, everything....

But it also matters whether the guy is Brahman or not. If he is, then any incoming bride is assumed to be brahman after marriage, well, sort of... for a Brahman girl to marry out of caste would be more trouble, I think.

Also, like some people here said, even among castes that are not Brahman, there are differences as to which one is high, which one is low. There is always someone higher and lower, LOL....

Then, there is the question of whether the castes take meat or not... it's a big deal, this veg-non veg matter.

So, basically, the issue is not as simple as 'Brahman vs Kayasth'. It is much more and there are lots of variations. It depends on whether the families live in urban or rural areas, the class differences, etc also.

My two cents... thanks for this thread.
kimpan thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Well...I am a brahmin from south India, and my parents too made sure I got married to a Brahmin 😛....I can relate to some extent on wats being shown in the show, but I don think my parents or my grand-parents wld go out of their way to insult others! boodha and shuklain: HORRIFYING!
abhaypanchi thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
I am Maharashtrian Brahmin.
Edited by abhaypanchi - 13 years ago
Neeba thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Am a south Indian brahmin, married to one too.

I know for sure that these caste issues exist in our society. But, I somehow never understood that why they do and why they are taken so seriously. I personally feel that there are bigger and more serious issues/problems in the world that have to be dealt with and these just create more divisions in people. I've always wished that people understand each other and help each other and create fewer barriers among themselves which in turn would build better nations and a better and peaceful world.

And this issue is what attracted me to 'YPNHK'. I want to see Abeer and Leher who represent today's youth, break all these moulds made by the society and create new frontiers for everyone to follow. I feel that , generally serials are seen by a lot of families and by this way, some awareness can be created.
iAkshata thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
I am a Maharashtrian Brahmin and I know that caste discriminations exist even now. It is very sad to see such things happening even today. I wish this would end soon...
That is why I love the concept of YPNHK because the show is tackling one of the most important cultural issues we are facing today.
desigrl05 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

I am a Kayastha girl

here's all the info I know about it:

we're from a social economic caste system rather than the religious one [brahmins, kshatriya..etc] so its not really a direct correlation you can make if one is higher or one is lower..they're pretty much come from two different places so comparison would be unfair here

the only reason why I know Kayastha's and Brahmin's differences are big is becasue of the culture/traditions that each home has..

kayastha's [although i am a pure veggie] are known to be big meat eaters..not all of them are but its not an uncommon thing amongst us... our families give education the most importance before all else [trust me its freaking crazy..i think all indians do this though].. kayasthas are also really big about arts/music/dance etc...

and here's biased rude comment of the day: kayastha girls are hella gorgeous but the boys...not so much..sorry my fellow kayastha girls, im sure you gusy knew thsi was coming..

my exboyfriend was a brahmin.. his parents were strict about not having garlic//onions in their food [of course he was a rebel and ate meat lol].. his parents were also very religious..

all in all, all castes are good i believe.. we're just different in cultures sometimes but the basics are all the same.. we all worship ram/sita.. not all the sterotypes fit in w/ ppl of the caste
for example in ypnhk, they show that brahmins are haughty and arrogant about hteir caste..not all are like that..they're pretty down to earth.. in the states, no one gives a two cents about castes..here parents are damn happy if their child finds another hindu [haha..we're bada** here]
and they show kayastha's to be god knows what kind of a dysfunctional family lol

but this show is good to watch just for the basic differences and not to duvle into the nitty gritty..