ARTICLES ABOUT MANISH GOEL

rinita thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Interview with television actor Manish Goel

"God knows what would have happened to me if Ekta Kapoor hadn't come in my life"
Posted on 16 February 2004

A typical filmi story... a young boy runs away from home to the city of dreams - Mumbai, with stars in his eyes. Then follows the struggle to get make it in the big bad world. While back home in Delhi, parents constant pleaded with him to return back. But he wasn't ready to abandon his dreams.

After four years of relentless pursuit he finally got a break in the industry. But that wasn't the end of the struggle, not as yet. Despite the break through the talented actor is yet to get an appropriate reckoning for his talent. That is life story of Manish Goel for you.

You must have seen him previously in Star Plus' Kasautii Zindagi Kay, as a sneaky character dependent on his wife for his daily bread. Of late he is garnering some acclaim for his portrayal of a sensitive husband Tilak in UTV's Bhabhi on Star Plus.

Latest role that he took up has been that of a Flight Lieutenant Saurav Singh in Miditech's Saara Akaash. But just when it seemed like there would be no looking back, he has opted out of the Star Plus weekly.

indiantelevision.com's Vickey Lalwani met up with the 28-year old Goel in his Andheri flat to trace his journey, feelings and dreams.

Read on for excerpts from the heart-to-heart chat that transpired:

What made you take to the entertainment industry?
It all started when I was nine. I won an award for a role in a skit at an inter-school competition. Thereafter, my school (Father Agnel) encouraged me to participate in extra curricular activities like mono acting, dance competitions and dance charades.

Slowly, I started to dream about being a film-star. I started going to the gym, imagining my name amongst the top names in tinselville... Though there wasn't much encouragement from my parents, I thought it would be pretty easy. Pretty soon, the dream started to frustrate me. So after my twelfth boards, I ran off to Mumbai with an uncle. My parents had no ideas as I lied to them that I was going to stay at a friend's place for three days.

Thankfully, when my father came to know, he did not blow his top. Instead, he enrolled me at the Asha Chandra Institute of acting and went back. But I couldn't go through it, so I called my mom and we got the refund. But during the short while that I was there, I got my portfolio done for Rs 3,000.

And why did discontinue the acting course?
Well, the hostel facilities left much to be desired. I couldn't get attuned to the living conditions there.

But I left mainly because I was appalled by the quality of education. In the introductory class, we were asked to enact few Amitabh Bachchan scenes and the instructors asked us to do it exactly like the actor. If I had to learn to imitate other actors, I could have done that sitting at home!

What happened then?
Then, my mom took me to Anand Mahendroo; who was planning a new serial; with a reference letter in tow. I joined as an assistant, but there too, working and staying conditions were not too favourable - sharing a common toilet, sleeping on the carpet, making yourself comfy with just a table fan, eating meals only after all artistes have finished eating. I lost as much as 16 kilos at that time.

Strangely, my tummy was bloating. In short, I stopped looking as a youngster from every angle. I began to question myself that why was I doing this, but somehow continued. Suddenly, Mahendroo informed that he would be leaving for sometime to London. I could not go because he wanted to take only his first three assistants and I was the eighth one. I informed my mom and she came down to pick me up and I returned to Delhi.

My dad suggested that I do some course to make up for the time lost so that I could shape my future. I did a one year course in interior decoration, but… still yearned to become an actor. I started going for training in horse riding, gym and dance.

Thankfully, my dad yet hadn't given up on me, so the financial support was still coming. And I again tried to try my hand at acting. I filled up a form to enroll myself in the Stardust 'Want to be an actor?' batch. My dad this time too did not lose his cool, but told me in no uncertain terms that this was my last chance. Luck! I sailed through all the rounds. And we were put up at Nari Hira's bungalow in Madh Island and pampered with the best of lodging-n-boarding facilities (sighs).

What all did you learn in the Stardust batch?
We were put under Kishor Namit Kapoor. He did not teach us acting, which I think is purely intrinsic. Kapoor would throw up situations and ask us to react. Then, he would correct us and ask us to improvise.

He would work on our correct expression, usage of hands and legs, camera-facing abilities and pronunciations. With such a brilliant training and a subsequent article in Stardust thereafter, I signed up with four-film producers- K C Bokadia, Deepak Shivdasani, Rajat Rawail, Pammi Sandhu.

Wow!
Not wow. None of these projects took off. Every time I called a producer, I was told that he is either in a meeting or in a bathroom. I was told that the market for newcomers was diminishing. I was even called by Gurudev Bhalla who is currently directing my serial Bhabhi, for a film titled Shararat, which later went to Abhishek Bachchan.

However, luckily, I had received a signing amount of about
Rs 70,000 from those four films. I wasn't asked to return it. And I utilised it to stay afloat. Surely, I was not going back to my dad. I decided to go and ask Manish Goswami for a role. While I was flying with those four film projects, Goswami had offered me a role for a TV serial, which I had refused. Now I knew he would say "I'll let you know," and that's exactly what happened.

"Aroona Irani signed me for Mehendi Tere Naam Ki but 24 hours before she began her serial, she informed me that I was not in it. Till date, it's a mystery why I was dropped"

So how did the door to the television industry open for you?
To begin with, I dabbled a bit in the music video Jassi's Kudi. Still, there was no work. I went to model coordinator Mona Irani and she asked me if I was ready to join the chorus for an ad. I told her that would be frustrating, but she said that I had no standing in the market. I agreed and did a few ads like Ponds, Lipton, etc. I also acted in a crowd in Just Mohabbat, Hip Hip Hurray, C.I.D, Aahat and Yeh Hai Raaz.

Along the way, Tony Singh offered me a side role in Just Mohabbat, which fetched me Rs 1,000 per day. That role gave me proper coverage and footage. I started getting noticed. Soon, Aroona Irani signed me for Mehendi Tere Naam Ki. But again, my wheel got clogged. Just 24 hours before Irani began her serial, she informed me that I was not supposed to do the show. Till date, it's a mystery why I was dropped. If Ekta Kapoor hadn't come in my life, God knows what would have happened.

How did Ekta come into your struggle?
Ekta called me and said that she had noticed me in the Jassi's Kudi video and cast me in Bandhan, which fetched me Rs 2,000 per day. Originally my role was supposed to be for 40 episodes, but at the end of the first day itself, she saw the tapes and increased my role to 70 episodes. As soon as my role in Bandhan got over, she cast me as Tushar in Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii.

With Ekta's penchant of giving maximum opportunities to her actors, I soon found myself in Ghar Ek Mandir and Kuch Khona Hai Kuch Pana Hai; the latter one was meant for DD 1 but unfortunately did not see the light of day. After that, Irani called me again and said 'let bygones be bygones, I want to cast you in MTNK.' Nasir was dropped midway and I got into his place, opposite Urvashi Dholakia. And then came Kasautii Zindagii Kay.

It gave me a lot of good professionally and personally. I met my wife Poonam (who played Nivedita in Kasautii..., yes, played, because she is not doing Kasautii... for a while since her track in Ekta's another serial Kkusum has gained limelight).

Interestingly, although we were playing husband and wife, it didn't occur to either of us to make it happen in real life. It was my mother's initiative, which made reel life real. Just before my marriage, I signed Saara Akaash. Just after marriage, I signed Bhabhi.

Why did you disappear from 'Kasautii…'?
Well, my track was slowly diminishing and I spoke to Ekta about it. Actually, the story had deviated in such a way that I was being called for only a scene or two at random. Again I spoke to Ekta. At this point of time, she told me that I'll have to wait for some time for the track to come back. I waited… slowly, Bhabhi and Saara Akaash required me more and more, my track in Kasauti… was not happening, I took a decision of opting out of Kasautii… By this time, someone had poisoned Ekta's ears that I was not allotting dates to her serial. I went and clarified and also explained by decision. Being a creative person, she clearly understood.

But pray, why did you opt from Saara Akaash recently?
That's another story. When I had signed the show, I was told that the spotlight would be equal on the males - Anuj Saxena, Shakti Anand, Manav Gohil and myself. I understand that it is a serial and the precise equality cannot be maintained all along. But how could I continue if I was pushed into the background? The focus is on Shakti Anand and importantly, Sai Deodhar. It has become a woman-oriented serial.

Originally, I had signed a contract of 26 episodes. I spoke to Miditech and expressed my unhappiness. I told them that I would not be able to continue if things did not improve for me. My close-up would not mean anything to the director and producer. I shot scenes, which were erased. Whenever the length of the reel became longer, the axe fell first on me. At one point of time, I saw that my name was not in the script but I was being told to stand behind in the scene.

Why should I be cooling my heels when I am not being utilised as an important character? I was terribly upset. I refused to shoot for that scene. My point is creativity. If I am not convinced, I get too logical about the whole issue and prefer talking to the writer. Do you know what reply I got? That, the writer is holidaying in Goa and maybe he forgot to include my name! I was terribly upset.

But change of tracks is the name of the game in TV serials. Shouldn't you learn to take it in your stride?
What I expect from the producer is to be clear. He should plainly tell me that 'we don't have a track for you, currently'. But don't call me and push me in the backdrop and erase my close-ups.

A similar thing happened in UTV's Bhabhi; I was shown dead. The officials clearly told me that I would not be required for a few days. Now I am back big time. This is professionalism.

"Improvisation is possible only if an actor has a good rapport with the director"

Do you think that creativity is being sacrificed on television?
Yes, to an extent. The main reason why this happens is that actors don't get sufficient time to comprehend the scene. One, we do nearly 10 scenes a day, which I think is a bit too much if you consider the fact that we are given the lines just a few hours before the actual shoot. Plus, there is no continuity. If we go to an outdoor location or a particular studio, we are asked to shoot scenes which are not in continuity because the race against time debars the serial-maker from coming to that place again as and when the need arises in near future. Thus, at times, we shoot some scenes, which are eight to 10 episodes ahead of our present position. In such a scenario, it is tough to get the mood right without having felt the situation preceding it.

Plus, the high speed with which we are compelled to work can be detrimental to our understanding of the transition in our character, which keeps happening as and when the track changes. Like, now in Bhabhi, I have become a drunkard. So I need to do some homework in practicing how exactly a drunkard behaves, moves and talks. Else I'll go either over the top or be too subtle, but not in sync. Often, we are shooting for 13-14 hours in a day and don't get the time to do the homework.

Are you an actor who needs to do homework?
See, I understand what spontaneity is all about. But homework always helps. A doctor who goes to a patient is more at ease if he knows the history of the patient. A student writes his paper well if he has prepared his subject.

If not anything else due to time constraints, I make it a point to phone the writer once in a week and ask him how my character is going to shape up in the next seven days. I even ask the fashion stylist about the hairstyle and the clothes I am going to wear. I insist that I receive the costumes at least one day before a particular shoot. I can't digest it and I am never at ease if asked to wear something suddenly. Clothes play a large role in developing the right body language demanded by the mood of the scene.

There have been instances where I have been told to wear the same shirts, which were given to me last month. But if the track and the mood have changed, I never comply. Suppose last month they had given me red, blue and green shirts because the track was romance, how I can wear those bright colours now when I have become depressed? I demanded two kurtas and jeans.

Do you voice your opinion if you disagree on something?
Always. Like, there was this scene in Bhabhi recently where I come back alive. My re-entry scene was supposed to be in the hospital. The channel wanted me to look clean-shaven and good. I did not allow any make-up on me and did the scene with stubble. How can you show a man in a wheelchair whose love has gone away from him, looking spic and span? I know that some people didn't like my stubbornness, but I can't compromise on creativity and reality (shrugs).

Then, there was a scene where a woman (Shilpa Shinde) who has made me disabled comes in front of me, walks around the wheel chair and says one-full page dialogues - and I was told to sit there like a dodo, without any emotion or struggle. Doesn't that defy logic? I insisted that either I react in some way, or Shilpa suggested that she be given a pistol to put it on my head, which would justify my non-reaction. They relented and opted for the latter.

Also, I am very particular about the lines. If I feel that my character is not such who can say these words, I make it a point to explain to the director. At times, I am helpless- if there are lines, which have come with a footnote: 'You cannot change these lines'.

Do you improvise?
Yes. And that is possible only if an actor has a good rapport with the director. If an actor requests for a retake, a director should agree in the first place. Often, there is very little spare time and directors put forward their helplessness. Television shooting proceeds at a frenzy pace.

Some actors feel that directors should enact a scene before calling 'Action'. What is your take on this?
I will not endorse on this. There are directors who enact the scene as a rule, and thereafter, want the actor to rigidly follow their pattern of mannerisms. I am very uncomfortable. I believe that an actor should be given his space. I will definitely do as my director says, but concept per se, and not to the extent of 'aisa baithna hai, aisa uthna hai, is dialogue ko uthana hai, is dialogue ko dheme bolna hai.'

Are you happy with the quality of work prevalent and available on television?
For females, yes. For males, no. All serials are being made with the protagonist in mind being a female. Perhaps because the majority of viewers are females. And women want emotion. Even in case of Saara Akaash, look how the mother and the sister angle was brought in to generate emotion. I want to play dark negative characters, which arouse hatred for me amongst the viewers. I want to do comedy roles and make the people roll in laughter. There's so much I can do but… (Shrugs).

Which are the actors you admire?
Kiran Karmarkar and Ali Asgar. Nobody can imitate them.

Where do you go from here?
I am not content. Life is a long journey. I came to Mumbai to make it big. My dream of making it big on the big screen, for which I came away from home, is still there to be realised. God willing, I will get my fair share of chances and not disappoint my producers and fans.

But doesn't this film dream scare you looking at Amarr Upadhyay, Varun Badola, Gaurav Chanana…
(Interrupts) It does, but I'll give it a shot. Let me tell you that I am making a conscious effort of making my debut not as a hero. I am talking to a few producers

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

rinita thumbnail
New Faces On Bhabhi
   By: A Mid Day Correspondent
   December 27, 2002

Manish Goel has replaced Joy Sengupta in the lead role of Tilak on STAR's afternoon soap, Bhabhi, from yesterday's episode.

Goel has also worked in Mehndi Tere Naam Ki, Kahaanii Ghar Ghar Kii and Kasautii Zindagi Kay.
The character of Bhabhi will also be given a new face with Dolly Sahi (Kalash) replacing Neha Mehta, in what Goel describes as a "new look" Bhabhi.

Though UTV, which produces the serial, refuses to comment on why its lead actors have been replaced, Sengupta maintains that he was finding it difficult to shell out sufficient dates for the shoot. "I have acted in 140 episodes for Bhabhi.

I wasn't ever comfortable doing a daily soap since it requires hectic shooting day and night and since I do theatre as well, it takes up a lot of my time. There were date problems, so we mutually decided to take on newer talent for the show," Sengupta says.
rinita thumbnail

Manish Goel quits 'Bhabhi'
UTV and Star Plus have a huge problem on their hands. Star Plus' afternoon soap Bhabhi's male lead Manish Goel will longer be a part of the show. We heard that he has not been shooting for the last four days. To add to the misery, the serial has lost its track and has gone haywire.

When contacted, Manish initially feigned ignorance but soon gave in, "Yes. I am out of Bhabhi. I can't tell you why, but the parting was amicable." Is it right Mr Goel... or is there something more to it???

rinita thumbnail
Manish back, Mukul out!

By Vickey Lalwani

Manish Goel has been reinstated by UTV in Star Plus' afternoon daily Bhabhi with full honours.

We mean, he is back on the company's afternoon soap 'Bhabhi'. Goel had been earlier dropped from the show after he allegedly had a physical altercation with an assistant director.

UTV however, seems to be in the mood to let bygones be bygones. The actor was called and told
that the technical unit had been changed and he need not worry about meeting the particular assistant director again. "It's great to be back. I was given a warm welcome," says Goel.

On the other hand, Mukul Dev, who had stepped into Goel's shoes in the interim, says he had some issues with UTV which the production house did not resolve to his satisfaction. "Money was certainly one of the issues," he let us in.

He continues, "They didn't even bother to inform me that I was not doing the show anymore. 'Idhar udhar se udti khabar aayi mere paas'. Never mind. We both weren't feeling comfy with each other
after a certain period of time. Continuing to act in it from my side would be tantamount to flogging a dead horse. I had taken up two shows in between- K Street, Pali Hill (where he plays Nivedita Bhattacharya's husband) and Kaalchakra (where he makes an entry fronm the fifth episode as Nausheen Ali Sardar's husband). UTV was unhappy that I was working on other shows as well.

I was shocked to learn that they had even appealed for an interim injunction to prevent that. But the judge turned it down, thankfully."

Apparently, UTV and Star don't want to experiment any further and have gone back to Goel to raise the show to the same level of popularity it had touched some months ago.

Can Goel do it? Let's wait and watch!

rinita thumbnail
Interview with Poonam Narula

"TV gives me an unbelievable high"
Posted on 17 September 2003

The beautiful Poonam Narula Goel is one of the few privileged actors on Indian television who has cut across channels and featured in major soaps and serials on Star Plus, Zee, Sony as well as Doordarshan.

A commercial artiste by training, Poonam did a course in acting from Ashok Kumar's Acting Academy and hasn't looked back since. Today, her fan mail could keep a small post office busy.

Cut to July ,this year. Venue - the Star Parivaar Awards. The favourite nanand (sister-in-law) category had Poonam (Nivedita of Kasautii Zindagi Kay) and four other lovelies vying for the honours. The others included - Chhaya of Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii, Aanchal of Kehta Hai Dil, Priti of Kumkum and Guddo of Bhabhi.

Not surprisingly, Poonam beat them hands down. A very emotionally charged husband Manish Goel (Tilak of Bhabhi) presented the trophy to her.

Whether it's playing a young lady in search of her lost mother (Kanyadaan) or a woman married to a cruel taxi driver (Lekin), Poonam has done justice to a variety of roles. And mind you, her presence has literally lit up serials - be it Aashirwad, Saath Saath, Itihaas, Kutumb, Kasautii Zindagi Kayor even Kaahin Kissii Roz where she has made an entry recently.

Boy, isn't she giving Sudha Chandran aka Ramola Sikand a run for her money!

Seems like it's a combination of hard work and a flair for acting that works for Poonam, Vickey Lalwani tells her at Sankraman Studios, Goregaon, where she is shooting for Kaahin...

But Poonam brushes it aside modestly, "I have to thank God for my success. He has loaded me with lots of luck," and adds, "I also thank Ekta Kapoor, whose Balaji Telefilms has given me a number of assignments. My first big break came with Ekta's Mano Ya Na Mano."

Read on for excerpts from the tete-a-tete that ensued:

Are you aware that 'Kaahin...' was on the verge of folding up, that TRPs had fallen? But things improved lately... after your entry.
I know (smiles). I love the serial - and my character in it - to the hilt. Sudha Chandran is a great inspiration. When she and I are in the same
frame, I am very alert and charged up. Luckily, I get along very well with her.

Were you skeptical about signing up for this out-and-out negative character?
Not at all. Ekta had taken a call and I never discount her judgment. She has a great eye for who can do what. She didn't even audition me. She simply called the executive producer of Kaahin... and asked her to tell me that she wanted me to do this role.

Poonam on the sets of 'Shararat'

"When I joined TV, there were very few actors. So I didn't have to struggle much. Good work kept coming my way. Call me Destiny's Child!"

What is the secret of being the only one who has really stood up eye-to-eye against Ramola Sikand, sorry, Sudha Chandran?
Don't bypass the people who are writing the script and screenplay. And of course, Ekta Kapoor and Nivedita Basu (creative head of the show).

A lot of scenes have me in the focus. But yes, I am putting my best forward. So, thanks for the compliment (laughs).

Now take it from the back. How did you get drawn by the glamour world?
Ashok Kumar's son Arup and my father are best friends. One summer evening, Arup uncle's son was getting married and we were all there. Preeti Ganguly came up to me and suggested that instead of lazing around in my summer holidays, I should join her acting classes. My dad had no objection, and within a few days, I was a regular at Ashok Kumar's Acting Academy.

A few days later, a photographer connected to the classes clicked my portfolio. Suddenly one day, Ekta called me for an audition. My portfolio pictures had reached her and I still don't know how. Within a few days, I was playing a psycho in Mano Ya Na Mano. I was overjoyed. It took some time to sink in.

Seven years have passed since then. Have things changed in the television industry?
Un dino bada aaram tha (Back then, there was plenty of relaxation). There were very few actors. So I didn't have to struggle much. Good work kept coming my way. Call me Destiny's Child (laughs).

Okay, Destiny's Child. Please elaborate on the changes.
I like the name (laughs). Okay, seriously, unlike earlier, today things are very edgy.

With the advent of more channels and the one upmanship war between them, the demands on actors have multiplied manifold. You have to deliver in every episode, rather, in every scene. And then there is the speed factor. With so many dailies cropping up, there is a mad rush for the goods to be delivered on time. Add this to the number of actors who have entered tellydom; there is tremendous competition, to the extent of artistes plotting the ouster of his nearest rival in the same project. Frankly, it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. But still... (pauses).

Uh, huh?
Once you are in this profession, you can't settle for anything else. It gives you an unbelievable high, something that you can't get out of your system no matter how hard you try, something that has to be experienced to be believed. Mind you, I am not talking about the bread, butter and jam that it gives. I am talking about the addiction it gives.

Ever thought of getting into movies?
No. Ever since my first brush with television, I always had more than I could chew. Besides, I have not been one of those girls who has starry dreams in her eyes. Till date, I have not gone to any producer for a role.

No public relations (PR) stuff?
Never. I don't have a Public Relations Officer. You'll never see me pushing myself even to the media. I mean, I don't push for interviews. And, you'll seldom see me at parties.

But you fit the heroine's bill. Surely, offers must have come your way...
It's not that offers haven't come my way. There have been roles which I have turned down in Hindi and southern films. But nothing meaty. Tell me, why should I take the fluff and drop the meat?

"I've got some offers for films, but nothing meaty. Tell me, why should I take the fluff and drop the meat?"

You sound and even look pretty satisfied with your career. Am I right?
Yes. Didn't I say I am Destiny's Child? (laughs). Truth is, I have played so many different characters till date. Even today, I am doing comedy in Shararat, a character with grey shades in Kasautii... and an out-and-out negative role in Kaahin...

I have never got typecast even for a small period of time and I am just 25 years old.

Okay, how concerned are you about your make-up?
I hate to wear anything heavy and garish. I specifically tell masi (aunt, referring to Nirmala Sood) that, as far as possible, I would wear simple attire. I am quite averse to the jari stuff especially. But yes, I would do any heavy make up if the scene demands it. But not otherwise...

Anyway, I have never had any problem with any channel wanting me to look something that I would be uncomfortable with. There too, I am Destiny's Child (laughs again).

But why don't women take off their make-up when they go to bed in serials?
There is a lot of objection to this portrayal by the so-called intellegentsia. But do you know the hectic pace at which work takes place in the dailies? There is no time to take off the make-up.

Often, I am working in two separate units at the same studio. Before one scene is over and done in one unit, the stage is set for another scene in the second unit.

What do you do on those rare occasions when there is free time between two scenes?
I do lots of masti (fun). They call me a brat. I know most of the Balaji people very well. I have been a part of this production house for quite some time now. Balaji sets are like a second home for me.

Balaji Telefilms is a tough task master, isn't it?
I don't know why anybody should say so, unless he/she is not serious about his work. They demand work and they pay you for it in time. Maybe they pay a little lesser than others, but if and when you go out after working for them, you demand your price and you get it.

And don't they give us dream roles, some of which may never be forgotten? They give us name, they give us fame. Why do some actors still crib and complain? What are they trying to say? I am terribly amused by such people.

Like in Kanyaadan, I was quite new. I was not paid a great amount. But look at the recognition I got. Till date, some people call me 'Sakshi' (the character I played in the serial).

And yes, I started getting three times that amount when Kanyadan ended. Is that a bad deal? It's preposterous to imagine that Ekta should start giving everyone a dream role and a fat packet as well. Somewhere down the line, one ought to compromise.

Do they have a watertight contract with actors?
Ekta has never told me that I have to work for Balaji Telefilms only. Right now, I am giving time to Shararat as well and we haven't discussed a word about it.

You said you do lots of masti on the sets. You must be a spontaneous actor then, I guess.
Hmm... I am essentially a director's actor. Importantly, I need a director who gives me the flexibility to say my lines in my own way subject to the fact that I won't change their meaning.

Do you take your characters home?
No way. Once the camera stops rolling, I am only Poonam Narula Goel. I am a shut on-shut off actor.

These days, many young girls are playing mothers and mother-in-laws. Even you play mother to a 25-year-old in Shararat. Does this trend reduce the scope for 45- or 50-year-olds to act on TV?
I don't think so. This is not a trend. Many young girls are playing more than their age because the story goes ahead by a few years. Besides, talent cannot be suppressed in the television industry. If one is talented and even 60-plus, he/she will get sufficient work.

Poonam Narula at the sets of 'Shararat'

"No replacement is done in a flash. Only when problems reach a crescendo, is such a step taken. There is a genuine reason behind every ouster."

You have been in the industry for seven years but never been replaced in any serial. But do you subscribe to the school of thought that many replacements are done unfairly?
Sorry, I don't. Every maker is tense whether the audience would identify with the new character. He/she does it out of circumstances and not by choice.

No replacement is done in a flash. Only when problems reach a crescendo and things go out of control, is such a step taken. There is a genuine reason behind every ouster. More often than not, the artiste has thrown tantrums or has been irregular. In today's scenario of cut-throat competition, it becomes impossible for the maker and the channel to go on with unprofessional people.

How and when did Manish Goel and you decide to tie the knot?
We were working together in Kasautii..., but were just colleagues and nothing beyond that. Of course, I knew he was a nice guy. If you work with a person for some time, you definitely come to know how he/she is.

It so happened that his parents had come down from Delhi. His mom visited the sets and told me, "I love you from the days of the serial Aashirwad. I would be delighted to have you as my bahu (daughter-in-law)."

I just laughed at the time. A few days later, my parents and I were shopping in Lokhandwala Complex, Andheri (in Mumbai). Incidentally, Manish and his parents were there. We met at one shop. After, 10 minutes, we met at another shop. After, 15 minutes, we met at a third shop. Finally, we decided to shop together.

During that time, Manish's mom told my mom about her desire. My mom thought we both were in love. She questioned me. I told her that there was nothing of that kind. But my family quite liked him and his family. I began to give it a thought. (pauses).

Go on...
... I took nearly three months to decide whether I should get married or not. The question was not whether I should marry Manish or someone else. The question was whether I was mentally ready for marriage. I was living under the thought that marriage was still two or three years away. But then...

rinita thumbnail
Ask a star
   By: A hitList Correspondent
   June 27, 2005

Manish Goyal
This week's Ask A Star is Manish Goyal, who plays Tilak in the afternoon daily Bhabhi on Star Plus. He answers questions sent in by readers via email….

How does it feel playing father to actors who look your age, maybe even older, after the generation leap in Bhabhi?
—- Neha Rajpal

Dear Neha,

Many people have told me that I look like an elder brother and not a father to them. The most obvious thing would be to pull back my hair and wear spectacles. I didn't want to do that and resort to this typical growing old stuff. I preferred to take it up as a challenge and portray the older look through my performance and restrained body language.

I liked your character in Saara Akash.  Why did you leave the show?  Was the role not developing as you had expected?
Joanne Deo

Dear Joanne,

Absolutely right. There was nothing left for me to do in it. I did not want to be retained as furniture. I told them, "You can give me two scenes but let them carry some weight." I was committed for 26 episodes, which I completed, and then parted amicably.

Who are your favourite co-stars in Bhabhi? How did you meet your wife Poonam Narula (Kkusum's Mahi)?
Shazia Syed

Dear Shazia,
My favourite co-stars are Nilu Kohli who plays Chachi and Shilpa Shinde who played Manju. Nilu for her spontaneity and Shilpa for her screen presence. I met my wife on the sets of Kasautii Zindagi Kay in which both of us acted.

It was not love at first sight; we hardly interacted with each other. It was only after my mother, who was a big fan of Poonam, told her that she was looking for a daughter-in-law like her that we actually began thinking along those lines.

How did you get your first break?
Dilshad Shazia

Dear Dilshad,

My first break was given by Nim Sud who is Ekta Kapoor's aunt. She had seen me in a music video and recognised me when I entered the Balaji office looking for assignments. I was cast in Bandhan which aired on DD.

What is your son's name?
Aashi

Dear Aashi,

My son's name is Aryaveer.

When will we see you acting in a Balaji serial?
Sachin Bhalerao

Dear Sachin,

Whenever they want me.

I can't help but noticing that your wife, Poonam Narula, looks older than you.  Is she?
Aarshi Singh

Dear Aarshi,
Not at all; Poonam is two years younger to me.

We read that you have a terrible temper. Is it?
— Prashu Jaipurwalla

Dear Kalpak,

It's not my temper, but being forthright and frank. I don't believe in saying things behind the back. I am an extremist. If I like someone I tell them and if I dislike someone I also tell them that to their face. I don't like hypocrisy. 

How is Dolly Sohi as a co-star?
Sara Chaudhary

She has her limitations.

Are you interested in doing films?
Luis Mathias

Anyday. That's my dream. I was offered two films, Dhoop and Siilsilay, but things did not work out.

rinita thumbnail

No plans to replace Manish Goyal, says Star Plus

Manish Goyal aka Tilak of Bhabhi is terribly upset and hurt over the news carried by us, last evening. "This is not done," he says, "Someone is spreading false information about me."

Here's the rejoinder:

Manish clarifies that he was not dumped from Star Plus and UTV's Bhabhi. "I had myself opted out, simply because I had an altercation on the sets. As a consequence, my self-respect was at stake. Along the way, TRPs went down. And I was recalled."

According to a co-actor in Bhabhi, Rupali Ganguly, "Manish is a great fella. We all are like one family."

To the thing that he is not comfortable with the idea of playing the older character of a father to two grown-up children, Manish says, "I have not refused that as yet. It is premature days to talk about this. We have not yet spoken in detail. We are still negotiating."

Further Manish denies that people who matter are talking to actors who could get into his shoes. Says a Star Plus official endorsing Manish's statement, "We have no plans to replace Manish," adding, "He is doing very well in the show."

What seems to have hurt Manish the most is our quote that he does not have any other offer in hand. Clenching his fist, he lets out a serial of names which cuts across major channels. "Post Bhabhi when I opted out, I was not without work. I played the lead in Devi (Sony) and key portrayals in Krishna Arjun (Star), Saakshi (Sony). I was flooded with offers- Kareena Kareena (Zee), Reth (Zee), Tumhari Disha (Zee), recently Sindoor (Zee), Hum 2 Hai Na (Sony), C.I.D (Sony), Rajshri's forthcoming serial (Sahara). Then they wanted me back in Saara Akaash (Star Plus). Just yesterday, I was offered Prratima (Sahara)- again a lead role."

And the comment on Poonam Narula, his other half, that she had always been more popular than him! "So what? Poonam is my wife, but that does not take away the fact that she is senior to me. I have great regards of her acting potential. She is way beyond for me to consider her as competition," he shoots back.

Didn't Dolly Sohi playing Saroj in Bhabhi also attempt to put sense into his mind when he had mentionned to her about the indecision regarding whether to continue post the leap or not? Manish dismisses it off, "Do I need Dolly to ingrain in me what I should do or what I shouldn't? I have my own mind, an intelligent wife and trustworthy friends to guide me," the lead actor points out.

We hope this Saiiya of Bhabhi puts his head on the pillow and gets a good sleep now

rinita thumbnail
Devi calling, post immersion
PRATIM D. GUPTA
Actors Juhi Parmar and Manish Goyal at The Oberoi Grand to promote their serial Devi. Picture by Amit Datta

The Pujas are over but Devi continues to rule Calcutta. Yes, we are talking about the popular prime-time television show on Sony Entertainment Television. The lead stars, Juhi Parmar and Manish Goyal, were in town on Wednesday to promote the serial.

Juhi, who plays the title character of a woman bestowed with celestial powers, was "always born to be an actress". So she left her hometown, Jaipur, for Mumbai to chase her dreams. "God has been really kind to me as I didn't have to struggle all that much and within one year I was doing Shaheen on Sony. I could have made it even earlier but I didn't want to take any shortcuts."

But then Shaheen faced a 9 pm-roadblock named Kaun Banega Crorepati and fizzled out. Next, Kumkum happened to Juhi. "The show was so popular that there was a big film producer who came and offered Hussain (the male lead) and me the same roles in a film version of the serial. I obviously turned it down because what's a hit on the telly may not work on the big screen."

Movies is what Juhi wants to get into, but only in a big way. "After doing title roles in such major serials on the telly, I wouldn't like to do a film where I have to just dance to three songs and do a couple of scenes. I'll do a film where I am the hero."

In an industry where one actor replaces another overnight, Juhi has no such fears of being packed off in a jiffy. "Yes, there is that insecurity of being replaced but that should never happen for a successful show. They just can't replace me like that. Replacements happen in two ways — either the producer has problems with you or some co-actor has problems. And the replacement option is explored only when it reaches an extreme condition."

Her Devi hero, Manish Goyal, has no such problem with Juhi. The actor, whose big break happened in a Jagjit Singh video directed by Ken Ghosh, is having a blast on the small screen. "It all started with the Jassi music video Dil lagi kudi. It turned out to be my breakthrough as I got Kahaani Ghar Ghar Ki after that. There began my collaboration with Ektaa Kapoor and Balaji as I went on to bag Kasautii Zindagi Kay and Ghar Ek Mandir."

Next, Manish got to work with Aruna Irani for Mehendi Tere Naam Ki. Since then, there has been a steady flow of work — Bhabhi, Saara Akaash and, of course, Devi. "I wanted to be a film superstar and I still do. I look at television as a stepping stone towards that big goal."

Manish was offered the role Sanjay Suri played in the Om Puri-Revathy-starrer Dhoop. "The producer wanted me to leave television completely and do the film, but I had a lot of telly commitments."

That hasn't stopped Manish from dreaming big screen. "I just need to do that first film of mine and I am sure that will land me a lot of good film roles. So after that cinema debut I do not want to look back. It is also likely that after I get into films, I may not want to do television anymore. The transition, though, has to be smooth and then it will be films forever."

Right now, for both Juhi and Manish, it is cupid calling on the small screen as the two fall in love in Devi. What next, a marriage made in heaven?

punjabigl thumbnail
Manish switches channels again

Delhi boy Manish Goel is back doing what he enjoys most: playing devoted husband Tilak to good bahu Saroj. For those not addicted to the afternoon soap Bhabhi (Star Plus) he played the lead for a year-and-a-half, until he was replaced by Mukul Dev. Manish admits that he'd "never lost hope. I always knew that I might be called back."

Manish switched channels for some time: he played a major role in Saakshi and the lead in Devi (both on Sony). Unfortunately for him Saakshi went off the air due to poor TRPs and Devi was also "pulled off suddenly. In fact, I was offered the lead in Kareena Kareena (Zee) which I had to refuse because I had given dates for Devi and I wasn't even aware the show was getting over."

Manish returned to Bhabhi some time ago and until recently was working 16 hours a day. "Now I have a lot of time and I am able to spend time with my wife Poonam and baby," says the doting family man. Manish insists that his son Aryaveer has "actually proved to be lucky. He was six days old when I was called back to do Bhabhi. Returning to a prestigious show like this has given me back my respect, people tend to badmouth you once you are replaced in a show. It's been a homecoming of sorts now that I am doing Bhabhi. I've been missing them a lot." Manish is also sure about what 2005 is going to be like: it will hopefully bring him many films: "I have to be noticed in one film and then it will be easy."
QueenE thumbnail
Thanks for the article
lets keep our fingers cross that someone notices him.

Esti jee Edited by esti - 18 years ago