Some text from Bhagwad Gita about a person's duty:

Chapter 3. Karma-yoga

TEXT 17

yas tv atma-ratir eva syad
atma-trptas ca manavah
atmany eva ca santustas
tasya karyam na vidyate

TRANSLATION

One who is, however, taking pleasure in the self, who is illuminated in the self, who rejoices in and is satisfied with the self only, fully satiated--for him there is no duty.

PURPORT

A person who is fully Krsna conscious, and is fully satisfied by his acts in Krsna consciousness, no longer has any duty to perform. Due to his being Krsna conscious, all impiety within is instantly cleansed, an effect of many, many thousands of yajna performances. By such clearing of consciousness, one becomes fully confident of his eternal position in relationship with the Supreme. His duty thus becomes self-illuminated by the grace of the Lord, and therefore he no longer has any obligations to the Vedic injunctions. Such a Krsna conscious person is no longer interested in material activities and no longer takes pleasure in material arrangements like wine, women and similar infatuations.

TEXT 18

naiva tasya krtenartho
nakrteneha kascana
na casya sarva-bhutesu
kascid artha-vyapasrayah

TRANSLATION

A self-realized man has no purpose to fulfill in the discharge of his prescribed duties, nor has he any reason not to perform such work. Nor has he any need to depend on any other living being.

PURPORT

A self-realized man is no longer obliged to perform any prescribed duty, save and except activities in Krsna consciousness. Krsna consciousness is not inactivity either, as will be explained in the following verses. A Krsna conscious man does not take shelter of any person--man or demigod. Whatever he does in Krsna consciousness is sufficient in the discharge of his obligation.

TEXT 19

tasmad asaktah satatam
karyam karma samacara
asakto hy acaran karma
param apnoti purusah

TRANSLATION

Therefore, without being attached to the fruits of activities, one should act as a matter of duty; for by working without attachment, one attains the Supreme.

PURPORT

The Supreme is the Personality of Godhead for the devotees, and liberation for the impersonalist. A person, therefore, acting for Krsna, or in Krsna consciousness, under proper guidance and without attachment to the result of the work, is certainly making progress toward the supreme goal of life. Arjuna is told that he should fight in the Battle of Kuruksetra for the interest of Krsna because Krsna wanted him to fight. To be a good man or a nonviolent man is a personal attachment, but to act on behalf of the Supreme is to act without attachment for the result. That is perfect action of the highest degree, recommended by the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Sri Krsna.
Vedic rituals, like prescribed sacrifices, are performed for purification of impious activities that were performed in the field of sense gratification. But action in Krsna consciousness is transcendental to the reactions of good or evil work. A Krsna conscious person has no attachment for the result but acts on behalf of Krsna alone. He engages in all kinds of activities, but is completely nonattached.

TEXT 20

karmanaiva hi samsiddhim
asthita janakadayah
loka-sangraham evapi
sampasyan kartum arhasi

TRANSLATION

Even kings like Janaka and others attained the perfectional stage by performance of prescribed duties. Therefore, just for the sake of educating the people in general, you should perform your work.

PURPORT

Kings like Janaka and others were all self-realized souls; consequently they had no obligation to perform the prescribed duties in the Vedas. Nonetheless they performed all prescribed activities just to set examples for the people in general. Janaka was the father of Sita, and father-in-law of Lord Sri Rama. Being a great devotee of the Lord, he was transcendentally situated, but because he was the king of Mithila (a subdivision of Bihar province in India), he had to teach his subjects how to fight righteously in battle. He and his subjects fought to teach people in general that violence is also necessary in a situation where good arguments fail. Before the Battle of Kuruksetra, every effort was made to avoid the war, even by the Supreme Personality of Godhead, but the other party was determined to fight. So for such a right cause, there is a necessity for fighting. Although one who is situated in Krsna consciousness may not have any interest in the world, he still works to teach the public how to live and how to act. Experienced persons in Krsna consciousness can act in such a way that others will follow, and this is explained in the following verse.

TEXT 22

na me parthasti kartavyam
trisu lokesu kincana
nanavaptam avaptavyam
varta eva ca karmani

TRANSLATION

O son of Prtha, there is no work prescribed for Me within all the three planetary systems. Nor am I in want of anything, nor have I need to obtain anything--and yet I am engaged in work.

PURPORT

The Supreme Personality of Godhead is described in the Vedic literatures as follows:

tam isvaranam paramam mahesvaram
tam devatanam paramam ca daivatam
patim patinam paramam parastad
vidama devam bhuvanesam idyam

na tasya karyam karanam ca vidyate
na tat-samas cabhyadhikas ca drsyate
parasya saktir vividhaiva sruyate
svabhaviki jnana-bala-kriya ca

"The Supreme Lord is the controller of all other controllers, and He is the greatest of all the diverse planetary leaders. Everyone is under His control. All entities are delegated with particular power only by the Supreme Lord; they are not supreme themselves. He is also worshipable by all demigods and is the supreme director of all directors. Therefore, He is transcendental to all kinds of material leaders and controllers and is worshipable by all. There is no one greater than Him, and He is the supreme cause of all causes.
"He does not possess bodily form like that of an ordinary living entity. There is no difference between His body and His soul. He is absolute. All His senses are transcendental. Any one of His senses can perform the action of any other sense. Therefore, no one is greater than Him or equal to Him. His potencies are multifarious, and thus His deeds are automatically performed as a natural sequence." (Svetasvatara Upanisad 6.7-8)
Since everything is in full opulence in the Personality of Godhead and is existing in full truth, there is no duty for the Supreme Personality of Godhead to perform. One who must receive the results of work has some designated duty, but one who has nothing to achieve within the three planetary systems certainly has no duty. And yet Lord Krsna is engaged on the Battlefield of Kuruksetra as the leader of the ksatriyas because the ksatriyas are duty-bound to give protection to the distressed. Although He is above all the regulations of the revealed scriptures, He does not do anything that violates the revealed scriptures.

Credit:
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 14 years ago
as i had already mentioned in my post i simply "heard " it on the news channel -India Tv-a few days back .They didnt find the body but were talking about the claims of that tribe. BTW has ravanas cremation details been mentioned in the scriptures. Anyone here who knows, plz share😊

Yeah it has. Ramcharitmanas, as well as Valmiki Ramayan itself, describes the cremation. Will post the paragraphs from them soon.😊
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: _LalithaJanaki_

Have you seen BRC's Mahabharat? Yeah, I know it's old compared to the new technology of today, but it's direction I feel was perfect for the 1980s. No one can portray Lord Krishna better than Nitish Bharadwaj.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1HV5Zwjnh0[/YOUTUBE]

Hon, I have the entire series on DVD.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail

Originally posted by: Summer3

Janaki,

I think most of us are aware that names have vibrations and both Om and Rama have the Divine vibration of 7. So Rama may be repeated as it also has the power to remove our ignorance ( same as Om). Ah understanding the qualities and the nature of Rama will melt the hardest heart it is said.

One of Ravana's followers advised Ravana to take the form of Rama and wins Sita's love. Ravana mentioned that all evil thoughts will go away once he takes on Rama's form, so it was not a good idea.πŸ˜†

Both Rama and Sita were  Divine incarnations who were fully aware of the role they had to play to teach mankind the proper path and moral codes. I find most Rama bhajans have a sad and sentimental tune.

Wow, agree with everything you said!πŸ‘

In Valmiki Ramayan, it gives a short account of Valmiki's past....of how he had become a Ram Bhakt and how Ram Naam washed away his sins.

He was born to Nishada parents and was very rowdy in his childhood. In his teenage years, he became a thief and stole many things from people's houses. Later on in life, he indirectly caused the death of a pious kshatrani in order to get something his equally crooked wife wanted, thereby acuring the curse of the Rajkumari. Valmiki finally began to realize the gravity of his actions and wanted forgiveness from God, who he finally began to fear.

Saga Narada told him that to erase his sins and walk on the right path, he should chant the word "Mara" meaning "death" over and over and over for hundreds of years. Valmiki chanted "Mara" over and over, but the letters, when separated differently, creation the word "Rama" Rama" Rama" instead of "Mara" "Mara" "Mara". Even before Lord Rama was born, his naam was so powerful to wash away a person's sins, because ultimately, Rama is another name of Lord Vishnu.

Valmiki chanted Lord Rama's name for hundreds of years before he reached self actualization and became a Maharishi, abstaining the material concerns of a human life. Then the incident with the two Krauncha birds happened, and Lord Brahma gave him divya dhrishti to look into the entire life of Lord Rama and compose the history of the avatar of the Supreme Lord who had erased his sons.

It is written in the phalasruthi of Valmiki Ramayana that those who write, read, or listen to Ramayana with a pure clear mind and chant Lord Rama's name or the sacred symbol "Om" every day as Dhyaan will receive moksha.

I think Ram bhajans have a sentimental sad tune because the story of Ramayana itself is sentimental and sad. It is the story of ultimate sacrifice and devotion, each character aiming to surpass the other in their nobility and greatness.

I mean, who has brothers like Lakshman and Bharat today, or spouses like Ramji or Sitaji?😊 And who can surpass the devotion of Hanumanji?😳
Here is a Hanuman bhajan which has such a sad tune. It's so beautiful and makes you feel at peace after listening to it.😍

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mcDj5qR5H8[/YOUTUBE]
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
RamKiSeeta thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Hon, I have the entire series on DVD.

So do I.

Did you like it?

What other mythos do you have on DVD?

I agree though that leaving aside Shri Krishna, every character was gray shaded.

Didn't Drona actually break the sunrise sunset rule when he started the battle at midnight. The battle where Karna killed Ghatotkacha.

Personally even Krishna had grey shades, like where he encourages Yudhishter for the one lie or asks Bheema to hit Duryodhana in the thigh during the gada yudh. Of course he had his moral rationale in doing so. But the actions were morally questionable too.

I found Vidura to be the only mostly good character in the series with least flaws.

Edited by return_to_hades - 14 years ago

Originally posted by: _LalithaJanaki_

So do I.

Did you like it?

What other mythos do you have on DVD?

Oh man its like old school glory. Of course I loved it. As kids we used to reenact all the battle field scenes. Those flashing arrows that glowed green and turned into snakes and ropes and stuff. 😊

I also have the Shree Krishna series (but its bootleg though)

Edited by return_to_hades - 14 years ago
RamKiSeeta thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Oh man its like old school glory. Of course I loved it. As kids we used to reenact all the battle field scenes. Those flashing arrows that glowed green and turned into snakes and ropes and stuff. 😊

Oh wow! We'd love it if you join this CC and share your opinions on the serial/actors then. It's an FC for BRC's MB and Ramayan.
https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/24418538

I also have the Shree Krishna series (but its bootleg though)

Did you like it?
Ahh....Swapnil Joshi!😍😳

Originally posted by: chal_phek_mat

Not too big of a fan of Ramayana, too preachy and too theoretical, cant relate to it. I am much more a realist to accept it. Mahabharata is a different story, it is more real life, has all the everything that we live with in today's age. It is like as mentioned in "You've got mail" about Godfather movie, every situation you have in your life you can find something that you can relate to. Ditto with Mahabharata. The very fact that someone could write something so valid even after 2000+ years is amazing 

Coming to the debate, If you were to assume, Kauravas won the war in Mahabharata, Duryodhan and Karna would have been heroes instead of Arjun and Krishna. Actually if you were to ignore that Krishna was a incarnation of Lord Vishnu and Pandavas won and if you compare the character of Krishna to that of Karna. Karna comes out better.  Talking about ethics etc. There were equal number of unethical actions against the Kaurvas as much as the Kaurvas committed. But still the Kauravas are villified. Huge lesson that comes out of Mahabharata is the winner ends up writing the history and everything you do gets justified by some means or other. So concentrate on winning the battle,

Personally for me the Mahabharata also appealed much more that Ramayana because of the complete gray nature of the characters.  The characters in Ramayana are too good to be true, unrelatable to the common man. Only one identifiable might be Ravana.

While in Mahabharata they are more identifiable. Even Krishna who maybe an avatar of Vishnu. Within the Mahabharata he is more humanized. Krishna himself becomes the catalyst for a lot of acts and instigations. To me the focal point and appeal of the Mahabharata lies in the gray areas of ethics.

Why I feel the balance tilts in favor of the Pandavas is because overall their actions are much less darker than the Kauravas. It is Duryodhana who first acts out on his jealousy towards his cousins. From the conspiracy at Varnavrat to the game of dice he is constantly tried to kill or undermine his cousins. It was the Kaurava side that always broke the rules of battle first, from the attack at midnight to the killing of Abhimanyu.

Although I would not say that the Kaurava's were totally vilified. When Bheema breaks Duryodhana's thighs and Duryodhan falls, the God's come and shower flower petals on Duryodhan recognizing his greatness as a king and warrior. In Indralok, Dharma and Indra explain to Yudhisther why Duryodhan deserves his place in heaven despite his misdeeds.

As for Karna, he is counted as one of the heroes of Kurukshetra. Till today people revere his heroics. Its Karan-Arjun who people remember as the greatest and noblest warriors at a battle. For all his misdeeds he was the one who was cruelly victimized by fate and his own brothers. People still know him as a loyal friend who stood by the friend who made him who he was. People still know him as a man of his words who stood by his honor code even if it meant death.

Ultimately, the greatest blame lies not on the Kauravas or Karna - but on Dhritrashtra and Gandhari who failed to guide their sons and in fact supported them out of their own weaknesses, on Kunti who could not own up to her mistakes in time, and on Sakuni who played on the emotions of his nephew.

The Pandavas are also not as clean as they appear. Post the game of dice Yudhisther is constantly reminded of his weakness for gambling and how he lost his kingdom, brothers and wife through dice. He is condemned for his lie. Even Arjuna cannot complete the ascent of the Himalayas to enter Indralok because he falls during the ascent - he was to vain and arrogant of his skills as a warrior.

You pose an interesting question of what if the other side won the war. Perhaps perceptions of the shades would shift. Who really knows, its very much an interesting what if.

Has anyone seen the Marathi play Yada Kadachit. Its an interpretation of Mahabharata for the Kalyug, where the roles are reversed. It was is controversial for the radical interpretations, but its actually a really hilarious and pretty witty take in my opinion. Its still a very popular Marathi play. In this version the Kauravas are sick of their reputation as the bad guys and want to turn a new leaf and Pandavas are sick of falling into the traps of their cousins. Even Krishna is portrayed as a mafioso Gauli Bhai. And all sorts of crazy things happen like Ravana showing up to the Draupadi Swayamvar. My favorite part is the Pandavas intro. Each Pandava comes on stage and introduces himself. Yudhishter introduces himself "meech to, meech to, nako tithe shanpatti karoon pandavana, bhikela lavnara' Which translates "I'm the one, I'm the one, who acts like smart a$$ and gets the Pandavas begging on the streets"

http://www.glamsham.com/yadakadachit/syno.htm

Previous
1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 35
Next