Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Exoctica thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Goodwill galore

Sharad Kelkar is on good terms with the production houses he's working with. Currently he's doing two dailes on Zee, Sindoor Tere Naam Ka and Saat Phere which understandably is very hectic. Consequently, there are times when he is unable to complete the requisite scenes of Sindoor ... in a single day. He is called the next day to shoot the remaining scenes and Sharad, being a dedicated actor, doesn't charge a single penny for the extra day. When actors' fees is in lieu with the time they spend on the sets, Sharad's sincerity and discipline is admirable.

Edited by Exoctica - 18 years ago
anjali.nair thumbnail
Sharad- Kirti's naya ghar

Sharad Kelkar and Kirti Gaikwad
The two are working round the clock. Sharad Kelkar and Kirti Gaikwad are one busy couple.
While she's shooting for Sinndoor Tere Naam Ka, Sharad is occupied with Saat Phere and Sinndoor. However, in spite of all the work, the jodi has managed to shift house. Reveals Sharad, "Yes, we are moving to a bigger place.

The entire credit for decorating the house goes to Kirti. I have been so busy with work that I hardly got any time for supervision. But hats off to her for taking time out and making the new ghar special."

The buzz is that the couple will most likely make it to the Nach Baliye 2 list this year. Has he heard anything about it? "No I haven't got any official word on it. But yes, both of us are excited about the idea."

(Courtesy: mid-day)
monika.goel thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Home is where the hearth is

Actors Keerti and Sharad Kelkar

Actors Keerti and Sharad Kelkar have been christened the 'good-looking couple' of the TV industry. Their effervescent chemistry has much to do with it. Walk into their Oshiwara home and you walk into a warm and comfortable environment. On the rare day when the two have packed up early, they invite us over for a hot cup of coffee. Paintings, DVDs, vibrant bed-covers... Keerti cheerfully shows off the effects they call their very own.

1. Curtain Call
Keerti and Sharad moved into this 2BHK flat only a fortnight ago. Keerti had always dreamt of living in a big and spacious home. "I love to entertain my in-laws and friends. It wasn't possible to do so in my earlier one-bedroom-hall flat," she says.  The actress is looking forward to a visit from her in-laws in the coming week. "They will occupy the TV room; I already have it ready for them," Keerti says happily. 

2. On the Floors
They've been married for 10 months, but they have the easy familiarity that couples who have been living together long, do. There are no added responsibilities to shoulder.  Of the things he looks forward to, dropping into Keerti's brother's place for dinner, is one. "I know I'll get the best food there," he smiles. Sharad also looks forward to playing with their pet dog, Bingo. Unfortunately for the owners, they have to sometimes put up with Bingo's tantrums – the effects of living with stars.   

3. Pati, Patni aur woh
It's only on rare occasions that they have a spat. "I indulge my wife," Sharad proudly announces. Be it dancing, eating out, or simply having a conversation, they have lots in common… even a common spiritual equation. "We'd rather talk to God than go temple-hopping," they say. Their other common interest is cleanliness. When they're home, cleaning out their bedroom is a chore they enjoy.

4. Soppy Opera
Sharad can spend hours watching TV, and that drives Keerti up the wall. "Sharad can be a complete couch-potato. I've tried my best to change that habit of his, but in vain," she sighs. However, Keerti soon recognised the advantage of following the adage: when you can't beat 'em, join 'em. So she joined her husband in watching the telly. "I fall asleep on his lap watching TV almost everyday," she blushes. After a hard day's work, this is how they unwind.

The couple's little secrets...

• Sharad has acted in a National-award winning Marathi film, Uttarayan

• Keerti made her Bollywood debut in the Raveena Tandon-starrer, Soch

• They don't agree with people who claim that love flies out of the window after marriage

• Sharad used to bring his wife tea in bed when their maid was on leave for a month

• Keerti likes her husband to wear clothes that she selects for him

• They're both non-vegetarian - he loves chicken; she prefers seafood

• They love going to theatres to watch Hindi films, but for English titles, they stick to their DVD player

• Sharad is a fitness freak; he even worked as an instructor back home in Gwalior. Keerti doesn't have the time to work out, so she keeps a check on her diet instead

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/nmirror/mmpaper.asp?sectid=15&am p;am p;am p;articleid=41220060551609412200605237531
Edited by monika.goel - 18 years ago
monika.goel thumbnail
Apara refuses to play Ash's mommy
   By: Tusshar Joshi
   April 12, 2006

Apara Mehta
Soon after she made her exit from Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi as Savita, Apara  landed a plump role in Zee's Saat Phere as the scheming Kaki. But what was by far, the most tempting offer made to the actress was to play mother Aishwarya Rai's in Mani Ratnam's Guru.

When contacted she confirms that she was offered the part. But she claims she wasn't told anything about the length of her role. "I haven't been informed anything about my role or what I am doing in the film. I have just met an assistant director from the film, but after that no one has got back to me."

Does that mean she's not doing the role? "Who wouldn't want to do a Mani Ratnam film, but I don't want to jump into a project not knowing what I am asked to do."

Apara's angry

However, an actress close to Apara revealed that the real reason for turning down the part because she was not given any details about the fee, or her look in the film.

"They just asked her to block some dates for the film without even giving her any background of the character. No one bothered to get back to her. I think it's the attitude of the film fraternity towards television actors that must have put her off.

Also, since she's doing a daily and plays on weekends she didn't want to blindly block her dates," revealed her close friend.

So what's Mehta looking forward to in the coming days? "Theatre is my first love and I am happy doing it. My Gujarati play Kem Cho? Majama? completed 145 shows last Sunday to a packed audience. I am also keen on working with Ekta Kapoor again, as I know she will have something lined up for me."

monika.goel thumbnail

Make-up bothers Gayatri bua

Kunal M Shah

THEN : Gayatri bua as a widow

NOW : Gayatri bua after marriage

Even if Sadiya Siddique is ecstatic over her role in Saat Phere undergoing change, she is not exactly comfortable with the extra hours she will have to spend over this impending new look.

Her character, Gayatri bua will go from being a widow to being a married woman. With the married tag comes a complete make-over which requires her to wear Rajasthani saris and heavy jewellery.

The flipside is that Sadiya, who used to take negligible time to get ready, now requires hours spent in front of the mirror applying make-up to suit the role. A situation she is not very comfortable with. "The earlier look was one sans make-up and any elaborate outfits or accessories. Earlier I used to take only 15 minutes to get ready and was not required to use too much make-up; this suited me fine as I am not fond of too much make-up. Now, life is going to be tougher. I will have to put kajal, lipstick, false eye lashes and eye shadow."

Although her role requires loud make-up, Sadiya is trying to keep it subtle. "I believe that simple make up looks natural and beautiful. I will try to keep it simple but I will be expected to wear bright coloured saris," she says. Meanwhile, the actress is busy with her theatre and has recently completed a play called Pile Scooter Wala Aadmi with Manav Kaul. "I will be doing another play with him which will start in a couple of months. I am also doing a short film with him," says Sadiya.

•  Earlier I used to take only 15 minutes to get ready and was not required to use too much make-up; this suited me fine as I am not fond of make-up. Now, life is going to be tougher

monika.goel thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

I  am the exact opposite of my on-screen character, I am an emotional, sensitive and a compromising character in real life," gushes the chubby Anchal.

How do you feel portraying a negative character?
I am very lucky to have got a chance to portray my talent. I love this character as it requires me to laugh and cry on different occasions which is really challenging. The character of Kaveri is full of happening incidents. Initially it was difficult for me to get into the character but later on I imbibed the grey shades so well that at times I felt it was not me. In real life I am a happy-go-lucky female who cannot even think of hurting the smallest insect. I spread happiness and want others to be happy forever.

Do you remember any childhood incident that you co-relate on-screen today?
Oh yes! I remember my school days when I couldn't tolerate my best friend overshadowing me at school. I used to fight with her like crazy. Now she is no more and I feel very sad about it.

Any fights on the sets? I mean professional rivalry?
No not at all. It is like a family. Only at times I feel my co-artists feel jealous of me because of my fancy attire and special look the producers insist on. Earlier, when I used to hear people taunting 'Why should she be dressed like this when we are not', I used to get hurt. But by now I am used to all this. So it doesn't matter any more.

What about your alleged link-up with your on-screen husband Mazhar?
(Laughs) Link-up! Oh my God! We are just good friends who share good jokes, that's all. Nothing beyond that. We are pals and HE is definitely not my boyfriend.

Agreed. Then who is it?
I have no time for boyfriends at the moment. I shall think about it only after 10 years. Now this is my first innings and I want to make it big.

What is your parents' reaction to you playing a vamp?
They are the biggest support for me. My father has always been my friend and my advisor. Whenever I (as Kaveri) fail in my on-screen plans, they feel disappointed and wait for the next episode just to see me win my dirty game. Only after they see me succeed, they heave a sigh of relief.

And people from your hometown Agra? How do they react to your negative image?
They know I am a very polite person by nature and can't believe I can be such a mean person on screen. Whenever I go to Agra and they meet me, they all have only one question to ask, 'How could you change so much?' (laughs) They feel I have really become a trouble maker.

Any plans for Bollywood?
I am open to good roles and am waiting for a break. But as of now I am quite a satisfied person. A lot of TV offers are coming, but then, due to work pressure and shortage of time, I am not being able to take up any further assignment.

Do you fear being typecast?
Well, I do not fear any such hiccups coz I have already been approached by Sony TV for a positive role in Karamchand to be telecast some time in June this year.

What's your personal opinion about playing negative roles?
We, as actors have to perform our part well and act to the best of our abilities. A good performance is what matters. As long as I am satisfied, I don't care what people say.

Well, before wishing you the very best, any message for our readers?
My message to one and all is to watch me regularly, live amicably with one another and enjoy my negative aura in a positive manner. (Sampurn)

http://www.deccan.com/TV%20Guide/TV%20GuideDescription.aspEdited by monika.goel - 17 years ago
monika.goel thumbnail

Work till you drop

Deepa Parab and Aditi Pratap continue to work despite severe illness. So does everyone else in the television industry

Sapana Patil Poojary

TV actors follow almost inhuman work schedules. Very often actors feel the pressure and collapse on the sets.

Recently Deepa Parab who plays the lead in Sony's Thodi Khusi Thode Gham, was added to the list of stressed out TV stars. She suffered from malaria last year and before she could recover fully, had a relapse. Despite this, she has been reporting for her shootings regularly. Parab says, "After I was diagnosed with malaria, I took rest for just two days, and resumed work from the third day. Not because I had recovered fully, but because I was required urgently to shoot for my scenes. There was no option for me bu to go to work. When scenes have to be canned, there is no alternative. When a serial goes on air, it has a bank of episodes, but that gets exhausted soon. Also, there are the routine requirements like 'improvement' shots, etc. Such things often happen at the last minute. The worst part is that, malaria leaves scars on your face. So I have to apply extra layers of make up to hide them."

Another actress who is braving shooting schedules despite being unwell is Aditi Pratap. Pratap who plays Aditi in Saat Phere, has been reporting to shoots with a cast around her ankle. "I have a severe problem with my knee," she explains. "I had damaged it while practising yoga. Now I can't bend it, nor can I walk up and down the stairs. I can't sit on the floor, neither can I wear high heels. My knee is so bad that it hurts all the time. To make matters worse, a doctor has told me that the actual problem stems from my ankle. Apparently, I had been walking around with a dislocated ankle and that created an indirect pressure on my knee. Now I have been told to wear a cast around my ankle which I will have to continue to wear for the next eight months. I can barely move, yet if the scene demands it (like one of the marriage sequences I shot for recently) I do sit on the floor, even though I know it will cause acute pain."

Why doesn't she take a break from work? "How can I refuse work," she asks. "TV actors relax only when they have no work. I know actors who have put off vacations, marriages and even honeymoons because of work."

monika.goel thumbnail
What makes Saat Phere tick

During the launch of Saat Phere, Zee TV's programming head Ashwini Yardi had stated, "This is the story of a dark girl and she will remain so till the end of the show...she will not have any makeovers!" - Yardi has kept her promise and perhaps this is the reason why Saat Phere has, in six months, become the channel driver for Zee.

A lot has been written about how Saat Phere has been a winner for Zee, but not much has been said about the content of the show that has perhaps played the most important role in its success.

The show is a winner because it's truly different. Viewers in India are accustomed to certain perceptions on television - and these perceptions are directly proportionate to the future of the character in question. If the girl is 'fair, pretty and from a rich family' then she will either be a 'vamp' or will experience misfortune as a result of which she will lose everything and therein the story will track her struggle to gain it all!; again, if the character is 'dark skinned' and 'from a middle class household', then, she will encounter gigantic misfortunes, her life after marriage will be marred by a bitchy sister-in-law and a husband who loves someone else! While in the former a makeover is a choice, in the later it's imperative! What Saat Phere has manaqed to do is break all perceptions and that's why it makes a statement against all prevalent norms that govern television at present.

Saloni is a middle class ugly duckling, even after being six months on air, her makers are not making her go through torturous times- and that's a surprise for viewers of the medium! Her life is normal - neither does her family post marriage want to kill her, nor is her husband having an extra marital affair! This package somehow belies all that we had come to accept as saleable on television - extra marital affairs, melodrama and suffering womankind!

I am in no way suggesting that Saloni has no problems in life - she has problems that any dark skinned girl will have in a high society household. Kaki's (Apara Mehta) reason for not liking Saloni is a case in point - it's known that the older generation seldom has the same reverance for the dark skin as we do ( post Noyonika Chatterjee that is) and her first reaction to the girl was perhaps acceptable. Her change too is obvious, she recognises the girl's good qualities and that doesn't take her years to unearth (somehing that cannot be said about other shows)!

But the show has its share of drama - Shubhra's pregnancy, Ishaan's abduction and the suspense behind the locked door has given the track a certain amount of pace and a sense of urgency that keeps viewers glued to their TV sets. Then there is an imminent sibling rivalry on the cards with Shubra finding out that her husband Neel had a soft spot for her elder sister, Saloni! Then there's trouble brewing on her home front with Kaveri creating a menace...so there's loads of drama to look forward to.

Zee has even launched a contest to involve viewers in the story - this time viewers have to guess what is behind the locked door. Zee's strategy seems clear - give audiences simple fare, in simple words and visuals. Look at the recently launched Zee shows - be it Kasamh Se, Saat Phere and Jabb Love Hua they are all based on one single premise. There are no unnecessary complications. We are not consumed by the labyrith of relationships, tracks and sub-tracks. While Kasamh Se is the story of three sisters, Saat Phere is about Saloni and Jabb.. is about Aanya and Raghu - there's no shift in focus, no digressions. This is the new Zee as we see it now - its focus has shifted to being the trendsetter! With the success of the new shows, Zee's primetime is looking really good and it can only get better.

Also, Saat Phere's production team needs mention for just sticking to the plot. Sunjoy Wadhwa's other show, Don, on Star One too is a tried and tested formula like Saat..but it manages to hold your attention sometimes with dramatic disguises and sometimes wth sheer pace! Sunjoy makes it a point not to hold back...the suspense does not linger more that it's necessary...this skill of his is also reflected in Saat...- there is not a moment when you feel that the track is getting repetitive or a thought is being stretched too far.

So what makes the viewers come back to the show again and again???? The viewers are waiting to see what happens next...they have to tune in to see when Saloni's misfortune befalls her, when the cynics can turn around and tell the others, this one turned out to be the same as the others! I told you so!' The success of this show will primarily depend on how long the makers manage to out think the viewers, how much they can keep giving them reasons to predict the obvious and at the same time dish out surprises....all this even as they fight to resist the temptation of falling prey to the popular idiom.

By ANANYA SENGUPTA
Posted on 22 May 2006 4:30 pm
Edited by monika.goel - 17 years ago
mandy0310 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 8
Moulli aur Mazher ki khaas dosti

After playing Krittika in Zee daily Sarrkkar, Moulli Ganguly will next feature in J D Majethia's Resham Dank, slated for Star One.

A low-profile actress, Moulli is rarely seen at bashes and is content to be with her select group of friends. She has never been linked with her co-stars, and keeps her personal life tightly under wraps.

However, when she was recently spotted shopping in the company of Mazher Sayedd (who plays Samar in the Zee drama, Saat Phere) we couldn't help but notice the special bond between them.

Acted together

The duo featured together in Kahiin Kissi Roz, on Star Plus, where they played Shaina and Anish. Though Moulli walked out of the drama due to creative differences, and the show went off the air later, both have still kept in touch.

Says Moulli, who is at home in Kolkata right now, "Mazher is a good friend. When the time is right, I will talk about it."

An actress, working in one of the K serials, admitted that Moulli and Mazher have been best friends since Kahiin Kissi Roz. "People may be unaware of it, because the two are never spotted together at public events. They are extremely focussed on their careers. But we all know about it and are also aware that Moulli and Mazher are really close."

'We're buddies'

Mazher was forthright. "Moulli and I have known each other since Kahiin Kissi Roz," he said. "Moulli, Sudha Chandran and I were a great team. Even when the show ended, Moulli and I remained best friends; we're real buddies."

Is there more to the friendship? "At present, I can't say anything. If there's anything more, you'll know about it," says Mazher.

However, we learnt that there's definitely more to the Moulli-Mazher friendship. "Moulli will not say anything about it, but both are extremely fond of each other," says our source.
monika.goel thumbnail

Time for Saat Phere
Rajashri Thakur, who makes her small screen debut as Saloni in "Saat Phere", speaks to SANGEETA BAROOAH PISHAROTY
PHOTO: ANU PUSHKARNA
DUSKY DAMSEL Rajashri Thakur says her skin tone was the clincher for the role of Saloni in "Saat Phere" on Zee TV. Being spotted as relatively active on stage during her school and college days, many well-wishers had advised Rajashri Thakur to look at a career on television. But having seen "the same old roles" cut out for female actors in tele-serials, Rajashri says she didn't want to be seen anywhere near it and instead got on to studying law. "Meanwhile, I did an Indo-French film called Hawa Aane De," she shares. She played the role of Salma, a college-goer in the film. "It was about how many promising youngsters in India can't achieve their dream because of financial difficulties and the frustrations that they undergo," she explains. When the film was screened in the Asian Film Festival, the producers of Saat Phere, the popular daily serial that she is seen in now on Zee TV, approached Rajashri for the lead role of Saloni. "I told them no straightaway. But as the calls kept coming and the writer of Hawa Aane De, Virendra Shekhar, who knew the producers well, asked me to meet them once, I went and read the script, and everything changed. I loved the script, it is so different from what is rolled out on TV these days. I am happy that the serial is doing well," says the Mumbaiite. Saat Phere is the story of Saloni, a girl from a middle-class family in Rajasthan who suffers humiliation because of her dark complexion. She marries Nahar for love, a nice, supportive man from a rich family, but only to suffer at the hands of wily relatives for dowry demands and various forms of rich-poor discrimination so common in our society. "It is a very real story that many girls with a skin colour like mine and from a lower middle class background face. With marriage it worsens. But the best part about Saloni is she never prefers to lose in life," states Rajashri, adding that her skin tone was the clinching factor for the role. A newsreader too A graduate of Bombay University, Rajashri also had a stint as a newsreader with All India Radio in Mumbai. "I tried a lot of things. My stage background gave me a lot of confidence to do different things. I was such a regular in the Indian National Theatre competition. It is very popular among university students in Mumbai," she recounts. Rajashri also did a few modelling assignments for Tanishq, Bajaj Almond Hair Oil and Whirlpool, etc. And now that she is being noticed in Saat Phere, will she hang around in Tinsel Town? "Well, it depends, if I get good roles," replies Rajashri.

SANGEETA BAROOAH PISHAROTY

Edited by monika.goel - 17 years ago