Interracial Marriage

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 14 years ago
I came across this article while surfing the web today. http://www.salon.com/wires/ap/us/2009/10/15/D9BBNOA03_us_interracial_rebuff/index.html?source=rss&aim=wires

Its about a Louisiana justice who denied an interracial couple marriage license because he believes interracial marriages are too difficult on the children.

Another interesting article here is about an NY public office candidate breaking racial barriers in his campaign - http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1009/28175.html

In 1967 Sidney Poitier and Katherine Hepburn played leads in the drama/comedy 'Guess Who's coming to Dinner' where they touched on race relations in the United States. In 2005 Ashton Kutcher and Bernie Mac starred together in 'Guess Who' showing that we have come a long way, but have not really broken down any barriers.

Even today interracial couples still stir heads and lead to raised eyebrows. Forget marriages or romances, interracial socialization often can also be considered taboo. Even though we want equality and desegregation, people automatically segregate themselves. There are the white kids, the black kids and asian kids in school. Even within our Indian community - people live in a foreign country for generations - yet many people freak out when their kids start socializing with a different race. Marriage with a different race is strictly forbidden.

Why is it that after so many years we have not genuinely been able to break the race barrier? Why is it that we speak of equality in everything else - but when it comes to close personal relationships - we feel segregation is the only way?
Edited by return_to_hades - 14 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
These day inter-racial marriages are pretty common but still many parents prefer otherwise so that there are less complications. But most important is that culture should be preserved no matter how they marry.

Originally posted by: Summer3

These day inter-racial marriages are pretty common but still many parents prefer otherwise so that there are less complications. But most important is that culture should be preserved no matter how they marry.

I think the biggest challenge in interracial marriage is the preserving of culture. Whose culture do we preserve? How do we balance our different cultures? I think the biggest apprehension to interracial marriage is not racism but the fear of losing culture. When you marry someone of a different race - the other person also has a culture they are proud of and want to preserve. It becomes a challenge to draw compromises. Even within the same race cultural or national differences are a challenge. French and Italian cultures, British and American cultures, South Indian and North Indian cultures are radically different.
Aren't all cultures speaking the same things through different language? Why cannot we not just leave cultural differences aside and focus on actual ethical issues?

I think the main problem occurs with children they have - what culture should he follow. I think a child should be taught about all different world culture, but asked to focus on the one their society follows. When they grow up, they'll decide it for themselves as to which culture they are more comfortable following.

Good that you created this topic, because I wanted to talk 'bout inter religious marriage - now I'm not going to make up a separate topic, but going to put my thoughts here. I think the biggest problem arises with inter religious marriage, not for religious prejudice, but mainly because people feels it to be a grave sin to marry someone who does not worship the God you do with the same name and same rituals that you do. Another problem arises is what religion they should teach their children.

So what's your opinion on this? If you do not support inter-religious marriages, why is it so? If you do, how do you think of changing the old perceptions regarding it?
Funny.. We were just discussing the Louisiana case in my class yesterday..😆😆..the justice needs to be removed.. 🤔

Inter-racial marriage is still a taboo in my famiily.. i dont think my mom would ever be able to accept me if I ever marry a black guy.. 😆😆😆
Summer3 thumbnail
Religious marriages. I think the common people emphasise too much on religious differences. We should treat all religions as one and that is what the schools, temples, churches and mosques should be teaching. All religions are our own. Sometimes it is all ego in trying to distinguish ourselves as being differnt from the others. Humans are such that even if all follow the same religion they will still start breaking up into smaller groups to set themselves apart from the rest. There should be greater emphasis on moral education and human values. Once a person has these qualities they will not pick a quarrel with others.
Summer3 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Meena1

Funny.. We were just discussing the Louisiana case in my class yesterday..😆😆..the justice needs to be removed.. 🤔

Inter-racial marriage is still a taboo in my famiily.. i dont think my mom would ever be able to accept me if I ever marry a black guy.. 😆😆😆

If the person being married to is an upright person and of good character he would be worth his weight in gold.
f the world, marry whoever you want :)
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

I think the biggest challenge in interracial marriage is the preserving of culture. Whose culture do we preserve? How do we balance our different cultures? I think the biggest apprehension to interracial marriage is not racism but the fear of losing culture. When you marry someone of a different race - the other person also has a culture they are proud of and want to preserve. It becomes a challenge to draw compromises. Even within the same race cultural or national differences are a challenge. French and Italian cultures, British and American cultures, South Indian and North Indian cultures are radically different.

Yeah, that's the main problem people have with interracial marriages. For the most part, both of the partners are proud of their culture/religion, and will want their children to also follow that culture, right? Imagine how difficult it must be on the poor kid if both his parents pressure him/her to follow their own culture. The child will feel alienated from his parents, because he will feel like he can't connect with them because of the different ideals each parent might have. Also, most divorces happen from interracial marriages, because many of the partners will realize after their marriage that they cannot live with the others' different cultural ideals. And if they have children, the children will also be affected by the divorce.

That's why I too do not support interracial marriages. Don't get me wrong. I will never condemn people who marry someone from another culture or religion, and neither will I badmouth them to others, because what they do with their life is their business and if they feel they can make their marriage live in the long run, then great for them, but I will not support them. My opinion is that it is everyone's duty to preserve their culture, and for the most part, it ain't gonna happen if you marry someone from another race or religion.

But I have no problem with being friends with people from another race or religion, because that way, you will get to know a lot about their culture and be able to respect them for it. But when it comes to marriage, I will only marry someone from my own culture, religion, language, and caste (Brahmin). Sorry, just my opinion/decision. My intent is not to offend someoen. My parents have always encouraged my friendships with other races and religions, because they know I'd never betray them by marrying someone from another race, so I also support friendships as long as they do not change into marriage.

Also, who ever said that just because someone doesn't support interracial marriage, they do not support equality?😕 Equality is looking at everyone as equals, and I do look at people from all cultures and races as my equals. Just because I prefer people from a culture to marry into their own culture does not mean I am looking down on other cultures or races. It is better for everyone in the long run if they simply marry into their own culture, but maintain strong friendships with different cultural or racial people.

Marriage is always a compromise. Two people will always have different backgrounds that they cherish and want to instill in their children. They will always have to mutually discuss on how they want to raise their children. When we add different religions, races, nationalities we make the backgrounds diverse and wider. Heck I have seen conflicts are when every bit of cultural and religious background is the same but they have differing political opinions or different class levels. Ultimately, it completely depends on the two individuals and their families on how many stark differences they feel they can compromise with.

I think when two people choose to marry despite being of different race, religion, nationality – they know they are entering into a compromise. One or both in the couple have already set their mind to forgo aspects of their background in order to make the relationship work. From my personal observations multiracial or multireligious children, do not face as much problems due to parents – but more due to other people in the family or society in general that tries to pull them in different directions.

For example biracial children express consistency in cultural messages instilled by their parents, but might be rejected by peers because they are not white enough, black enough, Asian enough etc.  Children raised in bireligious households are able to reconcile faith differences – but families or society makes them feel that their reconciliation is out of place. Parents raising kids may not care about cultural aspects, but in-laws tend to compete on which aspects to focus on.  Of course there is a risk of falling out and divorce due to irreconcilable differences. However, that is a choice two people and their families have to make.

Culture is not static. Throughout history culture has changed and evolved, it will continue to do so. As the information age makes the world smaller, cultures are already influencing each other and intermingling. It's the way the world was designed – to keep evolving. My family in general is Hindu Konkani Brahmin, but I have uncles and cousins who are Chinese, German, American and family/extended family includes Gujarati, Punjabi, Sikh, Muslim, Catholic – the whole shebang. Of course there are confusions and conflicts and growing pains – but every one of us is well adjusted. We all have strong personal identities. White looking people, Chinese looking people, Indian looking people – all one happy family. We consider that our family is a culture on its own.

Its actually the best thing when cultures come together. It's like when we make potstickers when friends get together. They are Asian. We'll make a batch of Kosher ones for the Jew, who gets to be an honorary Asian just because Israel happens to be in Asia. If I am feeling religulous, there will be a batch of beef free ones. And then of course the normal ones for the real Asian.

I think one can be against interracial/interreligious/intercaste marriages personally and avoid them. I think people can also expect to influence their immediate family to follow suit. People have the right to try and preserve their own culture. However, in general I do not think anyone has the right to oppose such marriages in society. It's a personal choice between two people. Conflicts for children is just a poor excuse to be prejudicial and prevent other people trying to overcome their difference. If we really cared about children's future how about requiring parents to have a certain IQ level or preventing skanks, addicts etc from having kids. Its not like Octuplet mom or the Gosselin's are model parents. On the other hand Obama, Jennifer Beals, Tiger Woods etc turned out perfectly fine. So are Shahrukhs kids and other mutts out there.

Funny thing is how so many people encourage marriage within the same race, nationality, religion, caste, class etc but not same gender. 😆