Worth the wait for Sharad Kelkar article

tsaian thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
Worth the wait for Sharad Kelkar

We haven't seen much of Sharad Kelkar since his popular show Saat Phere went off air. But we will now see the talented actor in Ekta Kapoor's Bairi Piya and hosting the new reality show, Pati Patni Aur Woh.

Do you think wait was worth it?

People have a lot of expectations from me. If I will something blindly, they would question it, so I decided to wait for some time and try something new. Luckily, I got the show I wanted to do. After playing a positive character for five years, I wanted to do something with grey shades or comedy or action. A few shows came my way but they were on similar lines. Suddenly they offered me the role in Bairi Piya; Ekta is an old friend and I have worked with Ashwini too, so there was no way to say no.

Is your character is similar to Dharmaraj of Bindini?

All Thakurs on TV look the same. Any show with a rural backdrop will look similar. Here also, I have not refused any of their suggestions except for grey hair. For me, the character is most important than looks.

Tell us about your character?

He is a businessman. He has no intention of harming anyone; he is also kind to his family. It is a complicated character.

What do you know about the subject? And do you think zamindari is relevant today?

People still believe in it. They don't trust bank loans because they think the bank may shut down, but a zamindar never runs away. Zamindars always offer lower interest rates than banks. I have read about this topic a lot, and the government's money never reaches the people completely. I'm from Gwalior and I have seen thakurs and zamindars there. The point behind a show like this is it will have an impact on people.

How do you manage both shows?

That is a secret! The concepts of both shows are quite different, as are the channels. Pati Patni Aur Woh was fun and not that difficult. Besides, we are all here to earn money, so it is fine.

What do you think about this trend of shows with social messages?

TRPs do matter and all these shows are high ratings. If people get sick of them, they will stop watching them and we will we have to change stories.

Are you ready for parenthood?

I have observed it closely during my stint on Pati Patni Aur Woh, and there's still time, may be next year or so. It is not easy to be a parent and not in my hands either.