divan thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago

This is not Keshu/Ketki ff, just some little snippets...the first two or three were written when the promos started...at the moment...thora inspiration thanda hogaya hai...😕 but who knows may be Keshu kuch aisa karega jisse inspiration hojayega...😆

"Ket…Ket…where the bloody hell are you?" Keshavbhai was looked mad…as if he was running late for his appointment…and scared the client walked away.  He looked as if someone was going to go to guillotine today.

Ketki came running up the winding marble staircase into the bedroom, holding the door and puffing, "What's wrong?  Why are you yelling?"

"Where is my cell phone? And those files I was looking at last night."

"mane shun khabar…I don't know…you know I don't touch your stuff…you are so damn touchy if we touch your stuff." Ketki yelled back.

Keshavbhai flopped on the bed and howled out, "Ket…you are so damn funny when you are mad.  I love it…maaza ave che…tane chidavani."

Ketki let a shriek out, "You…" and ran up to bed and went to grab her husband.  But he was too fast.  Before she knew it…he had her pinned down on the bed and was tickling her.  Letting shrieks out, "Stop it…please…Kesh………….Keshhhhhhhhhhhh…."

A knock on the door and the face of their niece popped in.  "Honestly kaka…playing pranks again.  Leave my poor kaki alone…bechari ne shun kam pajvon cho…"

"Good morning sweetheart.  You know my morning is not the same if I don't tease your kaki.  Now come here and give me a hug…your kaki doesn't have time for morning hugs anymore.  Budhi thayi gayi che."

Ketki sat up and glared at him.  "I am not old…you are…all those grey hair you hide by having your hair coloured."

Keshavbhai putting his arms around Ketki, "Well darling…I do that for you.  I don't want someone to look at your sexy self and say…and then look at my grey hair and paunch say…what a budha you are married to."

Ketki poked his protruding belly, "Stop experimenting in the kitchen than and stuffing those calorie rich creations of yours…than this belly will go down…even better…run up and down the staircase 50 times a day, that will keep you skinny like me."

Keshavbhai went to kiss his wife…only to be stopped by the cough from his neice.  "Kakaji…please wait until at least I am out of the room." And winking at Keshavbahi she ran out.

Ketki glared at him, "Honestly Kesh…grow up!"

Keshavbhai planting his lips on her firmly, mumble, "Never Ket."

XXXXXX

"Ket…Ket…quick get ready we are going out."  Keshavbhai barged into the kitchen, knocking over thalis that his wife had neatly stacked on corner to be put away.  The steel thalis rolled clatteringly over the floor.

Their housemaid Meera glared at her boss.  "Do you need chasma?  Shall I get you some from the store?  Everyday…you break something or damage something.  Every day same…rush…rush…no thandak."

Ketki giggled as she watched her husband being admonished by the maid.

Keshavbhai now glared back at his wife, miffed at her laughing.

"Kesh…I think Meera is right. I shall make an appointment for you to go and see an the optician." Ketki said with a serious face.

Keshavbhai arched his thick brows and scowled.  "Nothing wrong with my eyes. You women don't know how to put things.  Why put them where people will walk?"

Meera now shook her hand holding the belan, "You…can't see.  Don't blame me or madam.  Men!"

Ketki burst out laughing and then hastily pushed her husband out of the kitchen before he started Maha Bharat with their maid.

"Ket…get rid of her…I hate her…I don't like her."

"Come one Kesh…you know I can't…it's hard to get good maid now days."

"Good!" Keshavbhai let out a loud hiss of a breath.  "She is terrible.  Someone else in her place wouldn't even dare look at me…but she…Kaykayi…mouths back at me."

Ketki rubbed her hand on her husband's back.  "Kesh…calm down.  Don't want your BP shooting up.  Now where are we going?  I don't remember you telling me anything about going anywhere."

Keshavbhai pulled out two tickets, "Movie…Love Aaj Kal.  Remember you said you wanted to go and see Saif and Deepika."

Ketki stopped and put her hands on hips and gave her husband a look.  "I don't remember saying I wanted to see Deepika.  Why would I want to see Deepika?"

Keshavbhai's face coloured, "Err…I am sure I remember you saying that."  He mumbled.

"Hmm…I think I will give the tickets away to Meera.  I don't want to see the movie now."

Keshavbhai's mouth fell open.  "What?"  He waved the tickets frantically.  "Do you know how long I had to

XXXXX

Keshavbhai walked into him, dropping his briefcase in the study and discarding his jacket.  He sniffed the air and smiled…his wife seemed to have been.  His mouth salivated and his mind wandered, imagining exotic food dishes that must be sitting somewhere in the kitchen.  He whistled softly as he made his way towards the kitchen. 

"Ket…did you make shiroo(halwa for the non-gujju)"  Keshavbhai sniffed loudly, "where is it?  Let me try some." He said, his tongue ozzing with saliva just at the thought of savouring a spoonful of ghee laden shiroo that his wife excelled in making. 

Ket turned towards her husband, putting the spoon she was holding down.  "I did not make shiroo…you know Kettu doesn't like shiroo.  I made his favourite sev kheer." 

Keshavbhai grinning, "Good…I will have a bowl then.  When are they coming?  How come you didn't tell me?  Nobody tells me anything in this house...you could have phoned Ket." 

Ketki sighed, "You know…may be you should learn to check your voicemail once in a while.  You go around carrying latest gadget in your pocket…paan vaparta toh avadtu nathi." 

Keshavbhai stuck his hand in his pant pocket and took it out empty.  "I must be in my jacket." He said in a childish voice.  "Ket you know I am busy always and have told you so many times to leave message with Sara…she would never fail to tell me."

Ketki wiped her hands on a towel.  "Yes..I know Sara is efficient, but you have cell phone too, which you can learn to use properly."

"Never mind…let me try the kheer Ket…I am hungry."  Keshavbhai said eyeing the pot sitting on the counter.

"No Kesh…you have to wait till dinner.  You know Dr Sam has told to you watch your sugar intake."  Ketki pushed her husband towards the door.  "Go and change.  The boys should be here soon.  I still have some work to do in the kitchen."

Keshavbhai arched his brow, "Where is that witch…Meera?  Don't tell me she made some excuse again to take a day off." 

Ketki pulled a face at her husband, "Kesh…what is wrong with you?  Meera has gone to the shop for me.  Poor thing has been working non-stop, getting the rooms ready, cleaning, dusting and polishing."

"Haan…I knew it.  Probably told you we don't have this and that…so she could get away."  Keshavbhai retorted gleefully. 

"tch..magaz ma shuun bhareloon che...Go upstairs and freshen up instead of meddling in the kitchen."  Ketki tried to shoo her husband out of the kitchen.
Keshavbhai pulled his wife by the arm.  "Ket come on up for a little while.  Help me find something to wear.  I promise I will help you in the kitchen." 

Ketki sighed deeply and untucked her pallu, "Kesh…just put something on.  It's only the kids." 

"No…it's not the kids any more.  They come with their wives…I have to be decent.  Don't want my boys to be embarrassed."

Ketki giggled, "Then you better control your eating or else you will have very hard time controlling your belching after…" patting Keshav's slight paunch, "over stuffing tummy." 

"Hmph…do you have to so cruel?  Why do you make such tasty treats all at the same time?  You never cook treats for me anymore?" 

Ketki opened the door of their bedroom, "Haan…for a good reason.  We have to watch our health Kesh…we are not young any more."

Keshavbhai stripped off his shirt and flexed his arm, "Who says I am not young?  I can still beat the boys in the arm wrestling?" 

Ketki rolled her eyes as she opened the wardrobe and pulled out cotton khameez for him.  "Kesh…stop kidding yourself.  Now go and quickly have a shower and wear these clothes." 

Keshavbhai eyed his wife for a moment.  He quickly scooped her up in his arms and strode towards the bathroom, disregarding Ketki's protest to be let down. 

"Oh shut up Ket…I just need someone to scrub my back," Keshavbhai, kicked the bathroom door shut before setting his wife down. 

XXXXX

"Hi dad!"  Mehul plopped himself beside his father.

"huh…Mehul…" Keshavbhai mumbled, jolted out of dozing. 

"Sleeping again dad?  I guess old age is catching up with you."  Mehul teased his father.

Keshavbhai looked at his son, "Old…who is old.  Just because you are as tall as me, doesn't mean I have gone old.  I told your maa that I can still beat you two boys."

Mehul laughed with his head thrown back, "Right dad.  Dream on. I am hitting gym at five days per week.  Do you even use the treadmill in the house?"

Keshavbhai smirked, "Gym…I don't need to lift dumbbells to keep strong." Winking, "Lifting your maa around is enough exercising."

Mehul rolled his eyes, "Honestly dad.  Be serious…you should be concerned for your health.  If something happens to you…then what?"

Keshavbhai patted Mehel's arm, "You and Ketan are here…what I have to worry about?  You will take care of your maa."

"Dad!  Seriously…you are not expecting us to drop everything and come and look after you.  We have only just started our career."

"Mehul! Don't take it so seriously…I never said I expected you to babysit us…but I am sure you guys would help out when needed."  Keshavbhai couldn't help but note fleeting flash of annoyance pass through his son's face.

"Anyway dad…forget it.  I have a question for you…investing.  I think you should think of investing some money in a stocks and bonds.  You know everyone now is thinking of future, instead of money sitting in bank and earning nothing…why not invest and make more money."

"Nah…I have more than enough money to retire.  Business is steady, have been tucking money away in retirement fund.  I think I am ok."  Keshavbhai assured his son.

"Par…dad…think of mom.  What if something happens to you?  Mom has no skills to go out and work." Mehul persisted.

"Work?  Why would she need to?  Told you…it is all taken care of."  Keshavbhai stressed loudly.

"What are you two arguing about now…baap…beta?"  Ketki came up to where Keshavbahi and Mehul were sitting.

"Nothing Ket.  Mehul was trying to persuade me to invest some money…you know for a nursing home for us…when we get too old." Keshavbhai joked.

Mehul rolled his eyes.  "Honestly mom…dad is never takes anything seriously.  I never said anything of the sort."

"You did…you said I should worry about getting old."

"Haan Kesh…Mehul is right.  I heard that chacha next door had to sell his cars and some jewellery to pay some medical bills."

"I know…I was talking to him.  He borrowed most of his savings to his to start a business…and his son…lost it all.  I told chacha to come and see me, if he needs money."

"Dad…you did not.  You can't go around helping everyone."  Mehul said angrily.

"shhhh..." Ketki gave Mehul a warning look.  "Mehul…how many times do I tell you…you are not going to get hurt by helping someone in need."

"yeah mom…but what about when your turn comes.  Are they going to be able to help you back?" Mehul retorted sharply.

"That is not why we help.  God has been good to us…and we are in a fortunate position to help others and we like to do so."  Ketki replied in firm voice.

Mehul shook his head as he looked at his parents, his young mind wondering what other stupid things his parents indulged in.

XXXXX

Jhule Jhulawoon

Keshavbhai walked up and down on the patio in front of his favourite place the jhula….It was the first thing he had purchased afer their marriage and had towed it around to every kholi, flats and houses he had occupied, that is until he had this house built and given it a permanent place.  And every night he and Ketki would sit in it and talk about their day, problems or just chat.  Of course there were nights where Ketki was occupied with the kids or his mother or something and then he would pace just like he was doing now, until Ketki made an appearance.

He stopped when he heard the French doors open and saw Ketki framed against the light of the room, in her familiar flowing kaftan, her hair loose, looking just as pretty without the heavy jewellery and sari she favoured to wear sometimes.  Clutching the paan box, Ketki made her way towards the jhula.  She gave her husband a look, which he understood straightaway…don't complain about her being late.

Keshavbhai sat down on the jhula, pulling Ketki down.  "Chalo…give me my paan at least."

Ketki giggled like a schoolgirl, "I am thinking…you should give this habit up Kesh…I mean…it's not good for your teeth."

Keshavbhai opening his mouth so Ketki could put the pan in, smiled, "Ket…how many bad habits do I have.  You know I love my paan in the evening…and I do scrub my teeth squeaky clean afterwards…ek toh che bad habit."

Ketki smiled and sat back.  "Haan ekaj kharbi che."  Then getting a little exicted, "Sambhlo…I have to give you good news."

Keshavbhai putting his arm across her shoulder, "What Ket?  You look happy…whatever it is."

Ketki nodded, "Yes…you will be too…Mehul and Kritika are going to be parents…Kritika is pregnant."

Keshavbhai looked thoughtful, "So soon…they haven't even had a first wedding anniversary."

Ketki gave a puzzled look, "Toh shun…I mean we had Mehul just after a year of our marriage."

Keshavbhai sighed, "I know Ket…but our time was different.  Now days I thought kids liked to enjoy themselves a little bit first, you know have holidays, go out, spend time each with each other…I thought they don't like to tie themselves down with responsibilities."

Ketki leaned her head on Keshavbhai's shoulder, "Everyone is not like that Kesh…just think a little Mehul running around in our house.  Such a cute boy he was when he was small.  And look at him now…all grown up and going to be father himself."

Keshavbhai sighed again, "Ha…divash jaata vaar nathi lagti.  Congratulations Ket…on becoming a grandma…"

Ket squeezed Keshavbhai's hand, "You too…imagine us grandparents, baa ane bapa.  Baa is so happy…saying she never thought she would live long enough to play with her pota's pota."

Keshavbhai smiled in the dark, "Ket…do you think we will live that long…to see Mehul's kid get married and then…see his kid."

Ketki folded her hands in prayer, "It's all in God's hand.  Never know…what will happen tomorrow.  Tonight we will fall asleep but we don't' know if we will see the sunrise tomorrow."

Keshavbhai pulled Ketki closer to him, "Ket…don't speak like that…I never want to leave you…ever."

Ketki snuggled closer to him, "Oh Kesh…that is so sweet ."

XXXXX

A ladoo or Two....

"Keshu...O..Keshu dikra..." Baa shouted as she hurried out of the kitchen.

Keshavbhai stepped outside of his bedroom and looked down at his mother standing on the main floor.

"Baa...shun che?" Keshavbhai asked, as he fastened his cufflinks.

Baa started climbing the steps, "Jarak ubho re...hoon avvon chu uppar."

Keshavbhai waited patiently as his mother made her way up.  With a grin now plastered on her face, Baa held one of her palm out, revealing golden ladwa.  "chakhi jono..."(chakhi = taste)

With saliva overflowing on his tongue, Keshavbhai picked one up, inhaling the fresh nutty taste of the ladwa.  He bit into it and savoured the taste, his head automatically nodding, "Sarash che..." (sarash = good) and then looking below, "Ketki..."

Baa shook her head negativley, "shhhh...nathi khabar...."(doesn't know)

Keshavbhai grinned, taking the other ladoo from his mother's hand.  "Thank you baa...no one makes ladwa like you."  Baa smiled happily watching her son munching on the ladoo.

"Baa..." familiar voice of Ketki called out.  Baa put a finger to her lips, "Avee...Ketki..."  and she hurried towards the stairs.  Ketki stood wiping her hand with a towel.  "Ladwa dabba ma muki deedha..."put the ladoos in the tin"

Baa huffing a little as she came to a stop, "ek thali rehwa deedha ne...Ganpatiji ni prasad mate."(did you leave one plateful to offer as prasad?"?

"haan..."  Ketki replied as she walked back into the kitchen.

Picking up a breakfast tray, she walked upstairs towards her bedroom.  "Kesh..." she called as she nudged the door open.  Keshavbhai looked at her as he combed his hair.

"i was coming downstairs Ket...you didn't have to bring it up."  He said as he took the tray from her and set it on the small table in their room.

Ketki...taking out clothes smiled, "I know...but I am going to shower again.  I smell of frying..."

Keshavbhai smiled to himself, "Frying?"

Ketki pulling off her sari, "Yes, we made ladwa for Ganesh Chaturthi, twenty pounds of them."

Keshavbhai arched his brow, "Twenty pounds!"

Ketki nodded, "Yes...we need that much to give out.  There is hardly any left for us."

"Good...you don't let me eat them anyway..." and then mimicking, "diabetes vadhi jaye..."(increases your diabetes)

Ketki stopped by the bathroom door and gave him a steely look, "I know...you have already eaten some...Baa thinks I don't know...but I saw her sneaking out of the kitchen with some in her hand."

Keshavbhai grinned, "Poor baa...don't tell her Ket...let her think she can get away from being naughty."

Ketki laughed, "Your mother gets away with a lot of naughty things Kesh...when the kids were small...it was them...now the kids are grown up...she is back to spoiling you."

XXXXX

Why?

"Keshu…Keshu…uff…you are here all the time and I am searching the whole house for you."  Ketki grumbled as she walked towards the jhula.

"Keshu…" 

Keshavbhai did not turn around, lost in his thoughts he did not hear Ketki approaching him or her moaning.  Ketki put her hand on his shoulder.  Keshavbhai jerked out of his thoughts and looked at his wife and then away again. 

Perturbed by his behaviour, Ketki softened, "What wrong Keshu?  Why do you look so lost?"   

Keshavbhai finally turned and faced her, "Madamkaka…" he said in an emotionally charged voice, a tear rolling hurriedly down his cheek.   

Ketki grabbed his hand, "I understand Keshu…but we just have to pray that he comes of the coma…" she raised her hand wiped the wet trail down his cheek.  "Come on…have you eaten or not?  I waited for you…I just went to upstairs...to put some stuff away."

"I don't want to eat…how can I eat when Madankaka is lying in coma.  Ket…Ket…how can his son do this to him…to say Madamkaka is dead.  Why did he lie Ket?  Why?" 

Ketki squeezed his hand, "I don't Keshu…I don't know.  But it happens…children don't like parents interfering in their lives."

Keshavbhai gave her a bewildering stare, "Is that what will happen to us?  We have tried to teach the boys to be good…what is right and what is wrong…how to respect the elder?  You can't tell me Ket…that they will forget all that!" 

Ketki wrapped her arm across his back in soothing caress, "No Keshu…I am not saying that, our children will not be like that.  All I am saying is may be Madankaka and Kastaub had some disagreement…" 

Keshavbhai cut her off ferociously, "So What!  You don't throw your father out and declare to the world that he is dead!  I will not leave alone Ket…I will not leave Kastaub alone…I will ruin him."  Ketki felt Keshavbhai's whole body shake with anger that he was feeling.  She sighed deep.  Madankaka had been one of the person that Keshavbhai had looked up to when he was starting out in business. 

"Calm down Keshu…don't stress yourself out…else you will get sick.  Please come…come to bed.  Tomorrow you can talk with Aatishbhai and figure out a plan to help Madankaka." 

Keshavbhai released the grip from the jhula, he looked at his palms, the red welts that stood out where his skin had dug hard into ornamental metal design.  Ketki looked at the welts and blew gently on it.

XXXXX

Sunday Lunch

"Manda.....Manda...kuthe ahes tu? Aplyala ushir hoto ahe  (Manda…Manda…where are you?  We are late " Sachin shouted coming out of the bedroom, buttoning up his cotton kurta. 

"Oh!Tu ithe ahes...kay karte ahes? (OH!  There you are…what are you doing?)" Sachin asked poking his head over her shoulders."

Manda slapped Sachin's hand lightly as he dipped a finger into a bowl full of lemon pickles. 

"sachin ...tula kitida sangilta asa karat jau nakos?  (Sachin…How many times do I have to tell you not to do that?)" Manda grumbled as she wiped her hands on a rag to clean up the stains. 

Sachin licking his finger and winking at Manda "But I can't resist it…"   

Manda twisted a cap on the small bottle and put it in a small bag.  "mi khaas Baa sathi kele...chal jau ya. (I made it especially for Baa…Lets go then.)"  She eyed her husband who was eyeing the pickle bowl again. 

Sachin sighed and took hold of Manda's hand, "chal....Waquaar waat pahat asel. Chalo…(Waquaar must be waiting outside)." 

XXXXX

Waquaar picked up a generous dollop of hair gel and rubbed in through his hair.  Jannat came out of the bathroom and looked at him. 

"Come on sahib…you are looking s**y as is…no need to pull your hair out."  She said with laughter as Waquaar used his fingertips to style the hair. 

Waquaar glared at his wife through the mirror.  "It is ok that you took an hour to get ready and I take five minutes extra and you grumble."

Jannat fixing her pallu on top of her head.  "Five minutes…I have been ready for last half an hour.  Now lets go…Sachin and Manda…we have to pick them up." 

Downstairs Waquaar picked up the keys of his car.  Jannat picked up a basket of fresh flowers.  Waquaar hummed the tune of the song "Bahut Khubsoorat…" as he watched his beautiful wife standing holding the flowers.  Jannat rolled her eyes and pushed towards the door. 

Upstairs their daughter-in-law watched them and then pulled a face.  "Look at them…behaving like teenagers."   She was upset, as Jannat her mother-in-law did not even ask her what plans she had as they ran off to their weekly rendezvous at the Sanghavi mansion.

XXXXX

Rasiliben pinned her hair up in a bun at the nape of her neck and then applied the powdered kumkum she favoured in a dot between her brows.  She stood back and surveyed herself in the mirror, fussing with the pallu.    Aatish leaned against the doorframe and watched her.  After few moments he coughed.  Rasili looked at him with her eyebrows pinched together. "Shun che? (What do you want?)" 

Aatish kept his face straight and just pointed at the watch.  Rasili threw her hands up in the air  , "Mane shun kaam batahvo cho…peli tamari dikri ready che ke nahin ajovo ne. (Why are showing me the watch, why don't you find out if your daughters are ready or not?)"

Aatish smirked, "Tari wait kare che mari dikriyon.(My daughters are waiting for you.)" And then arching his brow as was his habit.  "Really Rasili…you are too much.  Why do you have to fuss so much on getting ready/" 

"Aree angrezi mah bak bak ni karo…(don't speak in English) Ek diwas jarak time lagadu sari peherwama ane tamane na game(One day I take time putting sari on and you don't like it)"

Aatish grabbed her hand, "Chal ave..(Come on…)" 

Urji looked up from the magazine.  "Mamma…nice sari…"     Rasili nodded her head sideways, her eyes smiling up, "Thank you beta…aa tara baap ne toh kayin divash compliment devanu toh avareni…upar thi khijaya kare. (Thank you beta, your father never pays me any compliment, instead he just shouts.)" 

Nandini giggled, "Mummy, that is papa's way of showing how much he loves you." 

Aatish face broke into a smile and he hugged Nandini sideway,    "Thanks Nandi…at least you understand me.  Now come on…Baa and Keshu will be waiting."

Nandi ran towards the kitchen, "Just one minute papa…the rasmalai…we can't forget that…otherwise Keshukaka will make me run out to get them."

Nandini returned with the clay containers holding the rasmalai that she had put in fridge.  "Chalo…chalo…"

They piled up in the white Durango,  Nandi asking her mother to sit in the back as Rasili and Aatish invariably ended up arguing about something always.

XXXXX

Nothing Better To Do...

The housemaid giggled as she watched the master of the house walk into the kitchen, his hands in the pockets of his kurta and feet bare of chapals.  He winked at her as he made a beeline for his wife, standing by the stove stirring the pot.

"Ahhh…something smells good!" he declared loudly.  The housemaid burst into laughter and ran out of the kitchen.

Ketki turned around and gave a mean look at her husband, "Kesh…stop doing that…and that too in front of the staff.  Thodeek toh sharam rakho(feel some embarrassment)"

Keshavbhai only grinned back.  "Maru ghar che…maru rasodu che…mari baiyari che…pachi sharam kevi…(My house…my kitchen…my wife…why do I have to be embarassased)"

"Haat…tamane shun kevu(what's the point of telling you anything)"  Ketki returned her attention back to the stove.

Getting annoyed a bit, Keshavbhai turned the stove off and grabbed his wife by her arm.  "Chal Ket…rehavade…mari saathe bes thori vaar.(Come Ket…leave it…come and sit down with me for a little while.)"   Ket rolled her eyes, there was no point arguing when her husband got into one of these mood.

There was only one place he would take her to…the jhula.  The jhula was where Keshavbhai liked to sit alone with her…it was the only place where no one would disturb him either unless it was really really important.

(no more gujju dialogue…too much work)
Ketki made herself comfortable on the jhula and then smirked at her husband, "OK…out with it…what do you want to talk about?"

Keshavbhai pulled a face, "Why do always think I want something?"

Ketki crossed her arms, "Because I know you very well…you drag me out of the kitchen in the middle of the day."

"Ok…you are right.  Listen…" Keshavbahi got excited, his eyes lit up at whatever thoughts were crossing his mind.  "I think we need a mini break…I want to take you away...just the two of us."

Ket kept her face straight just to annoy her husband, "And…" her finely plucked brow rose up.

"Ket…aren't you a little bit excited.  Khandala…remember how we used to go there whenever we had a chance."

"Yes…but we used to go…everybody.  Remember Aatish's car would be full, all of us squeezing in."

"Haan baby…you are right…but now the kids are grown up.  They go on their own holiday minus us.  So I don't feel guilty if I take you away without them."  Keshavbhai said with a flourish, his hands moving a little excited.  "Please…haan kardo."

Ketki smiled slowly, "Haan…now can I get back to my kitchen."

"Bh…" Keshavbhai stopped at the look that crossed his wife's face.  Like a little boy caught doing something naughty he peeked through one eye.  "Sorry…you can go back to the kitchen."  But before Ketki could get up, Keshavbhai pulled her in a hug and kissed the corner of her mouth.  "Kesh…" Ketki almost screamed.  "Someone will see…"

"So…I am only kissing my wife." Keshavbhai said with a smug smile on his face.

XXXXX

Khadala

Ketki giggled like a schoolgirl as Keshavbhai put on his dark shades.  He turned and grinned at her, "What do you think?" he asked, wanting her approval whenever he bought something new for himself. 

"You look very hip and cool.  But you know they hide your beautiful eyes…and now I want be able to see them." 

Keshavbhai took his shades off and brought his face closer to her, his soft brown eyes peering into her dark ones.  "Tell me Ket…what am I thinking right now." 

Ket found her breath caught in throat as she felt his eyes drawing hers into his shimmering brown pools.  "I…You…love…me." 

Keshavbhai pulled away and smiled with satisfaction at the way he just made his wife lose thoughts.  Ket slumped back on the car seat and took a deep breath.  The weekend had not even started, the car was still in the portico of their home and her husband was already causing havoc with her mind.

The car engine roared into life, Keshavbhai drove the black Mercedes SL roadster out onto the street.

It took some time to manoeuvre out of the Mumbai traffic and onto the highway leading south towards Pune and Khandala.  Ketki looked at her husband, his eyes once again behind the dark shades as he concentrated on the road. 

XXXXX

Two hours later the car pulled up in front of a small cottage on the hillside.  Tall green trees surrounded the red brick bungalow with small windows covered with colourful curtains.

"This is where we are staying?" Ket asked in surprise.

"Yes…not staying in those damn overcrowded restaurant any more…I thought a quiet, cosy place would be nice for a change."  Keshavbhai replied, taking his shades off.  "What do you think?  Do you like it?" 

Ketki gave a dubious smile, "Lets go inside and check it out…then I will tell you if I like or not."

Keshavbhai pulled out a small envelope and took a key out and opened the door and let Ketki step in.  A tiny foyer led to a small sitting room with floral sofas and chairs.  On the other side of the room was a small dining area  with a door leading to neat kitchen.  Ketki opened the cupboard to find the shelves full of food items and plates, glasses and bowls.  The fridge too was packed full with milk, vegetables, fruits and other items.  She turned around and smiled.  "I guess you thought of everything.  It's perfect  Kesh…how about a cup of tea?"

Keshavbhai wrapped his arms around her and kissed her cheek, "I thought you never ask.  A cup of tea would be lovely…I will go and put our bags in the bedroom and change out of these clothes."   

XXXXX

They took the tea out into the garden and sat on the wicker chairs set out in the small garden.  Ketki breathed in the fragrant air, "How did you find this place Kesh?" she asked.

Taking a sip of tea, Keshavbhai stretched his legs in front of him.  "I just called up the travel agent and told him what I wanted…and few hours later he sent me a files with photos etc and I really liked it so told him go ahead and book it for us."  They sat relaxed just talking quietly.  After some time Ketki looked at her watch, "What do you want to eat Kesh?  I should start now before it get late."

"Anything Ket…something light I guess.  I don't want you to spend too long in the kitchen.  I thought we could go for a walk before the sun sets." 

"I will be done long before that.  Let me go and see what I can whip up easily."

An hour later Ket returned to the garden to find Keshavbhai had fallen asleep.  She smiled and watched him.  Arms crossed, his head resting against frame of the chair, her husband was sound asleep.   From inside bag she pulled out the shawl she had packed and went back to where Keshavbhai was sleeping and put it around him.  With the sun setting, the air was losing some of the heat.  Ketki sat down in the chair next to him, her knees pulled up, watching her sleeping husband. 

Half an hour later Keshavbhai stirred in his sleep and opened his eyes. In the dull light of dusk he saw his wife's smiling face.  He sat up straight, "Oh no…I fell asleep and you let me snooze." He said grumpily.  Ket reached over and pushed back the lock of hair fallen across his face.  "Haan…you were sleeping like a baby…I didn't have a heart to wake you up."

"But I wanted to go for a walk…" he moaned. 

Ket arched her brow, laughter bubbling around her lips, "We still can…do you want to eat first or go for a walk."

Keshavbhai sighed.  "I guess we should eat…else it will get cold."

Ket stood up and held her hand out, "Chalo..."

Keshavbhai stood up and linked his hand in her and they walked back inside the cottage together. 

XXXXX

Little Shopping Spree

Keshavbhai stopped the car to the side of the road and smiled at his wife.  "Come on I want to show you something."

Ketki looked at the deserted landscape and wondered what could possibly be there to see beside the looming hills in the distance.  As they walked over the lush green grass which had sprouted from a recent rainfall, he put his arm across his wife's shoulder.  At some length he stopped and looked at her with mischievous smile, "Well…what do you think?  Do you like it?"

"Like what Kesh?  There is nothing her but grass."  Ketki replied tersely.

"Oh but there will be…soon."  Keshavbhai said with a mysterious smile.

"What are you up to Keshav Sanghavi?" Kekti demanded in a no nonsense voice.

The laughter from Keshavbhai rang out in the air.  "I love the look on face Ket…"

Ketki gave him an icy stare.

"What!"    ;DKeshavbhai grinned, "This is going to be ours Ket…I am buying it for Baa and the kids."

Ketki looked puzzled, "But Kesh…out here…in the wilderness…why?" 

Keshavbhai put both his hands on Ketki's shoulder, "Because Ket…I like coming here.  Look at the hills behind us…this place will soon build up, but before that at least we can come here as a family for getaways.  I am going to build a huge house…big enough for us and Aatish, Rasik and Waquaar can also stay with us."

Ketki couldn't help her eyes from tearing up.  "Oh…sounds such a great idea Kesh.  I can't wait to see Baa and kids place when we tell her." 

Keshavbhai stole a quick kiss before he spoke again.  "I have to ask you for something?"

"What?"

"I am thinking of making the property in the name of the boys.  I mean we don't need anything anymore…so I want to start doing things for the boys."  Keshavbhai said softly, his voice become a little too emotional.'

"You know…why I love you.  It's a lovely thought Kesh…and you know…you don't have to ask."  Ketki said with tears rolling out of the corner of her eyes.

Keshavbhai face instantly lit up, "Ok…it's settled, I am buying this land for the boys, all 100 acres of it.  And we will sit down together and plan the house…yes I want Kritika and Urvasi to tell me what they would like.  After all they will be the new mistresses of the house." 

"I think…you better not say that in front of Ketu…he likes to think he is the boss around Urvasi."

"Maloom hai…Don't know where he got the hot temper from.  He needs to treat Urvasi as his equal…or he will end up losing her.  I don't like to think that my sons are abusing their wives.  I don't like men who ill treat women Ket…you know that.  I saw too much of that when I was small in the village.  But we gave our boys education and showed them how we respect Baa, Rasili, Manda and Jannatbhabhi and the women that work for us.  And I hate when I hear Ketu shouting at Urvasi sometimes." 

Ketki squeezed his arm, "He will Kesh…he is still young…needs to live life a bit.  Needs to experience things…"

"Ok…enough of this…come on lets go and celebrate.  I feel like a dinner and dancing is the order for this evening Ket…"  Keshavbhai walked towards the car, almost dragging Ket with him as he took long strides. 

As Ketki slumped in the car seat, she took deep breaths. "Honestly Kesh…you could walk a bit slow…I have to almost run to keep up with you when you so fast."

Keshavbhai slipped on his shades and grinned at his wife.  "We have to work up a little energy you know…we have a busy evening ahead of us." 

Ketki swatted at his arm, "Honestly Kesh…you are too much sometimes."

XXXXX

Celebrating...

Pehli Nazar Mein
Kaise Jaado Kar Diya
Tera Ban Baita Hai
Mera Jiya
Jaane Kya Hoga
Kya Hoga Kya Pata
Is Pal Ko Milke
Aa Jee Le Zara

Mein Hoon Yahan
Tu Hai Yahan
Meri Bahon Mein Aa
Aa Bhi Ja
O Jaan-E-Jaan
Dono Jahan
Meri Bahon Mein Aa
Bhool Ja Aa

"Stop it Kesh…we are not alone!" Ket whispered in Keshavbhai's ears.  She tried to move to make him drop his hand down, only to find that he had hooked his finger in the flimsy material of her blouse. She heard him chuckle but dared not to look at him.  Once again she felt his finger move along the beaded edge of her blouse.  She shuddered as his skin grazed her almost bare back and prayed no one was watching.

"Relax Ket…" Keshavbhai whispered as he smoothly maneuvered his wife on the dance floor.  "I am enjoying dancing after such a long while.  And am feeling very romantic so don't be a spoilsport…see I can see some of the women eyeing you with jealousy…they are wishing their husbands were behaving a little besharmi with them."

Ket gave a silent groan and mumbled, "You are impossible."

Keshavbhai pulled her little close, resting his cheek against hers, "Impossible hoon…but in your arms Ket…anything becomes possible."  Ket felt her cheeks burn and she felt his soft laughter.

It was very late when they left the restaurant.  Ketki pulled her shawl closer around her as she felt the chilly air hit her exposed skin.  It did not take them long to reach the cottage.  The moon high up in the sky cast it's milky glow on the cottage.  "Ket lets sit out for a bit in the garden, it's such a beautiful night…and" making a baby face, "I wouldn't mind a cup of coffee."  Ket dropped the shawl on the sofa.  "OK…why don't you change and take a blanket with you.  I know it's nice but it is a bit chilly."

Keshavbhai changed out of his suit and into comfortable cotton kurta pyjama and picking up a blanket from the bed, took it with him outside into the garden.  A few minutes later Ketki came carrying a mug of coffee for him.  She set it on the table and sat down in a chair, curling up her feet under her.  Keshavbhai pulled his chair closer and opened up the blanket and wrapped it around them.  He took hold of her hand and smiled, "Warm enough now."

Ketki just smiled and nodded her hand.  They sat in blissful silence, Keshavbhai sipping his warm coffee and giving satisfied sighs.  After some time he felt Ketki's head drooping down and resting against his shoulder.  Kehavbhai set his cup of coffee down and stared at her face…he never grew tired of staring at his wife's strong yet soft features, from deep set eyes to generous lips to dimples that formed in her cheeks when she smiled.  Pulling the blanket off, Keshavbhai lifted Ketki up, only to find her openher eyes and protesting loudly, "Put me down Kesh…I can walk."

Kesh stopped and glared at her, "I know you can walk…but since you fell asleep and I already have you in my arms…at least let me finish what I want to do."  Ignoring her protests, Keshavbhai carried into the bedroom and set her down on bed and then proceeded to remove bangles from her arms, "I don't like so many of these on your hand when we are in bed…"  When he had just left few on her wrist , he proceeded to remove the heavy jewellery she favoured to wear and finally pulling her pins out of her buns and letting her hair tumble around her face.

"Now don't move and don't fall asleep," he said got up, "I am just going to make sure the doors are closed."

Ketki laid down on the pillow and made herself comfortable, her sleep chased away now.  It had been an exhausting day, first Kesh taking her to see the land and then the dinner out.  Tomorrow they would leave this small cosy cottage and return back home.  She felt a bit whimsical about leaving the cottage…even though they had only been here for a short time…it too felt like home, but then as long as Kesh was with her…anywhere felt home.

XXXXX

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

stranger2rose thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 14 years ago
very sweet and refreashing scenes