A Walk through the Woods.... A short story

skeptical thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago

A walk through the woods.

She came to stay in this sweet little guest house at the edge of the woods.  There were mountains all around and the air was wonderfully crisp and fresh.  She had come here solely for her convalescing aunt who needed some good change.   It was a tiny little hamlet with cottages scattered about. 

She made her aunt comfortable and went to look for the caretaker.

"Could we have some tea, please?"

"Yes, I was just about to bring it for you along with some snacks.  You must be hungry after the journey.  Just give me a second."

"Oh thank you."

She went to the window to see the countryside.  It looked so beautiful.  A carpet of grass with floral designs! She had never seen so many tiny red, violet and yellow flowers.  She smiled.  The caretaker entered with the tray.  The aroma of hot samosas and sandwiches stirred a rumbling in her stomach and her mouth began to water instantly.  She went to help.

"It's so lovely outside !"

"Ha ha…..you town dwellers always think so and I find it very amusing."

"It's the truth, you know.  While my aunt rests, I would like to go and look around, but…."

"Oh do go, Seema …..I shall be okay here."

"Yes bibiji do go.  My wife and I are here if Kakiji needs anything."

"Well I won't be going for long or too far."

"You will see lots of harmless animals.  Please be careful, they are protected."

"Protected?  How come?  By who?"

"By the Good Lord, of course.  Make sure you return before it's dark.  Don't go into the forest then."

"Why? Are the woods haunted?"

Bhola ji just shook his head and remained silent.

"You can see we are a small community here and if you get lost, it would be difficult to search you out."

"Seema, please don't do anything foolish and return while it's bright."

"Yes, I promise."

She took her little dog, Pinto with her.  He merrily ran ahead and barked at some small mole or badger hiding behind the bush.  She was in a trance looking at so many flowers.  The sun was still up and the rays pushed their way through the thick foliage. 

"Pinto……come here," she whistled.  He came scampering on his tiny feet. 

They walked together and entered the woods.  She could hear the flow of water.  Was it a spring or a stream?  She stepped carefully over the stones to come to the clearing.  What a pretty sight!  The trees created a canopy beneath which a little river flowed.  And then she saw the golden swans.  A flock of them white as snow!  She stared at them totally fascinated.  She moved forward with her hands extended hoping that they would come to her.  They flapped their large wings and slowly lifted themselves up.  Pinto stood silently watching the scene.  He didn't even bark!  The swans flew away and with them the sun seemed to fade away. 

Seema knew it was time to return but the waft of fragrance stopped her.  She saw the shrubs of white lilies growing up the slope.  Should she quickly go and pluck a few?  She loved lilies.  She started forward when she heard Pinto barking at something along the path.

"Pinto," she called. "Come here at once."

But Pinto started moving forward.  Before he could go any further, Seema caught up with him and picked him up.

"No, you naughty doggy!" she said.  "Come on, let's go home."

She started to leave but then again turned and looked at those lilies longingly.  Should she try and go to the flowers?  They weren't very far away.  She took a step forward to go to the shrub when Pinto gave a sudden growl.

"What is it?" said Seema.  She heard the growl again.  She decided to leave the lilies alone for the time being and return to the cottage.  Auntie may start worrying. 

Dinner was a simple affair, but the food was delicious.  Later, Seema and her aunt sat out on the patio and chatted.  It was almost a full moon night and the skies were clear.  There was something different in the air.  A light breeze stirred intermittently breaking the silence while the white moon shone down. Flames in the lanterns burnt as they hung from the roof.  The fragrance of the night flowers drifted intoxicatingly.  Seema remembered those lilies and sighed.  That silly Pinto …… but never mind, she would fetch those flowers tomorrow morning.  Seema walked to the ornate fountain. 

The water was not spraying in the night.  In the pool, the water was still.  She peeped into the water and saw her reflection.  Large brown eyes that were innocent yet determined looked back at her.  Straight long hair framed her pretty face.  She smiled and turned from the pool.  Quietly she walked to the statue at the corner.  It was a young girl, with flowing tresses that curled at the end.  Her long skirt was slightly lifted in one hand while the other hand was extended to call or reach out.  The statue shone, the marble glowing in the white light.

"Seema!" called out Kakiji.  "Don't go too far away."

"No, no!" replied Seema. 

She aimlessly walked back with a song on her lips. 

"Hum aur tum aur yeh sama

Kya nasha nasha sa hai

Boliye na boliye…..

Sab suna suna sa hai….."

She trailed off her song.  She heard something like a foot fall.  Was somebody at the gate?  Who could be there? 

"Who is it?" she called.

Except for the crickets, there seemed to be no one else.  She shrugged her shoulders and made to move.  She heard the crackling of twigs.  She went to the gate but no one was there. 

"Could've been a rat or something," she thought.

She turned back to return to the cottage.  She heard the call of the night bird.  She looked around and suddenly felt happy.  She stood on tiptoes and twirled several circles.  She couldn't remember when she had felt so carefree before. She wanted to sit out longer but it was getting late and there was now a nip in the air.  So she went in.  She changed and slipped under the blankets.  She could see the beautiful moon from her window.  It had been a nice day and the only thing missing were those flowers.  She sighed.

She needed to pluck the flowers urgently.  But she knew that it was incorrect to pluck flowers in the night.  It disturbed their sleep.  She had to do it and she was sure the flowers would forgive her.  Tomorrow her father was to come and she wanted to make a garland to welcome him. She hurried out of the gate.  In the bright moonlight, she easily made her way to the forest.  She knew the way and she half ran half walked to it.  It was dark within the forest but it was full of noises.  The hooting of an owl was frightening but the song of the nightingale put her at ease.  She screwed her eyes to see the path.  She came to the little rivulet.  The swans were there with their graceful necks tucked in for they were fast asleep.  She felt terrible, she didn't want to disturb anyone.  She picked up her skirts and started her climb.  The fragrance told her where the lilies were exactly.  She quickly reached up and started plucking the flowers.  She tucked them in her stole and some she carried in her hand.  Something cold touched her elbow and she jumped out of her skin.  It was a little deer….. a fawn. It was a baby.  Dear God! Had it lost its mother?  The eyes were looking so large and innocent.  Her heart melted.  The skin was light beige and the spots shone like gold coins. 

"Oh you beauty ………..why are you here alone?"

There was a rustle of leaves.  Leaves that were being tread upon as someone walked.  Who could be here?  A wolf howled far away in the forest seemed to howl.  She swallowed.  The tiny fawn turned and began to run.  She ran after it.  What if it fell and hurt itself?  The footsteps could now be heard clearly.  Who was following her?  As the started to climb up the slope, she had to pick up her long skirt.  What was she wearing?  A long brown skirt?  It was so heavy to handle.  She could sense the person behind.  She half turned to see the shadow of the man still hidden in the trees.  She panted as she quickly climbed up.  A rifle shot rent the air and the silence was shattered.  The birds cackled, the animals yelled and the little fawn shivered beside her.  She stood in her place.  Her long skirt hid the timid animal. 

The man came forward, his rifle slung over his shoulder. 

"Move away." He ordered.

She was sweating and her breathing had accelerated.

"Why should I?"  She asked bravely.

"That fawn is mine," he declared.

"It's mine," she said.

"Really?"

"Yes, it came to me and I shall never give him to you."

"This forest is mine."

"Maybe but the animals are free."

"They are mine to do as I wish since the forest is mine."

"If the forest belongs to you, then the animals are in you care.  You are supposed to protect them, not harm them."

He took a step forward menacingly and suddenly his hounds bounded up.  They were the most ferocious looking dogs.  Teeth like little daggers, they could have torn the flesh of any animal in minutes.  She was so afraid, she could hardly breathe.  Her hands shivered and some of the flowers fell to the ground. 

"Heel," said the man.  The dogs obeyed, sheathing their ugly teeth.  They wagged their tail.  "I have to take care of this unnecessary interruption."

He started to take steps towards her.

"Stop," she said, "stay where you are."

He man stopped and raised his eyebrows. "Are you ordering me? Me?"

He shrugged and continued his walk.  She picked up the fawn and began to run.  He caught her and turned her around.  He took the fawn out of her clutching hands and dropped it to the ground.

"What are you doing?"  she shrieked.

"Just gathering food for me and my friends here. They can have you while I can make a good dinner of him."  He looked down at the fawn who was huddled next to her.

The wicked smile, the cruel words showed the man was indeed the devil.  She gasped as if she was being choked.  She was fighting for her breath, her lashes dropped but her hands remained tightly closed.

Seema woke up with a start.  Her forehead was wet with sweat and her breathing was ragged.  Her heart was thudding and she was shivering out of dread.  But…but…. where was she?  She was safe in her bed.  Oh God! It had been a scary dream.  She sighed with relief.  She took a towel and wiped her face.  She lay back.  She turned on her side, and put her hands under her head.  As she sleepily thought about what had happened, she got the mild whiff of lilies.  Where were the lilies?  She frowned.  She opened her palms and slowly smelled them.  The fragrance of the lilies was coming from her palms.  She gasped in shock !  How could this be?  She hadn't even touched the lilies……….

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

*Nishi* thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
reserved*  

these are my kind of stories. dark mysterious woods, flwers, long skirts 😃 i imagined it as some part of switzerland since you said mountains right 😳 ver well written (your writing is always great 😆). i dont get the last part though.. who was the devil? and why could she smell the flowers when she hadn't picked them..? is this one of those things where looks arent always what they seem or something 😆 cause she saw the most beautiful place and then it was the most dangerous..

Edited by *Nishi* - 14 years ago
Delena-cious thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
this is really nice....very intruding..and really liked the way u had narrated it..very creative...are u continuing this?
if so please do :)
skeptical thumbnail
Yes dears .................. shall be continuing it. 
I just wanted to see the response. 😉

And Nishi its not Switzerland altho the picture seems to be a Swiss locale.  I'll tell you how this story came about.  We (MRD forum) are a thick group.  One of us usually posts pictures and I write poems on them.  This time she posted these pictures so I decided to make a story out of it.  It took me about a week to formulate a story.  I have posted this story elsewhere, but thought I would post it here too for a change. 

Thank you for your appreciation. 😆
skeptical thumbnail

Originally posted by: *Nishi*

reserved*  

these are my kind of stories. dark mysterious woods, flwers, long skirts 😃 i imagined it as some part of switzerland since you said mountains right 😳 ver well written (your writing is always great 😆). i dont get the last part though.. who was the devil? and why could she smell the flowers when she hadn't picked them..? is this one of those things where looks arent always what they seem or something 😆 cause she saw the most beautiful place and then it was the most dangerous..

@ pink..............what do you mean by that statement? Always great?  Do you read what I write?
MrMonster thumbnail
I love your story it's great the way you narrated was awesome, i like the whole senario, and aww Bambie, i want to see the movie now, i wonder, are you going to continue or leave it in a curious end?
skeptical thumbnail
I will be writing the sequel.................just that I take some time to update due to committments of writing updates etc.
pennu thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Wow Great Skep....
it was such a good story...
i love these kind of stories..
and the pic which samee gave to you was awsome...
you brilliantly and with much care weaved a beautiful story....
I felt myself in that woods....
realitybites thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Wow Skep, beautifully written and so well portrayed with pics. You are  a gifted writer, do continue writting.
netu19 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

ha it really smells like lilies😍.....had to be.....
sumone had created the magic again.......loved it❤️
feeling nostalgic....
now i know where to walk to feel breeze and smell lilies.😊..😊