Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

blokes thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
Part 7:

Keshav checked out of his room and got into the car with Vishaka and Maji. "Maji, let me assure you, you will wish me gone tomorrow morning when you hear me croak in the name of riyaz. Are you sure you can handle it?"

"Haan, beta. It would be a delight to hear you sing. I understand from Vishaka that you are a great musician. We do not watch any film or television in our home. Maybe you can sing the morning Arti?"

"It will be my great saubhagya, Maji," replied Keshav. Turning around further, looking into the back seat from the front, he asked, "So, tell me Vishaka, how is married life?"

Vishaka did not know how to answer him. "Fine, I guess. I am still getting used to the fact that I am in a large establishment where everyone knows what is expected of them and I feel like I am on stage and have forgotten my lines."

"Tut, tut. Vish, you need to get involved in your new life. Accha, tell me, how is your riyaz going? Say what, I usually do my practice at 6 in the morning. Why don't we do it together as we used to with Masterji?"

Vishaka glanced at Maji uncomfortably but Maji immediately smiled and replied, "Haan beta. Certainly. We are yet to hear Vishaka sing. I am sure she sings very well. When we decided that she will be our Bahu, everyone in Vrindavan told us just how beautifully she sang."

Soon they arrived home and Maji asked a servant to bring in Keshav's luggage and put it in the guest room with the terrace overlooking the backyard. Keshav thanked her once more for her graciousness and was introduced to Dadi and Deepika.

"And this is Deepika, our laadli beti. She is spoilt being the youngest and the only girl in 3 generations," Maji continued.

One look into the bright sparkly eyes of Deepika, Keshav lost his heart. He could almost hear that film song "Ik Ladki ko dekha to aisa laga" play in the background. Deepika was thrilled to meet Keshav.

"You are THE Keshav, Keshav Chaube of Bhabhi bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi fame? I loved every track especially the one called "Bhabhi Bhabhi tum bhi na". I can't believe it! Vishaka bhabhi please pinch me- I am not dreaming, am I? Gosh, just wait till I tell my friends in college tomorrow just who we have for a house guest. They will be green with envy," Deepika rattled on.

Keshav could not but be bedazzled by her innocence and youthful exuberance. Who would have thought that he, Keshav Chaube, reigning star of the playback world would fall so hard for a young college girl? He had met many fans and women who wanted to be more than intimate with him these past few years, but he kept busy with his work and practice and never glanced at any woman.

He had no bad habits like drinking alcohol or even going for too many late night parties as it took a toll on his voice. He kept a strict regime as his Masterji had taught him and he knew it was that discipline that had brought him such name and fame in such a short time. He had to do his Masterji proud. He knew he would last only if he kept that strict discipline.

Vishaka turned to Deepika, " Dear, please do not bother Keshav. He needs his peace to practice. I am sure he will let you sit in during his riyaz. Wouldn't you like that?"

" Really, may I? Wow. Keshav ji, is this true? Can I actually watch you do your practice? Kanha, aap ne meri sapna saakar kiye! Thank you Takurji. I owe you an extra special pranam at tomorrow's Arti." She continued to shower Keshav with her dazzling smile little knowing what effect it had on him.

Keshav continued to stare back at Deepika and could barely hear himself nod and say, "Sure. You are welcome to hear me croak first thing in the morning." And he winked at her. And she winked right back at him.

Vishaka was amused by this instant friendship between Keshav and Deepika and was glad for the extra support. She hoped that he would forget all about asking her to practice with him tomorrow and began to walk towards the kitchen. Keshav stopped her by reminding her that he will wait for her too in the morning for riyaz.

She nodded and discussed dinner menu with the cook and ensured all was set for the evening meal and then, proceeded to her room. She changed out of her fancy sari and wore a comfortable cotton one. She returned to the living room to check on Dadi making sure she had no requirements and awaited Dev's arrival from work.

She reflected on this new turn of events. She had not seen Keshav in so many years. Not since the time he had left Vrindavan to seek his fortunes in the dicey world of Bollywood. Not only had he gotten a break, he had also achieved great fame and money in the process. What amazed her even more was that he seemed so unaffected by it all. In spite of being such a super star, he was so down to earth and willing to share his time and talent with others. For a moment a streak of envy shot through her only to be acknowledged and smiled at. All her dreams of wanting to be a playback singer, were shattered beyond repair. Maybe, the morning riyaz may help shake her out of the blues.

gauranitai thumbnail
Great update and Deepika is not annoying(Yay)
sanafsha thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
very nice... deepika and keshav??? nice twist.. lets see how it goes.. story going great.. do update.. thanks alot... =)
blokes thumbnail
gauranitai: Yes, I liked Deepika's sunny disposition, unfortunately "overblown"- if tempered down she can be extremely charming and her very naivity can be attractive to some men- and she certainly should not be wasted on a leacher like Arjun!
blokes thumbnail
sanafsha- thanx. yeah, i liked these 2 characters and felt they were under represented in the actual serial. there is so much potential in "secondary" characters and CB story writers have not used them wisely. They focused too much on the main story of Dev and rads and messed that up with missing the timing totally- the truth about the wedding should have come out in June thru nandu.
ptamom thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I luv your story cant wait to see what happens next. What does Dev do when he find out he's a dad? 
blokes thumbnail

Originally posted by: aviaanya

I luv your story cant wait to see what happens next. What does Dev do when he find out he's a dad?

thanx aviaanya- but then do u think he will know? Who will tell him? wait and read- I will update soon.
radev24 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Hey, ab ja ke I read ALL the parts...... in two words ..... amazing and Vrushali's manifique  !!  Your "first" attempt as a fiction writer should be replaced with "seasoned" writer..... rem ? no need to be modest, esp when we can clearly see the extent to which you can go all out, in redefining the characters of Keshav, Ritu, Deepaka, Vishakha..... last but not the least our most beloved  Dev.... Even though I agree when you said earlier how too much focus and attention in CB is given to RaDev, and consequently others are relegated to mere "secondary"  position...... (paraphrasing !!)

Part 7, paving the way for Keshav and "sunny disposition" of Deepika to get closer..... and that her "naivete' should not be wasted on a leecher, parasite like Arjun" .....

Part 6, I cant help but have to quote your words  ...... and  you know I mean it when I say that if Oprah herself had read these words, your book called "A Silent Song"  (well, what a title.... hats off !!) would be a definite part of her "Book Club"......  here goes......

She had sat curled along him while he played with her hair, twirling it with his fingers and smoothing it. Then he had turned to brush it past her face to find her ear with his lips and had ended up kissing her. One thing led to the next and then they had just dissolved into one another resulting in this precious being........ 

Frankly, when I read it 1st time, say half hour ago, mujhe vishwas nahin hua, and I muttered silently in my own mind..... can even a good writer write like this ???? Girl, I mean, to be able to pick just the right words, esp when one has to put  those feelings down in a written format, when he played with and twirled her hair with his fingers..... too tomantic and inviting for words.......  

Since I always wanted Psychology major back in b'bay because of my utmost fascination with the subject, I see in your writing that you too have that bent of mind  big time when analyzing all these different characters...... (ek side business shuru kar do in San Jose, as we all know how lucrative it can be with all kinds of "environMENTAL" people around  !! )

Part 5, these words.... just too good for words..... But she would do anything for her child, their child. This child created by love that last night, the night before Dev left for India: A precious gift, just for her.....
Well, in short, my "naive analysis"  of our author here is...... what direction you would have wanted the directors to take....  i.e. one big example that the wedding should have taken place in June itself with nandu's help.....coz that's what you would have done if you were one of the creative creatives..... !!!  And we as your fan club, would have supported your creativity 100% .....  In which case you probably would have had the baby in July ....

Which brings up my point whether Part 8 of your story is going to have any revelation...... will dev even know about the baby ?  And as you say.... who will tell him ?? Isn't Matt the only person who knows about the two of them, other than Marta and people at the shelter ?!?!  Do correct me if I'm wrong !!

Please continue....r u planning to have recaps like actual CB too..... never too late !!  Especially knowing how mercilessly they have been removing / altering it almost every chance they get.... trp or no trp ratings !!!

My 2c !

~ P ~

blokes thumbnail
radev! 🤗 for that detailed analysis. I am not being modest- I have never tried fiction before- this is an entirely different experience. I am so glad that u r enjoying it. I have written 3 more parts will post them one a day- I have it all in my head planned for about 50 parts. Am not too sure if I would like to "stretch" it to 100 and lose the core plot.
I have been a great appreciator of literature- reading other people's writing. I thank the creatives of CB to have inspired me to try my hand at writing. I really wish they took the role of writing seriously- they have a fantastic cast, an interesting core plot. Unfortunately they r floundering as they went to extremes- all this tarpan business and today, jal samadhi- totally foolish extremes- they lose their punch when used too often. dramatic twists like that are useful when used sparingly.

otherwise it is like the boy who cried wolf too often and then when the wolf is indeed at the door, it destroys.

I hope Indian writers find their voice in the Indian context. We find some great writers in regional languages (but not in recent times). Unfortunately when we start thinking in a different language that does not have the ability to translate what you experience in life, which has just the right words, we get stuck.
blokes thumbnail
Part 8:

Prohit house. 6 AM

Keshav switched on his Yamaha electronic tanpura, custom made for him. The entire room reverberated with the drone of SA… As Vishaka walked towards it, Deepika joined her in the hallway leading to Keshav's room and looked excited.

"Bhabhi, I just can't believe that I will be hearing Keshav ji sing LIVE! And I will hear you too. You know, all these months you never practiced even once. What will you be singing today?"

"I don't know, Deepika," replied Vishaka. They entered the room and Keshav was seated on a cotton rug on the floor with his eyes closed in deep meditation. He sensed them there and slowly opened his eyes. He saw Deepika and his eyes brightened. He turned towards Vishaka and smiled.

"Ready?" he enquired. Vishaka barely nodded. He looked at Deepika and asked her if she sang too. She said, "Are you kidding me? No way! When Babuji wanted me to learn music and got me a teacher home, I used to play so many tricks on him that the poor man ran. That was the end of my musical career!"

Keshav smiled at this confession and told Vishaka that they would start with Omkar followed by Raag Bhairav. With a tremulous voice, Vishaka opened her mouth to chant Om.

The first Om came out weak and reedy. The second one opened itself up to resonate all over her. She closed her eyes tightly and allowed herself to dissolve into the sound emanating from her mouth that reflected off the sound from the tanpura and that of Keshav's voice. Even the birds outside seemed to have joined in and all was still with the world. There was a deep silence in the sound.

Vishaka's entire body started to tremble and vibrate and tears began to flow. The sound came clearer and stronger from within. The entire house was filled with music. The aalap began followed by the song:
"Jaago mohan pyaare jaago savari surat mohe man bhae
Sundar shyam hamare…" they sang in unison.

As the Anthra began, everyone in the house stopped what they were doing and were lost in the sheer melody of the song. They were in a trance.

Dev, who had worked through most of the night on the Bates' project stilled at his desk and closed his eyes, allowing the music to wash over him. He felt tears form under his eyelids and dribble out without his knowing.

Dadima at the Puja room stopped her preparation and closed her eyes and went into rapture. Maji had tears running down her cheeks when she heard her bahu's voice. Everyone in Vrindavan had been right. She sang like an angel.

Deepika was enthralled. She had not known that music could be so meditative. She enjoyed fast numbers and liked pop more than classical. Today, she changed her mind. Her heart wanted to burst with pride and joy.

She could not take her eyes off Keshav. His face had transformed into a radiant halo where forms ceased to exist, being taken over by sound that was formless. She involuntarily closed her eyes too.

Vishaka was lost in the music. She forgot who she was. Her voice that had not soared in so long took off and refused to stop. It was like a dam bursting. Some of the most complicated taans came out like a heavy downpour of the monsoon rain. It seemed too effortless; too easy.

Dev found a drop of wetness fall on his hand and he realized that he was weeping. He had never heard such divine music. He was not a great fan of music but he appreciated good music. He enjoyed forms and shapes, colors and aesthetics more. But there was an emotional depth to the music he was hearing that he did not know what, but it connected with him.

He stood up from his desk and stretched. It was time to shower and get on with the day. He had to send out the Bates' project and talk to Matt. He went to his room, shaved and showered and got his cell out to call Matt.

Just then Dadi came to his room and said, "Did you hear that, Dev? Wasn't Vishaka amazing?"

"Yes, Dadima. She is truly gifted. I am surprised that we have never heard her sing all these months that she has been here."

"That is why I am here, Dev. Did you tell her anything before the wedding about not singing or something?"

"No, Dadima. I told her about Ritz and nothing else. I did not even know she sang to tell her not to sing."

"Hmm, well, let me ask Vaishali then," said Dadima and left the room.

Dev felt his heart sink once more on his saying Ritz' name aloud in 5 months. He had raged with the fates and refused to accept this marriage. But seeing his dying father had succumbed and agreed. He knew he could never be whole again without Ritz in his life.

"Ritu, wonder how you are doing? I know you are missing me as much if not more. You will also be helping all your angels without wings who make your world go around and keep busy."

He shrugged off those thoughts and remembered that he needed to call Matt. He picked up his cell and called.