Sandiip Sikcand plays eunuch-CREATIVEHEAD

dhaval_h_parekh thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Sandiip Sikcand plays eunuch
   By: Shaheen Parkar
   October 31, 2005

Sandiip Sikcand
Most telly actors know Sandiip Sikcand as Balaji's creative head for shows like Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii, K Street Pali Hill and Hum Paanch.

But Sikcand is also an actor, who does theatre as well as television.

He has just shot for a short film called Sanna, directed by music composer Aadesh Shrivastava; the film marks Shrivastava's directorial debut.

Gender bender

In a daring role, Sikcand will be seen as a eunuch who is part of a child prostitution racket.

"This is indeed a different role for me," says Sikcand, who plays the sari-clad eunuch, Raju. "The film was shot on the streets of Mumbai and I was hoping I would not bump into any Balaji people!" he laughs.

Sandiip Sikcand as the eunuch Raju in Sanna
Sanna is a 10-minute film about child prostitution, focussing on the nexus between a brothel owner and a eunuch.

Besides Sikcand, the film stars Ayesha Kapoor (who was seen in Sanjay Leela Bhansali's Black as the young Michelle McNally), Seema Biswas, Pratima Kazmi and Akhilenda Mishra.

Character progression

Sikcand was approached for Sanna by Prachi Thadani, who worked with Shrivastava on the film.

"Prachi had seen me in my play, Champagne on the House, in which I played a gay character. She thought I fit the role of Raju in Sanna. When she approached me, she had doubts about whether I would do the role. But to her great surprise, I agreed."

The film portrays the dark underbelly of Mumbai. "It was quite an experience shooting for Sanna. It looks at the dark, grim side of life in the city. It is about something that is real, that happens on the city's streets, with poor girls as victims. In fact, Aadesh was inspired to make Sanna after a real incident which moved him," says Sikcand. The role of the brothel owner is played by Biswas.

Fit hai to hit hai!

Sikcand had to contend with sari blouse fittings, make-up, long hair and eyelashes while shooting for the film.

"What I have realised after wearing a sari for this role is how important it is to have a proper fit for a sari blouse. Most of our serial's actresses always tell Balaji designer Nim Sood to provide proper fittings for their blouse. I used to wonder why they fussed about such a small thing so much — now I know!" he grins.

Sanna has been on the international film festival circuit and will be seen in India as well. "It is a film which will move you," says Sikcand.

[email protected]

Many faces of Sandiip Sikcand

Sandeep Sikcand wears many hats:

1. Creative head of Balaji shows Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii, K Street Pali Hill (both on Star Plus). besides Hum Paanch and Kasamh Se (both will air on Zee).

2. Acted as Parmeet in Kesar (Star Plus), Umesh in Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii (Star Plus), and Sandeep in Kehna Hai Kuch Mujhko (Sony).

3. Was seen as Alex on the big screen in Waisa Bhi Hota Hai Part II.

4. Began as a theatre producer-director and has staged Ask What Father Says, Oh God, Champagne on The House and My Best Friend's Wedding. Is currently seen in Vikram Kapadia's Black With 'Equal'.