ritu thumbnail
Posted: 19 years ago
Anyone knows anything about it ? What is it used for ?  Also what is Spyware Stormer ?Edited by ritu - 19 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

*Anjali* thumbnail

here's some info I found on Skype, Ritu

url:  http://www.skype.com/products/

Hello. We're Skype and we've got something
we would like to share with you.

What we've got is a simple bit of software we want to give you. It'll let you make free calls to your friends all over the world. And we don't want any money for it. It's free.

You could think of us as the big, free Internet telephony company. We prefer to think of ourselves as a big group hug, even a present. Yes… that's it… we're a present… but without the ribbon.

Download Skype:  Windows | Mac OS X | Linux | Pocket PC

Skype in a nutshell.

Our software's quick and easy to get started with. , register, install, plug in your headset, speakers or USB phone and start calling your friends. The calls have excellent sound quality and are highly secure with end-to-end encryption. You don't even need to configure your firewall or router or any other networking gear. It just, you know… works.

at pretty low ratesat pretty low ratesBridging the gap.

And it doesn't just work on Windows, like some other software you may know. Skype is also for Mac OS X, Linux and PDAs using Pocket PC, with a native look and feel for each platform. Talking, sending instant messages or even file transfers work between different platforms like a charm.

Calling regular phone numbers.

If there weren't enough ways for you to contact your friends, we have a little thing called SkypeOut. It lets you make calls to old-fashioned phone numbers all around the world. Landlines, mobile phones... it works with almost all of them. SkypeOut is not free but it is pretty cheap, actually. You can read more about SkypeOut if you wish.

Make sure you're on the same page.

You know how Skype to Skype calls are free and work? Well, we've taken the same recipe and applied it to file transfers. Since most things you want your friends to see tend to be rather large, we made our file transfer work with all the file sizes your operating system can handle. For most people, that's between 2 or 4 gigabytes. And remember, it works from Windows to Mac to Linux and the other way around. No platform problems here.

Nobody's listening in.

When it comes to talking, instant messaging or transferring files, we've gone to great lengths to make it secure. Skype automatically encrypts everything before sending it through the internet. Likewise, on arrival everything is decrypted on-the-spot and presented as crystal clear speak, text or a file transfer nobody can intercept.

Yes, you heard it right.

All the security in the world wouldn't matter, though, if you couldn't hear the other person. With Skype, you can. We're working with the very best in the industry to provide a sound quality far superior to what you're used to from ordinary telephones. If you will bear with us for a moment here we'd like to share some technical stuff with you: with normal telephones you can only hear sounds from 300 Hz to 3 kHz. Not so with Skype; We're all over the spectrum, from the lowest hum to the highest screetch. In other words: 'F' and 'S' will sound like the two different letters they were meant to, and in the end you will be able to have a much more natural conversation.

Getting the words out.

That also goes for conferences. It's completely secure for you and up to four others to get together to coordinate tactics in a game, make one of those important business decisions or simply have a chat, even if you're all on different continents.

Needle. Haystack. Solution.

Searching for those long-lost relatives or just somebody to have a quick chat with is also part of what Skype is all about. We have what we call a Global User Directory. It's a giant phonebook of all the people who use Skype. You can use it to search for people you'd like to talk to, people who have the same birthday or people who just happen to live in the same street as you.

Is anybody out there?

When you find somebody you know or even someone you would like to know, you add them to your list of contacts. You can also write a little note to let them know who you are and why you want to add them to your list. Handy, if your separated-at-birth-twin finds you on Skype. When people are on your list, you can see if they are online, offline, busy... or perhaps out to lunch.

When actual, spoken words fail you.

Did we mention that you can also send instant messages with Skype? Well, you can. That's nice for when you're talking about a website and you want to send that really long address or if you're writing a song maybe. Either way, you can send one of those little smiley faces along with your message. Smile to the world and the world smiles back.

Skype screenshots for
Windows | Mac OS X | Linux | Pocket PC

This is your home base; see any missed calls, missed chats etc. You'll get a quick overview of how many friends you have online and you can see the status of services your subscribe to.

To call someone on Skype, just find that person in your Contact list, and click the big, green button.

Calls to other people on Skype are crystal-clear — some people says it feels like the person is right next to you! When you don't feel like talking any more, just click the red button to hang up.

Talking on Skype is more than just 1-on-1. You can make conference calls with up to four other people, and you can all talk to each other at the same time.

With Skype, you can call other people even if they don't have a computer. It's called SkypeOut, and lets you call any phone number in the world at pretty low rates.

Need to send an important document to your colleague? Downloaded a cool picture from the web that you want your friends to see? Just send it over with Skype file transfer. It's secure and encrypted like the rest of Skype, and handles files of any size.

7 New!

*Anjali* thumbnail
As for Spyware Stormer, I didn't find out much, but i did encounter a couple of sites that said "don't download it b/c it's like Spyware itself"  😕😕😕 not sure though....HUMM--do you know??
HUMM thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Its a useless softwareOnly NegativeOnly Negative🤢Only NegativeOnly Negative🤢Only NegativeOnly Negative🤢

Use it at ur own risk... i don't know anything abt it!
Some info:

Spyware Stormer is the world leader in Spyware prevention and elimination software.
  • Have you ever downloaded music or free software applications online?
  • Has your computer been running extremely slow or has it crashed recently?
  • Are you pestered by popup ads?
  • Prevent privacy invasions, unwanted advertisements and sluggish computer speeds, download Spyware Stormer today!
Scan your PC now - free!

By clicking the 'Scan' button, you agree
to the Spyware Stormer End User License Agreement.

Some more info:
Spyware Stormer

Download Now
Download Now
Free download 153.67K

CNET User Opinions 
20%     80%    (89 votes)

How would you rate this product?

All CNET User Reviews Found: 87 
< Previous | 1 - 10 of 87 | Next >
Show: All reviews |  Only Positive| Only Negative Date

Bruce 21-Jan-2005 01:40:02 PM
   "does not work"
I have ran scan after scan (16 times) and it never completely clears all adware/spyware

F. Gravel 13-Jan-2005 12:40:02 PM
   "Same as spyware!"
This program isn't as good as many *FREE* spyware removal tools. To all of you who think this program is good, try to uninstall it. It doesn't: EXACTLY LIKE SPYWARE. You also don't have control over it: it starts all the time, runs hidden somewhere you can't see and you can't stop it: once again, EXACTLY LIKE SPYWARE. I pity those who *PAID* to try it. What a ripoff! The authors of this new spyware should be sued! Even if you didn't pay, and simply tried it, you're stuck with it. WHAT A SCAM!!! Besides, how more annoying can it be to take the time to download, install and let it scan your system, only to be told that in order for it to remove the infections found, you have to pay? So you can't evaluate just exactly how good it is to actually remove infections and fix your system? You can only evaluate its scanning quality? That's bad, pretty bad. I think I just can't say how annoyed and how mad I am at having tried the stupid thing. I suggest you look for the following FREE spyware removal tools: Ad-Aware SE, Spybot Search and Destroy, Microsoft's AntiSpyware (now in Beta). And start using Mozilla FireFox.

deerwoman 09-Jan-2005 10:50:03 PM
   "Believe all the others when they say to stay away"
I just got fooled today, and downloaded this thing. I can't get rid of it, and am afraid to turn off my computer, afraid I'll never be able to boot up again. Already Windows Media Player crashed and I can't start any applications that take processing power. I was trying to back up some files on a CD and EZ CD Creator won't run. Hey did anyone ever find out how to get rid of it/ Please tell me, email me at either [email protected] or [email protected]

CliffBBqman 08-Jan-2005 08:50:01 AM
   "Be extremely wary!"
If only the product did half that their marketing promised. This is nothing but an outrageous rip off and is an expensive mway of BUYING a virus.Never again will I purchase downloads from the net.

lupe 07-Jan-2005 11:50:00 PM
   "Deceptive advertising"
I have filed a complaint with the ftc(Federal Trade Commission) and I hope those duped in to downloading it do the same. I can't even get the lousey stuff off my system. I hope somebody does file a class action suit against them.

Byron Gates, Jr. 03-Jan-2005 05:39:59 PM
   "Works great"
Easy install, lots of ways to run it on your system, and it works. I've tried several, this one does it.

Ron Duncan Sr 30-Dec-2004 07:39:59 PM
   "crashed after 1 month"
Cannot use it as the data base is gone from my PC

they saw me comming 29-Dec-2004 06:40:01 PM
   "ripped off"
had to reformat to get it out of system, want my money back. how do i get it back? i get nothing from [email protected].

C.C.Trails 29-Dec-2004 04:39:59 PM
   "Works fine"
Either the new version has cleaned up previous problems, or I'm out to lunch. The first scan removed five problems; subsequent scans have found none. No noticeable diminution of processing speed. NoAdware works fine, too.

birddawg 23-Dec-2004 08:10:03 AM
   "It didnt do a good scan"

Edited by HUMM - 19 years ago