Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ananyacool thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
You don't have to apolozise so profusely, dear. One should be careful and respect other's opinion(s) but should not go on a defensive or be over cautious. again best wishes for ur exams. Pz Don't take my words to heart either.
Nisha_07 thumbnail

Originally posted by: ananyacool

thanx for the info.

Regarding Sati not being vedic is true. But in Rkveda there's a peculiar custom explained where in a wife would lie down on her dead husband's unlit pyre some mantras would be chanted and then she would get up back then the dead body would be lit up, this symbolised that a wife's 'soul' would depart with her dead husband but guess this custom was grossly misinterpreted.

Now that I never knew, thanks Ananya. Sati as a practice is one of the things I find the most difficult to accept. Johur is something I guess I can understand - it's keeping staying in control, ensuring your own fate and not losing your self respect. But the practice of sati - or at least what it became - is just unimaginable.
ananyacool thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Nisha_07

Now that I never knew, thanks Ananya. Sati as a practice is one of the things I find the most difficult to accept. Johur is something I guess I can understand - it's keeping staying in control, ensuring your own fate and not losing your self respect. But the practice of sati - or at least what it became - is just unimaginable.

u're welcome,Nisha.
mehraan thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

thanx for the info.

Regarding Sati not being vedic is true. But in Rkveda there's a peculiar custom explained where in a wife would lie down on her dead husband's unlit pyre some mantras would be chanted and then she would get up back then the dead body would be lit up, this symbolised that a wife's 'soul' would depart with her dead husband but guess this custom was grossly misinterpreted.

wow i didnt kno tis...thanx 4 the info... so different ways of sati2!
mehraan thumbnail

Originally posted by: Aradhana87

I dont know if it started with muslim invations in india but I think all rajput parents taught their daughter :rather die than being a slave of the enemy.
About sati custom I think that is for widowed women only.😳

hi aradhna...gud 2 c u here😃 
absolutely the difference betwwen sati n jauhar is teh one u mentioned...
we hve discussed tis issue many times in the prc forum abt the jouhar fact tat many rajput ladies  committed jauhar attime of the ghori invasion of delhi  vich was the 1st one.......sanyogitas mystery is till thre regardg tis fact as many said she did n many dont... many do say as the invasion happened then , many rajput ladies were also captured  ...as a lesson after tat  , every rajput women resort to jauhar jus 2
 protect , defend themselves n save their prestige...rather than being a slave!
tats wat i kno!
t
mehraan thumbnail

Thanx for the info mehraan.

I was collecting info on custom of Jauhar/Sati. I know that this custom of self immolation isn't a vedic one. Did this custom start with muslim invasions on India?
and how is jauhar pronounced in vernacular Rajasthani languages?

actually dear they r so many mysteries 2 it...history can be really confusing😃 bt still i will find out...i think ghori was the first one 2 invade n from thre i hve heard a lot abt jauhar...i still dunno ..bt i will check out 2!