ronitfan thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 15 years ago

Match Point

Font Size
-A +A

Jaskiran Kapoor

Posted: May 13, 2009 at 2128 hrs IST

Ever wonder why Indian television serials are all 'knotted' up?

12,515. That's the number of boys and men who've answered Rakhi Sawant's matrimonial ad. NDTV Imagine's 'Rakhi Ka Swayamvar' is roaring with response from prospective grooms across the world. Starting May 13, Star Plus will go on air with Star Vivaah, a matrimonial show which will put an end to your search for a 'soulmate'. Elsewhere, the telly microwaves are crackling with popcorn serials like Bhagyavidhaata on Colors, which talks of Pakruah Vivah where the groom is kidnapped and forced to marry the unsuspecting girl. Imagine's Balika Vadhu's riding high on child marriage. Zee's Saat Phere, well the name is enough to tell the tale. Agle Janam Mohe Bitiya Hi Kijo and Bandini side by the low-caste, victimized bride while Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai is busy looking for a 'suitable boy' for Akshara. When it comes to one of the favourite national pass-times and now, a major business, marriage takes centrestage, the latest to blow the trumpet is the Indian telly. In fact, according to a survey done by International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS), Mumbai, and Population Council, New Delhi, it was found that 95 per cent of the youth still prefer to marry the traditional way. Thriving on this rapidly changing view of the contemporary India the television industry too is going for a change. Out walk saas-bahu sagas and in trot shows on romance, social messages and marriage. Now, aren't we all knotted up! Which brings us back to Star Vivaah. Remember Madhuri Dixit's attempt at running a marriage bureau? Well, here we have actor Mohnish Behl and Nach Baliye 4 participant, Addite Shirwaker finding suitable matches for the janta. Says Anupama Mandloi, Senior Creative Director, Star Plus, "Through our research, we realized that marriage is an important decision in every Indian home, and our show will help viewers to make an informed choice from the vast directory of prospective brides and grooms on the show." From taking an anti-dowry stance, promoting gender equality, helping widows, handicapped individuals, divorcees to bringing on celebrity couples, Star Vivaah is all set to play match-maker. (You can register by dialing the call centre no 022-61446144.)

Quiz telly brains why marriage is such an important theme, and they say it's all about 'emotions'. "Research shows that marriage is a highly emotional subject for Indian viewers. The institution of marriage and rituals like the "saath phere" and mangalsutra are sacred and the biggest pre-occupation of an Indian parent is 'to get their daughter married'. Beti ki shaadi is the biggest "punya ka kaam," quotes Keertan Adyanthaya, General Manager and Executive Vice-President, Star India Pvt Ltd. Balika Vadhu, Jyoti and Astitva - Ek Prem Kahani's writer Purnendu Shekhar adds, "A wedding in India is not just the union between two people, it's an alliance between two families.The extended joint families and multiplicity of relationships between people and their dynamics provide a rich ground for developing themes." But why not pick extra-marital affairs, infidelity, divorce, live-in relationships or for that matter, other thrilling subjects? "Because television largely caters to lower-middle class, and our content needs to suit their sensibilities. We have to produce what's in demand," he reasons. Television, adds Keertan, no longer gives a distanced and fictional perspective to life, it has evolved as a medium that provides a closer glimpse into people's lives.

We can't help, but quote the drama queen, Rakhi Sawant, "Every young woman dreams of a perfect marriage! I am a cultured Indian woman and I have reached a stage where I need a companion. Sita had her Swayamvar…so why not me?" Matchmaker, matchmaker, make me a match, find me a catch!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

tvrasika thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Our fixation with marriage is something... and TV channels are being smart in cashing in on that. But it is sad that symbols of marriage like mangalsutra and saat phere are given more importance than duties and responsibilities that marriage brings to both men and women. Hopefully, that will change.

In Bandini for example, we know that Santo takes her duties of a 'priya dharma pattini' very seriously, but I am hoping we will also see DM taking his duties of the saat phere, of artha, dharma and kaama seriously too!😊

Does that verse about pattini say that a good wife will forgive murder committed by her husband? That's what it sounds like -'marana bhool kshama daayathri'. If not, someone pls explain what this line means. I don't know sanskrit.

It is interesting that 95% of young people in India still believe in marriage arranged by parents/family. Not that it is wrong. But it is interesting!
Micron thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Thanks Sukhi...interesting article......Rakhi sawant and her swayamvar.......all the shows on TV surely deal with marriage😆......like we were discussing yesterday

"Our fixation with marriage is something... and TV channels are being smart in cashing in on that. "
Well put Rasika

Matchpoint .......love the movie😆
Edited by booosi - 15 years ago
ronitfan thumbnail
Here you go Rasika:

This sanskrit sloka from Hindu scriptures says that an ideal wife is the one who satisfies the following 6 criteria: - who acts like a servant-maid, in carrying out her duties in the household - who acts like an able minister in tendering appropriate advice to the husband - who appears with a pleasing demeanor like Goddess Mahalakshmi - who is patience incarnate like Mother earth - who showers affection like a mother - who fulfills conjugal desires of her husband
tvrasika thumbnail
If Rakhi ka swayamvar and Seeta aur Geeta get more people tuning into NDTV Imagine, it will eventually help Bandini😊 Selfish thought, I know... but Bandini is the best serial right now and all those who didn't see NDTV Imagine before may do so now...

Thanks Sukhi for that. I also got that online but what I am not able to find is WHICH scripture it is from?

Either Manu smriti or Kama sutra, is my guess. which will make it a verse 2000 years old. Will ask around...

Micron thumbnail
Nice information Sukhi....

"who acts like a servant-maid, in carrying out her duties in the household"

This one is just.......the other criteria atleast acceptable

wonder if they talk anything abt men😕
ronitfan thumbnail
LOOOOOOL

It's from Manu smriti Rasika ..

It IS demeaning to women ..
tvrasika thumbnail
That's what I mean Usha. I think the marriage vows do talk about a man's duties to his wife. It's just that TV serials seem to focus much more on what women should do, rather than what a man should do.

Which is why I am guessing Bandini will be different. DM has brains and he will surely think about what his commitments are towards Santo. I have no hopes on other serials!

tvrasika thumbnail

Originally posted by: ronitfan

LOOOOOOL

It's from Manu smriti Rasika ..

It IS demeaning to women ..

Oh.. you found it? Thought as much. And Manu being a man, I guess he conveniently forgot to mention qualities of a man. I don't know sanskrit. Or else  I wouldn't mind coining a verse meself😆
Micron thumbnail
It is Demeaning Sukhi....

agree 101% Rasika.....even in Bandini the only background shlokas we here are abt wife's responsibility....hope they start talikgn abt a husband's responsibility.....

i think we are so much in to SanRaj😍😆.....atleast me.... that I forgot how santu was being treated before Meghna's arrival....but for my brains and minds best interests😆 its better to forget and forgive....and DM is surely changing...just wish they start some background shlokas for husband DM now....would lovet that👍🏼