Spring-autumn marriages get popular : Bandini

ronitfan thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 15 years ago
Spring-autumn marriages gain popularity on small screen

New Delhi (IANS): The trend of older men marrying girls decades younger is fast catching the fancy of many TV serial makers. Be it just as a side track on hit serial Balika Vadhu or Bandini, or an entire soap on a marriage of convenience between an 18-year-old girl and a man over twice her age - the subject has become popular.

According to Purnendu Shekhar, the writer and brain behind Balika Vadhu, age-gap marriages do take place in Indian society and it is therefore relevant to show them through TV shows.

"Such marriages are not new to our society. It takes place in a lot of rural areas and small towns in the country. The basic perception is that even if the man is 60 years old, it doesn't make any difference to a marriage and sadly, this mentality prevails even today," Shekhar told IANS over phone from Mumbai.

While Balika Vadhu airs on Colors, Bandini is the top show of NDTV Imagine.

Shailja Kejriwal, creative content head at NDTV Imagine, says the channel decided to go ahead with Bandini for its "gripping and interesting storyline".

"Ekta Kapoor had approached us with this subject and it seemed extremely interesting. A poor, abandoned girl, stuck in a conspiracy and married (forcibly) - it made a good story. We never thought of going ahead with this show to rake the issue of such (age-gap) marriages," said Kejriwal.

"It's just a story rather than any depiction of a social issue. The female protagonist could well have been even 25 years old, but making her 18 made it more interesting," she added.

For Shekhar, including the track in Balika Vadhu was just an extension of the primary theme of child marriage in the popular series.

"The basic premise of Balika Vadhu is child marriage. But this sort of social issue is also a serious aspect of the main story.

"It is a very sensitive issue - there are a lot of emotional and psychological needs of a person and these differ for a young girl all of 17-18 years of age and for a man who may be even more than 35 years old. What such marriages lead to is what we have tried to show," he said.

According to Kejriwal, Bandini, launched in January, is the top rated show on the channel. While Balika Vadhu, which went on air last year in July, has become the USP of Colors and even helped it beat leading player STAR Plus in viewership last month.

For Neha Marda and Aasiya Kazi, the girls who play younger women married to much older men in Balika Vadhu and Bandini respectively, their roles seemed an attractive option as they were challenging.

"Initially I had refused to play this role because I couldn't relate with the character at all. We were showing an age difference of more than 40 years between the man and wife and that was odd. But gradually I've come to understand it better and I'm happy that I took up this challenge," 21-year-old Neha, who plays Gehna in Balika Vadhu, told IANS.

Aasiya, 17, too feels the same way.

"I gave auditions for this role without knowing too much about what I would be doing and got selected. When I was told about the story, it was not that I was apprehensive. In fact, I was very happy that I would get to do something new - a role that many girls of my age would not get to do. So I feel I was lucky," said Aasiya, who made her debut with Bandini in January.

The trend of older men marrying young girls is not restricted to rural areas and traditional families. There have been quite a few instances in the elite circles as well - Bollywood thespian Dilip Kumar married Saira Banu, who is 22 years younger than him.

Yesteryear's crime maestro Charles Sobhraj, veteran actor Kabir Bedi and British-Indian novelist Salman Rushdie too are known for marrying or dating girls decades younger.

The only difference is that celebrities do it willingly while the girls in villages are often forced to marry older men

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

tvrasika thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Good article. I hope it is more 'art reflecting life' and not 'life reflecting art'! I hope the audience understands that the main point of these stories is that such a vast age difference is actually very difficult to overcome, in real life. People should not assume that the success of these shows means that such marriages are o.k!

Aasiya Kazi seems smart for her age, to have understood the potential of playing this role!

But I am a bit disturbed with the fact that girls are shown to be married or engaged when they are just 18 or 20, in many TV serials, even among urban, educated girls. No one seems to be questioning whether that is not too soon! Take Kaddu. She is just 20. What would she know about marriage, let alone love?

ronitfan thumbnail
Hmmm yea in Bandini,

Kaduu is a little too young to get married .. but even today, in conservative families, girls get engaged in the final year of their graduate studies !
So it's not shocking per say .. it does happen with people belonging to conservative families where even boys get engaged at 22/23 !

But yes ...
People should not take such shows as examples .. lol
LoveStruck21 thumbnail
Heck I'm 20 and marriage is far far away from my mind. I mean, I can't even contemplate it. Every Indian soap that I have seen, the poor girls are hitched as soon as they graduate high school, that one show that my mom watched, Bebo on star plus the kid just turned eighteen and she is being hitched. I'm twenty and I live my life like an eighteen year old, I have FUN ( I know many of you will say just because the girl is getting married doesn't mean she is not having fun, but honestly folks, when your married you MARRIED, the FUN factor differs ). When I graduated from High School I was worried about college, and so were my parents, not my shaadi ka jora. It just makes me so angry when I watch some shows and they show it like its nothing, but it really is not acceptable. These girls should not be thrown  into marrige, even if they are willing and happy, because they should be giving the right to live their life and persue other things ohter then a life of domesticity. In the villages I understand, the lack of an education does not leave much room for anything else, but the educated familes? They don't have an excuse.

Sigh. I just get really worked up when I see such injustice. Boys and girls shoudl not be put into such a commitment at such young ages, I can't even see myself commit to my boyfriend and I love the guy, let alone a stranger (for arranged marriages).

Pari_Angle thumbnail
Thank's sukhi

well love is no age ......love is love .....kisi ko kabhi bhi kahi bhi ho sakta hein ......koi bhi age me ho sakta hein ......and Marriage any inidian girl  after 18 yr vo saadi kar sakti hein ........
tvrasika thumbnail

Originally posted by: tashmin

Heck I'm 20 and marriage is far far away from my mind. I mean, I can't even contemplate it. Every Indian soap that I have seen, the poor girls are hitched as soon as they graduate high school, that one show that my mom watched, Bebo on star plus the kid just turned eighteen and she is being hitched. I'm twenty and I live my life like an eighteen year old, I have FUN ( I know many of you will say just because the girl is getting married doesn't mean she is not having fun, but honestly folks, when your married you MARRIED, the FUN factor differs ). When I graduated from High School I was worried about college, and so were my parents, not my shaadi ka jora. It just makes me so angry when I watch some shows and they show it like its nothing, but it really is not acceptable. These girls should not be thrown  into marrige, even if they are willing and happy, because they should be giving the right to live their life and persue other things ohter then a life of domesticity. In the villages I understand, the lack of an education does not leave much room for anything else, but the educated familes? They don't have an excuse.

Sigh. I just get really worked up when I see such injustice. Boys and girls shoudl not be put into such a commitment at such young ages, I can't even see myself commit to my boyfriend and I love the guy, let alone a stranger (for arranged marriages).

Exactly... why can't we have at least one TV serial where someone questions/doubts whether a girl should be married when she is in college, and in her teens? That's not too much to ask!

Young people in urban, semi-urban areas, from educated background, fall in and out of love and go through so much before they understand the essence of marriage. That is a topic waiting to be serialised! And it will be a big hit, whenever it gets done!

ronitfan thumbnail
Wow that sure is a great idea for a new show and it really should explored..

Tash,

I am going to turn 20 this year and there are friends of mine where their parents have already told them that they are going to get married in another 2 years - when their engineering ends!

I was *shocked*

Thank God I have such lovely parents who will never rush me into marriage.. !
tvrasika thumbnail
Well... the fact that so many serials have heroines who are married very young, and who even look younger (That girl in Bebo looks like a child) can only mean that it is reality for many... whether such girls are in majority or minority is an interesting question. Don't know.

I only know Madras city well, and it is rare for a girl's family to be thinking of marrying her before she finishes a master's degree, or B.E, when she is 21. Because guys also want well-educated girls who can then get good jobs. So it's all related. May be this differs from state to state in India, community to community.

When I was in college in early '90s,  some girls in my class were engaged and got married soon after their UG. But even then it was looked on as too early.

ronitfan thumbnail
it DOES differ from community to community ..

I dont mean any offence ..
but there are some communities in India where the boys REJECT girls who are highly educated .. its' expected of a girl to just have basic education to support and sustain her kids .. I mean , to help them in their education - bass that's all !

Nor are they allowed to work nor behave normally before elders..
It's a sad situation but times are changing ..
Micron thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
nice article Sukhi......also if u look at all the current shows (Sabki Laadli, nanhi pari, balika, yeh rishtaa, even Kaddu in Bandini) its 18-20 years for ht leading girl and they are so tensed abt not finding a boy for her....no studies, carrier, independence noothing

I have seen many of my cousins get married when they barely turn 21......like Raika pointed out finish Under-grad and you are qualified for marriage.......