Posted: 14 years ago

GD Opinion of the Week.

KFC in the UK are having a trial at some stores introduing Halal KFC  

Your Opinions:

Do you think this is a good idea/bad idea? Why?
     Would Halal KFC generate a lot more business from the Asian community?
     Or would it fail?
     Do you think Halal Fast Food business' in these areas would lose customers to KFC?
     Was reading on the Facebook group that there are many people opposed to Hala KFC - To me this doesn't make sense - if you don't like it no one is forcing you to eat there?
    They claim the food is Not Halal - IMO I don't think a giant brand like KFC would introduce 'halal kfc' if it was NOT halal as afterall their reputation is at stake as well as their business of food is found not to be halal as they can be shut down/fined etc. I am sure it is, as they do have Halal McDonalds here too....and these people claimed the same thing.
  • Opponents claim this >

KFC Halal certification - statement of clarification

In the past few days HMC has been inundated with calls and e-mails relating to the new Halal status of some KFC outlets in London. Many have been confused and claimed that KFC has been certified by HMC.

1.     HMC has not certified any branch of KFC

2.     KFC has been certified by HFA (Halal Food Authority)

3.     There are clear differences in the Halal criteria employed by HMC and HFA

4.     Please refer to the LINK below that highlights the main differences

Plz check it, the table is really good but it wont copy/paste properly

Now what do you think?

GD DT

Edited by anon - 14 years ago
I'm pretty sure it's halal.
They have no reason to lie about it esp. cos it's only gonna be available in a few franches and probably more asian populated areas like bradford, some in manch/bham, somee london areas etc.
Most people I know who are muslim don't really care about whether HMC has declared it or not, they will eat it as long as they know it is halal. They do not bother researching it and what not to make sure it is really Halal and im pretty sure most British Asians do this too.

This is just a judgement from my local area though. Cos a huge majority is halal anyway cos they would lose business if it weren't.
^^^
Yeah thats what i feel, i mean they don't have a reason to lie about it and if they did then their own company is at stake.

The Link i provided shows the places, but of course only in areas which have a demand for it.

Yeah your right, no one cares who certifies it as long as they know/think its Halal.

However, its the minority that go over the top and start boycotting it like this Facebook group and the thing i copied/pasted. It gets on my nerves....they doubt everything! They did this over the Southall Mcdonald's Halal trial thing as well i just read....and few forum links as well i saw....I mean they have Halal everything in places like Dubai so why not here? If people eat it over there - do they really check if its certified? Well of course it is as well its the UAE and they'd get their heads chopped off but just an example😆
Well, there are a few Halal KFCs in the US as well, I think, and I think there is no reason why they would lie.

As said above, their company's reputation is at stake and it would go down the drain if they are caught.  Why would such a big corporation take such a huge risk? They would be at risk of getting sued if they are caught and maybe at the verge of closure.

I don't think they would lie about it.  And people have better things to do than lie about this small thing.  I think people sometimes are overly judgmental and they have to doubt everything.  If you don't believe it, then fine don't go and eat food from Halal KFC but if others believe them, then it's fine for them. I  think it's the matter of personal opinion.

Personally, I think the little more sales they will have due to Halal food would not be worth the risk of lying about it.  I am sure the head of KFC would know that, and it's not like Halal food is more expensive than regular meat.

-Mahi
Originally posted by anon

However, its the minority that go over the top and start boycotting it like this Facebook group and the thing i copied/pasted. It gets on my nerves....they doubt everything!

Great topic btw!

OMG...I saw that too...like WTH...it's strange because alot of people eat at Nando's if they think it's halal even without checking the certificate to confirm it. Why the uproar against these McD's and KFC?

Everyone's pretty much said what I thought too...but anyway...in areas densely populated by the asian community...it should pretty much be a hit. I always have friends craving for KFC after they return from Pakistan or The UAE...😆
I think its a cool idea.   Its not unlike Kosher food really.  They are trying to reach a new segment of the population and if you dont like it, well dont eat it.  
There is no harm in the food being halal. Halal just means to recite bismillah before slaughtering the chicken and the animal's throat has to be cut by a knife very gently at a certain place as it would cause minimum pain to the animal. There are a few animals which are not permitted, they are also not halal.

I hope i clarified what halal actually is and now if u read the table again u will understand why ppl are against KFCs being certified by HFA.

Every food is halal...when you pray n thank to god before eat!
  •  Do you think this is a good idea/bad idea? Why?

I think it's a good idea .. ppl who eat all types of meat (whether halal or not) wouldn't have a prob .. it will benefit halal meat eaters and wont affect others .. so y not.

•  Would Halal KFC generate a lot more business from the Asian community?
  •  Or would it fail?

I don't think it would fail .. n yes business would surely rise, esp from halal meat eaters.

•  Do you think Halal Fast Food business' in these areas would lose customers to KFC?

Only lose customers who eat halal meat

•  Was reading on the Facebook group that there are many people opposed to Hala KFC - To me this doesn't make sense - if you don't like it no one is forcing you to eat there?

I totally agree .. although I m not a muslim, I don't mind eating halal meat.

• They claim the food is Not Halal - IMO I don't think a giant brand like KFC would introduce 'halal kfc' if it was NOT halal as afterall their reputation is at stake as well as their business of food is found not to be halal as they can be shut down/fined etc. I am sure it is, as they do have Halal McDonalds here too....and these people claimed the same thing.

Yes agreed, no large business would make false claims .. if they say its halal then m sure it is

awesome topic. I don't get why would anyone oppose it. The food is not going to taste any different. I think this way they are getting a whole new group of customers. That is cool. I wish they had a halal KFC, Mc donalds , Chinese where I live.