ARTICLE: Still showing you the money!

ronitfan thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 15 years ago

Still Showing You The Money

With the end of the K-soaps is Indian television on the verge of becoming socially relevant? PRAGYA TIWARI analyses

AMERICA IS going through a renaissance of television where its best minds have turned to creating shows such as Mad Men, The Wire, Entourage, Battlestar Galactica and Six Feet Under. People who once took pride in not possessing a television now take pride in being addicted to these shows. India may be miles away from any such dream but some of us are newly willing to admit we watch desi television. The saas bahu shows are not all dead but Indian television may be taking itself a little seriously again.

For a decade our shows have been built around slender premises. Plots and writers didn't matter. Two years ago I was invited to write a new show. The brief went: "We will set the show in UP. We will run it for a few weeks as a drama, if it does not work then we can turn it into a comedy." The newer shows, such as the popular Balika Vadhu, are not as subject to absurd diversions. We are no longer required to deal with characters who are 300 years old. (Some of those shows seemed to be secretly written for stoners.) It might be too much to say our television is intelligent again. But we can ease up on the suspension of disbelief a little.

Hope came with the arrival of NDTV Imagine and Colors. Look at one of NDTV Imagine's popular shows. Radha Ki Betiyaan Kuch Kar Dikhayengi tells the story of a woman and her four daughters who move from Meerut to Mumbai. Their story is breezy and romantic but moving and grounded, nonetheless. The eldest daughter is underpaid but needs the job. Another sister is brilliant but struggles with English.

The big shift is the return to values. The K-shows were right-wing and regressive but morally ambiguous. As cynically as Kapoor set up male characters as eye candy, the narratives worked through frequently violent wish-fulfillment. In the short time since capitalisation has come home to the idiot box, good storytelling like Star Bestsellers have been anomalies. But giving marketing control over creativity is the price the industry pays for its scale — its own magazines, massive followings, stars, publicity and ads. It' s the only way in which it could become an industry parallel to Bollywood — unimaginable in Doordarshan days.

Many of the Doordarshan shows we remember loving are enhanced in retrospect by virtue of nostalgia. But what Doordarshan did well was emphasise storytelling. We did not have mothers killing their sons because TRPs were low that quarter. Each show had the stamp of the writer and did not attempt to satisfy everyone with a mass-product feel. You had modern romances like Kashish and Nupur, you also had the complex historicals like Mriganayani. I was first introduced to great Hindi literature through Ek Kahani. Bharat Ek Khoj, Byomkesh Bakshi and Mr Yogi — diversity could be taken for granted.

To understand how much today's channels can interfere with production look at producers Tony and Deeya Singh's record. They produced a good show like Banegi Apni Baat for Zee, the mediocre Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahin for Sony, some terrible shows in the worst years of television programming and now are making Radha ki Betiyan. The only variable factor is the channel. Channels tend to operate like the Hollywood studios of yore. Everything is replaceable but profit. Little autonomy is given to the story-tellers and the universal solution has been to desperately manipulate audiences. After the arrival of Ekta Kapoor everyone followed her winning formula. Content may have gotten a new lease of life, but it's certainly not bringing along a different-strokes-for-different-folks approach yet. Many new shows probe women's real concerns but Ekta Kapoor's legacy is still in place. Plots are still bent to accommodate the marketing of new Bollywood releases. Post Balika, channels deduced that the 'sensitive portrayal of victimisation of women' and 'specific settings' are hot, and girl child lament serials like Bandini, Laado and Uttaran were splashed across hoardings. Eating watered down gravy with universalised taste is an intrinsic part of the Mumbai eating-out experience. The television industry in Andheri dishes out what it orders in.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Pari_Angle thumbnail
Thank u sukhi for this article ........good and nice.......but i don't understand why people saying this santu is child .....she is young girl not a child...always compare with balika vadhu
ronitfan thumbnail
LOOL

yea she is not balika vadhu
hahahha
.Angel thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Santo is Santo and the balika vadhu ppl are the balika vadhu  ppl, so give it up and stop looking way to pull Ekta down, Santo is not a child....uffffffffffffff

thanks a lot Sukhi ji😊
-Imu.M- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Reserved !

-Edited !

Just Because Balika Badhu has been able to Top in the TRP Chart For a while does it mean it will never Sink?

Well Bandini has not Similarities with the show at all, Xcept that is a Gujju Family but does that Matter ?
You Know sometime this Articles really irritates me a lot, Just Because Ekta's Saab Bahu Shows arent working anymore people are turning their back on her but these saas bahu shows were like the Jaan Of television, People couldnt Sleep without watching a Episode and So ..

I Admire Ekta a Lot,
When she came out with Bandini i was shocked like What can she do something Like this ??

Guddi is right, This show will defo be Number 1 Soon
Jab Dekho Koi Na Koi Iski Baat Karte Hai

They taunt her saying she is Copying but They can't resist either Right ??

Edited by Imran94 - 15 years ago
tvrasika thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Thanks for the article Sukhi. Can you give the source?

I too feel Bandini is not on the same lines as Balika Vadhu, but it does seem like the woman as 'daughter' is now in fashion, not woman as 'daughter-in-law'. But I don't think the values shown have changed much. Take Choti Bahu, the most popular serial on Zee taken by the same people who do Radha ki betiyan. Watching Choti Bahu, you would think you are watching a late 40s or 50s Hindi film! It does not seem to have any connection to today's India, whether urban or small town.

Bandini is a bit refreshing compared to all other shows. Wish television producers made more meaningful serials, serials that will capture the changing India.  In most serials there is no reference to what is going on in the outside world. The characters do not seem to watch TV, discuss cinema or listen to radio. They sometimes seem to have a newspaper in hand but do not discuss anything.

Since RR seems to be an intelligent director, may be he can make a difference in Bandini. How about starting a girl's school in Dharampur? 😊 It is not right that a place just 35 kms away from Surat has girls like Santo who can't read and write.
prerna4rishav thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
LOL....Santu's voice is kiddo types😳😳But she's not a kid hehe😆

Waise it's awesummmmmmm to see everywhere Bandini's being mentioned😳it's gonna be most popular wait and watch☺️
ronitfan thumbnail
I got this article from Tehelka.com , Rasika ..

And you are right,
Bandini has no similarities to Balika Vadhu and none as well to the Gehna-Basant
subtrack shown because that is diametrically
opposite to what is shown in Bandini ..
in this show, DM uses a mobile phone, sends his kids on world-tours, makes
business deals in Antwerp .. and runs a diamond works single-handedly ..

Yes the whole panchayat giving capital punishment was out of place .. but
yes this show can make a difference!
tvrasika thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Thanks again...

Yes, u r right. There is some mention of the outside world in Bandini. I admit. The scene where Hiten sells flowerpots and realises how little profit such people make was good. I also liked the scene where Santo struggles with medicines and does not know which one to give. I am sure it communicated to many people how useful it would be if a woman knew at least enough to read labels on medicines.

Like other 'laadli' serials, may be RR/BT could have capitalised on 'Laadli' week and done their bit to raise awareness about issues that women like Santo face- illiteracy, caste discrimination etc... but anyway, am just grateful we have one sensible serial to watch.
ronitfan thumbnail
yes the ghastly perils of being un-educated have been shown more than once. . if there was one well-educated guy in Dharampur, he would have married Khemi despite her being a manglik ... education opens minds..and defeats prejudices.. which makes me think that Moti-ben isnt even a 5-th grade pass!