Sagars sources for Gurmi Ramayan

Khalrika thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Dr. Raghavan and other scholars note that later authors of the Ramayan were heavily influenced by the Bhagavata purana and therefore they had Rama doing Krishna like things. In fact, he traces the similarities between Adhyatma Ramayan and Bhagavat Gita.

Okay, Sagars have relied heavily on Ananda Ramayan, Adhyatma, and other version or modifications of these versions. I say modifications because they have sometimes changed the stories in Ananda Ramayan to suit their purpose.

Sagars Adhyatma Ramayana influences:

1. Agni giving Payasa directly to Dashrath

2. Kausalya and Kaikeye got half and they shared a little bit with Sumitra which is why Lakshman went with Ramji and Shatrughan with Bharat. Also, the night of the birth when Vishnu comes to give darshan to Kausalya mata and telling her that she was Aditi in the previous birth.

3. Visvamitra asking Dashrath to consult with Vasisht before sending Ram and Lakshman with him. Sagars show Visvamitra consulting Vasisht directly before asking Dashrath for Ram and Lakshman.

4. Tataka going to heaven after death.

5. Kevat story. Only Kevat story in Adhyatma happens when Rama is going with Visvamitra. The Sagars show that as happening when he is going on Vanvas with Sita.

5.a. Vashisht telling Bharata and others not to grieve and giving a discourse on atma after Dasharath's death.

6. Shabari telling Rama that he needs to befriend Sugriva is also in Adhyatma Ramayana.

7. Hanuman asking Ravan to surrender to Ram because he is Narayana.

8. Vibishna as a Ram Bhakth even before he meets Rama.

9. Did the Sagars show Rama's arrow hitting Ravan's crown even before war (after Ramji has come to Lanka)? This episode is from Adhyatma Ramayan.

10. Vibishna taking Lakshman to the Indrajeet's Nikumbala yagna saying only a person who has not slept for 12 years can kill Indrajeet. This is not found in Valmiki (Lakshman not sleeping for 12 years episode) but in Adhyatma Ramayan.

11. Rama cutting off Ravan's head and they growing back again, Vibishna advising Rama to hit him on the navel are all found in Adhyatma Ramayan.

12. Chandra, I think this is where the Sagars got the inspiration for Sita's decision to leave the palace when the people gossip about her. In Adhyatma Ramayan, the devas decide it is time for Rama to leave the earth for Vaikunt. So they approach Sita and tell her. Rama comes to know about this and decides to create the gossip episodes to hasten the end of the avatar.

The Sagars have also used the general theme of Adhyatma Ramayana when they show Ram giving darshan as Vishnuji to many many people. It looks like Tulsidasji has also followed some aspects of Adhyatma Ramayan in Tulsi Ramayan.
Edited by Khalrika - 15 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Khalrika thumbnail
Sagars Ananda Ramayan Influences:

1. Kaikeye putting her finger in the wheel as an axle when Dashrath is fighting Asuras and Dashrath gives her 2 boons for that. The Sagars showed this episode as Dashrath fighting Ravan and Kaikeye putting her finger in the wheel as an axle.

2. The Shiv Danush is closely linked with Parasurama. Sagars show coming Parasurama coming to check on the dhanush when Sita is a child.

3. Sita lifting the Shiv Dhanush as a child.

4. Sita praying during the Swayamvar for Rama's success when lifting the bow.

5. A very detailed description of the marriage celebrations is from Ananda Ramayan.

6. Rama and the brothers fight with the rival kings, Bharata being injured, and the herbs being brought from Rishi Mudgala is also from Ananda Ramayan.

7. Palmist predicting forest life for Sita

8. Kaikeye asking forgiveness in Chitrakuta.

9. Surphanaka's son Samba killed by Lakshman

10. Surphanaka is infurated and comes in search of Rama and Lakshmana. This is also supposedly found in Jain scripture.

11. Lakshman rekha is from Ananda Ramayan

12. Indra giving Sita payasa in the Ashoka vana

More coming for Sagars Ananda Ramayan influences.
Khalrika thumbnail
More of Sagars Ananda Ramayan Influences:

14. Writing the name 'Rama' on the stones to build the Sethu.

15. Jambavan saying Hanuman is an part of Shiva. This is there in the 'Jai Hanuman' song.

16. Ahi and Mahi episodes

17. Indrajit performing Nikumbala yagna in the underground cave.

18. Indrajit's hand falling in Ravana's palace is found in Ananda Ramayan.

19. Hanuman bringing the Shiva ling, being late, and Rama building one with sand, Hanuman getting angry with Ramji for not waiting, Hanuman's ahankar brought down by Ramji is actually found in Ananda Ramayan.

20. Rama takes as many forms as there are people and embraces them.

More to come.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Wow! Thanks for this info Khalrika!πŸ€— You're just bursting with knowledge these days, aren't you?πŸ˜†πŸ˜› 
Khalrika thumbnail

21. Ravan cutting his head 10 times to please Lord Shiva

22. Ravan being cursed by Nandi that he will be destroyed by monkeys.

23. Ravan getting curses from many women that a woman will be the cause of his death.

24. Rama's oath of one wife, one word, and one arrow.

25. Sita, when coming back after the vanvas, going to pray to Ganga as she had prayed she would do so if the vanvas was completed successfully.

26. Chandra, Sita going away on her own to Valmiki ashram is also inspired by Ananda Ramayan.

27. Ramji coming secretly to see the birth of his sons at Valmiki ashram. The Sagars modified it to Vishnuji.

28. Kusa is protected by the attack of spirits by Ram japa. Is this what the Sagars on hinting at in today's episode (March 8th 2009)?

More to come.
Khalrika thumbnail

29. Birth of 2 sons each to the brothers and all of them growing up and playing together.

30. Siva and Rama being one and the same.

31. Breaking of pots by Ramji like Krishna. The Sagars have modified it to Lav doing this mischief.

Chandra, there is no mention of the snake story in the books that I read until now. I have not read all the books yet. There is also regional Ramayans and oral traditions to consider.

But in Ananda Ramayan, Lava is seen as the bolder one and I think the Sagars are following that.
Khalrika thumbnail

Originally posted by: _LalithaJanaki_

Wow! Thanks for this info Khalrika!πŸ€— You're just bursting with knowledge these days, aren't you?πŸ˜†πŸ˜› 

Kya Karoon? Chandra gives me assignments every day. "Khalrika, where does this episode, the Sagars are showing, come from?" πŸ˜†
Same108 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
WOW!! Thank you, Khalrika!! It's priceless!
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Thanks, Khalrika, for submitting today's homework assignmentπŸ˜† Won't ask anything today, maybe a take-home test over the weekend (just kidding)πŸ˜†

Incidentally, like US skyscrapers that never have a 13th floor, do you also skip point 13 while making lists?πŸ˜†

rupalip thumbnail
Thanku so much Pankania di
great work by you
daily
DI  I heard u after all ur duties wld opt a type of sanyas
and read scriptures and rest all sanyas type work

I have a request
Plz take me with u too...

EVen I  love reading scriptures ...
but yes
then I know