"Ronit's impressive as director" - EKTA

ronitfan thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 15 years ago
Her new show begins with a K but has nothing to do with kitchen politics. Rather, it aims to send shivers down many a spine with real life stories. Ekta Kapoor admits to Rachana Dubey that she's spooked too.

Hello.
(Smiles) Hi.. have we met before?

Kind of, I'm your Facebook pal.
(Lights up) Of course.. now I remember. You look much younger without your glasses.The slowdown has affected me also. (Pointing at her clothes) Look at me, I've started wearing Fab India clothes.

Thank you. How does your throat feel now?
Oh, I'm still sounding like a cross between Manoj Kumar and Nirupa Roy. But I'm better, thank you.

You were asking for Vicks on your Facebook status message.
Yeah, and some friends thought I was looking for a hot dude. I must give it the few, who realised I meant Vicks, the medicine.

You're very updated on Facebook.
Ha, ha, I'm a Facebook queen of sorts. It's become an obsession of sorts with me. Just like horror.. I love spooky stories.

Is that why you decided to make Koi Aane Ko Hai for Colors?
I don't go for channels, my association is with people. I made this show for Colors because of Ashwini (Yardi), who is the
programming chief. I've known Ash for a fairly long time. We worked on Kasamh Se together.

You haven't been lucky with spooky shows..
(Cuts in) On the contrary, two of the most successful spooky shows on TV — Maano Ya Na Maano and Kya Haadsa Kya Haqeeqat —were my productions.

But this show doesn't have the Balaji Telefilms feel.
These stories are based on real-life incidents. That's why we've not shot at any of the usual Balaji's locations. Effect of making Koi Aane Ko Hai: I can no longer sleep alone in my room. I return from work at odd hours and make my poor maid sleep in my room.

We shot in Lonavla and Mira Road at actual locations. We haven't even used any of Balaji's actors.. we have taken common faces.

Did any of the stories spook you?
I can no longer sleep alone in my room. I return from work at odd hours and make my poor maid sleep in my room.

After the first promo went on air, I've been feeling really eerie. Paranormal activities happen all around us but we notice them only when something happens up close.

But viewers expected a family drama from you, not a spookfest.
I might just make a family soap for Colors next.

You've kept a low profile for the last couple of months.
(Laughs) I was on a mental sabbatical. Physically, I don't know when I will go on a vacation.. it's been eight busy years. But
mentally, I just took off. I'm dying to go to Barcelona.. mind and body.

How come Ronit Roy is directing Bandini for you?
He's really impressive as a director. It was a spontaneous decision.. he didn't let me down.

How are Bandini and Kitani Mohabbat Hai doing?
One is the No 1 show on NDTV Imagine, the other one is No 3. Ramayan is at No 2. Expect more announcements.

With Bandini, you switched from K to B.
Dude, I switched to T in between with Tujh Sang Preet Lagayi Sajna. I'm obsessed with K.

K follows me everywhere. I can't help it, it works for me. I was told by the channel that the title I'd suggested wasn't working.. that Bandini was a more apt title. It couldn't be Kandini, so..With Tujh Sang.. we were working on an extremely tight schedule. We had just three weeks to get the show going. My creative team came up with the name. I consulted my astrologer and he assured me it was a shubh title.

Isn't Tujh Sang.. going off air?
Nope, it's only been shifted to the afternoon slot. There are a certain number of hours for which I have to provide content as per my
contract with STAR.

Three of your longest running shows, Kasamh Se, Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu thi and Kahani Ghar Ghar ki, went off air in this accounting year. You must have suffered acute parting pangs?
I did, it happens with every show that ends. With Kyunki.. the pangs were more because I was really attached to it. It will go down in history as my longest-running show.

I have an emotional connect with Kasamh Se also for two reasons. The first reason is Ashwini, who gave me the most amazing twist to my story. In the original draft, there was no provision for Jai and Bani to marry.

Ash called me one morning and gave the idea. I didn't respond immediately.. I agreed after 30 seconds. The reason was that I was doing my morning pooja. When she called, some ash and a flower from the statue fell on me. It was a signal from God that something good was coming my way. The rest, as they say, is history.

And the other reason?
The other reason is that for once we told the channel that we want to end the show.. it wasn't proposed to us. We knew we could not stretch the story any further and gave it a happy farewell. It will always bring back pleasant memories.

Have you been following Ram Kapoor on Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 3?
Yeah, I saw him on the first episode. I think that fat people are naturally graceful. He looks so cute. And it's commendable the way he dances with all that weight. I think he'll win.

Recently, when your dad, Jeetendra, was judging Dancing Queen, he was criticised for favouring Anita Hassanandani?
How many times will my father's decisions as a judge be under the scanner? Just because I have friends in a channel and an old
colleague was a participant on the show, doesn't mean that my father will make biased decisions on national television.

You were extremely passionate about Kahaani Hamaarey Mahabharat ki on 9X.
It's a distant memory now. I couldn't do anything about the show ending so abruptly, the channel itself ran into troubled waters. It shut shop and started having re-runs. I was helpless.

Kids rule the tube. What would you have watched if you were a kid today?
Definitely, Balika Vadhu. It's one of the nicest shows I've seen. I'll hate Ash for the rest of my life because my mother watches that show more keenly than she ever watched any of my shows.. she even watches the re-runs.

You're making a film on the TV industry inspired by the recent murder of one of your former colleagues, Neeraj Grover. That project is under wraps, I can't tell you much except that it will not be directed by Madhur Bhandarkar. I will rope in someone with a TV background. The subject matter is as shocking as the person who will direct it.

When does Once Upon a Time in Mumbai go on the floors?
This May, I'm really excited.

You're making movies when most companies are stopping production owing to the economic slowdown.
The slowdown has affected me also. (Pointing at her clothes) Look at me, I've started wearing Fab India clothes. A newspaper is so obsessed with my footwear that they published five pictures of me wearing the same pair of slippers. (Sarcastically) Listen, I don't have money now. So I get a roadside mochi to make me a pair of slippers once a year.

Finally, your Facebook account was hacked recently. Did you find out how it happened?
No, it's unheard of that anyone's Facebook account gets hacked. What kind of losers do we have around today?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Pari_Angle thumbnail
wow sukhi very good thank's .....u r always doing good job .......keep it up👍🏼
soapie thumbnail
Thanks for the interesting interview, Sukhs!

When Ekta was ruling the Telly, then I used to be forever irritated by her and abusing all her shows...now when I turn on Star Plus...I miss her shows so much...😭

Whatever they might have been, there was something addictive about Balaji Telefilms shows and without them, Star Plus is all pheeka-pheeka! All the shows revolve around marriages!😕 The passion that was the hallmark of all BT soaps is missing from these other shows, who otherwise might be good on their own!

Even though Bandini is very different from all of BT's previous shows, it still has the unique Ekta touch and I love that aspect of it!

Good to know that Malik Babu has debuted as a director and is doing a great job of it! But I just can't imagine how on earth this guy manages to multi-task so many things...his own security business, his acting and stage show career and now a director too!

Kudos to RR for being so multi-faceted and doing well in all aspects! He sure is a role model for a lot of people!⭐️

Soapie
~Wicked~ thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I never had any doubt. He will give it his 100%, just like he does to his acting or any other thing he takes on. His dedication, honest hard work and his talent can only take him up, up and awayyyyyyyy😆..........even sky is not the limit here😊.
ronitfan thumbnail
Soapie,

I cant tell you how much I agree with that but that is just SO TRUE!
There used to be that quirkiness in all the BT shows that SP aired .. now the shows are lame and too sugary sweet to be true .. I love the EK factor in bandini too ..

aakhir kaal - EK is EK!
hahahhhaa lame one liner ...

But yea , like Tabs said - hats off to the man!
JasminBhasinFan thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Thanks for sharing!
Like her kind of honest replies......
ronitfan thumbnail
yea she sure is FRANK!  haahaha
gawker thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: soapie

Thanks for the interesting interview, Sukhs!

When Ekta was ruling the Telly, then I used to be forever irritated by her and abusing all her shows...now when I turn on Star Plus...I miss her shows so much...😭

Whatever they might have been, there was something addictive about Balaji Telefilms shows and without them, Star Plus is all pheeka-pheeka! All the shows revolve around marriages!😕 The passion that was the hallmark of all BT soaps is missing from these other shows, who otherwise might be good on their own!

Even though Bandini is very different from all of BT's previous shows, it still has the unique Ekta touch and I love that aspect of it!

Soapie

That is so true. after being tortured by kayamath, i swore off bt serials, only to find myself following bandini. my first drug was KAA. Ekta has a true talent for creating wonderful relationships onscreen. with characters that entertain and capture your heart. i take so much crap from bt just to be witness to these wonderful onscreen jodis. the current crop of high trp sp serials is pretty much kiddie stuff in comparison.
Edited by gawker - 15 years ago
soapie thumbnail
@Sukhi & Gawker,

The current trend on SP is just a passing phase...they are totally overdoing the 'bharatiya sanskar and parampara' bit and frankly, if you look at their current shows, there is not much of a story or even screen-play in place, its just a concept in place and they are dazzling the viewers with the sets, costumes ect!

The highlight of Ekta's soaps have been (a) Its amazing range of talented and good-looking actors! I mean where does one even start counting their names! All the television super-stars of today are Balaji protegees! The newcomers introduced by other shows are not even a patch on the likes of RR / Shabbir / Rajeev Khandelwal / Ram Kapoor / Harshad Chopra / Iqbal Khan / Ejaz Khan / Shweta Tiwari / Smriti Irani / Saakshi Tanwar ./ Prachi Desai / Pancchi Bora / Aamna Sharif / Sanjida  and so, so, so many other wonderful finds!

(b) The best loved love stories on television have all been Balaji productions! Right from KZK till, Kayamath, Kasamh Se, Kahin Toh Hoga, Kasturi, Kis Des Mein Hain Mera Dil and so many more! No one presents passion and romance the way Ekta does! Their lead stars have to just look at each other and Wow...chemistry everywhere!

(c) Drama! Alright, so Ekta overdid this a bit. But what is the point of a daily soap, if it doesnt' give you something to look forward to? Every episode of BT shows ended with the viewer eagerly awaiting the next one! Nothing like that in the current crop of non-BT shows...even if you skip one week and watch it, you will know exactly what to expect!

The biggest problem with Ekta was that she got extremely repetitive in the recent past and there was way too many twists and turns in all her shows! With Bandini, she has got her groove back and I really want to see her coming back just like old times!

Soapie
GoGreen thumbnail
Agree with you sophie and Gwaker.

i was missing my favorite jodi like anything....

Ektha serials r very very addictive...as sophie told there was passion in the love stories and stories two were so gripping with twiss and plots.

now i deserted SP ...