Shiv Pandit: "Unafraid of challenges"

ronitfan thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 15 years ago
Unafraid of challenges

Television anchor Shiv Pandit tells Srabanti chakrabarti that acting in his latest Tamil film 'Leelai' was a major challenge because of the language barrier.

Reality shows seem to be the latest punching bag for most critics today. They are not producing the talent they promised, they are rigged, they over dramatise simple things — there are plenty of allegations against reality shows — the unlikely successor of saas-bahu soaps in terms of TRP ratings.

However, there is no denying the fact that it has given rise to a whole new career of hosting these shows, and most of the erstwhile participants (Meiyang Chang, Rahul Vaidya, Debojit Saha et al) are making full use of it. Apart from these fresh faces, veterans like Aman Verma, Mini Mathur, Mandira Bedi have also been hosting these shows to add to the glamour quotient and also to stay in the limelight. The latest addition to this list is RJ turned-cricket-commentator-turned-Tamil-film-hero-turned-reality-show-host Shiv Pandit.

Before you start wondering why the name rings a bell, let me tell you that Pandit was one of the most popular hosts of last year's IPL tournament and shot to fame with his casual yet insightful comments. This year, he is being seen on Sony, hosting its popular dance-based reality show Jhalak Dikhlaa Jaa. But why suddenly a reality show? "To be very honest, this offer came my way without me having to try for it. And Jhalak Dikhlaa Jaa being such a popular show there was no reason for me to say no," explains the host who is back on television after IPL and a stint in the serial FIR.

Pandit is co-hosting the show with television glam-doll Shweta Tiwari, known for her tantrums on the sets. Is it difficult working with someone like her? "Let me clarify that I have had no problem with her till now. We have had a very good working relationship and there is no reason why it should not continue," says Pandit with a smile. He adds, while discussing the topic of stars throwing tantrums on sets, "One advantage of working with me is that I am very thick skinned. I do not care if someone talks to me on the sets or not. I guess all of us are in this for professional reasons and as long as that is maintained I am fine."

Shiv Pandit has also been in the news for his Tamil film Leelai. The film, produced under the banner of Oscar Films and directed by V Ravichandran has been one of the most talked about Tamil movies in the recent past. Pandit is playing the male lead in the movie opposite Manasi Parekh of 'India Calling' fame.  "Leelai is a romantic comedy where I play the role of a guy who takes every one for granted till the time he meets his lady love (being played by Manasi) in office. The film is about how his life changes after that," informs Pandit who refuses to divulge anything more.

But wasn't it difficult for him to work in a Tamil film? "It was very difficult. Particularly the language barrier. It was one of the biggest obstacles I had to overcome. I remember when everyone else would take a break during the shooting, I would sit in my area and mug up dialogues for the next shot!" he admits.