ARTICLE : Rustic Routes ..

ronitfan thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 15 years ago
roducers ditch cities for picturesque rural locales as backdrop

Some time ago, television soaps were all about larger than life settings in metropolitan cities, chandeliers hanging atop huge mansions, make-up laden daughters-in-law doing household chores, mothers-in-law sauntering around the house in heavily embroidered saris and a host of BMWs and Mercedes' lined outside their bungalows. With the domestic sagas being ousted from public taste and primetime slots, producers are now resorting to newer ways and fresher locales to boost their TRPs. From the outskirts of Gujarat to tiny villages in Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh and Punjab, television producers are now busy finding their spot in the sun.

When the cast and crew of Sapna Babul Ka...Bidaai on Star Plus first moved to the outskirts of Agra and the actors were filmed in horse-drawn carriages and hand-carts, everyone termed it as "down-market," recalls Rajan Shahi, the show's producer. "But the script demanded a smaller town and the simplicity of characters had to come across. Moreover, I always believed that small-towners are more honest about their lives and livelihood," says Shahi.

The boosting TRPs of Bidaai encouraged him further to shoot his next, Ek Rishta, in Udaipur. "Metropolitan life is very cosmetic and the characters are not really identifiable. We wanted to bring real people to the forefront," he says simplistically.

While most directors have made a conscious effort to move to rural set-ups; for Purnendu Shekhar, writer of Balika Vadhu on Colors, it was an automatic choice.

"Child marriage is an ill plaguing most regions of Rajasthan. After a lot of research, we decided on a place called Kherjala near Udaipur. By setting the serial here we wanted to involve the people of the village and thereby curb the practice if possible," says Shekhar.

Shooting in village set-ups has been a different ball game for the actors too. For newcomer Asiya, who plays the lead role in Bandini on NDTV Imagine, shooting in a village is more demanding but also fun. "There is no electricity, no mobile phones and getting your logistics in place is quite a hassle. You are living away from your home for a long schedule and getting in touch with them becomes difficult," she says, adding, "But there is a bright side to it also. The focus is on simplicity and so one can avoid wearing heavy jewellery and elaborate costumes. In a village, people treat you like their guests and make you feel really comfortable."

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

~Wicked~ thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Thanks Suks,

I love every minute of my time spent in my village. I know that there is the issue with electricity, mobiles.....etc, but, somehow the absence of mordanism adds to the charm and magic of village life. The people are so  full of love............The night sky, the morning fog, the dusk over the golden paddy fields, hundreds of parrots flying wild, fishes like slivers of silver.....all breath taking.

soapie thumbnail
These guys actually shot in a Village?😲 No wonder the scenes look so realistic, especially the starting episodes!

I saw that Zoom Video yesterday and laughed out so much when Aasiya gives a comment for Ronit, 'He's nice...'😆😆 She is so cute!

Thanks for the article!

Soapie
ronitfan thumbnail
@ Tabs -

Same here .. when I went to my village as a teen .. I was so smitten by the slow pace and the quality of living .. for me quality is being able to have lunch and dinner with your family with no one having any IMPORTANT work to do .. that's the best part .. village life is so high on quality!!!

@ Soapie -

I tell you na .. she has a MAHA crush on RR !!

LOL
mombasa00 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Sounds like fun...how exciting.  I love villages.

And so true, ppl there are always so welcoming and cheerful lot. Love them.
aasighazi thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
omg, that's my name too! aasiyah - wow. I spell it this way and the way the article also spells it.
ronitfan thumbnail
Wow!

Welcome to the gang, Aasiya!
.Angel thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
thank u so much sukhs ji :DD