Is Slumdog a Indian Film? - Page 4

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 15 years ago

Mr. Bachchan should be signed for Pink Panther 3 with his DIL. After all a miniscule role in a Hollywood film is far better than a Film based on/in India by a Westerner.

Ts..tsk..someone is miffed that his cold war rival was called to present SDM at GG awards and also he wasn't even approached for host's role in the film.

Mr. Bachchan should watch more Hollywood movies to find out that they aren't ashamed of their dark areas. That's why we have films like Crash.

There is more to Mumbai than Malabar Hills. Our Chopras and Johars are making enough films on posh areas of Mumbai.
Maya maiyya, happy birthday to you!

May be that scene, where it appears he gave autograph to a l'il boy all covered in sh*t, did not go down well with Mr. Bachhan😆  I thought that scene brilliantly portrays his stardom and craze.  But who knows what Big B is thinking😆

Originally posted by: bheegi

Slumdog is  movie

Made by the West

For the West

About the East

Perfectly true!!!!!! they are the ones who want to see or rather say ONLY this aspect of India. We indians suffer from it every day and really dont find any entertainment in this type of movie highlighting " Bhuke nange bacche" for India. Oh yes, also elephants and snake charmers.
bheegi thumbnail

Originally posted by: jasmine_triv

If this was an 'Indian film' it probably wouldn't receive the critical acclaim it has, without all the publicity and financial backing of the western production houses.

I agree 100%. This movie is a rage in the west because it was directed, financed and marketed by a westerner. Remember 'Gandhi?'- it received so much critical acclaim because it was Richard Attenborough's movie with Ben Kingsley as the main star? Has anyone in the west ever heard of 'Bhagat singh' or "gandhi my father' -movies which were also very well made with Indian history as the background.

If Slumdog had been made by an Indian, I bet it would never have received so much acclaim or fame- definitely not the GGs or Oscars(i am keeping my fingers crossed there)
Edited by bheegi - 15 years ago
👏Totally agree with AB . really dont understand this meatality of people there no matter what u do the only thing they knw is to belive wht predudice they have deep rooted in their mind.
Infact i was even more stunned when leaving movies like a wednesday ye hai mumbai meri jaan and hundreds other they have asked for the script of kismat connetion in their libraby. WOW!!!!!
Agreed Disleyia is not new to those people but its not just abt that the main aspect of message abt TZP was all children are equal and sld be treated well. But i guess all they can understand abt indian children is wearing rags and begging for food.🤢

If this was an 'Indian film' it probably wouldn't receive the critical acclaim it has, without all the publicity and financial backing of the western production houses. Although it has to be said that on winning awards Danny Boyle, the director, and A R Rahman also thanked 'the billion people of India'.

i can understand the director saying this but AR rehman?

Amitabh Bachan has written on his blog: "Slumdog Millionaire projects India as Third World dirty underbelly developing nation and causes pain and disgust among nationalists and patriots, let it be known that a murky underbelly exists and thrives even in the most developed nations". So although at the moment there is a lot of hype about people claiming the film as Indian, I'm sure there will be a lot of mixed feelings on the portrayal of India once the film has released.

Originally posted by: Gauri_3

Does Mr. Bachchan think all western award winning movies project ONLY the best in these countries?  But all the award winning movie based on India ONLY show this aspect and that in worse light than it is. BTW, how does he justify running around the trees with girls 1/3rd his age?  Now that we are at it, why is his DIL so hell bent on getting western exposure then if their acclaims offend us so much! atleast someone is trying to show that indian woman is not just abt moving half naked on streets.

Last, but not the least, who is stopping Mr. Bachhan to make a movie on "murky underbelly" of the developed western nations?  We dont believe in belitting other countries.If this is the sole criteria that captured western world's attention then shouldn't he be cashing on it as well with a bit of role reversal for a change😉

And i agree this is not an indian movie bcoz no True indian and certainly not for indian audience. ye movie unhi ko mubarak ho.they are welcome to make 100 movies like this shoot it over here and see it.
ThE_kHan07 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Maya_M

There is more to Mumbai than Malabar Hills. Our Chopras and Johars are making enough films on posh areas of Mumbai.

TOTALLY AGREE!!! The chopra, johars and maharani Ekta show that the characters all live in a perfect lavish rich mansions wearing expnesive sarees n make up 24/7 which is TOTALLY B.S.

LIke the very frst thing u notice wen u land in Mumbai is NOT MALABAR HILLS...NOT THE JUHU BEACH...NOR ANY GLAMOUROUS SIGHT but the almighty Dhravai slums which is like all around the airport area and is considered the largest slum area in Asia so yeaaa .... and Slum Dog was shot in those Dharavi areas where the poor lives so obviously its gnna be dirty n stuff....

Originally posted by: sandya_rao7

And i agree this is not an indian movie bcoz no True indian and certainly not for indian audience. ye movie unhi ko mubarak ho.they are welcome to make 100 movies like this shoot it over here and see it.
...and, somehow, by denouncing such movies, the current socio-economic scenario in India will change for the better😉  Din dahadey shuturmurg ki tarah reth mein sar chhupa lene sey raat naheen ho jati

Pradarshak thumbnail
[QUOTE=bheegi

i think the movie was made with the western audience in mind. We as Indians have seen many similar tales of rags to riches, gangsters, underworld, riots, prostitution with a bollywood style dance in the end on the railway platform. Amitabh Bachchan's old movies have all this masala. What about the British accent of the Suave Dev Patel who played the slumdog? Wasn't Dev Patel cast in this movie so the westerns could relate to him. I could relate to the kids who looked like real slum kids with an authentic accent but Dev Patel did not suit the role IMO- he was there for the west!

Don't take me wrong as I actually liked the movie because of the way the story unfolded- it was an engaging tale but with all old Bollywood masalas.

The west loves to see the so called 'real India'. They love a rags to riches story and the story of an underdog. Jay Leno on his show called the slums of Mumbai "beautiful' I thought that was an unfortunate comment from a westerner who sees the slums of Mumbai on celluloid from his five star residence in LA and calls them beautiful.
[/QUOTE]

@Bheegi

Ditto! I agree with you.

On to whether call it a Indian or British film, credit goes to both. Not to forget, it's just not Danny Boyle, Loveleen Tandon was the co-director. Directing the all n all Indian cast would not have been easy job for a British director.

"SDM" in a way different than "Gandhi" - Gandhi had British cast n story-line connection, while story of SLD has no British/Western connection (except for the generous GREAT "American couple" for few seconds.) No wonder the Americans would love it!
Edited by Pradarshak - 15 years ago
hindu4lyf thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: ThE_kHan07

TOTALLY AGREE!!! The chopra, johars and maharani Ekta show that the characters all live in a perfect lavish rich mansions wearing expnesive sarees n make up 24/7 which is TOTALLY B.S.

LIke the very frst thing u notice wen u land in Mumbai is NOT MALABAR HILLS...NOT THE JUHU BEACH...NOR ANY GLAMOUROUS SIGHT but the almighty Dhravai slums which is like all around the airport area and is considered the largest slum area in Asia so yeaaa .... and Slum Dog was shot in those Dharavi areas where the poor lives so obviously its gnna be dirty n stuff....

I agree that Dharavi is infact the largest slums in the whole of Asia but have u been to Dharavi mr khan? Because if you did then you would know Dharavi is nowhere near the airport-where the hell did 5 mins come from? It is a minimum of 50 minutes away-and that is without the evening traffic😉And this is coming from someone who lives less than 5 minutes drive away from Dharavi in Bombay😊

Dharavi is really really bad and yes that place reeeeksss more than any other place i have ever been to even inside the taxi with the window closed lol. But has anyone actually seen the rest of Bombay-I mean there is more to it than Dharavi you know. Bandra, Juhu, Andheri, Sion etc. We have beggars etc but what about the average middle class indian who don't spend their nights begging on the street!

Incase you didn't know the whole of bombay doesn't consist of just dharavir and as per my knowledge there are no slums next door to bombay airport either-unless ofcourse your talking about a different bombay😛so no, the first thing u notice when u land in mumbai is the hustle and the bustle and the crazy coolies lol.

just wanna say-i don't deny india has poverty but try visiting andheri once in a while, their houses are freaking bigger than ours!😛