Posted: 18 years ago

The second day of the last group

Theme for the day- Songs composed by Aadesh Shrivastava

Judges for the day- Khayyam and Kumar Sanu

Contestants for the day-

Jaiho- Himani

Yalgaar- Debojit

Dum- Abhijeet and Sanchali

Recap- Yesterday's tough competetion saw some upsets – Two time green card Himani lost to Twinkle. And the biggest upset was Rajiv winning against the trained, experienced singers Abhijeet and Debojit.

The first singer for the day

Debojit- Debojit was shown yellow card yesterday inspite of good performance. Sanu thought that he lacked the lachak of kishore. Today in AD's round, Debojit chose- tumne na jaana from Chalte- Chalte. A beautiful, soft number by AD, sung very well, good control as usual on sur, good emotions.

Mentors- Since last few weeks, the mentors are in a mood to praise each other and that continued today as well. ID, HR and JL all were praising this composition by aadesh. Himesh as usual continued his spell of non-stop adjectives. Aadesh said that debojit added some harkat of his own and they were very good.

Himani- Himani has been a powerful singer all through and her pakkad over sur is very good. Also she sings with very open voice, and her throw is really very good. Good choice of song today as her singing style is very much like Richa Sharma- Title song from Baghbaan. Very good singing, very controlled in lower notes which is something not all singers are good at. Good clarity of singing, good emotions- she was very good.

Mentors- The mentors were very pleased with her singing and thought she had done great justice to the song. The song was again praised by all the mentors.

Abhijeet- He is JL's one of the fav contestant but has been very inconsistent. Will he be consistent today and get the blue card? His choice of song was very unexpected as this style is not his strong point- marhaba from deewar. Good pakkad over sur, slipped a couple of times though. Tried to throw his voice well, but I have heard Amit Sana's version in Indian Idol and that had much more punch which was required in the song. But definitely better than what I was expecting.

Sanchali- Again a strong contender from JL's gharana- she is strong on sur, trained singer. Unusual song chosen – Gustakhian from Aankhen- very different from the soft numbers that she chooses. She showed good control, good range….good singing.

Mentors- Himesh wanted to speak first and said that he does not understand why sanchali has not been singing songs of this genre- she has done such a superb job and has shown a new facet of her singing today. About Abhijeet he said that he sang well considering this was not his kind of song. He said that both these singers were under tremendous pressure as the earlier singer had performed very well and they matched them. Aadesh said that he added his bit and that was good. They all found Sanchali and abhijeet very good and said that it would be very difficult to decide among these.  Himesh (I think he was the one) who said that ujjaini's was one of the best performances here and sanchali even topped that today.

Second Round

Girls- the song chosen- shava shave from K3G. Himani started the song and picked it up well- she has amazing throw and confidence in her singing. I did feel that she did not sing it like girl- meaning the softness was missing. Sanchali sang it well and did bring the feel of the song.

Boys- Chali- chali from baghbaan- Abhijeet started the song- lacked the punch required in the song and I thought was trying to copy Sudesh Bhonsle. Debjit sang it well and his original voice and style was evident.

Judgement- Among the girls, the judges pointed out that in the first round both of them were equal and if the results had to be based on that it would have been very difficult for them. But in the duet round- one of them surged ahead and that was Himani who gets the blue card. Sanchali very graceful in defeat and said that it is a big achievement to come this far and her friend himani should promise her to do well in chakraviuh round and reach the finals. Kumar Sanu said that there are so many music directors here and they should give sanchali a break in this genre of song as she was superb. Aadesh promised that he will give her a song very soon.

Among the boys- again a tough decision according to both the judges. Both at par in the first round and the second round made the difference. Debojit was given the blue card and went to the next round. Kumar Sanu said that abhijeet was superb and if any of the music directors had any song for sanu, they should give it to abhijeet.

Jatin Lalit were very upset with the results and thought it was wrong judgement and said so. A big discussion- himesh jumped in saying that even his singers and infact everybody's singers have had this kind of judgement. A small fight and discussion happened and all the mentors were at judges's desk (I think gajendra ji also had to come to calm down JL)…….and after the judges told them the basis of their decision, the mentors went back to their seats.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

pmahesh thumbnail
i agree- i think debojit deserved it yesterday- but this is what happens when you have different judges- the consistency in judging has been missing- somebody decides on sur, somebody on feel.........

I hope in the finals they have a mix of these
harry_potter thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
thankss for the wonderful update pmahesh !!! im so happy abhijeet got out btw which gharana is on top according to the gharana ratings ?? hope it is ROCK !!! 😳 😳 😳
chandoba thumbnail
preeti..
himani sang.. shubu shubu shubu
rajeev== mere dil ne tadap ke phir naam tera pukara
riddler100 thumbnail
thanks Priti (again) for your excellent updates.
skybux thumbnail
I hope for the next round they have some ground rules set.
As to during they sing can they add sargam, or some harkat, and what
the judges are going to judge on.
I am sure they have a making sheet.
They should have the same rulls for all at all times.
Thanks Priti once again for your great update.
Dev76 thumbnail
Thanks Priti for all the updates. I have been reading the forum for a month now & especially your detailed updates on each episode. The stage is set for an exciting chakravyuh & agnipariksha round. It was disappointing to see some good singers (Niladri, Vishwaas, Ujjaini & Sanchali) getting eliminated. I hope the mentors use their "Bramhastra" properly without getting emotional.
riddler100 thumbnail
JL have been acting like a couple of kindergarten kids. Was it only J who starting arguing with the judges or did L say something too?
Having followed saregama for about a decade now, needless to say I have seen Abhijit before. Before the competition actually started, I thought he would be one of the strongest contenders as well. Unfortunately, he hasn't been performing up to the mark.
Oh well, since I've already "watched" the episode through Priti's updates, Debojit apparently was better and deserved the blue card.
mala_loves_abhi thumbnail
JL acted in a complete childish manner yesterday....Firstly, the judgement on Thursday was a wrong one...Debu should have got the green card....even Paresh, Aishwarya, Vishwas, Niladri got out in the same way...Another point is that yesterday JL fought for Abhijeet...couldn't they fight the same way when Ujjaini went out?
peshkar thumbnail
Speaking of Abhijeet, from a pure classical standpoint, he is technically the most accomplished in the pack. I have been following sa re ga ma pa for a few years and he is one of the very few who can deliver multi-octave off-tempo taans. Recall how Alka Yagnik said he is a brilliant singer and everybody was raving after his 1st round song. I am, therefore, quite disappointed that with this technical mastery, he was not able convincingly defeat anybody (even that lightweight Paresh) and finally has been kicked out of the challenge. Obviously, something which has acted against him is the "dil se gaana" factor which has also been characterized by various people as singing with soul or feel etc. What does it mean to sing with your dil when your awaaz is lacking? Has anybody seen a cricketer bat with his soul rather than his bat? Arre yeh banda dil se chauka pita hai. I guess, it is not impossible.

What people term "dil se gaana" is actually bringing out the emotive content of a song through modulation and articulation. I admit Abhijeet has significantly underperformed in this respect. But although he has been kicked out, he remains a far superior singer to guys like Paresh, Aishwarya or Rajeev.