I'll Be There (AR) Pt8/Pg24-12/14

simran1285 thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

I know how terrible of me to start this when I have 2 FF's awaiting update but I will not update this until I am a little more ahead in Manzil. I watched a movie a long time ago with Aditya Panscholi as the main lead. (I know you all must be like who? what?) The movie was released in the early 90's and it was simply beautiful and touching. The title was "Yaad Rakhegi Duniya" it was about a guy who discovers he has cancer and moves to Shimla to isolate himself and there he meets this beautiful carefree girl and who he falls in love with only to discover that she too is suffering from cancer. In my story only the girl has cancer the guy does not but I was sort of inspired from that movie.

To many of you it may seem this FF is a resemblance to "A Walk to Remember" by Nicholas Sparks but this will not be like that all, though I love that book this FF will not be inspired from it only the concept might seem similar.

Hope you all like it I will be waiting for your views. 😳

Intro

When he first moved to Shimla as a teenager he hated it. Compared to Delhi this place was dull and boring, he hated his parents for shifting there. Things however took a turn to his liking, being the guy from the city made him an automatic star, the popular kids wanted to hangout with him the girls wanted to date him and the geeks looked up to him. Along the years as he grew so did his popularity and so did his likeness of the place. He soon fell in love with the foggy mornings the chilly nights and the forever blowing cool breeze. He found solace in the mountains and came often just to hike up and down and feel the wind thrash through him. All was well in his life, why wouldn't it be? he was the champ of the college, the stud, Mr. Popular, chick magnet whatever you wanted to call it, not only did he do well academically but he was also the star player in almost all the sports the college had. He was an excellent student with an exceptional future, and he had his life all planned out for him. After graduating he would go abroad and do his MBA, his father still had his business in Delhi which he would take over, of course he would visit Shimla once in a while, it was home after all.

Little did he know that his life was about to take a drastic turn this year. How did he know that all this would happen to him! How did he know that the person he finally starts falling in love with had stage 2 cancer! But he refuses to move on without her, refuses to leave her side, I'll be there he told her...I'll be there.

Part 1

The wind slashed through his face, ripped through his muscles, stung his eyes but he ran, ran with all his might until he reached the very top of the hill; which could almost be called a mountain. He panted for breath dropping his hands to his knees to steady himself. It was another extremely foggy morning but it was an exciting morning for him.

Today was the beginning of his last year of college, he was a senior today, he would soon graduate and leave for London to pursue his MBA, he smiled thinking about his perfect future that lay ahead; he was looking forward to the move and even more forward to his life in Delhi. Delhi was the place where he was born and bred till he was 16 and then his parents had decided to move here.

He let his eyes wander over the vast hills covered with the white fog and wet grass. Shimla, how he had hated it back then but loved it now. His parents had grown up here, fell in love here, even married here but had shifted to Delhi for a better life. Home is where the heart is they say and his parents' heart was here, so they had moved back dragging him along with them.

His father went back and forth due to business but he was stuck. He was 16 and a junior in high school, the last thing he wanted to do was leave his school and friends behind, but he had too. Looking back at it now he chuckled, it wasn't as bad as he thought it would be. He gelled in pretty well here; heck he was the man of the college, THE STAR! and this was the stars last year here. He looked down at the descending hill and smiled running down. This was gonna be a great year!

He Entered college only to be surrounded by a dozen girls as soon as he stepped out of the car "Whoa Whoa Whoa ladies please give the fella some room to breath here" He saw his best friend Rahul emerge from the crowd with several other boys, he came straight towards him and engulfed him in a manly hug.

"Ready for another rocking year buddy" Rahul asked pulling out of the hug

"Of course man, I am ever ready" he winked as they started walking 'So where have you thought of going when you graduate"? He continued looking at Rahul who was still skeptical about his future, however one thing was for sure as soon as he took over his Dad's Delhi Company Rahul would have a job!

"Not sure man, still deciding where to go from here before I join you in
Delhi. I heard back from a university in Bangalore, sounds good, I might go for it, hey listen man why don't we meet during break, class is about to start and I don't want to be late, you know how strict Mrs. Sinha is." With that Rahul ran towards his class bidding a hasty goodbye.

It was almost mid-afternoon when Armaan stepped in to the library. Senior year was tough he had research papers lined up back to back. He grabbed a book and sat down at the nearest table. Perhaps it was instinct, perhaps it was the mumbling or perhaps it was meant to be. He looked up to see a girl seated across from him engrossed in her book. Had she been sitting here from before? He wondered, or had she just come? He looked at her intently as she mumbled something, then scratched her head and went back to her reading. She had a pretty face he noted but she looked awfully pale. She was dressed plainly; a light blue kurta with dark blue jeans but what intrigued him the most was her hair, she had beautiful hair and thankfully she had let them down. He smiled involuntarily as he watched them sway to the light breeze from the heaters.

"Hi I am Armaan" he said trying to get her attention

"I know" she stated simply with out looking up

He frowned but tried again "Actually I am Armaan Malik" he grinned saying his full name.

"And" she finally looked up extremely irritated

He was taken aback by her sudden statement but before he could say anything further they both heard a knock at the window by their table. He turned to see a chubby boy who looked no more than 10-12 years of age glaring inside. The boy was looking at the girl and tapping his watch as if trying to imply something regarding the time.

The girl gasped and immediately started gathering her things and within an instant she was gone. Well, he thought, that was a first, usually girls went gaga over seeing him and here was this plain-jane not giving a damn. Man he must be loosing his touch, but who the heck was she? Was she new? He didn't think he's ever seen her before. Yea maybe she was new and that is why she didn't really know who Armaan Malik was, the star basketball?OMG his eyes popped out of his head, he had completely forgotten about basket ball practice, grabbing his books he ran out, shit Rahul was going to kill him.

He thought about asking Rahul about that girl but that wouldn't look good, I mean come on the college star is asking about a nerdy looking girl no-way-Jos, some things were just not acceptable with his superstar image.

He thought about her though and even looked around college hoping to catch a glimpse of her, he wasn't attracted or anything, he was just curious to know why she wasn't affected, but to his dismay 3 days passed and she hadn't popped up anywhere.

Finally when he had forgotten all about the weird girl and their little meeting he spotted her in the hallway, walking with a few of her friends. They were laughing at something and that's when he noticed, she looked different today, she didn't look pale anymore; in fact her skin was nice and rosy just like the color of her blouse, her hair were swaying as usual. She didn't notice him, again, but he noticed her.

He immediately grabbed Rahul and pointing towards her direction asked

"Who is she?"

"Who, the one with curly hair, God that's Muskaan Chadda she is the most annoyingest creature on this earth, I mean she talks so much that even Sholay's Basanti might get embarrassed, I mean?" Rahul continued only to be interrupted

"No No not her, the other one, with the pink top, who is she?"

"Oh her, that's RiddhimaGupta" he stated matter of factly

"Who?"

"Arey, Dr.ShashankGupta's daughter" he saw Armaan's confused expression "you know Dr.Gupta, he's the one who owns SanjeevaniHospital"

"Is she new?"

"What, no way Riddhima has been here forever, just like me" he let out a sigh saying the last bit

"Then how come I've never seen her before?" This was odd he thought, Rahul says the girl's been here forever but how come he'd never seen her or even heard of her.

"Hmm I don't know man, she went to school with us, but then for some reason in our junior year her parents decided to home school her, HEY! that was the same year you came here" Rahul smiled at the sudden realization and at the memory of when he first met Armaan.

"But what about college, did she go somewhere else first?"

"Arey nahi yaar, she joined here her freshman year but unfortunately her mother fell terribly ill, and right before the start of our junior year she passed away, she was a sweet lady. Riddhima has 4 younger siblings so she was busy with them too"

"Wow Four" Hmm the doctor had a lot of kids he wondered

"Actually, 2 of them are Riddhima's cousins, Dr.Gupta's younger brother passed away several years ago with his wife in an accident, so Dr.Gupta and his wife basically adopted them."

"How did she die?"

"Who?"

"Riddhima's mom"

"Cancer"

He suddenly felt sorry for her, poor girl had been through so much, loosing your mom at a young age must have been tough for her and her siblings; his mother was his everything, his solace, his sympathizer even his critique he couldn't imagine what he would do without her. His solemn thoughts were interrupted when he remembered her laughter; Riddhima's laughter, she laughed so freely as if she had not a care in the world, as if everything was perfect. She intrigued him. 

"Oye Armaan wake up we are getting late for class, Mr.Jhunjhunwala will have a fit if we are late" Rahul grabbed his arm and dragged him towards class

"So MuskaanChadda eh?" he laughed watching Rahul's irritated expression

"You don't know her man she is a big time motor mouth, the girl stops at nothing once started?" his voice trailed off as the boys walked further in the corridor and then disappeared in to the fog.

Part 2

He discovered that afternoon that he had 2 classes with her; she sat in the middle section of the class while he sat in the section on the left. From where he was seated he could make her out clearly, she was sitting talking away with that guy who spent most of his time in the garden area talking to plants, Atul he smiled suddenly remembering his name. During the proceedings of the classes he discovered she was well versed and prepared, she had all her notes and research up to date, but how could that be possible he wondered; she had not attended these classes since they had started the new semester then how could she be so familiar with the material? Again she intrigued him.

During mid-afternoon the weather had warmed up significantly, his gang had decided to take a walk out on the grounds of the college, students were often allowed to wander around the college during break period to enjoy the weather and clear their heads, many even preferred sitting out on the grassy hills to study in solitude. They were discussing about the upcoming basketball game while he twirled the basketball with his finger showing off his skills, he stopped abruptly when he heard the familiar sound.

There she was again; dancing carelessly and foolishly, twisting and turning yelling a song out loud that played on her ipod. The curly haired girl and the plant lover; Muskaan and Atul laughed hysterically telling her to stop, but she ignored them and continued her performance. He looked around to see his friends staring at her in disbelief and the passing by students laughing or hooting. It didn't affect her he noted, she didn't care it was like as if no one else existed in this world for her. She went and grabbed Muskaan and Atul and made them dance with her, they resisted at first but gave up to her pleas, she jumped in delight and the 3 of them danced away to glory.

She was different he concluded very different, he passed by her purposely in the corridors to gauge her reaction to him, but she acted as if he didn't exist. She never looked at him or bothered to converse with him like he had hoped, especially after that incident in the library. She never attended any of the games either; he noticed because he looked, he had actually looked so see if she would be there laughing that gorgeous laugh.

The next 2 days she was missing from classes again, and he realized she hadn't been to college at all. No one seemed affected though, not even her friends who continued on with their daily routine of joking and laughing even without her. It seemed as if this was the norm with them, her coming and disappearing like that didn't bother them at the least. He tried to forget and not think about her but it was hard when no one was laughing freely like she did or her hair, no girl had such nice hair as her, they flowed so beautifully with the slightest breeze. No he wasn't attracted to her, nor was he starting to get a liking to her, she was just so different that it made him curious and eager to watch her.

It was raining heavily when he stepped out of the grocery shop that evening, it had been raining for the past 2 days only making the cold weather even colder, he didn't mind the cold but UGH the rain made everything so dirty, thankfully it was the weekend and that meant he could just go home and not worry about stepping out for the next 2 days. If only his mother hadn't begged him to pickup some fruit after school he would have been home warm and cozy right now. He drove slowly as the water splashed mercilessly on his windshield. Honking his horn he hit his hand frustratingly on the steering, God how he wished to be home all dry and snug with a hot cup of coffee, but all of that would have to wait until he made it out of this dreadful traffic. He sighed looking outside his window, what the? He watched as a young girl wearing a flimsy white ghagra choli twirled around in the rain. Wait a minute he nearly jumped and lowered his window it was not just any girl, it was Riddhima.

As if on impulse he pulled out of the traffic and drove his car on to the adjoining dirt road. Stopping, he sat and simply watched as she jumped and splashed in the puddles of water like a small child. He could hear her faint screams of joy and the soft clinking of the anklets she wore. Her hair dripping wet clung to her face like magnets, her lips were cherry red due to the cold and her clothes and feet dirty due to the muddy water. OMG what was she doing? It suddenly hit him like a bolt of lightning. Is this girl insane? It's freezing outside and pouring like cats and dogs on top of that, and here is this crazy girl who hasn't shown up for college for the past 2 days dancing like she's just hit the jackpot..hmm maybe she did. No No go to her Armaan.

He Stepped out of his car to feel the cold water seep through his clothes in an instant drenching him. He let out a loud sigh and watched his breath come out in mists. Walking towards her direction he stopped right in front of her while she continued her rain dance not even bothering to acknowledge him.

"What are you doing?" he nearly yelled due to the cold only to get no response from her instead he watched her head over to a swing which hung nicely from a big oak tree. "Are you insane it's freezing out here" he yelled again following her to the swing.

"Then why don't you leave?" she retorted as she swayed back and forth on the swing.

"You are crazy aren't you; I mean you have to be, a normal person would be bundled up with layers trying to warm them selves up while here you are wearing this feeble looking ghagra choli dancing away as if it's your wedding day!" he chuckled showing off his sarcasm. But Riddhima seemed the least bit affected by his outburst, in fact she wasn't affected at all she ignored him as if she hadn't heard a thing and continued her swinging while kicking her feet in the air to make her anklets jingle.

He threw his arms up in defeat headed back to his car, it was useless he mused, she was mentally insane and stubborn like hell. He was only trying to help, who cared if she fell terribly ill tomorrow due to her inanity.

"Armaan"

He stopped abruptly and turned slightly to see her running towards him.

"Actually it is getting kind of late, so I was wondering if you could please drop me home." She asked pleadingly while trying to catch her breath. He looked at face attentively, though it was freezing out she didn't look that pale today, her full red lips trembled due to the cold, but what caught his attention the most were her eyes. She had long green eyes with even longer eyelashes, they were gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous, he had never seen eyes so beautiful as hers before.

"Armaan?" she waved her hand fervently to get his attention; he was lookingly at her so intently that it was for the first time making her uncomfortable.

"Huh?" he jerked back to reality and watched her giving him a confusing look "Uh yea sure I'll drop you" How could he say no to that face.

He watched her get in and look at him apologetically because she was wetting his seats, he smiled and dismissed her worry, luckily for him the seats were of leather making it easy for them to clean and dry.

"OMG this is my favorite Song" she squealed like a child putting the volume up as he pulled back on to the main road.

Jaane Kyun Dil jaanta hai

Tu Hai toh I'll be alright

I'll be alright, I'll be alright

He watched her as she wiggled in her seat and moved her head from one side to the other, while singing the song high and loud. He chuckled at her childlike behavior.

"By the way what were you doing out in the cold like that, you know that could prove to be very dangerous for your health" He finally asked trying to start a conversation

"So what I would have probably gotten sick or perhaps even died, but death is inevitable" He looked at her a bit stunned as she stated that fact so simply.

"Hey Stop! Stop! Stop!" he brought the car to a sudden halt and looked at her questioningly "My house has arrived silly, thanks for the ride, and have a good weekend!" without waiting for his reply or even a reaction she bolted out of his car and ran inside. He sat still for a second trying to take in the fact that she had left and that too so suddenly, nodding his head he smiled and pressed the accelerator. God she was so mysterious, mysterious?yes that's it, that's was she was to him; she was a mystery, a beautiful mystery.

"Hey Bhagwan, Riddhi beta look at you! Hai Ram Ladki why do you do this"? She listened quietly as her Dadi went on and on questioning god for her grand daughter's behavior. She saw her siblings hiding behind the pillar trying to suppress their giggles as Didi got another lecture from their Dadi. It was the norm with her, she loved the rain no matter what the season. Why couldn't her Dadi understand that her life was already so short and she wanted to do everything she loved while she still could. Sighing she went towards her Dadi and hugged her from behind soaking her crisp white sari.

"I am sorry Dadi, but you know how much I love the rain and who knows how I long I have to enjoy it.."

"RIDDHIMA!" her Dadi yelled her name hushing her up immediately. She looked over to see the once giggly faces of her siblings suddenly looking glum. The truth however was that she was dying, with each passing day her life was being cut extremely short, it happened to all of us, but with her it was different. Unlike other people she knew her death was coming, in fact she was waiting for it, this could be her last night, or tomorrow could be her last day these were the thoughts that traveled with her every passing second.

Diagnosed with blood cancer when she was 19, she had come to terms with her pending death pretty quickly. Her mother's death from the disease could have been the primary factor but still she had accepted what was coming her way. She had blood transfusions done every month along with radiation, she had refused chemo and opted for the radiation since she had a choice. She knew how her mother's disease and death had affected her family so she tried to be as normal as possible when it hit her. Plus she wanted to be normal, just because she was going to die in a few days did in no way mean that she would sit and cry about it. She was going to enjoy her last few days here, do whatever she pleased & live however she pleased.

Kissing her grandmother's cheeks she mumbled a sorry and marched towards her room beckoning her siblings to follow. It was time to cheer them up now; it was time to plan another adventure!

She let her eyes wander over the faces of her siblings, Debojit was the eldest in the lot he was 16 and turning out to be a handsome young man. Gappu was up next he was 12 and well, too much body fat; no matter how hard they tried to get him to loose some weight he just simply could not, diets didn't help but then again she'd seen the box of chocolates and candies hiding under his bed. Harsh and Minnie were actually her cousins but she had never referred to them as that, they were her siblings just like Debo and Gappu. Harsh was only 2 when his parents passed away and Minnie only a few months. Harsh was a smart boy for a 10 year old a bit nerdy especially with his glasses which he insisted on having to look sophisticated. Minnie however was her angel, she was only a few months old when she had come to them, Riddhima had seen Minnie only once before that and that too during her birth but when Minnie came to live with them, she had become her doll. Riddhima loved dressing her up, cuddling with her, playing with her; she had almost become Minnie's Mommy and her own mother had thanked her for the help. Keeping up with 3 young boys was not an easy task for Padma so she appreciated Riddhima taking over the charge for Minnie; who was now a cute young lass of 8.

"Riddhu Di are you also leaving us like Mom?" she watched as the tears spilled out of Minnie's big sad eyes and broke her heart, but she couldn't lie to them that was one thing they never did when it came to the 5 of them, there were no secrets and absolutely no lies, she sat on her knees and took Minnie in her in arms cradling her like she was a baby.

"You know Minnie we all have to go, all of us, you, me, Debo, Gappu, Harsh even Dadi and Papa. It's not so bad sweetheart and it doesn't hurt and look at it this way when it's your turn me and mumma will already be up there waiting for you. And when you come we will all play together like we used to." She tried to her best to make it sound nice to the child but how could never seeing your family again be nice, still she hoped her angel would understand. She felt Minnie suddenly leap out of her lap and look at her excitedly.

"Really, you and mumma will play with me again?" She laughed at her sisters innocent query and ruffled her curly hair.

"Ok now come on enough with the gloomy faces, I have a big plan for us tomorrow and I need all of you to be fresh and ready so off too bed now." She got up and felt 8 extra arms lunge at her, how could she forget it was a nightly ritual they would all hug each other and say I love you before they hit the bed. It was something she had started when she was first diagnosed, she always feared she would never wake up one day and never get a chance to tell her loved ones how much she loved them. Smiling Sadly she kissed all of them on the cheek except Debo whom she patted on the head; he of course was too old to be kissed by his sister, or so he said.

Armaan parked his car near his house and turned around to gather the fruit basket from the back seat when something silvery caught his attention. Picking the thing up he shook to hear it's jingle, it was Riddhima's anklet. He burst out laughing remembering her dance to Jaane Kyun in his car; it must have fallen off when she was nonchalantly kicking her feet.. Oh Shoot! He had wanted to ask her about her disappearance, he cursed himself mentally for forgetting. Oh well looks like he would have to wait for Monday to ask her at college, but will she come? Will she talk to him? God the girl was such a mystery.

Part 3

"Dear Father I am here to confess"

"Yes my child"

"Father yesterday I fooled a man into believing that I loved him and would run away with him that night. I asked him to meet me at the empty mansion behind the hill where he came sharp at 9pm. There, turning the house into a Bhoot-Bangla I dressed as a dead bride. I then tied the man to a chair and danced around him with my siblings dressed as ghosts and goblins. The man passed out due to fright and we heard word that he left town this morning." She heard Minnie's loud giggle and gave her an angry look.

The father hit his hand on this head and mumbled in disbelief "Riddhi my child when will you grow up and stop this foolishness."

"I am sorry father but I wasn't done" she bit her lower lip waiting for the father's permission; who sighed and let her continue.

"Earlier this morning I followed the dhoodhwala (milkman) Champak Ram to the corn fields where he went to do his business, there I attached a string of 100 crackers to his pajama and lit them on fire. My siblings and I laughed hysterically as Champak Ram ran for his life holding his pajama." She finished her narration and hung her head in shame. 

The father couldn't take it anymore and burst out laughing. This was nothing new to him, he had known Riddhima since she was a babe, Padma often brought her children to church on Sunday and Riddhima continued the tradition with her siblings. She always did these impudent things during the week and like a good girl would confess all her wrongdoings to him on Sunday. Father Andrews knew of her illness and admired her for accepting it and playing a good role model for her siblings. It was probably because of this that he never could scold her; he knew she was a kind hearted girl who was just trying to enjoy her last few days here. So, like always Riddhima would be forgiven, and he would get a laugh out of listening to her antics.

Armaan saw her come out of the church with 3 young boys and a small girl who literally clung to her arm. He grinned when he saw her marching and the youngsters following her lead. He followed suspiciously trying to stay as far back as possible without missing the details.

"Uh excuse me, can you tell me where the Meena's Sari shop is" a man seemingly in his 30's quizzed her

"Oh Bhaiya, you are going totally the wrong way" she said dramatically shaking her hand as if she had just ate something spicy.

What was she saying Armaan wondered?the sari shop was just 2 blocks down.

"Listen Bhaiya you are going to have to turn around and make a left from that street right there, then go straight for about 3 blocks and make a left, Meena's will be just straight ahead to your right" He watched as the man pleasantly thanked her and took off following her direction. He couldn't believe it she had totally fibbed to the man and mislead him to a whole new place. She high-fived her followers and continued her march mouthing the following

Kadam kadam bhadaye Ja!

Khushi ke geet gaye Ja!

Kadam kadam bhadaye Ja!

Khushi ke geet gaye Ja!

Unbelievable he muttered to himself, simply unbelievable. He walked back to his car humming Kadam Kadam bhadaye ja?

He was pleasantly surprised to see her in the library the next morning, she had apparently shown up today. Without giving it another thought he walked right up to her table and sat down in front of her.

"Hi" he said enthusiastically but she only smiled, well at least she acknowledged him, even that was a big milestone. "So..what are you doing?" he asked trying to make a conversation

She looked up and smiled "Did you the know that this huge room you are sitting in is called a library, and this.." she said picking up her book " is called a book, and now when we put the 2 together we discover that I am sitting in the library reading a book" she finished her little demonstration and went back to her book a bit annoyed.

"Um, don't I affect you" he asked innocently

"Huh" she met his gaze a bit bewildered

"I mean you know?I am like...you know? I mean usually when girls see me they?well they act all weird?and?and you? I mean" he fumbled with the words and made weird signs with his hands. She looked shocked for a moment and then burst out laughing. He watched horrorstruck in fact everyone in the library watched horrorstruck, but Riddhima continued her laughing. They were finally asked to leave by the librarian and all throughout Riddhima had laughed. Her laughter boomed in the corridor as they walked out, Armaan watched sheepishly

praying for her to shut up, she had a beautiful laugh but it was just way too embarrassing right now. Suddenly she started coughing and that too vigorously, her face paled as she stumbled to sit down on the ledge. He panicked as he saw her gasping for air.

"Riddhima are you ok" he rubbed her back trying to calm her and ease her breathing.

"Yea, I am fine" she stated thankfully still trying to catch her breath.

They both heard the footsteps and turned to see Muskaan running towards them looking frantic, and behind her came Rahul looking equally frantic if not more.

"OMG Ridzy what happened are you ok?" before anyone could reply Muskaan turned to Armaan and yelled notoriously "What did you do to her? How dare you come near her!! What the hell do you think of yourself huh? What if something happened to her?"

"Muskaan what is wrong with why are you blaming Armaan?" Rahul grabbed her arm and turned her around hard

Riddhima and Armaan watched dumbfounded as Rahul and Muskaan bickered non-stop, If Muskaan could embarrass Basanti then Rahul could certainly give Veeru a run for his money.

"Hey guys chill please, it was no big deal" Armaan got up finally to break the ongoing quarrel

"NO BIG DEAL! It's no big deal for you Armaan but it's everything for me, what if something happened to her?" Muskaan bellowed in his face, quickly diverting her attention from him she once again turned to Riddhima "Ridzy are you ok? Do you want me to get you some water? Do you want me to call uncle? Or even Atul can take you?"

"Muskaan" Riddhima interrupted her worried friend and gave her a quick hug "I am fine, I promise"

"Pakka?" Muskaan whispered sounding sad and uncertain

"Yes Pakka!" Riddhima smiled and holding Muskaan's hand they got up and walked away.

"What was that all about" Armaan turned to Rahul who suddenly snapped and started rambling.

"See didn't I tell ya, didn't I tell ya the women is nuts, I mean did you see the way she took off it's like there is no way out for you, she just won't let you win, I mean there we were one minute having a nice chat  and the next second, literally the next second she takes off yelling Riddhima like the schools on fire" Rahul moved around in circles throwing his hands from here to there.

"Rahul, RAHUL!" Armaan shook Rahul by the shoulders finally shutting him up "Relax man I understand, just relax ok"

Rahul put his hands on his hips and let out a deep beath "thanks man"

"So you and Muskaan Chadda eh" Armaan put his arm around Rahul; who was blushing now and laughed. Today had been an interesting day!

He stretched out his arms to fully breath in cool fresh air, for some reason he wanted to come out and jog again, he usually did his little run in the morning but today he just felt like coming out in the evening as well. It was beautiful out, the fog had just started building up and a light cold breeze was blowing. He continued his jog but came to a halt when he heard her voice.

"Oh come on Minnie don't be scared, he won't wake up"

"But Di I am scared, what if he gets up and grabs me"

Rolling her eyes Riddhima gave up and decided to do this herself, lighting a cigarette, she breathed in the nicotine only to cough it out violently; obviously a first timer. She gently tiptoed over to a man who slept carelessly on the grass. Armaan observed intently and moved in a little closer to get a better picture of what she was about to do. She headed towards the man and carefully stuck the cigarette in between his toes. He watched spellbound as she ran and hid behind the bushes along with her band of followers. With in minutes the man woke up screaming  

"Haye jal gaya, haye mar gaya, koi bachao! Help! Help! I am on Fire" the man ran towards the lake and jumped in

Moments Later Riddhima stepped out with her gang laughing hysterically; rejoicing over the success.

"You know that was not very nice" Armaan stood facing her with his hands on his hips.

"And? this is a problem for you how? I mean that man wasn't a relative or anything?" she was annoyed again, but then again she always was by his presence.

He sighed, was there ever a point in arguing with her? He looked down to find a young girl staring at him wide eyed, she looked a bit scared and was clinging to Riddhima like her life depended on it, he smiled showing his dimples and bent down on his knees to be at her level.

"Wow! You're very beautiful" the girl blushed and leaned in to hide her face in Riddhima's arm. "I am Armaan" she looked at his extended hand and then back at him, smiling she shook his hand. "Hey you didn't tell me your name?"

"Minnie" she replied shyly.

"It's nice to meet you Minnie" the girl was cute and there was a hint of resemblance between her and Riddhima but only a hint. The boys came next and stood by the girls with folded arms; a protective bunch he noted.

That evening he was thinking about her, something he seemed to be doing often now. Dismissing the thoughts as plain curiosity again he smiled to see his mother walk in with 2 cups of coffee.

"So, what are you thinking so acutely about?"

"Just a girl" he saw his moms inquisitive look "oh no Ma its nothing like that at all, I swear"

"are you sure Ammy, you know you could tell me anything"

"Yes mom it's absolutely nothing like that, and I promise if something like that ever happened you would be the first to know" Sadhna smiled at her son, she was proud of the relationship she shared with him. The fact that he was known as the playboy of the college was well known to her but little did anyone know that it was all an act Ammy put on; for only she knew that her son had yet to fall in love and when he did it would last forever.

"So tell me about this girl you were thinking of"

Armaan laid his head on his mom's lap and told her about Riddhima. Sadhana smiled seeing her son's smile which did not leave his face the entire time.

From then on Armaan would always search for her, to catch just a glimpse of her glowing face, or to hear her laughter which roared in the corridors whenever she would pass. She pulled at him, no one had ever done that, it was he who usually did the pulling. He would stand mesmerized by her fragrance when she'd pass him in the hall; of course oblivious of his presence. During his games he would search for her hopelessly, though he knew she would never be there.

Break time had become staring time for him, he would spend the entire time lost in her world. It was then that he also realized that not only Muskaan but Atul was also very protective over her. They would force her to eat while she would pout cutely. They treated her like a doll he noted, if Muskaan would constantly cover her with her shawl then Atul would carry her books and jump at her first cough. At first he actually thought Atul & Riddhima were a couple but his suspicions were put to rest when Atul referred to her as his little sister one day. The thought of why they were so overprotective and caring towards her did make him curious but he dismissed it as love.

Rahul saw him lying on the grass his face covered with his elbow. He knew something was up, Armaan was acting different. Having known him for over 5 years now he had never seen him so lost, even during their group hangouts he was always occupied in his thoughts it was as if Armaan was there yet he wasn't. He didn't even seem a bit interested in Ananya who was literally throwing herself at him. It was time he got some answers and that was just what he was about to do.

"Armaan" sitting on his knees he shook his sleeping friend "Oye sleeping beauty get up"

"What man"

"Ok Ammy, spill it, who is she?"

Armaan sat up immediately and gave him a confused look what did he mean?

"I am not an idiot Ammy, I know when my buddy is brooding over a women"    

"Brooding? I am not brooding"

"Then what do you call this?" he made a devdasic pose of how Armaan was sleeping earlier "I call that brooding, so bol bete who is she and when did you fall in love with her?"

Armaan jumped to his feet and started pacing "What man have you lost it? What BS are you talking? I am not in love! No way me Armaan Malik in love with a local chick NO WAY!"

"I never said she was a  local" He saw him stop CAUGHT YA AMMY! "So what's her name?"

"Ok listen man before you jump to conclusions I am not in any love-shove ok, I mean I don't know yet, I mean you know I don't know what love is, I just? you know.."

"Shut up Ammy, I just asked for a name man"

"Riddhima" he spoke softly

Now it was Rahul's turn to jump and start pacing "what Riddhima? you mean Riddhima Gupta? Dr. Shashank Gupta's daughter Riddhima? Ammy are you serious? I mean the girl is ok but that's it she's ok, I mean how? When?" Rahul demanded

"Rahul do you love Muskaan?"

"Huh, Ammy this isn't about me?"

"First answer me Rahul"

"Yes?I really like her, I mean I haven't told her or anyone for that matter" Suddenly panicking her folded his hands in front of him. "Ammy man don't tell anyone yet please, I..I want to tell her first"

"Relax man I won't tell anyone, but Rahul, Muskaan is also ok, I mean she hangs out with Riddhima and Atul"

"I know Ammy but I really don't care about that"

"And you think I do? I mean come on why would you think that should even be a concern? I mean if you can like an ok girl then why can't I?"

"I am not Armaan Malik Ammy"

"I know Rahul but that doesn't make a difference to me"

"Oh really" Rahul smirked "so tell me how did the stud of our college fall for Riddhima Gupta"

"Eh I haven't fallen for her or anything ok, I just..she's just so different man, I mean she isn't affected by me, and she's so full of life so carefree, I just love that about her?" Armaan's sober expression suddenly turned dreamy as he continued telling Rahul about Riddhima "I am not in love yet Rahul or at least I think I am not, but I do like her, I like her laughter, I like her smile, I like her eyes which twinkle with joy, I like her childish mischief, I like when she sulks?"

"Whoa man, and I thought I had it bad" Rahul chuckled and engulfed Armi in a hug. "I am happy for you man, it's so nice to see this new you"

The two friends burst out laughing but stopped abruptly when they heard the sirens. An ambulance? What was an ambulance doing at their college? they both ran to the entrance to see a huge crowd gathered. The crowd dispersed to a side as a hysterical Muskaan ran along side an equally distraught Atul holding a stretcher; and on the stretcher lay a pale as a sheet looking Riddhima.

Part 4

He stood frozen at his spot, stunned at what just happened. He heard Rahul ask other students if they knew what was going on, Riddhima Fainted he heard a girl say. Fainted? But why? Ok she did look really pale today but he had thought that was normal with her. His thoughts wandered back to class , Riddhima was unusually cold today, though she was dressed heavily she was still shivering. Atul had already given her his jacket and draped his arms around her several times, trying to warm her. So she was cold he thought, but it was nothing that he took seriously. He had to know what had happened. Sanjeevani; they had to have taken her there.

"Ammy, where are you going?" Rahul yelled from behind

"Sanjeevani"

Rahul jumped in the car directly after him "I'll come with you, Muskaan is there too, we can ask her"

He drove fast, the image of her lying lifeless on the stretcher flashed in front of him. Within minutes he was pulling in to the emergency parking lot. He ran towards and entrance and saw a rather rotund looking female behind the check in counter.

"Hello ji, how may I help you" She smiled cheerfully but the gentlemen seemed to be in a rush

"Riddhima Gupta, where is she?" Armaan asked impatiently

Her smile faltered when she heard the name she suddenly sobered up "Yes sir she's been brought in and being attended to right now, but I can't let you go in"

"What? Why?" he was irritated now

"There are already too many people inside for Ms.Gupta sir, I am sorry"

"but we are her friends!"

The lady looked at the 2 boys incredulously, she had known Riddhima since she was a kid and knew of her friends, in fact her friends were the ones who had come with her and were with her still. "I am sorry sir, rules are rules"

"Shit" Armaan cursed banging his fist on the counter

Rahul immediately grabbed him from behind and lead him out. "Relax Ammy, I am sure it's nothing, she was probably fatigued, and you know girls. We'll see her tomorrow and you can ask her then."

Dejectedly he sat in his car, he couldn't possibly go back to school, it was better if they headed home.

He couldn't sleep that night and the time seemed to move slower than usual. He called Rahul for the umpteenth time "Sorry Ammy, I have tried Muskaan's cell numerous time but it's switched off, just try to get some sleep and we'll see them tomorrow"

He didn't see her in the hallway that morning and understood that she hadn't come today. Even Muskaan and Atul were missing. The day passed extremely slow. He was glad when it was finally over. Stepping out for an evening jog he relaxed as the wind lunged at him. Coming down the hill he spotted a figure sitting by the lake, stepping closer he realized it was Minnie.

"Minnie?" she looked up momentarily and then went back to staring at the water. Sitting down he looked thoughtfully at the little girl beside him. What could probably had made this child so sad, he wondered. Was it Riddhima? Was she still in the hospital? He placed a hand on the girl's shoulder "Minnie, how is Riddhima? Is she back from the hospital?" He saw her get up and look at him thoughtfully. "I am sorry bhaiya but it's getting late, I have to go" He sat there watching her leave. Enough was enough. He would go and see Dr. Gupta first thing tomorrow.

Shashank sat by the bed caressing her hair lovingly. Looking around the room he saw the various machines and monitors all plugged in to his baby girl. She was stable now. After 13 grueling hours they were finally able to save her, but, for how long? How long would they keep stabilizing her and for how long would she keep fighting? Eventually she would get tired, she would give up, and the life would drain out of her. His baby girl who was always so full of life and love would soon be lying on this same bed, nothing but a corpse.

She looked so peaceful, she was sleeping, but in reality she was dying. His little Riddhima who was the apple of his eyes was dying. Day by day, minute by minute, second by second her life was being cut short rapidly, and there was absolutely nothing he could do about it. Being a doctor that was the hardest thing to fathom. They were lucky though, they had detected her cancer early, unlike her mom; for whom it was too late. Padma's death had been a huge blow. He had bared it, but Riddhima how could he bare that? She was a part of him, he had made her. Children were not supposed to die before their parents. A parent should not have to cremate or bury their child; it was supposed to be the other way around. Why hadn't god made that a sacred rule?

Kissing her forehead lightly he felt her stir "Shh go back to sleep beta, Papa is here." She relaxed and drifted off to unconsciousness. They had dreamt so much for her, he had wanted her to become a great doctor, he had wanted to give her away at her wedding. He had wanted to run behind her kids just like he had done with her, but now all of that was nothing but a dream. Today, it was a blessing just to see her smiling face every morning. Wiping his tears Shashank forced himself up. He had a worried family to face outside and he couldn't do that with tears. Walking out he turned to look back at his sleeping child. She needed rest. He knew she was tired, after all she had just fought death.

"Shashank, how is she?" Meenaxi was relieved to see her son walk out, It had been 13 hours since she'd last seen him. He looked tired and worried, but what father wouldn't be if your child lay dieing.

"We've stabilized her Ma, don't worry she's fine now"

"Papa, did Riddhu di go to heaven?" He looked down at Minnie who looked petrified. Bending  down to her level he took her in his arms. "No beta, didi is right here with us, she is absolutely fine" He caressed her hair lovingly as she sobbed. One day Riddhima would go to heaven, but he'd be damned if he let that happened soon. He would fight and fight vigorously to keep his child alive.

"Uncle, can we see her" Muskaan & Atul had been there all night, refusing to budge until they knew Riddhima was ok. Shashank smiled weakly at them and nodded his head.

"Debo bhaiya help me open the curtains, Di hates the dark" Gappu walked straight over to the windows and started opening the curtains, he didn't want to look at Riddhima yet, not in the dark when she looked pale as a ghost.

"She's sleeping, right Dadi" Harsh caressed his sisters hand carefully not wanting to wake her. She was frowning, he didn't like her frowning. Riddhu Di had the best smile and the best laugh and that's how he liked her, smiling and laughing.

"I think we should all go and let her rest" Atul kissed her forehead gently and got up to let everyone have their turn.

It was mid-afternoon when Muskaan walked in to her house, tired and exhausted she massaged her neck trying to ease the pain.

"Muskaan, is that you puttar" Paramjit walked out of the kitchen holding a hot cup of tea

"Oh mummy would mind if I can have that tea, I could really use it" Paramjit kissed her daughters cheek and handed over the cup.

"How is Riddhima?"

"She is stable now, still unconscious though, Uncle said hope fully by this evening she'll wake up, and knowing Ridz she would probably be home tomorrow morning."

Paramjit thanked Waheguru and smiled weakly. Riddhima was just like a daughter to her, and why wouldn't she be, Padma and her were best friends since their school days. Padma had even made Paramjit Riddhima's godmother. Paramjit was 5 months pregnant with Muskaan when Riddhima was born, one look at the beautiful child and Paramjit had prayed day and night for a cute baby girl just like her. Waheguru had listened and Muskaan was born exactly 4 months later. Muskaan and Riddhima had clicked instantly; their pranks and mischief had always landed them in trouble at school. No matter how much they grounded the girls they just wouldn't stop. Running over to each others house in the middle of the night to discuss their latest adventure had become the norm.

Padma's death had really affected Paramjit, loosing your best friend, your confidant was not an easy thing; especially one that you had known almost all your life. Just when she had thought god couldn't do any more damage, Riddhima had been diagnosed. It broke her heart to see that child suffer. The images of Riddhima's first day in to the world would always flash in her mind. How could god do this? How could he make an innocent child suffer so much? Was it not enough that her mother had suffered before her?

Coming out of her thoughts she looked over at an exhausted Muskaan. The tea had brought some freshness back to her face but she still looked tired. Her husband and her had dropped off food at the hospital yesterday night. They had requested Muskaan to come home but she had refused. Why wouldn't she, Riddhima was like a sister to her.

"Oh I just remembered, I think you forgot your cell at home, it has been ringing non-stop since yesterday"

Muskaan lazily marched over to her room, who could possibly be calling her so much? Flipping her phone open she saw 30 missed calls from Rahul??!! Staring at the phone in shock she couldn't help but wonder why he had made so many calls. Putting the phone back on her dresser she headed over to the bathroom. She would call him back later, for now all she wanted was a hot shower and a nice long nap.

Atul threw his wallet on the dresser and plopped himself on the bed. It had been a long night. They had been at the hospital since yesterday afternoon. Riddhima had suddenly started coughing violently during economics. They both had been shell shocked to see the blood stains on the handkerchief he had given her. Luckily the professor had allowed him to walk her to the nurse but Riddhima had passed out in his arms right at the entrance of the class. "Somebody call an ambulance" he had yelled frantically as he held her unconscious body in his arms. Muskaan was right next door and had barged out of her class hearing the commotion. The events that followed after that were a blur, he vaguely remembered putting Riddhima on the stretcher and following her in the Ambulance. Muskaan had cried hysterically and as much as he wanted to he just couldn't get her to calm down. The truth was he wanted to cry too.

Atul met Muskaan and Riddhima in second grade. They had moved back to Shimla after his mother had passed away. Omesh Joshi was born and raised in Shimla but had moved to Gurgaon to study medicine. After loosing his wife in a car accident he just couldn't live there anymore, he knew he would never remarry he loved Suchitra too much to have someone replace her. Atul was the shy weird kid who had a soft corner for plants. The kids usually teased him in school but Muskaan and Riddhima never did. He was busy watering some plants during lunch when both of them came and sat down next to him. They smiled warmly at him introducing themselves and what they did next had made his heart melt. They helped him water the plants. Atul was touched and was nearly about to cry when the 2 girls hugged him and asked if he would like to be their friend.

From then on they were known as the 3 Musketeers. Atul was the sweet guy of the group while the girls were the wild ones, maybe that is why Padma doted on him and took him as her own son. Omi and Shashank and had been old friends and Omi had accepted the job as a cardiologist at Sanjeevani. The long hours at Sanjeevani however meant less time for Atul and so Padma had taken the responsibility of looking after Atul. Atul slept at the Gupta's house frequently and was well liked by the family. Muskaan and Riddhima had happily made him their Rakhi brother and would drive him insane if he ever forgot their gifts.

Riddhima's home schooling never affected their bond, Muskaan and him would always rush home after school to give her the latest gossip. Padma's aunty's death however had really hurt, it was like loosing his mother all over again. He thought everything would be ok now but the biggest shocker was yet to come. Riddhima's diagnosis had caught them all by surprise. Shashank uncle had wanted Riddhima to quit school and stay at home, but Riddhima had begged him to let her go back. It was then that Muskaan and he vowed to help her. All the professors and the dean at the college knew of her illness and had agreed to let her attend. Muskaan and Atul would take notes for her and help her complete projects, during the days she was really sick, they would complete the projects for her while she would watch and give her opinion.

Getting up his eyes fell on the picture of 3 of them, It was taken by Padma aunty just a few months before she was diagnosed. The wooden frame was hand made by Riddhima, in bright blue letters it had said "3 Musketeers" he smiled looking at her, laughing; she was always laughing even during the worst of times. Sighing he picked up his towel and headed for a bath. She was ok now and that was all that mattered.

Part 5 

He saw the same rotund lady again, I thought she worked in the ER he mused. She gave him a "not you again" stare which he ignored and flashed his dimples. He saw the immediate smile spread across her chubby face, this was going to be easy.  

"Hello Ji"

"Hello Ms. Uh..Ms?

"Oh Ms. Lovely ji" she replied in delight, he suppressed a chuckle, Lovely what an interesting name

"Oh what a very Lovely name ji?I am Armaan" he saw her blush slightly when he flashed his dimples again.

"So Armaan Ji what can I do for you?"

"I am here to meet Dr. Shashank Gupta" he announced boldly like he had known Dr. Gupta for ages, he hoped she would buy it.

"Dr. Gupta? Uh do you have an appointment?"

"No, but he knows me and it will only take 5 minutes, please" he made the best puppy face he could and patted himself inwardly when he saw her melt.

"Ok, his office is the last door to your right"

"Thank you so much Lovely ji"

*KNOCK KNOCK*

"Come in" Shashank looked up to see an unfamiliar young man enter his cabin "Yes?"

"Uh, Hello sir my name is Armaan Malik"

"And what can I do for you Mr. Malik?" He took the hand the young man offered and motioned him to sit.

"Actually sir, I go to school with Riddhima, I guess you can say we are friends"

"um hum"

"Uh actually sir" this was going to be harder than he expected, but he had to know "Sir, What is wrong with Riddhima, I mean is she sick?" He saw Shashank's face pale with shock but that shock was quickly replaced by anger.

"I am sorry Mr. Malik but as I doctor I can not disclose any information about my patients"

"I am not asking Riddhima's doctor sir. I am asking her father"

"Mr. Malik may I know why I am being asked this personal question?"

He hadn't expected this, did he actually think that Dr. Gupta would reveal all this to him on the basis that he went to school with his daughter? Of course not!

"I am waiting Mr. Malik"

"I like her sir"

"What?" This time the shock did not leave his face. How could it? "Do you have any idea what you are saying Mr. Malik and who you are saying too?"

That was a good question. One even he didn't have the answer too, did he really know what he was saying? Yes, yes he did, he did like her, in fact he liked her very much. She was different from all the others, she was special. He hadn't meant to say it to her father this way, especially when he hadn't even told her, but he had to. Her disappearances had bothered him but the sudden hospitalization had certainly taken the cake. Something was wrong. That he knew, but what it exactly was, he wanted to know and he wanted to know today. Patience was not much of his thing.  

"Yes Sir" it was barely a whisper, but it was heard.

Shashank jumped to his feet, he had enough. He was furious now, how dare this stranger come in to his office and casually announce that he had feelings for his daughter. His Riddhima. His little girl who was dying. He looked at the young boy seated in front of him. His sudden anger hadn't deterred him, he sat firm and determined, his eyes still displaying the questions. This was wrong, very very wrong, he had to stop this, but it was hard. Riddhima was not just his patient but his daughter, telling someone you're child is dying is not easy, not even for a experienced doctor. With moist eyes he made his way towards the door, he had just grabbed the knob when the words left his lips "Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia"

*SLAM*

His ears had been ringing loud, excruciatingly loud; he covered them with his hands and closed his eyes shut. After several minutes he opened his eyes, the pain was gone. The ringing had stopped. Wiping the perspiration from his forehead he looked at his surroundings. He was in the parking lot of the hospital, in his car, his keys sitting on his lap, the same place they had been for the past 10 minutes. He didn't remember the walk back from Dr. Gupta's office. Everything was too blurry, too loud. His mind kept repeating Dr. Gupta's last words and then there was this loud ringing in his ears. It was too painful; he couldn't handle it and so he ran. 10 minutes later, he was still in his car. Absentmindedly he turned the key in the ignition and the car roared to life. He didn't know exactly where to go, so he would just drive.

It wasn't long before his brain started questioning him. How can it be possible? Leukemia? No it couldn't be. Riddhima was so young, so full of life and hope. How can she have Leukemia? It was a mistake, it had to be, right? He needed more answers, god he had so many questions.

He sighed and convinced his mind for the umpteenth time. There was a reason he was sitting outside her driveway. There were lots of reasons. This was right, he needed answers and she would have them, or at least he hoped she would.

"YOU?" She didn't look happy, usually girls would faint seeing him at their doorstep, was he really loosing his charm?

"Can I come in, please"

"What do you want Armaan?" This was a first she mused, College hunk Armaan Mallik inside her house, here to see her, huh wait till the gang gets a load of this.

"Does Riddhima have leukemia?" Her face displayed the anger again, but a poignant one. "Muskaan please, I really need to know"

"It's none of your business Armaan" she was fighting back tears, he could see that.

"It is my business Muskaan, because I am making it my business"

"Why? Why do you care?"

"Because I.." he closed his eyes and Riddhima's laughing image flashed in front of his eyes, he couldn't help but smile. "I like her Muskaan"

"So? A lot of people like her, what's the big deal in that"

He wanted to bang his head against the wall "No, no Muskaan I mean I really like her, you know"

Her mouth hung wide, had she heard him right? "What, you are joking right, you Armaan Mallik the most popular student, the hunk and the captain LIKE Riddhima Gupta? Ha this is some joke right? I mean come on this so isn't possible!"

"It's not a joke Muskaan please believe me, I really like Riddhima and want to get to know her"

She felt her heart drop to her knees. There was sincerity in his words and eyes and it scared her. She wanted to be happy. She had wanted Riddhima to experience love; to experience passion and longing, but it wasn't possible. She wanted to curse god for Riddhima's plight but it wasn't something her parents had taught her. "Armaan I think it would be better if you forget about Riddhima"

"What? But why?"

"What you want is not possible Armaan, so save yourself the trouble"

'What nonsense Muskaan, stop talking in riddles"

"Riddhima's dying Armaan, please try to understand" she turned her face and sobbed hysterically. Admitting it always hurt like hell. She hated being reminded that with each passing day Riddhima was getting closer to death. They had planned so much together. Riddhima, Atul and she had all wanted to become doctors; they had already picked out a school and had decided to board together until they received their MD. Riddhima had forced Atul and her to carry on with their plan, she wanted her best friends become the best doctors. It was unfortunate she would not get to see it; she would be dead by then.

"No, it can't be, it can't be possible. Riddhima is young and healthy..how?.." He thought he felt his heart stop. He had feared this, but for some reason refused to believe it.

"Riddhima has chronic mylogenous leukemia in another words cancer of the blood. A month after her mom died, Riddhima had complained of pain in her leg, we thought she might have sprained it so we ignored it. She had started looking really pale and wouldn't eat much. One day she fainted due to fatigue, it was then that we noticed blood clots on her legs. Uncle immediately hospitalized her and ran some tests. It was a nightmare come true for us. We were lucky though, it was caught early unlike her mom."

He listened intently, her each and every word shot daggers straight at his heart He suddenly understood why she would look pale and fatigued some days. He knew what leukemia was, they had studied it briefly last year, he remembered he hadn't really paid too much attention to the lecture. He was too busy planning for his basket ball game. He remembered about the pale skin though it was a question that was asked on the exam.

"Uh, after her episode on Thursday, she has reached the accelerated stage of the cancer, in another words stage 2." She broke out sobbing again "Her cancer is progressing and.." she choked on her words, after a few minutes she composed herself and turned towards him with a weak smile.

"Riddhima is an amazing girl Armaan and it's so wonderful to hear that you like her, but please don't let that likeness turn into something else. Her short life already has enough pain, please don't give her more. Please stay away from her"

"I am sorry Muskaan but that's not possible, where is she?"

"At home"

"Home?"

"Riddhima hates hospitals she feels suffocated there, she says she doesn't want to spend the last days of her life cooped up in a hospital. She wants to spend them at home with her family, she wants to spend them outside where she can be free and run around like a mad monkey. She wants to spend them with her friends so she can have fun and make more memories. She's crazy I tell you, she's says all this will make her death more peaceful and easy, silly girl" She blinked her eyes fast so the tears could dissolve back in her eyes.

He came towards her and gave her an affectionate hug. "Thanks Muskaan, I have to go see Riddhima, I'll see you later"

"What?" he was gone. Her heart fluttered with happiness, she wanted to squeal in delight. It was wrong, completely wrong but who the hell cared. Life is a bitch and then you die, so why not make the most of what it throws at you. "Omg I have to call Rahul"

Shashank wiped his tears and inhaled deeply. The meeting with Armaan had upset him greatly. He seemed like a nice boy, one he would have considered as a prospective groom for his Riddhima, in the future, but Riddhima had no future. Her cancer had progressed and was still progressing but how? He thought they had it under control. How could they be so wrong? It was hard breaking to the family. They were extremely upset, but Riddhima had smiled. She had told him once about her dream, where she was dying. She said she was happy and at peace. "There was no more pain papa, and I didn't feel sick anymore." She was sick of the pain, sick of the hospital visits, sick of the treatments and sick of the medications. Sometimes he felt he was being selfish, but could you blame him? He was a father, he wanted his child to live and grow in front of him, was that asking for too much?

He let out a sigh, he had made an appointment with Dr. Prasad in Delhi. It was time for another bout of radiation therapy as well as new medications to keep the disease from spreading faster. He knew how upset Riddhima would be but luckily Dr. Prasad had agreed to see her during the weekend, this way Riddhima wouldn't have to miss too much school. Of course she wouldn't be happy with this, but it was the best he could do. He was not going to give up so easily.

"Hello?"

"Oye khote why did you take so long to pick up?"

"Muskaan?"

"No your mom, you idiot!"

"Why are you yelling at me?"

"Then what else should I do, I had to give such vital news and there you were not even picking up your phone, Armaan came to my house and.."

"What, he came to your house? When? Why"

"Shut up and listen would you, he came to inquire about Riddhima, and you know what he told me, he likes Riddhima, OMG can you believe, Armaan Mallik likes Riddhima, my Riddhima" she yelped in excitement.

"Oh thank god, yea I already know about that"

"WHAT????? You already knew about that? Why didn't you tell me?"

"Actually Muskaan?"

"RAHUL GAREWAL I AM NEVER SPEAKING TO YOU AGAIN!!"

**CLICK**

"Hello? Hello Muskaan? God this girl is insane"

*DING DONG*

"Hello beautiful!"

"Papa is not at home"

SLAM! He frowned as the door closed on his face, ok he really must be loosing his touch, first Muskaan and now this.

*DING DONG*

"Hey?"

"Dadi is also not at home" She was about to shut the door again when he quickly put his hand out to stop her

"Minnie I am not here to see your Papa or your Dadi, I am here to see your Didi, can you tell me where she is?"     

"Come with me" He followed her obediently like a small child, she took him towards the back yard where the rest of the gang was scattered. In between it all he saw Riddhima sitting by a gas stove making roti?

"Today I am making the food, would you like to eat the food prepared by me?" She was wearing a green salwaar-kameez, it was the first time he had seen her in one. Her hair were tied in a loose bun causing a few strands to come on her face. Her large gold jhumkas swayed lightly with the breeze, kissing her cheeks. She looked gorgeous.

He took a seat that Minnie offered and stared at her fondly. She didn't look sick, it didn't feel as if she was fighting a deadly disease, she seemed normal, so very normal.

"so you know what's wrong with you?"

"uh-uhn" she scrunched her nose and nodded her head, something he found extremely cute

"Chronic Myelogenous Luekemia accelerated stage or cancer of the blood at stage 2, is a clonal bone marrow stem cell disorder. There are 3 phases to CML, Chronic, Accelerated & Blast crisis. In the accelerated phase, the patient usually develops anemia the number of white cells may go up or down or the number of platelets may drop. The accelerated stage also means the cancer is progressing and headed towards the blast crisis stage. Once the cancer reaches the blastic stage a bone marrow transplant is required or the person dies."  Harsh pushed up his large glasses and went back to reading his book.

"And the story is finished" Minnie put her arms around Riddhima's neck from behind and rocked her back and forth.

"After knowing all this, how can you be so happy and carefree?"

"You see these trees and plants Armaan, one day they will all die. Debo, Gappu, Harsh, Muskaan, Atul everyone will die and this gap mouth Minnie she will also die, heck even you will die, so I will die too. The only difference is that I will be dying a few days before the rest of you, so don't you think the person whose life is already so short, should be living more. And who knows what the future holds. All that matters is today. Live and Let live, that's my motto in life, so if you're hungry pick up a plate if not then you are welcome to leave. Minnie show this gentleman the door."

He smiled and picked up a plate. Her bantering had sparked something in him. She was so positive and absolutely right. Who knows what the future holds? He had so many dreams and aspirations, what if they didn't come true? He had never thought of that, everything was already thought out for him, he never even once considered about what if there was no tomorrow. His father had always pressured him to be the best, best in studies, best in sports even best with girls. He had gone on many dates with many girls, all of whom were dreary and dull. No one was like Riddhima; spontaneous and vivacious. The other girls bored him to death but Riddhima; she excited him. Listening to her he suddenly wanted to live in the moment too! He wanted to do something crazy, something wild. He wanted to fall in love with her..or maybe he already had.

"So how come you never come to anyone of our basketball games?" he had to ask, it had been bothering him for a while now.

"Basketball! Eew you call that a sport?"

"Oh then what you call a sport?"

"Cricket and my personal favorite Gilli Danda"

"Huh? Gilli Danda? What's that?"

"you don't know what Gilli Danda is?" she was shocked, no wonder he played Basketball, he was a product of the Goras.

"No?" he felt foolish, but he really didn't know what it was, he would have to ask Rahul and that too immediately.

"Every Sunday the gang and I play cricket, meet us tomorrow at noon by the lake  and we'll show you what gilli danda is, but you better be on time!"

Part 6

The update for this was long over due, and I felt awful having neglected my favorite work. I hope you all still remember this story. I am sure most of you have forgotten where I last left off (I know I did) if so then please go up and read part 5. I just realized that it has been exactly 2 months since I last updated this, Yikes! I hope that doesn't happen again! Ciao chicas!

He picked up his favorite vest and sweats and headed for the shower. Letting the cold water hit his warm body he shivered with delight. Picking up his cinthol soap he couldn't help but remember the old Vinod Khanna ad he used to watch as a kid; "Body Confidence" he mimicked and shook his head laughing at the memory. Stepping out of the shower he admired his muscles and his famous tattoos in the mirror, scratching his head he grinned sheepishly, he was definitely loosing it. 

"Armaan?" Sadhna walked in with a basket of clean laundry to see Armaan tying his shoes ready to leave. He would usually be back in bed around this time after his morning jog. 

"Yea Mom"

"Where are you going beta?"

"Uh, I am going to play cricket and gilli danda"

"What?" Sadhna sat the basket down and stared at him in disbelief. Gilli Danda? Forget the game she mused did her son even know what the name meant?

"Yea, uhm Riddhima is teaching me"

"Oh Riddhima, no wonder you are up and about, it's not because of the anticipation of knowing the game, it's about Riddhima" Sadhna laughed as she saw Armaan's face go red, her boy was in love and he probably didn't even know it.

"It's nothing like that, okay mom, she's just a friend" Armaan tried to cover his blush but he knew his mother hadn't missed it.

"Oh sure sure, the we are "just friends" title, I have heard that a million times"

"Stop Ma, I gotta go, Riddhima will kill me if I am late" He bit his tongue as the last bit slipped out, quickly grabbing his keys he made a run for it before his mom came at him again.

"You're late! And that too by 5 whole minutes!" He gulped, the women looked ready to kill, all because he was 5 minutes late?

Riddhima stared at him in anger; she hated waiting especially when time was already running out for her. Every minute was precious, especially now when death was almost awaiting outside her door. All she had to do now was wait for it to knock, she would have no option but to open and then she would be gone. 

"I am sorry" he muttered sheepishly which sounded rather foreign to him as it came out. He had never really had to apologize to any one before especially not to a girl. Girls usually didn't mind waiting for him. 

"Your sorry won't cut it next time understood!" She marched away furiously followed by a giggling Minnie. He walked behind them like a lost lamb thinking how utterly adorable she looked when she was upset. They came to a sudden hault causing him slightly push Minnie who banged right in to Riddhima causing her to fall face first.

He tried hard to suppress his laughter but it came out anyway. The image of her lying on the floor with her hair all over her was quite the sight, but the best part he had to admit was when she got up and had the grass sticking to her entire right. She glared and he shut up immediately. Dusting herself off Riddhima warned him to behave with her finger. Obviously this was not his day, this was the second time he had upset her, it was 3 strikes and you're out at the old ball game so he better behave.

Riddhima smiled as she remembered how keenly he had observed the game of Gilli Danda. The poor soul had never heard of such a game before. Of course she mused why would a rich, spoiled basket ball captain would know the game of the little people? She stopped for a second and reiterated the words she had just used to describe him, her eyes popped in disbelief when it struck her that the hot stud captain of the Basket ball team was here playing a game of Gilli Danda with her. Come to think of it he had been popping up more than often. There was time when neither he nor she knew of each others presence and now wherever she went he would be there. The feelings this aroused inside her were unsettling, why was he suddenly talking to her? Why was he spending time with her? Why was he being nice to her? Her trail of thoughts were interrupted when she heard the loud voices of Muskaan and her brother Sandeep, but as she turned she was surprised to see a disgruntled looking Rahul following suit.

"What's going on Ridz, first Armaan and now Rahul?" Atul stated a bit curiously. Riddhima nearly jumped as she heard his voice. She had completely forgotten that Atul would be joining them for cricket today. He had missed out on a few games due to his exhibitions and had promised to be back in action as soon as he could.

"Atul, I think it's obvious that Rahul likes her, haven't you been noticing how he's always staring at her and trying to get her attention?" Riddhima smiled warmly as she watched Muskaan give an earful to Rahul for some reason or the other.

"And Armaan? What's his story? Why is he always staring at you? Why is he suddenly always around you?" Riddhima frowned as Atul's words registered in her mind. They were the same thoughts that had been lingering in her head before Muskaan had so thunderously made her appearance. Once again he thoughts were diverted as Rahul and Armaan came towards them.

"Hi man what's up?" Armaan raised his hands to high five but Atul merely shrugged. Armaan could tell he was not pleased with his and Rahul's presence, especially around Riddhima and Muskaan. He knew Atul was protective, he had observed how careful he was with Riddhima, especially on the days she was sick. He hoped they could become friends; Atul and him. He seemed like a nice guy.

"Looks like he doesn't really like us very much" Rahul sneered once Atul and Riddhima had walked off.

"They have been friends since childhood Rahul, he loves those girls. You can't blame a man for being protective about the women loves, come on lets play ball" Armaan patted Rahul's back and headed over to where the rest of the gang stood waiting.

Armaan didn't remember the last time he had this much fun. The game was going great! His team was loosing and no game had ever felt so better. Atul was still a little distant and he always made sure Riddhima and Muskaan kept a safe distance from him and Rahul. Still, Armaan couldn't help but like the guy. It was Riddhima's turn to bat and he had to admit the woman looked hot and dangerous with the bat in her hand. He had been too busy staring at her to notice that she had just hit a sixer, but what he did notice was that the minute she had hit that ball, she had collapsed.

He had been the first to get to her, while every one else rushed behind. Her face was pale and her body was cold. Fear formed in his gut like a volcano. He couldn't comprehend much, one moment her head was in his lap and the other she was being carried away by Atul. He sat panting on the ground lost and confused. It was not until Rahul dragged up him and forced him to walk with him that he realized what had happened. Pushing Rahul away Armaan ran towards the direction Atul had taken her. The volcano in him had finally erupted.

"Please Leave" Armaan came to a sudden stop when Atul stepped in front of him and the door that led to Riddhima

"Atul, please I only"

"I said please leave"

"Atul's right Armaan, I think it would be better if you left right now, Rahul please take him home"

"Muskaan how could you..?"

"Please Armaan I beg you, for now please leave, uncle is in there checking her right now, I promise I will keep you informed of her well being" Muskaan tried hard to sound stern but the current situation refused to allow her some composure. Why couldn't god give Riddhima one day without any pain?

As they stepped out they had a solemn looking Minnie sitting on the steps, staring aimlessly at the ground. She looked up at him, with her empty eyes and asked him something that pierced his heart in to two.

"Is she dead?"

The question left him rooted for a minute, he didn't what it was, but something compelled him to sit beside the child and hold her for some time.

"No Minnie, she's going to be ok"

"Liar!" Minnie yelled and pushed herself out of his arms. "You all are liars, she's not going to be ok, she's dead isn't she? She's left me just like my mom, my dad and my padma mom. She's gone isn't she? Why?" The child sat on the floor and sobbed hysterically causing the rest of the family members to rush out with the commotion "Daaaadi, I don't want Ridhu Di to die, I don't want her to leave me, please ask her not to die daadi please" The grandmother held the wailing child close, trying her level best to shush her, but Minnie's cries were breaking her strength.

"Hush Minnie beta, Ridhu Di is ok, she's sleeping, she's very tired from playing na beta, that's all" The Daadi rubbed the girl back trying to sooth her pain but Minnie only retorted "You are lying, Ridhu Di told me herself that she was going to God just like Mumma, I don't like god, why is she taking Ridhu Di away from me, Daadi tell him to stop" Minnie hit her daadi angrily as the old women lifted her and carried her inside.

"Armaan I think it would be better if we go" He gave the house a longing look before Rahul and him drove away.

Muskaan has called an hour after they had reached home to inform them that Riddhima was ok. She had simply been dehydrated which in her condition could prove dangerous. Luckily, everything was ok and Riddhima was now resting. She had also informed him that Riddhima would be leaving for Delhi tomorrow. Initially they had planned to head out Wednesday afternoon so Riddhima wouldn't miss a whole week of school, but it now seemed better to leave ASAP. Of course Atul and Muskaan were accompanying her.

After the conversation, he had felt agitated. He felt so helpless with the whole situation. He had admitted finally to Rahul during their trip home, that he felt strongly for Riddhima. He had never felt this way about another woman, and mind you he'd had many. Remembering Riddhima's cold body lying in his lap had nearly broken him. She had and he hated to admit it, looked dead, in his arms. He had never felt such pain in his heart as he did today. What made everything worse was, that he could not be there with her, he could not hold her while she slept, he could not ease her pain; he had absolutely no right over her.

In frustration he threw the phone away he was holding. He did not want to hear about Riddhima's well being over the phone; instead he wanted to be there, holding her hand when she awoke. Throwing on his jacket he grabbed the keys as he ran out. Enough was enough; it was about time he did something about his feelings.

Riddhima awoke to the irritating knocking at her window. It surprised her at first but then remembering her many nightly adventures with Muskaan through the window made her smile as she got up to see what her friend could possibly be up to.

"Armaan" Shock was not the right word to describe her reaction upon seeing him climb through her window.

"Hi Riddhima, how are you feeling? And what are you doing out of bed? It's chilly out!" Riddhima watched him horrified as he led her back to her bed. Had she lost her mind? Or was Armaan Malik ushering her to bed?

"Armaan" she gasped and pushed him back towards the window "What the heck are you doing here? Have you lost your mind? What if someone saw you? What if my family finds out? OMG worse what if my papa finds out? Oh no, leave, leave right now, As much as I like too, I don't even want waste time to hear your reason for dropping by to see him at such an odd hour and that too through my window!"

"Riddhima, wait listen to me, Riddhima" he grabbed her by the waist and purposely slammed her body against his. She stared at him in horror but lowered her eyes instantly realizing the position they were in

"Armaan please"

"Shh Riddhima look at me please" Reluctantly she lifted her gaze and found him staring at her intently. It was doing something to her, stirring something inside her that she'd never known existed. She swallowed hard, not breaking the eye contact. "Why are you here Armaan?"

"I think I have fallen in love with you Riddhima" he whispered hoarsely in to her ear, draining the blood right out of her.

Edited by simran1285 - 14 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

perfectpiscean thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
A truly awesum concept...On the contrary of my being speechless rarely, i must admit i am speechless now! And totally hooked to the intro =D

Please PM me once u do upd8...And do begin this one soon😳

-Marisha😳
artizia thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
hey simran count me as ur reader dear..started reading ur manzil ..and i was hopeing for an update ...😉

this is one masterpeice of yours dear ....keep up
hinz thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 9
aww that was beautiful Simi
looking forward to how life treats them

cont soon

Hina
mishti4maan thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
awww sounds really gd. continue soon
spln thumbnail
um hokked seat belt on n ready for the journey to begin....simla...aaha!!!!...gosh i love ua ll for taking me back so close to home, i hated simla sorry to say hehe...but oh well it reminds me of too much i was n will alwaz be in love with!!!...thanx simmy...

ps: still madly waiting for the the other AR update hun!!
pwincess kanzi thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
really awsum concept! quite sad, but a romantic sweet love stry! i m lookin forward to readin mre! plz do pm me if u hve tme and if u dnt mind! i ill bn w8in 4 ure pm!
Catwoman thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Chak Di .....Three FF ....SIMRAN WELCOME TO THE MAD HSE!!

Omg i remember that film...she teachs him about life and how to live again and alll..... Man 90 my era with  films like Dil / Aashiqui! Man i still love that song track and Kumar Sanu kicked started the 90 with some great hits and allllllllll...................❤️  *sigh* memories!! lol

Wow great Intro and all.... I have to say Sim u giving us some great pieces

Love Kat

simran1285 thumbnail
Thank you everyone for the wonderful comments, they are very encouraging🤗

simran1285 thumbnail

Originally posted by: spln

um hokked seat belt on n ready for the journey to begin....simla...aaha!!!!...gosh i love ua ll for taking me back so close to home, i hated simla sorry to say hehe...but oh well it reminds me of too much i was n will alwaz be in love with!!!...thanx simmy...

ps: still madly waiting for the the other AR update hun!!

aww NJ so sorry to hear about your dislike of shimla, I have never been so can't say😆 I hope the memories were pleasant at least😳